(Stall) Daunting Dreadnoughts, Come Celebrate!

Brace yourself, the old clippers, war galleons and steamboats have come to make their cannons heard in the stormy seas of the pokebank. Bolstered with shiny cannons from distant lands, these old interceptors are more dangerous. Weapons archived as a footnote in history because of their sheer deadly force have been reawakened for the impending war. But our fleet has battleships outfitted with tested steel and flawless tactics. These unsinkable monsters are well commandeered and carry firepower that will sink the lightweight vessels that try to tame the stormy seas.

As much as I hate the decision that smogon made to allow threats like genesect, blaziken, deoxys, shaymin-s, soul dew lati@s, and all the banned incarnate forms back into OU, I was presented with a rare opportunity. I have been working on producing a team so good that it can sail the rough seas inhabited by these unspeakable monsters. And although some have been sent back to their proper watery depth, many still remain and show no sign of leaving. So, my work to develop a stall team that could not only hang with but defeat these monsters began. Load up the chain shot because we're about to tear down the once-proud sails of the navies in OU. My second fleeted team is ready for inspection on the Maiden Voyage.

To start a stall team, you must have a very solid core. This core might not show it, but solid is this core's middle name. Mega-venusaur, as it is my mega, is the best defensive grass type in the game. I say that with complete certainty, as the combination of thick fat and his huge defensive stats made him a tank only falling to psychic and flying types. Mandibuzz is one of the most fantastic defensive flying types which would wall psychic and can take any physical flying move. Offering dual immunities, Mandi also on paper would have plenty of times to come in and use defog or return fire.

Both Venusaur and Mandi have reliable recovery. Venusaur's is kind of rated as unreliable due to weather, but this is 6th gen and weather isn't as prominent. Nevertheless, any stall team better have a cleric, if not just for heal bell. Of course, chansey was a great choice giving wish bombs as well. Heatran was added as a mixed wall. Heatran is generally my one and only non-recovery stall weapon, having the useful double immunity and tons of resists. Also pairs well with venusaur and mandi. Mandi takes eq for heatran who takes fairies for mandi. Heatran takes psychic and flying for venusaur and venusaur can absorb fighting/eq for heatran. Also, non-mega venusaur baits fire moves.

I was looking to have some fight weakness, so I looked to solve that. The team was begging for a grass weakness, so I gave it two. Slowbro is my idea of a mega luc counter, or at least the best I can manage against a physical mega lucario. And then there's derpsire, who forever shall be burned from my team for his unholy inability to function. It should've been the crew plus the wackass platypus. But he was my last chance vs dragonite and anything that would set up on me. I really shouldn't have bothered, this team was so solid that setups were rare enough and he wasted a spot. Well, I would argue he was a wasted spot regardless.

Other former members:

After a brief tangent with trevenant, I went to a special defensive wall that fit solidly into whatever void quagsire MIGHT'VE made. Milotic had the base defenses to wall off a lot of threats and dragon tail to phaze anything to set up. Coupled with rest talk and chansey's heal bell, I had an acceptable set-up sweep stopper. Dnite replaced Milotic as he has more bulk off multiscale, a more powerful hit and more reliable recovery. He also develops himself as a second lucario counter (Lacking ice punch...). Mandi served long and hard for the dreadnoughts and may one day return for us in the crows nest. Unfortunately, the team needed a mega pinsir check. Mandi was the hero the dreadnoughts deserved but not the one they need right now. Clefable was really good as a dedicated dragon counter, but often had no place in the match. With huge upside but also games where clef wasn't even helpful beyond fodder, I needed to move away. Cofagrigus weathered the kangaskhan storm better than any other pokemon and gave this team hope in the darkest times. His place, while he'll no longer have any room on the team, was pivotal when he was here.

The current members:

The final variant is a little less pink than usual but has skarmory and Tornadus-T filling in and reporting for duty. Skarmory already has his sea legs and is running well. Tornadus-T may seem like an odd choice, but he fulfills his roles with no issues whatsoever. The team has changed a great deal since I began. However, the team functions as a unit and is running a heck of a lot better than it was. The team relies on keeping health and hazards and finding time to get attacks in. Phazing when you know the opponent is going to switch and forcing another switch if possible. This is the crew, and I think they work together pretty well.

This team's objective is to constantly keep it's members usable in any situation. A worn down stall team is a sweepable stall team and so all members will be as close to full health as possible at any time. All statuses must be accounted for eventually and keeping rocks up is very necessary so the phazing and switches can take a toll.

Venusaur is the hull of this massive ship. He's the new 'Old Iornside'. Punching through the thick fat of this monster is only useful if you can get through the hulls before they're patched up. Alright, yes. He isn't the most awesome looking mega ever, but he probably has the most leg strength of any mega. He carries a freaking palm tree on his back. Not only that, you could light the tree up like a candle and he wouldn't be bothered.

With incredible defensive bulk, the only thing mega venusaur DOESN'T stop (unboosted) is a psychic stab or flying stab pokemon. Earthquake was added to stop Heatran from checking my set. Mega venusaur must be commonly ran as a physical threat because all people do is try and burn me. These burns make it difficult to hit full powered EQs, but the set was otherwise walled by steels. The idea is to get him to mega as quickly as possible and then laugh as people can't do anything to him. Set up bait? Not when you add roar. Giga drain allows more recovery than his measly 8 synthesis can provide.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Roar

Last edited November 21, Spread changed. Thanks to RDJcobian and McBarrett for the suggestions.

