Stall me Maybe

Okay, so I decided I'd try my hand at a little bit of stall. It's my first time using it, but the team's turned out pretty nicely. Unfortunately Zapdos's DW ability isn't released yet, so it's 'No preview OU' for me.

Preview:

Okay so here goes:

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 244 HP / 88 Def / 176 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

I hate coming up against this guy, so I thought I'd give him a run out. He's so effective starting out as he can hit pretty darn hard agaist more offensive opposiiton, and set's up the needed Hazards. He makes up the popular defensive core with Jellicent. Generally only have time to set up a rocks a 1 layer of spikes at the start, usually midgame for the other spikes if needed.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

That annoying Jellyfish that appears all the time when your surfing from town to town....yet he's actually underated I feel. So effective at walling some popular metagame choices, awesome against rain teams, stops Scizor in his tracks dead. Toxic spikes are his main function. He's my spinner too, if I ever need to dispatch hazards. Protect for the stalling, Scald over surf as he usually's pairs against pokes who are immune to toxic. Burn's also nice to stop Scizor for the game. EV spread is standard for the set, he falls to pretty much all EQ's though.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 8 SDef / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roar
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Thunderbolt

This is the reason I'm not allowed in standard OU. I can change his ability should I want to, but I'm awaiting it's release more then anything. He's my phazer, and acts at insurance for electric attacks that can have fun against Jellicent & Tenta. Lightningrod is so good, it gives me effectively a free specs boost, and leftovers recovers some rock damage upon switching into an electric attack. Also takes ground moves aimed at Tenta too.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Recover
- Surf
- Toxic

Another jellyfish I know. He's my much needed spinblocker. Taunt's not always useful, as he's pretty slow, but it's there incase. Recover is obviously to lengthen his lifespan. Surf over Scald, I value the power more, and also I have toxic, which is great for hitting floating things that can otherwise dodge the spikes. As said before, works amazingly well with Ferra.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

This thing is just impossible to break. Counter is just unfair. Virtually nothing other than a pretty strong STAB fighting move kills her, and she counters back. That's the best bit, she can act as a stalling machine, walling the opposition, or actually a neat killer. No effective, Jellicent can switch to fighting moves, and likewise any Ghost moves aimed at jelli are taken by this egg poke.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

The end result of my team. all he needs is an opening and it's all over. He's my late game demon, but acts well as a revenge killer should I need it. Moxie is perfect, as it actually means he becomes a huge threat after revenge killing. If I've stalled properly, things should be weakened enough for a huge sweep. People seem to chuck fodder at it until Outrage burns out into confusion, which is stupid, as it's free ATT boosts.

Overall The side if fun to use. It has some problems though. Espeon can effectively stop the team. One with HP fire, Psyschock & Grass Knot (CM set) can often cause some trouble. Zapdos is an okay answer, it can Roar out or attack. Mence is ultimately if I feel it's better just to wipe it out, outright. I've faced it 3 times, I won 2 of the games. It can cause havok but I can play around it.

Things that arn't grounded can be a problem. The Spikes & Tspikes really help the team. Thankfully most of the things that don't take 25% + from rocks can easily be dealt with. Rotom-W is walled by Ferra, Mence, (Jellicent to some extent) & Chansey. Lati's arn't a problem, Mence can revenge kill them, and they are easily walled. Gengar's easy to handle for me too.

Opposing Ferrathorn are a small issue, Mence can deal with them, but they are immune to my toxic's, resist my water. Chansey's counter is a great hope, providing the Ferra doesn't KO (which it shouldn't).

Hi. Interesting Stall team you have here, especially since they're almost non-exisant in DW, although you might want to change the tag to "Dream World", since you're using Lightningrod Zapdos. Personally I think that you should try Pressure, but I'll get to that later.

First, I think that you should change two Pokemon on your team. I know this seems a little drastic, but the roles will essentially be the same. Tentacruel and Jellicent's typing is very similar, and while Water/Poison and Water/Ghost are obvioulsy both excellent type combinations, I think that you should just stick with Jellicent, as you obviously need a spinblocker. I'd replace Tentacruel with Tyranitar. Tyranitar proved your Stall team with extra passive damage in Sandstream, and can reliably eliminate Espeon for you. Calm Mind Reuniclus is also a massive threat to your team, and Tyranitar can reliably take it out. Here's the set I'm proposing:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Sandstream / Sassy
EVs: 252 HP - 4 Atk - 252 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Dual Dark moves mean that SubDisable Gengar won't be able to beat you, as that's also a very threatening Pokemon. Fire Blast is to alleviate your problems with Ferrothorn a tad, and obviously also roasts incoming Scizor, Skarmory, Forretress and Lucario. The Chople Berry means that you'll be able to reliably beat Focus Blast users, such as the aforementioned Reuniclus and Gengar.

