XY OU Stalling Time Until You Die.

You shall sit in your chair on showdown for all eternity until you die!! Mwahahahaha
Afternoon people KaiReptilon here, with my first RMT for XY OU. Most of my teams have been more offensive in the past so I decided I'd make something more defensive to climb the ladder and get free wins. (Cheap i know but it's effective as fuck). I went with stall as i wanted to see what weatherless stall was like since i used rainstall quite alot in BW2 OU. For the TeamBuilding Process Click the Top and Bottom Options out of the 3.

You know i didn't want to use Mega-Venusaur on this stall team as it's all over the fucking place, the ironic thing is the most of the Mega-Venusaur stall teams can't actually deal with Mega-Venu all that well, so Charizard-X took the spot as mega.
I added the mandatory stall core of SkarmChans, which is actually surprisingly tough to break, i could of added Clefable to form a Steel, Dragon, Fairy core which i'll test but as it's going now it's working perfectly fine

Landorus-I, Landorus-I, Landorus-I!!!!! I added Gliscor onto the stall team and it's specially defensive set along with it, i've only just recently seen the light with how god damn good the special defensive set is on gliscor as it allows me to check Lando-I and let me stall it out which is really nice.

As i didn't have a Grass-Type for keldeo and Azumarilll Amoonguss seemed like the obvious choice and made my stall team 10 times more annoying with Regenerator. It can also put troublesome mons to sleep which saves lives and games. Amoonguss is who i really depend on and it's work mid game really impresses me.

Oh Slowbro why are you so good? Slowbro forms the second part of a really annoying Regenerator core with Amoongus. It can also take on the fire types Skarmory can not which really helps out and is also used as a defensive pivot so when i need something to take a hit for the team i go to Slowbro and regain momentum from there.

Honorable meantion:
Alomomola very nearly made it onto the team instead of Slowbro however i decided to test Slowbro first and use Alomo as a replacement if it's wish passing capabilities are ever needed in dire situations, i am going to test with the sunfish on an alt to see how it compares to Bro.

An In Depth Analysis of the Bringers of Forfeits

@ Charizardite-X
Ability: Blaze --> Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Oh goodness i love this thing. Charizard-X is probably one of the most potent threats in today's meta game both offensively AND defensively. It's role is to serve as a Charizard-Y and Thundurus check as well as a counter to the likes of Bisharp and Aegislash being able to Will-O-Wisp them rendering them useless. Earthquake is for other Zard-X, Bisharp and Aegislash and provides more coverage than Fire Punch would. Roost allows Charizard-X to keep walling and spreading burns all over the place being a general nuisance to take down. Dragon Claw allows me to hit other dragons that want to come in on an EQ like the Lati@s.

@ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is fucking great. So many people ask why Chansey is higher than Blissey in usage and the answer is simple. The Eviolite gives Chansey a lot better bulk than Blissey and fuck me is this thing bulky! The EVs give chansey more bulky overall as it's physical defense is higher as well as it's special defense. This thing is used to set up Stealth Rock as there isn't anyone on the team who could really do it besides Gliscor, but then i lose a vital moveslot on Gliscor. Heal Bell heals any nasty statuses like poison and paralysis whilst Seismic Toss is means of attack without Chansey being Taunt bait.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Counter
- Defog

Skarmory you're loved by me so much for good reason. It's physical defense is sky high and can wall them for days and days. My move choices are interesting. Roost and Defog are on the set for obvious reasons, for recovering and getting rid of hazards. Toxic is on the set for chip damage on common switch-ins like Rotom-W whilst Counter is actually really helpful. When Skarmory needs to take one for the team, Counter will allow Skarmory to bring the attack with him though the opponent won't have Sturdy.

@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt

Whoever invented this set for stall is a god. Gliscor has always been a pain in the arse for physical attackers but now it's vital in every stall team in order to deal with non HP Ice Landorus-I. The EVs are used to outspeed Jolly TTar before the Mega Evolution and everything below it. Knock Off is used to cripple Pokemon reliant on their items in order to work whilst Earthquake is a means of dealing with Aegislash and Heatran. Taunt is on the set to stallbreak when in a stall mirror match disabling the opponent to get up hazards.

@ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]

As i mentioned earlier Amoonguss is my out to Keldeo and Azumarill and also forms the first part of my Regenerator core. The Utility this mushroom brings is amazing being able to phase with Clear Smog and put dangerous foes to sleep with Spore. I didn't really know what to put in the last slot so i went with HP Fire in order to hit Mega-Mawile harder than Giga Drain. The EVs maximise the ability to take on physical attackers better. It's not the optimal spread but i don't know what is better.

@ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Slowbro is the second and last component in the Regenerator core. It's used as a defensive pivot being sent in when i need someone to take a hit. Rocky Helmet is to do extra residual damage to physical attackers. Scald and Psyshock are used as the STAB options with Slack Off healing 50% of Bro's HP whilst Toxic will be replaced by Thunder Wave in order to catch Greninja on the switch.