Comparable only to a mine sweeping jet, skarm provides the counter-air and counter-hazard support this team so desperately needs. Packed with ammo for air to air combat in brave bird, Skarmory is the best check to the unheralded best pokemon in the OU tier, mega pinsir. Equipped with 16 depth charges and counter-explosive munitions, skarmory can also clear the water of the sneaking hazards that can hurt this team.

Boasting a massive defense, this is one bird you don't want to mess with physically one on one. Skarmory is my last hope against huge offensive threats, providing great typing and massive defenses to win most tough fights. Battered and bruised, it can roost off some health given the chance to go again. Brave bird was decided to help more than Rock slide by multiple calcs and in practice the recoil is not enough to cause death to mega pinsir. Defog can get stalled out by rocks, so that is worrying.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Changed on November 24, 2013. Thanks to Yuttt, McBarrett, and Mitchhh for the assitance and help. BB selection suggested by Seevea, AdamLambert, Yuttt again and Gennosuke Fujiki.

Heatran is the same old same old lava tank. He is the essential main cannon of this dreadnought. He sets the depth charges, fires off the main cannons, and even has his own boat horn. Unfortunately, cannons get destroyed easily and are really difficult to repair. Realistically, his roll hasn't changed much. Be massive, be a tank, and wall everything that a steel type walls. Health recovery is an issue, but not when you have chansey. Talonflame is generally checked, but if it decides to stay in, talonflame can eat ancient power. And on the rare boosts, it's basically game over. EV set was adjusted to standard Special defense after acro gem was not found in XY.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power

EVs adjusted. Thanks Articblast for the reminder. 12.20.13

November 18, 2013: Set update as suggested by Blue Cheez and Yuttt

Hey look! The most stereotypical stall pokemon ever! Chansey is obviously the supply ship accompanying the Dreadnought. Yes, chansey is literally not even a part of the boat. What's it going to do, fire it's seismic tossing lasers? Occasionally yes, but set up bait is all chansey is against a pokemon with recovery.

But let's be real, chansey is hands down the best non-weather cleric in the game. Most clerics are specially defensive (emphasized by fairy type) but chansey destroys the idea of specially defensive with her eviolite set. Huge health bombs, heal bell and the ability to switch into any special threat in the game. What more can you ask for from the world's pinkest sponge?

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

Well, this guy is definitely not the ship's engine... but this slow monster is realistically the firefighters and resident commandos of the battleship. If someone manages to start setting up, slowbro can come in and tank most hits. Of course, in the case of mega lucario, slowbro has to come in the turn mega luc swords dances/nasty plot the first time to have any hope of winning (or have a teammate deal prior damage and take one +2 attack), but that's still pretty successful. The dedicated multi-purpose pivot and revenge killer, slowbro has great coverage with water/fire/psychic moves, walled only by specific dragons (Aka lati@s, hydreigon). I thought about ice beam to solve this but it really isn't worth it. Heatran is the go-to for the pokes that wall slowbro.

I haven't found many issues with slowbro but for his inability to handle rotom wash. I do actually let him take the volt switch unless I see a pursuit trapper because I can recover at least half the damage on switch out and waste no time switching over hazards. As a walling poke, his newly gained assault vest (courtesy of the Navy Spheals) gives him the ability to take on many threats.

Slowbro (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Scald

Updated 12.14.13

The latest captain of this ship, whom I nickname Nimitz for all intents and purposes. He does good, going after mega lucario, forming a regenerator core with slowbro, and steering the ship with his massive wings.

Tornadus-T was an interesting decision that I was uncomfortable with on a stall team but slowly grew to like. Every issue I had, Tornadus-t seemed to fill, besides the few dragons that bug me slightly. But his sheer speed and versatile move pool has made him the clear option to keep this ship on course. He doesn't counter many offensive pokemon, but he takes care of almost all of them. When not needed, he gives good momentum and damages pokemon severely even without using stab moves. When needed, however, he has yet to fail me. He doesn't mind not being a main switch-in, but serves his purpose well and is hard to wear down. I like his sheer ability and should new threats emerge, I believe TornT can't have a small adjustment to handle them as well.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 SDef / 184 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Air Slash
- Knock Off

Adjusted to Torn 12.20.13

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stall-daunting-dreadnoughts.3492583/page-2#post-5039515
This is the reference of the ideal ways to beat all the OU threats with this team. Post 45 in this thread.

So yeah, reviews are nice. Still a few flaws here or there, but if you do decide to use this team, just remember that no pokemon here was designed to be a direct counter to any other pokemon. Every loss hurts, yes, especially on a team so intricately designed. That being said, the team can deal with a few different cores being set up if need be.

This team functions off a Fire/Water/Grass core to start, but can also be said to run a steel/water/grass (which allows for heatran or skarm to fill that core). Ghost/Steel/Flying is one of the core concepts if you lose Bro and Venu, as well as SkarmBliss+Cofagrigus, which not only covers special/physical well, but has bulky mixed support and covers all weaknesses to Cofagrigus/Chansey.

Slowbro, Chansey and venusaur most likely have final EV spreads.

Reuniculus has proven in some testing from others to be a huge issue. I don't think that it is worth adjusting the team for given the usage and commonness of the exact set needed (which, I won't discuss simply because that kind of hurts this team in doing so) but Torn-T can at least ware it down after every loss. Slowbro comes in clutch in tanking here, but the best hope is to get rid of all those focus blasts and then handle with Heatran/Chansey.