As Tyranitar would be able to use Stealth Rock, this frees up a slot on Ferrothorn. My next suggestion isn't as important, but I think that Stall teams need every entry hazard going, and a Rapid Spin user. Therefore, I recommend changing Ferrothorn to Forretress, with the following moves:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sturdy / Bold
EVs: 252 HP - 220 Def - 36 SpA
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power Ice

Forretress rounds out the entry hazards on the team, while also giving you Rapid Spin support (which Zapdos and Salamence absolutely LOVE). It also gives you a reliable counter to Outraging Dragons, and can 2HKO Dragonite, Salamence, Gliscor and Landorus after Stealth Rock with Hidden Power Ice. (Sorry I made it sound as if you didn't know that Salamence and Zapdos appreciated Rapid Spin, which obviously isn't the case as you had Tentacruel, just that I replaced it :P).

My last recommendation is that you change Zapdos to a Toxic Stalling set. This IS a Stall team after all, and would mean that Zapdos could use Pressure. As your team seems more oriented to the OU metagame than the DW metagame (you had nothing to really beat Chandelure, which could simply set up on Ferrothorn, Chansey etc.) you might even benefit from that. Pressure means that Zapdos can outstall moves such as Stone Edge by a combination of Roost and Subsitute. The set would be the following:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Pressure / Timid
192 HP - 64 Def - 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt

Zapdos' excellent Speed means that it can outstall numerous threats. Thunderbolt is obviously for when Zapdos is facing a Steel- or Poison-type, or when it's simpler to just outright OHKO an opponent such as Gyarados. However, I saw how happy you were with Lightningrod in your description, so I don't know how enthusiastic you'd be about this suggestion.

Good luck with the team, it's always refreshing to see Stall, and I like that Counter Chansey! If it didn't have Counter I'd recommend Blissey due to Tyranitar's Sand, but Blissey obviousl can't use Counter nearly as effectively as Chansey. However, seeing as you run Protect, you might want to run Wish over Softboiled, as it could provide instant healing for all those Fighting-type resists you have (Zapdos and Salamence). Forretress can also cheerfully come in on physical moves and loves getting all his HP back in a single turn.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi! It's awesome to finally see a Stall team, instead of just all out hyper offense.

Your Stall cores are very solid, so I'll just suggest some minor changes to your team. First off, Ferrothorn needs a Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers, to punish physical attackers for touching you. Ferrothorn also needs Leech Seed instead of Gyro Ball, so you can slowly suck the HP of the opponent. Remember, you have a Stall team, so using brute force is not necessary. I will also ask you to consider using Protect instead of Power Whip, so you can further Stall with Leech Seed and status, but Power Whip allows you to hit Espeon switch ins, so both are good options.

Jellicent needs WiloWisp instead of Toxic, so it can cripple physical pokemon, while still causing passive damage. Zapdos needs Thunder instead of Tbolt, so you have an answer to Rain teams. Adding Forretress is, I think, a good idea, however I suggest you to ditch Tentacruel instead of Ferrothorn, because Ferrothorn is a very important part of your defensive core.

Nice team, and good luck!

Cheers guys ! It felt nice to have a change for once, the metagame felt like it was becoming stale.

I'll give the suggestions a go. I did orginally plan for Ttar, but my team filled up due to needing a spinner. I'll definately give Foretress a go. I suppose loosing a weakness to electric can sort of counter loosing the resistance from Ferra. I originally didn't realise lightningrod wasn't released. I'll give the other set a go for sure, as seeing as Tenta is out LR becomes sorta less effective. I'll give wish a go actually, seeing as the mentioned changes should mean more passive damage.

Electrolyte, I'll give your suggestions a go as well, but obviously I can't do both at the same time. I'll give Wilo a spin, I used toxic because the damage builds up nicely, but the blunted Att is better from a burn. I don't like running Thunder on Zapdos as much. The only problems from rain teams will likely be the Therians, who hate Tbolt anyway. I'll give it a spin out, but the accuracy difference seems drastic for 25 BP, especially when paired with it's cut in the sun, plus Para isn't hugely needed as I'm statusing a tonne anyway.

I'll have to see how things run with Foretress. I'd prefer to not have both Foretress & Ferra on the same side, the x4 weakness to fire disuades me. As for Leech seed, I generally need Gyro ball to hit faster threats hard. I used Leech seed but to be honest I prefered Leftovers & having the ability to really hit faster threats hard without using Mence.

Cheers guys, I'll post back after I've given them a run thorugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)