Stall Mart (OU)

I notice everyone is going for Rotom-a and ignoring the old defensive Ghosts. Spiritomb in particular can be extremely effective as a utility counter to almost everything. I'm not going to push it, but seeing how you weren't sure about your Ghost type, I though I could pitch in something off the beaten track. The most common EV spread is 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpDef with a SpDef boosting nature. RestTalking is your best bet for recovery as Pain Split sucks like a hoover.

Your options: a Rotom-a-like set with Will-o-Wisp and Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball. Less of a utility counter but a very stable pokemon to have. The "standard" was Hidden Power: Fighting and Shadow Ball, which effectively shuts down other stall teams (for the most part) and does respectable damage to threats such as Tyranitar (37.4% - 44.4%), Lucario (44.8% - 53.4%), and Empoleon (30.1% - 35.9%). But remember that these threats are also hit pretty hard by a burn, so the 75% accuracy Will-o-Wisp is always a suitable option.

Why use Spiritomb over Rotom-a? Rotom handles Scizor and Gyarados better, but your team doesn't look like that is an area that needs much work. Spiritomb is much more consistent, no losing to Pursuit users so easily and never surprised by a super-effective attack. Gengar and Azelf are fearlessly countered by Spiritomb. And Spiritomb threatens almost every switch in. Shadow Ball is surprisingly powerful when you least expect it (but incredibly useless when you need it). Hidden Power: Fighting hits enough of the metagame decently that it makes them think twice about switching in, especially with all the entry hazards you should have set up. Notice that Rotom-a can perform an almost identical moveset with almost the same effectiveness. But Rotom-a suffers from weaknesses, making it somewhat unreliable and oftentimes frail.

Give it a thought and also look into Dusknoir. Don't ignore a pokemon because every says you should look at another one!

Hmmm... I would say maybe consider using Toxic on Vaporeon, that way you lose a bit of the unnecessary Ice coverage and find a way to deal with Cresselia. =0 But otherwise, I don't know that too many of these guys are suited for dealing with Cressy. o___o with the possible exception of Rotom if you give him Shadow Ball instead of one of his other moves.

I made the change to Trick on Jirachi. Hopefully Tricking a Scarf onto Cress is enough to stop it. I have yet to face another Cresselia since the change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)