On the note of counters and issues, I'd say the biggest issue is mega lucario. His ability to be special or physical and my lack of having a move anywhere on the team that can OHKO him (lava plume might but GL with using heatran on luc...) make him an insane threat. Preferably, control him with Slowbro/Venu/Skarm and you can manage. It'll still hurt and nothing straight up counters him.

Mega Pinsir is now a huge threat. I mean come on, this guy has a monstrous base attack, an ability that makes his moves even more deadly, and huge BP normal moves to make use of aerialate. Skarm CAN hardcounter, but make sure skarm is working up full health vs him.

Kyurem-B deserves a spot as well. Basically, the bane of any stall team, if you don't outspeed, you're going to die. I kind of have to attempt dealing with him through heatran and praying he has no earth power.

Blissey and chansey are both incredibly difficult to kill. Neither are really offensive threats, but their ability to support the opponent's team is dangerous. Hopefully, skarm will keep these two at bay with brave bird/taunt.

Added:
Mixed Garcomp, I have no answer for. This thing is probably along the same lines of Kyurem, even sharing the stat mixture. It is probably even stronger, however, and has a better movepool to sport. I can kind of contain devoted attack variants.

Psyshock Latios/Alakazam are annoyingly hard to drop. Though I would imagine we won't even let Latiosite into the game on the grounds of it probably being stronger than soul dew, that is worrying once that is released. But still they both are incredibly difficult to drop.

A minor note: Pain split is ANNOYING. Especially on Rotom-wash. While this team really has no issues with rotom wash, he does generally rob the health if you've been careful to keep it making him a lose-lose situation vs pain split. Generally, use Venusaur to gigadrain back all that you lose, but if he turns out (and pivots are annoying), it's going to be rough. Suggested roar on all pivot turns.

Apparently, Bisharp. How? No idea. But if I'm not prepared for that thing, it's knock off is apparently strong enough to dish major damage. I was stunned to see it hit 40%+ on multiple physical walls with no boost (even if it was LO...)

Please help with adjusting the team for these threats are priority, especially underlined ones. They are more difficult to deal with and just their presence spells almost certain doom.

Slowbro (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Scald

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 SDef / 184 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Air Slash
- Knock Off

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Relaxed Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Roar

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

I owe many thanks to McBarrett for tirelessly helping me test these stall teams. Through the finalizing part of a team, there is no one better than him to help perfect a team.

Tst_100 (Aka RDJacobian) for the same reason, but his help was more crucial to the overall shape of the team as he and I fought multiple 100+ turn matches (and even one 200+ turn) to figure out the weaknesses.

Yuttt for his stall suggestions and general comedic effects during long matches. Also, I'm taking you down on the 5th gen OU ladder. And now thanks for helping with that 430 turn battle. Not too many people have that kind of patience.

Blue cheez and Yuttt for insistence on toxic > seismic toss on blissey.

Orda for showing me the magic of mega venusaur.

RDJacobian and McBarrett again for their suggestions on the SDef Mega venu.

RS for introducing me to Mandibuzz. Watching him play is like an educational how-to of pokemon. Even without Mandi now on the team, the suggestion was critical to this team ever working in the beginning.

Seevea for going through the top 50 to check up on the threat lists to this team. Also, his suggestion of clefable may save this team a lot of issues from Kyurem-b and the still-strong dragons of OU.

And nog because he probably helped. I just don't know/remember how.

Yuttt, Mitchhh, and McBarrett for their suggestions on using skarmory and a mega pinsir counter. Mitchhh especially helped with looking for checks for mega pinsir. Seevea, Gennusuke Fujiki, Yuttt, and AdamLambert all suggested Brave bird to be soul attack as a better option for Mega pinsir.

Last edited:
Pretty solid team here Aj. How much work is Milotic putting in? If you change it to anything, you can try a mixed wall dnite as a phazer. The set would look something like so:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake/Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Outside of changing milotic for dnite, not much to be messed with, good luck with the team man. Credit goes to Yuttt for the Dnite set.

Last edited:

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I agree with Nog, Milotic seems to be redundant when you already have Slowbro. It also seems like there's not enough in the entry hazards department, as Heatran is the lone user of SR, which puts quite a bit of pressure on him. I'd replace Milotic by:

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy or Flamethrower or Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This would give you a Special Defender, another hazard setter, Unaware, Toxic, and more anti-status sentiment if you choose Aromatherapy over beating Steel types.
Well, nice team, good luck on perfecting it =]

I agree with Nog, Milotic seems to be redundant when you already have Slowbro. It also seems like there's not enough in the entry hazards department, as Heatran is the lone user of SR, which puts quite a bit of pressure on him. I'd replace Milotic by:

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy or Flamethrower or Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

This would give you a Special Defender, another hazard setter, Unaware, Toxic, and more anti-status sentiment if you choose Aromatherapy over beating Steel types.
Well, nice team, good luck on perfecting it =]
Illegal set. Clefable can't get Unaware with softboiled. Also cannot get Aromatherapy with Softboiled.

I think your need of a phazer may lead you to use Hippodown where he gets both SR and whirlwind. This opens up another move slot for Heatran to use WoW. Also it would be able to get sandstorm which Mandibuzz and Heatran are immune to and then get residual damage up. Also adding Excadrill or tentacruel so that rapid spin is available would be a good idea because Mandibuzz is weak to SR.

