Stallin' like Nobody's Business

The time of DP has finally died out, I believe. Almost everyone's moved on.
So I decided that instead of making one last team, I'd actually try an older one, tweak it one last time, and bring it back up. I chose my best team for it, and it's very well-known among my friends in competitive battling. I re-read the rules and do not see a problem with it, since the thread has long since been dead.

Because of my love of battling with music, each is named for one of my favorite songs or instrumental pieces that I believe fits its purpose or look (by title or just the music).

After playing this team for awhile, one person brought to my attention its similarity to Kevin Garrett's stall team, and I will say it does, but when building this team, I did not know he existed, nor did I know of his team. What mainly sets our teams apart is the lack of a spinner on mine, and that is because 4 Pokemon are immune to Toxic Spikes, 3 are immune to Spikes, and none are weak to Stealth Rock.

In-Depth:

Keep Up! (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf​
Trait: Serene Grace​
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd​
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)​
- Ice Punch​
- Iron Head​
- Stealth Rock​
- Trick​

Jirachi is known by everyone for just annoying everything to death. This one does no less by choosing to spam Iron Head or Trick its Scarf to anything that won't appreciate it. What I love about this lead is that near 100% of the time, it gets Stealth Rock up, and will most likely live to help me out later. Nothing here can Taunt it and stop it because every known leading Taunter will be outsped and I'll have Rocks up. Not only that, but it can live most EQs from opposing leads. That's not favorable, but it's useful. Jirachi is my main revenge killer for Dragons at +1 when I keep Choice Scarf, so that they do not wreck the entire team. It can also help me cripple opposing stallers and continue on my own.

Derezzed (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Levitate​
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd​
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)​
- Rest​
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt​
- Will-O-Wisp

Originally an offensive set, I decided to switch to the defensive side. The reason for doing so was a weakness pointed out on this team's previous RMT: Forretress. Because of this team's reliance on entry hazards, Forretress is a top defensive threat, and this team only had a spinblocker which was KO'd by Payback. However, this set comes in to burn Forretress before it can Payback (if it happens to carry it). The speed investment was to outspeed max speed Scizor (I went with Timid on impulse, and alternate spread with a preferably Bold nature would be nice). Those are uncommon, but my paranoia still lead to it. The original Rotom was Heat form, which bluffed Overheat on Forretress, but encouraged Heatran to switch in, which was annoying. Now the bluff is Hydro Pump, which also makes Tyranitar wary, and Forretress will not be immediately fearful. Heatran will not want to come in immediately, allowing me to burn Forretress. ResTalk allows me to allow Rotom to take a status from Blissey to scout for later. Once that move is confirmed, it's also best to confirm another attack, such as Flamethrower or Ice Beam, since it can't touch it with Seismic Toss. This helps to decide when to switch to Skarmory or Gliscor, which are immune to one of the former moves, but weak to one of the latter.

Catalyst (Gliscor) (M) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Sand Veil​
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 Spd​
- Earthquake​
- Roost​
- Taunt​
- Toxic

Gliscor is one of my favorites of all time, and for one reason: the ability to stop many stallers and set up sweepers. Access to Taunt and such amazing bulk makes it stop many. The reason I use max speed on this Gliscor is to gamble on catching many other Gliscors with Taunt as opposed to switching to Vaporeon, as well as other Pokemon sitting at base 95 speed. Gliscor is my switch in to anything using T-wave, and due to their lower speed, Gliscor has the advantage. The one thing Gliscor loves the most though, is dodging inaccurate moves more often with Sand Veil, which is one of the reasons Gliscor and Tyranitar are brothers for life. As pointed from the last RMT, Gliscor forms a neat core with Vaporeon and Skarmory, which is somewhat backwards (Vaporeon invested in physical bulk, Skarmory in special). Gliscor is able to Taunt whatever threatens the other two with status and allow them to switch in and do their job without interference.

Witchcraft (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Water Absorb​
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SDef​
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)​
- Roar​
- Protect​
- Surf​
- Wish

Vaporeon is the top non-legendary bulky Water-type. Almost nothing OHKOs it, and its access to Wish not only helps it live longer, but supports any team. Due to this team's dependence on switching, Vaporeon's Wish can help immensely, especially when facing its own weaknesses. The main core of the team includes Vaporeon, and having Wish allows that core to live to the end. Since Rotom absorbs status, Roar was put in place of Heal Bell to maximize the damage of Spikes. Protect is a scout move and to ensure Wish. With 3 moves almost impossible to give up, Surf is all that's left for obligatory STAB. Vaporeon covers opposing Water-types defensively easily, but is usually only a pivot switch into another with Wish. Vaporeon sometimes only enters the match once to heal another Pokemon.