So there we have it my take on stall in XY. There are changes to be made to this team like the spread on Amoonguss and T-Wave over Toxic on Slowbro but other than that this team has served me well. Thank you for rating and i'll catch you on the ladder ;).

First of all change the format xD. About the team I don't see anything wrong but Latios seems a threat for your team:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 333-394 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 460-541 (106.4 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Gliscor: 255-302 (72 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 172-203 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 226-266 (32.1 - 37.7%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 486-577 (135.3 - 160.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That means that the only pokemon you that can switch to Latios is Chansey if chansey dies you will have a problem so I recommend you to use Clefable over Slowbro with that set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware / Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Unaware is prefered rather than Magic guard because you already have Gliscor as a status absorber but it's your choice to use one ability or the other.

Well, in fact you can use any of the standard celfable sets: https://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/clefable, but I think the one I've put is the best since you don't have any wishpasser so I think Clefable can work.​

Last edited:
Thank you for the contribution, i don't really need a wish passer but yeah i can see Clefable working very well, i'll test it out thanks dude. :D

You are welcome :). Ah, another thing KaiReptilon I don't know why you have SpD on Glsicor. It's good to have something with SpD but not really Gliscor. You aleady have Chansey as a special wall. I don't know if you put the SpD by mistake or something.

Nah the SpDef is there for Lando-I and Aegislash, it's actually getting more popular :) ask any tour player that uses stall and they'll tell you why :D

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Specially defensive Gliscor is a very good set right now. It allows Gliscor to check/counter very prominent special attackers, like Landorus, Aegislash, Latios, Latias, and Gengar, who otherwise Gliscor would be helpless against, while still being able to check/counter Terrakion, Mega Heracross, Landorus-T, and Excadrill. You have three physically defensive Pokemon and two specially defensive Pokemon, so it's a good thing you went with specially defensive Gliscor.

This overall is a very good team, but I have a couple issues with the sets. 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD with a Calm Nature is generally the best set on Amoonguss, The EVs help your team in dealing with Keldeo, who otherwise can weaken you rather easily. Additionally, 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe is generally better on Charizard. You have a lot of Speed EVs, most of which imo are unnecessary. These speed EVs outspeed Bisharp, Aegislash, and Tyranitar, which is really as much as is necessary for your team. Also, you have EQ on Gliscor and Scald on Slowbro for Heatran, so I'd recommend switching Earthquake with Flare Blitz on Charizard, as otherwise Clefable can mess with your team badly. Next, I'd move Chansey's 4 EVs to Speed, give Gliscor 244 HP EVs instead of 252, and change the rest of the 252 EVs to 248. The first and third make switching into hazards easier, while the second suggestion gives Gliscor better Poison Heal recovery. Also, you wall Gengar with Charizard X, and you have trouble with some bulky Pokemon, so I might consider changing Knock Off on Gliscor to Toxic, as Gengar is the only Pokemon Knock Off is necessary for. Lastly, Slowbro usually prefers Leftovers over Rocky Helmet, as a lot of the time it's taking around 50% from +1 attacks, and losing passive recovery could make it so that it can't take the hits it needs to. Additionally, I like Thunder Wave more than Toxic, as offensive DD Charizard-X hurts your team very badly, and Thunder Wave threatens it much more than Toxic.

Hope these suggestions help you KaiReptilon!

Also please center everything :P

Hey, just realized I mentioned Gliscor as a target for Knock Off, when I meant to say Gengar. :P

Last edited:

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Hey KaiReptilon, nice stall team! I can see belly drum azumarill just pumping through this team tho, to help you work against it better there is an alternative Amoongus set that lets u check it a lot better, though using more defence. You may miss the sp.defence for keldeo, but since slowbro also checks it, I think it will work perfectly!

upload_2014-7-26_17-43-32.png

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

These Ev's allow amoong to survive a Play rough at +6 from an azumarill at full health, making amoongus a mutch better check to azumarill, you still have to watch out for entry hazards/weather/chip damage but this will really help you're match up against belly drum azum.

All the best and nice team n_n.

Hey there--cool team! As previously mentioned, I would optimize Amoongus' EV spread to take +6 Azumarill Play Roughs. I'm pretty sure 136 Def does the trick, but don't quote me on that (I'm away from my computer, so I can't do the calcs). Also, you can slash Foul Play over HP Fire to har counter most Aegislash sets (while he's still in OU)

As for Skarmory....I find Skarmory to be pretty dead outside of Stealth Rocks, Defog, and countering Mega Pinsir (Birds in general). I feel the metagame has really just shifted to beat him, and he is very easily forced out. This in mind, I would recommend Defensive Zapdos. He does the three things Skarmory does, and despite a Stealth Rocks weakness, he can bring paralysis support and pressure stalling to the game. By no means is he a necessity, but I believe he could add something cool to this team.

All in all, nice job! I look forward to possibly facing this on the ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)