Pretty solid team here Aj. How much work is Milotic putting in? If you change it to anything, you can try a mixed wall dnite as a phazer. The set would look something like so:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake/Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Outside of changing milotic for dnite, not much to be messed with, good luck with the team man.
I recently changed Milotic's spread to 252HP/4Att/182Def/70SDef and a relaxed nature (plus defense, minus speed). Really, I wouldn't say under performing, but just not spectacular. Also, I feel the need to update the threat list to offensive celebi, as leaf storm/psychic/earth power will run this team through (although hard countered by mandi). Faced one yesterday, I just had assumed the didn't exist anymore.

I like the Dnite idea with the exception of his rock weakness, making it rather hard for me to come in. Mandi and Dnite would both be rock weak and would present intense problems for me if I was getting double switched on.

Unfortunately, I've never been a fan of clefable. If I were to use an unaware set, it would just run heal bell over aromatherapy (since apparently doesn't work). Unfortunately, the basis of an unaware poke would be to have some defense boosting move like cosmic power to take care of issues with the big attackers. But even at that, I probably wouldn't have enough attack stat when using stored power. Completely walled by dark, and probably needs a recovery move anyways. Rest?

But yes, Milotic does seem to have a bit of a weak spot. The team is functioning too well without her and she rarely adds anything the others can't do other than be a water phazer (making a w.f.g. core of phazers?). I might look into dnite and clefable, but clef seems to be disadvantaged by no wish/recovery.

I think your need of a phazer may lead you to use Hippodown where he gets both SR and whirlwind. This opens up another move slot for Heatran to use WoW. Also it would be able to get sandstorm which Mandibuzz and Heatran are immune to and then get residual damage up. Also adding Excadrill or tentacruel so that rapid spin is available would be a good idea because Mandibuzz is weak to SR.
I've used hippowdon on a very similar team, but it hurts mega venusaur and blissey more than it benefits mandi and heatran. With those two not having leftovers, sandstorm is about as annoying as a burn if I have to have them in. It unfortunately also stops synthesis from working well. Plus, running across mega garchomp, you effectively give him the tools he needs to completely demolish a team. Personally, from a slot standpoint, willowisp is not as effective for a heatran running lava plume.

Also, with the move of Mega blaziken and deoxys back to their home, venusaur loses two of his best checks in the game. (Brave bird blaz hurt). Still waiting on genesect and kan to go back. If anything, blaziken in ubers means even less need for milotic and my team is no longer so destroyed by a 150.150 mix attacker. Aegi? Who cares... It can't do anything to the majority of this team to begin with.

Last edited:
Hey Aj, the team is obviously solid and once the obvious bans are implemented it'll serve you very well (ie mega luke, gene, mega gengar, and potentially mega kangaskhan).

While uncommon on ladder, physically oriented Kyurem-b sets look problematic. One way of working around this is by using a rocky helmet physically defensive heatran. Another recommendation I have is to use will-o wisp over ancient power if you decide to use physically defensive heatran - if you predict the switch to duggy it prevents you from getting trapped by him. I see that investing heatran's evs in defense puts chansey under a lot of pressure to beat special attackers, but it's possible to look into making mega-venu more specially defensive to accomodate for this.

Hopefully, this helped and good luck with the team ^^

Cool team, AJ

First of all, I like using at least either 88+ or 172 neutral Def EVs on Tran, so avoid being KOd by the combination of a +2 Flying Gem Acro followed by a +2 regular acro from Talonflame after SR. Just in case

Secondly, Mandibuzz really appreciates Taunt, so I would suggest putting that over either foul play or Knock off, preferably the latter. This might not work out, so you should test it first.

Something I like is running rest on Heatran, possibly over Roar, but this is just preference.

Definitely run Softboiled>Protect on Chansey, it's just much better. I would suggest then replacing wish with Toxic, but this is, again, preference.

I'll be back with some suggestions later, probably, or on PS!, I should test the team. And please, I am never losing my #1 spot.

Definitely adjusting the heatran ev spread. I'm going with the neutral 172 spread because it gives just a bit more special bulk (and apparently 2 less physical, but the +5 on special side was more helpful).

I'm very tentative about a wish adjustment at all, as occasionally protect is critical because of very few safe switches out and low health. It is rather hit-miss, so I'll look into it.

Rest>Roar heatran is an option if I end up with another heal bell somewhere. As it is, I rarely come out to chansey with the exception of monstrous special attacks that need walling.

Taunt on mandi is really, really good, I know... but I haven't gotten a good speed ev spread nor do I know what I intend to outspeed with taunt.

As of right now, I am looking into Dnite>Milotic and it seems to be working, especially on the grounds of a second mega luc counter. With no rocks up, dnite can come in and blast luc on a neutral/neutral switch. Basically, if slowbro dies, dnite is going to finish the job.

Alright, Yuttt and I just had a 430 turn battle to test the team against his working stall team.
Some things I noted:
For Mandi: Knock off>foul play (I ran foul play, completely ineffective). Taunt, however, worked beautifully. So I'll be changing that set soon.
For Dragonite: He's working, occasionally. I have started thinking about cofagrigus over him. It looks like milotic has lost her spot permanently but I'm not sure how long Dnite keeps it. Then again, this was Yuttt's set originally and he had a perfect counter for it.
For Heatran: Yuttt was suggesting rest>Roar. For such a long battle, yes. Mine died because of residual damage and just inability to get a wish to a 1% health heatran. (Also, shuffling gyara)
For Slowbro: Suggested Gyara over him, but I think I'm going to have to decline. He sponged probably close to 5000 damage that game and regenerator was crucial to recovery long after most of my pokemon were out.
For Mega-Venusaur: I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't run Earthquake>Sludge bomb. Fairies are a mild threat at worse, and so I can't justify it so easily. Earthquake would take care of fire switch ins and also even act as a lure if I'm in standard form (unfortunately, probably doesn't fool many people). But heatran is a current wall to my set.