G6 (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers​
Trait: Sturdy​
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd​
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)​
- Brave Bird​
- Roost​
- Spikes​
- Whirlwind​

Skarmory is my favorite Steel-type of all time. This spread lives just about everything (even lives a few T-bolts from Scarf Magnezone). Skarmory gets Spikes down without fail, and is able to boast instant recovery outside of Rest for most Steel-types. Because of its ability to live so much, Skarmory tends to come in on even Celebi and other users of HP Fire besides Magnezone, which fail to do enough to be threatening without boosts. Swamperts with Ice Beam also don't do enough, and Skarmory Whirlwinds before they can Roar. Skarmory is yet another with only one STAB move, because of this team's reliance on doing more residual damage and outlasting opponents. Brave Bird is selected over Drill Peck because of the larger damage output, which is necessary even with recoil. Skarmory supports 4 other Pokemon on this team with its resistances and immunities, so it is heavily relied on.

Blood Sugar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf​
Trait: Sand Stream​
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd​
- Crunch​
- Earthquake​
- Pursuit​
- Stone Edge​

Tyranitar brings the team together by covering two diverse threats: Gengar and Starmie. Both are extremely dangerous to this team, and one can even spin. Each can even KO Tyranitar by using Focus Blast or Hydro Pump (Surf does not reliably KO), but because Tyranitar comes in on resisted hits, it has the advantage still. It also can KO some dragons before a DD, which is also another threat to this team. Originally carrying Superpower, it was scrapped as Superpower did not cover anything the rest of the team did not, and left it for set-up fodder. Crunch is kept with Pursuit for reliable KOs on Rotom-A and bulkier Starmies, and also Azelf leads that aren't fearing it. Earthquake is more or less a filler move, but allows Tyranitar to KO non-Scarf Heatran (or even Scarf), which will most likely try to burn or Earth Power. Shuca variants can live, but don't appreciate the hit still. Because of its lack of expectancy, Tyranitar can net a few KOs before the opponent realizes what it is.

Conclusion:

This will be my last RMT for Gen IV, and the last team I will use for it, so it will probably end up constantly having changes for awhile. I still plan to play Gen IV, but do not plan on making new teams. Feel free to use it as you wish, as it'll be enjoyable to essentially play myself, and to find more Gen IV players.

Importable:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Trick

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Surf
- Wish

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

^He needs all of Gliscor's moves, because as it is he's getting steamrolled by any good stall team without it.

Rotom-W needs to be constantly healthy, because you have no sweeper on this team and you'll be relying on Spikes/SR to continuously wear down the opponents team. Give it a more bulky set with Tbolt/Rest/Stalk/WoW, as well as a Bold nature with max Def evs. You're not having Scizor problems with Rotom-W, Gliscor and Skarm on the same team lol. Gliscor also outspeeds Lucarios anyway.

SubToxic Zapdos is a problem yeah, you could try CB/Tank Snorlax over Tyranitar with Immunity, and this gives you a switch into Starmie (and other waters like offensive CMCune) as well - Tyranitar needs to be near to max health to kill it and Vaporeon is crushed by Tbolt, especially with the set you have now. Of course the downside is that you lose Sand for Sand Veil..but Gliscor isn't really banking for a miss if its aim is to outstall anyway.

Roar on Vaps is also good.

^He needs all of Gliscor's moves, because as it is he's getting steamrolled by any good stall team without it.

Rotom-W needs to be constantly healthy, because you have no sweeper on this team and you'll be relying on Spikes/SR to continuously wear down the opponents team. Give it a more bulky set with Tbolt/Rest/Stalk/WoW, as well as a Bold nature with max Def evs. You're not having Scizor problems with Rotom-W, Gliscor and Skarm on the same team lol. Gliscor also outspeeds Lucarios anyway.

SubToxic Zapdos is a problem yeah, you could try CB/Tank Snorlax over Tyranitar with Immunity, and this gives you a switch into Starmie (and other waters like offensive CMCune) as well - Tyranitar needs to be near to max health to kill it and Vaporeon is crushed by Tbolt, especially with the set you have now. Of course the downside is that you lose Sand for Sand Veil..but Gliscor isn't really banking for a miss if its aim is to outstall anyway.

Roar on Vaps is also good.
I was very skeptical of Fayne's suggestions. I am aware of SubRoost Zapdos causing problems, but I just never experienced it (every single one I faced for some reason was outsped by Gliscor). I also changed Rotom's EVs to Bold with more Defense, but I'll try the ResTalk set since that's been suggested a few times. As for Snorlax, that really helps me in covering Tyranitar's empty spot, especially since it is immune to Toxic Spikes. As for Vaporeon, I'll try Roar over Heal Bell again since now Rotom can absorb status easily.

EDIT:
The only thing that didn't work as well was Snorlax. I've edited in everything that improved the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)