Threat list updated to now include chansey line as an annoyance. They are really, really hard for this team to take down. Also, Dnite now officially part of them team.

More help?

Last edited:
Just in case you wanted to know (both bold 252 hp 252 def 4 sp.def)
Blissey's defense tier: 120.01254678
Chansey's defense tier: 123.19111119

Blissey takes ~30% more damage (At 5 turns because of leftovers+protect Blissey is better)

Blissey's sp. defense tier: 129.02851233
Chansey's sp. defense tier: 130.81052859

Blissey takes ~18% more damage (At 3 turns because of leftovers+protect Blissey is better)

EDIT: forgot about protect

Last edited:
I fought you on the ladder (or someone who took your team). It was a horribly long game where we'd take turns swapping out pokemon. My only response to venusaur was meloetta, which was hardwalled by your chansey, but my other pokemon couldn't touch venusaur even with rain cutting your heal in half. So we danced around for like 50 turns until you eventually got a toxic off on my meloetta.

I'm surprised you didn't mention in your RMT probably the most obvious reason for bringing the previously-NU-mandibuzz over gliscor as a defogger, which is that mandibuzz handles aegislash, the most overused pokemon in the meta currently.

Additionally, I'm a little bit surprised you don't have any hazards on your team, particularly when chansey/heatran/venusaur forces so many switch-ins. It just seems like squeezing in a spikes/toxicspikes user would make your life much easier.

Also I highly suggest running toxic over seismic toss. In the short run seismic toss seems like the better option, but your team shines in its ability to make the game last a billion turns, so if you can sneak in a toxic on something in the middle of the game it'll snag you a kill that you otherwise wouldn't obtain with seismic toss.

I've thought about toxic, but subs are kind of common as well. I might play test toxic a little to see what I can get going with it, though.

About spikes/tspikes. The reasons I haven't run them is A.) No space (although skarm was suggested as a counter/check to 90% of my current issues, aka mega pinsir and kyurem)... Would probably still run it over dnite then mandi who is far too instrumental to drop. and B.) It encourages defog/spinning when I lack a blocker.

I don't recall running into a meloetta with this team yet. I know a few people have play tested this team a bit and came back with some more checks/counters (mainly mega pinsir/heracross and kyurem-b).

I have been running earthquake over sludge bomb on mega venusaur and it works. Tentacruel, heatran, klefki, mawile, and all steel types are now killable. Nature changed to a -Speed nature, but eq is just too helpful. Venusaur hits nothing for SE w/sludge bomb that really threatens him anyways.

I tried a cof+Gyara over dnite+Bro set. It was awful. The weakness to kyurem was highlighted and pinsir walked all over gyara regardless of intimidate. Too much SR damage on switch ins to be effective. Dnite, however, seems to deal better. I've been thinking about adjusting his set to hold a fire move over EQ now that Venu has EQ. Mainly, mega pinsir, mega heracross, and kyurem all have harder switch ins... Although kyurem will ignore multiscale anyways. Skarm is the next option for a Dnite change, but it adds another elec weakness (which kind of always existed)... I might go off the wall and take a gastrodon over slowbro if I try that set. Which seems redundant since I already tried quag and hated it, but I want a FWG core at least.

Thoughts on something adequate for mega pinsir/heracross and kyurem? Pinsir/hera are close enough that counter one, counter both. And pinsir is a lead so rocks really don't count.

MagikariplsOP, Chansey is rarely in for long, which does add merit to the toxic idea a bit, but I rarely find myself in for 6 turns anyways. The residual can hurt, yes, but instant defense is a commodity. If I start finding damaging weather more popular, or the tier shift I expect towards special attacks alone, then I might test a blissey>Chansey.

Edit: Rdjacobian made a suggestion about moving venusaur to special to alleviate some pain from blissey. I would like to experiment with a mixed wall set to give him some mobility as a special wall. His ability is set up nicely to deal with most special attacks and he already has special bulk, but I'd like to add to that a bit, I think. Maybe enough to survive a neutral Hydregion draco followed by a -2 Hydreigon draco? (Was thinking latios but why would he use draco on me when he has psyshock?).

Also, Venu counts as a back up lucario counter as is, giving me more ability to switch out dnite. If I do, I would prefer an electric neutral or better counter to mega pinsir or kyurem (both would be spectacular).

Last edited:
I've started running Seevea's idea with a few adjustments. Mainly, magic guard>Unaware. The set is this:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Cosmic Power
- Moonblast
- Stored Power

As it is really the only physically defensive fairy I can think of, I wanted something to have a chance of beating Kyurem-b, Pinsir, mega cross and after a few boosts, kan. This set replaces Dnite for now. Mandi is also up on the chopping block, at least a bit, in possible favor of skarm/glisc or some speed tiered pokemon for a good counter to anything that I need priority mach punch to beat. But right now, I'm hoping clefable can do. I know this set can take a +1 Tyrantrum head smash, so that was baptized by fire as my way to tell. Really, it is counter specific on this team, which I didn't want but is required due to the lack of smogon looking into the OP tier running offensive teams still here. And at +2, I bet this thing is good vs anything that doesn't have roar. It'll hit everything and I don't mind getting resisted by steel especially if I can get some boosts on stored power.

Also, chansey is going to officially run toxic now. Yuttt kept suggesting it as well as Blue cheez's recent suggestion. As long as the opponent isn't steel or doesn't flee behind a sub, that should work better.

Edit: After testing, Clefable WILL become an official member of the dreadnoughts, if not temporarily. The access to a fairy type has proved invaluable and clefable also is able to reliably set up sweep. Barring a crit from an SE attack, I find nothing taking it after some boosts. Moonblast has proven a great move as it reduces the opponent's special attack consistently and gives me the ability to devote to physical bulk to set up. The major dragon secondary stabs that are used, ground, dark, psychic are all resisted or physical sided (psyshock finding higher usage on the eon twins). Kyurem and mega pinsir I haven't run across since, but I just took a +1 genesect bug buzz on the special side with no cosmic power and it did roughly 26%. This does neutralize bug stab, but flying stab remains an issue. Anyways, kyurem is a test still but kyurem holds nothing se to clef. Not a switch in yet, but I hurt the opponent for switching out even if I can't nail kyurem down.

Seevea also added to the "Thank you" list for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Just so you know, Mandibuzz is gets Foul Play, which you probably should be using instead of Knock off. It makes it so no physical sweeper can set up on it, even stuff like Mega-Lucario gets almost one hit koed by foul play after a swords dance.

Uvood, I know. I was using foul play for a while and found it only completely useful vs garchomp and aegislash. Aegi has another counter on the team in mega-venusaur and I can deal with most garchomp variants with clefable and slowbro. It just wasn't practical to use foul play over taunt or knock off, both which help mandi be in control of countering other stall teams. I WOULD do something like foul play mega lucario if mandi could survive a +2 close combat, which it can't even at max bulk. Therefore, I've been using slowbro and now venusaur as my counters. He's not quite the threat he was before.

Also, kan is a bit easier to deal with right now due to toxic bliss. PuP does an insignificant amount of damage the first time when I toxic and I can protect next time. With some maneuvering, I'm starting to gain some success against mega kan, generally involving heatran and slowbro sponging as toxic wracks up. Unreliable, yes. But a bit better.

ive been using this team for a while, and i must say is really amazing, props man, every time ive changed something, ive went back to the original because it just worlds better, and clefairy is certainly really, really good

Alright, Foul Play has been workin out for me, but your team is much more stall oriented than the one I use, so I can see why being able knock off could be nice for that, but Taunt kinda screws over stall regardless of which move your using me thinks. And I don't mean that you'd be switching in on Luke, the point is the Foul Play while he thinks he can set up, allowing you to get a solid hit in for your other pokes to finish him(this obv don't work if it's Nasty Plotting, but the physical set is more common i believe). Many set up sweepers might try this, and most will almost be one hit koed by Foul Play, making them unable to set up on Mandibuzz, forcing them either kill it in one shot (which is difficult, considering it's nice bulk), or die. But if you have used it and have found more use for Knock Off on you team, then that works ;).

Last edited:
After testing a lot, I'm finding mandi might end up being replaced. Clefable offers a great fight/bug/dragon wall and is probably a solid member now. I had tested jirachi, but the team with jirachi was infinitely worse off even if it was a better check to mega pinsir. And replacement would need defog and have to function well against aegislash/mega pinsir, and have reliable recovery. Aegi isn't a huge need right now with clefable, venusaur and even heatran taking it well, but it could easily become one.

Slowbro has become a great asset for me. I think that so far, he and venusaur have become the absolute focal point of this team. I've had many battles where teams just cannot force themselves past him. Regenerator is nice in the fact that I can quick-sacrifice another member and gain back health by doing so.

After experimenting with mixed defensive spread venusaur, I went back to fully physical bulky venusaur for having a chance against terrakion +2LO. He'll get solidly 2hko'd, but between him and slowbro, I can kill terrakion at that boost. And if stone miss comes through, I can 2hko terrak. Really though, I hope to not see many LO terrakion. I can stall out stone edge on a band set by protect chansey, slowbro, clefable (if dead, repeat with chansey, if not, go slowbro) but +2 LO is too much.

So the current quest is to prepare this team from mega pinsir, give it a rock check somehow or figure out how to deal with it, and possibly find a defogger besides mandi without giving a pokemon we covered previously a chance to sweep (mainly, making sure we're still aegi proof)

Edit: as a personal quest, I'd like to get some footage of using this team, but the video replays never seem to be working. When they come back on, I'll have some footage on how this team works (trust me, with all the help I've gotten with this team, it's running really well)

I would replace mandibuzz with a standard subtoxic gliscor set. I've found it's really effective in the current meta, and was my stall team's biggest asset. What you lose in utility you gain in bulk. With poison heal and roost, as well as earthquake and toxic, it walls almost any physical sweeper without water or ice type moves.

Gliscor can also have Defog on pokebank, so you can definitely replace him with Mandi if you want too.

The below is three posts that mitch and I had in the OU thread about countering/checking mega pinsir. Surprisingly little seemed to work, but a few solid ideas were brought up. That thing is just scary at +2... The first post gives the requirements to fulfill a slot and Mitch's response is adding more check/counter possibilities. My summation is the final post and I think I figured that there are 2.5 good counters to him (avalugg being the half, cof and skarm being the full, and those two being hit at max defensive bulk sets) and a few reliable checks. These include bronzong, zapdos, occasionally rotom, and occasionally cloyster, who is unreliable to bring into a move but can revenge kill. The only other option was lunatone, the defensive variant of the sun/moon rock pokemon. And I have my questions about that...

So was looking for a mega pinsir counter this morning for my team. The basis of a counter for mega pinsir has to be:

A.) Switches in on any move (unboosted)

B.) Can take a move at +2 and return a kill

The moveset chosen was EQ/SD/Return/Quick attack on an aerialate mega pinsir. For our purposes on the honko calc, return does 133 STAB and quick attack does 52 STAB in accordance with what an aerialate bonus would cause. So the obvious thing was, resist flying. Three types do so, steel, rock and electric. Unfortunately, all these types are hit for super effective damage by eq. In best case scenario (which cannot be hoped for), they would bring in pinsir on the counter but that won't happen.

Candidates so far:

Quagsire (Unaware of boosts)

Skarmory (resists flying, immune eq)

Zapdos

Rotom-W (all rotoms should act the same exception rotom-c)

Solrock

Calcs on these...

Skarm

252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 70-83 (21.4 - 25.38%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 140-165 (42.81 - 50.45%) -- 55.86% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Solrock

252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 99-117 (28.77 - 34.01%) -- 8.25% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 198-233 (57.55 - 67.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Quagsire (Why did I even bother...)

252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 198-234 (50.38 - 59.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Zapdos

252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 99-117 (25.84 - 30.54%) -- 50.24% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 198-233 (51.69 - 60.83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Rotom-w

252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rotom-W: 93-110 (30.59 - 36.18%) -- 78.49% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rotom-W: 186-219 (61.18 - 72.03%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Any other idea for a counter? None of these seem to work exceptionally well... Besides skarm.

Cofagrigus:

252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 150-177 (46.87 - 55.31%) -- 13.28% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 298-352 (93.12 - 110%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk (custom) Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 76-90 (23.75 - 28.12%) -- possible 5HKO

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 151-178 (47.18 - 55.62%) -- 17.58% chance to 2HKO

Cofagrigus can only be hit once by Quick Attack OR Return (Mummy will make them normal moves again without Aerilate), can Pain Split back the same turn or put on a Will-O-Wisp it can also comfortably tank an EQ (though +2 EQ not all that comfortably)

Bronzong:

252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 87-103 (25.73 - 30.47%) -- possible 4HKO

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 174-206 (51.47 - 60.94%) -- 94.14% chance to 2HKO

Bronzong can come in on any of Pinsir's moves (only QA and Return would hit it), doesn't get OHKO'd by a boosted Return, can set up a Reflect (or Trick Room) and follow up next turn with a Rock Slide (which has a small chance of landing a kill after SR and can Flinch after TR), it lacks recovery though so it will have to either kill pinsir or force it out before Pinsir sets up to more than +2 it does get Hypnosis, Confuse Ray and Psych Up as options to make something happen though.

4 Atk Bronzong Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 172-204 (63.46 - 75.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Avalugg:

252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 64-76 (16.24 - 19.28%) -- possible 8HKO

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 128-151 (32.48 - 38.32%) -- 2.27% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk (custom) Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 152-180 (38.57 - 45.68%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 302-356 (76.64 - 90.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Avalugg walls the normal set pretty much completely, if Close Combat is ran it becomes harder (especially when rocks are up), but it does have recovery and access to Roar and can OHKO back with Avalanche.

4 Atk (custom) Avalanche vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 254-300 (93.38 - 110.29%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Cloyster:

252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cloyster: 99-117 (32.56 - 38.48%) -- 2.39% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cloyster: 195-231 (64.14 - 75.98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk (custom) Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cloyster: 154-182 (50.65 - 59.86%) -- 81.64% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk (custom) Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cloyster: 306-362 (100.65 - 119.07%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So bear with me on this, a defensive Rapid Spin variant of Cloyster, probably not that viable but it does have the physical bulk to take a hit or two from Mega Pinsir and OHKO it back with Skill Linked Icicle Spear, if Pinsir runs CC he will always win.

4 Atk Skill Link Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 240-280 (88.23 - 102.94%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

I didnt factor in Rocks in any of these calcs but in most cases it would sort of balance out (Pinsir doesnt like Rocks much either and Mega Pinsir downright hates them).

TLDR;

Cofagrigus

Bronzong

Avalugg

Cloyster

And maybe a few others (apart from the ones you listed already)

Could check and possibly counter Mega Pinsir, out of these Cofagrigus and Avalugg are probably the only ones who could realiably check/counter Mega Pinsir with a set thats actually viable.

Mega Pinsirs might well be an Über candidate in the not so distant future.

Out of that, I wouldn't call any but cof and skarm a counter, the rest reliable checks. Avalugg, yes... but it is going to be exceptionally hard to be at full health and take a hit. Unfortunately to lunatone, cloyster, avalugg, CC variants can squash these. Otherwise, I'd consider lunatone a 'counter'. Even then, I feel that lunatone being in ou for any reason counts as 'extreme circumstances' and hence doesn't stop an idea for a possible suspect testing.

Quagsire is worthless and rotom is a semi-unreliable check, relying on imperfect accuracy willowisp to stop it. Bronzong, if dedicated, could work. I hesitate to call cloyster a check, even. Although rock blast and icicle spear provide ways to revenge kill, CC is going to hurt if it runs it (really, pinsir only has four main set attack moves return/thrash, cc, quick attack, eq so counting for CC isn't bad).

I feel that for offensive teams, mega pinsir is even bannable due to his priority hitting in the range of scizor/breloom's tech shots. The difference is, they don't have a secondary that hits all the main stab's resists for SE damage.
I have decided to test Zapdos over Mandi. I lose taunt support and knock off support, but I need a mega pinsir counter with defog and a good way to kill back (in heatwave we trust). I MAY try skarm as well, but as long as Zapdos proves efficient, I personally believe that zapdos provides move overall utility. I have now lost to pinsir every time I've played it but once, and lost to kan about 50% of the time. Lucario, I am now beating every time, so to give you an idea of where we stand...

The set:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

I did, with this variant, manage to take a mega pinsir set, so the whole thing is looking good right now. I just don't want to try brave bird skarm unless needed. Also to note, with the majority of the meta running HP TF, pinsir is out speeding and revenge killing with quick attack, so make sure you have enough to consistently out speed him now.

I did consider Gliscor, but he really doesn't have that resist that is so crucial to countering pinsir right now. On a future stall team, I probably will consider him.

Also, notice the imbalance in my ev spreads... I seem to be low on special walls, but this is designed... There is no major special threat in tier right now doing as much damage. I COULD adjust Venusaur back to special, but I have yet to notice a special threat worth countering with this team. If someone sees one, please point it out (Clefable is also an option to make more special, it doesn't mind after some cosmic powers either way).

If the zapdos works, I owe Yuttt even more thanks... If not, I'll be running skarm and then as a last ditch, cof... I hope not to get there, he didn't run well the first time, adding another pursuit weakness and no reliable recovery.

Probably the last major update until Sunday. The results for the Mandi slot has been completed. Mandibuzz will be replaced by Skarmory. This is mainly due to the calculations vs mega pinsir. While not pretty, skarm is the best available as a counter to him. Zapdos IS a viable option if you prefer but will not at this time receive mention on the Dreadnoughts as an official member. Credit to Yuttt, Mitch, McBarrett.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Rock Slide
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Again, this set is largely experimental. I need a better idea on what to run, to be honest. Was running spikes earlier but it seems trivial. Rock slide probs needs to stay unless someone has a better set to counter mega pinsir. I believe rock slide is a 2hko... EVs could probably use an update, so any help there would be lovely.

But this a major update, so let's continue. McBarrett and I talked and he suggested moving Venusaur to compensate as a special wall, the same as RDJacobian suggested in the third post of this thread. I have switched back due to Skarm being a monster physical wall. The venu set will be adjusted in mixed focused special with the following ev spread:

This is largely experimental. The set will take 30% damage from +1 genesect. Dnite at some set (DDance so I'd imagine jolly/adament max attack) does 24% with dclaw and somewhere in that same area with fire punch. This is my only major observation dealing physical other than it tanks special hits incredibly well. The psychic issue is there, but I have had reliability with this.

The unfortunate part is that we do lose another team member for temporary testing. Clefable is being tested for SDef Spiritbomb, running a set that looks like:

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Foul Play

Remember that I did lose an aegi counter moving mandi out, and clefable seemed rather weak on this team unless I devoted an attempt to sweep. This set is an answer to psychock psychic runners and a bit of a endgamer. He might not perform well against kyurem-b... But I haven't seen one recently and clefable was proving dead weight otherwise. Suggestions on physical/special wall for him is greatly appreciated and maybe adapting his set a bit. Rest is conjunction with heal bell, no need for unreliable sleep talk. He is the stall version answer of a revenge killer in my mind. Disables, puts a timer on and can harm set up sweepers... I do question it being a special spread, however.

Trevenant also comes to mind, but this set has a few perks the tree doesn't. First off, trev has lower defenses. More HP for compensation, yes. Harvest for more renewable curse as well, but this thing must WALL like hell. Fire weakness is another issue. This would add to a technical second when mega venu is in place and three when not. Third and perhaps most importantly is infiltrator. I can willowisp kyub while it cowers behind a sub. (Could curse it, as well...). I haven't played much with him yet, but he's already endgamed genesect after it started critting and parahaxing everything. Chansey couldn't kill gen, but this monster had curse to end that game in two turns.

The original thread has been updated. Mitchhh, McBarrett, Yuttt all credited for Skarm. McBarrett and RDJacobian accredited for ev spread help w/Mega venusaur. Forthcoming will be the decision on Spiritomb on his inclusion. Expect that around Sunday. I am still looking for testers of this team and the results/success you are having. If there are counters needing to be listed, please let me know. I am actively updating this team constantly and we'll soon has this team about as solid a stall team as can be in this OU turned Uber environment. I encourage any feedback and testing done with this team. Any suggestions are great and I credit the suggestions I implement.

With December right around the corner, don't forget to get ready for the opening of pokebank. While doing so, I greatly encourage all readers to pay attention to suspect tests in OU this gen. It's going to be rocky and also a great chance for battlers to become more profound parts of the smogon community. By then, this team should hopefully be ready for everyone to run well.

Last edited:

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Ok, so, I ran in to a semi-stall/voltturn team last night that I didn't even finish because we were 5-5 after 45 minutes (Spiritomb died quite quickly, probably due more to my inexperience using it). But what I basically took away from the match was that Taunt really ought to be on something, otherwise, you're guaranteed a PP war against another stall team. My suggestion is exchange Rock Slide for Taunt. I know you're trying to use it to mess up MegaPinsir, but that's literally all it hits. Besides...
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 186-218 (68.6 - 80.4%)
0 Atk Skarmory Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 156-184 (57.5 - 67.8%)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)