Stalltastic!

Hi this is Dat Bulk Though with my first RMT! I created this team when I got bored with the same ole OU, so I decided to build a stall team around the current meta. This is my first post because I'm new to Smogon. I've been battling competively for about a year now and I am just now adjusting to the current meta. I would like for some help with this team because I think that it has potential to be better than it is. I've only used the team for about a week and peaked at 1852 on Pokemon Showdown. I got the name of the team from a friend that gave me the idea to make the RMT, now on to the team!

I built this team around Celebi because it walls to many threats in the current meta including: Landorus, a huge threat in the meta, Keldeo, one of the most common pokes in the game at the moment, Politoad, Thundurus, Terrakion, Breloom, Dugtrio, and Jolteon just to name a few. I then added a Heatran to cover Celebi's ice weakness and Celebi covers all of Heatran's weaknesses, so I thought they have great synergy. I then added Amoongus as a backup check to Landorus and to have a status spreader on the team. I added Slowbro for synergy with Amoonguss and also to have a set up sweeper to counter other stall teams. Lastly I added Tentacruel for the FGW core and i needed a spinner so that the opponent couldn't stack hazards against me to wear me down. Also I added Skarmory for a last resort to setup sweepers and to gradually wear down my opponent with spikes. Now to a closer look at the team.

@ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
Evs: 252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect​

One of the first members of my team was Tentacruel, he was an easy choice because of his resistance to fighting, a common type in OU, and he resist both of Keldeo's STABs which is a great bonus in this rain dominated meta. I chose scald for the STAB and the chance to burn Physical sweepers. Then rapid spin to take away the hazards that wear down this team, and the annoying leech seed. Toxic is there to gradually eat away at the opponents health and is great for when the opponent switches to something that would over wise wall you, such as Chansey, or Blissey even though they both have natural cure. Protect allows me to scout a choice locked pokemon or let me recover that little bit of HP that will make a difference. The given Evs are to take physical hits for days and to outspeed other walls and get the toxic off.

@ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
Evs: 252 SpD/ 252 HP/ 4 SpA
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore
- Hp Fire

Amoonguss is an extremely underated pokemon in the current meta. He can wall so many threats, just like Celebi. Amoonguss is my back up check to Landorus incase Celebi dies. Spore is obviously to put the opponent to sleep, and stun spore is for when the opponent switched their sleeping pokemon out which they will do 9/10 of the time. I have giga drain for a STAB that brings recovery, and Hp Fire for the Scizors, Ferrothorns, and Forrestresses. I maximized his SpD so that he can take on Keldeo and Landorus a lot easier than if he was physically defensive. I can't count the number of times that i have relied on Amoonguss to fully wall and entire rain team because i stupidly sacced Celebi. I don't see at all how Amoonguss is only RU because he is SO bulky, I don't think that i can remember one time that he has been 0K0d at full health.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Ev: 252 SpD, 252 HP, 4 SpA
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Roar​

Heatran serves a big role on my team, I rely on him to stop Volcarona in it's tracks. Heatran is also one of my dragon resist which is good with all of the dragons flying around. He walls both of the Lati's which could otherwise with the right coverage moves sweep me. I ran the specially defensive spread so that I could switch freely into both of the Lati's not fearing anything. Being specially defensive also lets me wall Volcarona to hell and back bar a random HP ground. Lava Plume is there for the STAB and the chance to burn physical attacks, then Stealth Rock is the best move in the game in my opinion being able to hurt anyong poke in the game except the Magic Guard users. Protect is there to scout choice locked Pokes so I know what to bring in next. Lastly but probably most importantly is roar so that when a Volcarona tries to set up on me I can just roar him out for another Poke to take hazard damage.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Evs: 252 HP, 232 Def, 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Drill Peck
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost​

The first thing you might notice is that I have Drill Peck over Brave Bird; the reason being is I hate the unwanted damage recoil on Skarmory. I have Spikes for the constant damage the opponent takes when they switch in and out. Whirlwind for the set up sweepers, with sturdy i can live any one hit and retaliate with whirlwind. Roost is for the reliable recovery that is much wanted in a long battle. I have the physically defensive set so that I can constantly keep switching into Terrakion, Breloom, and friends. The only problem I have with Skarmory is that he gets trapped easily by a well played Magnezone, but most of the time I can predict the switch in and whirlwind Magnezone out. Skarmory has single handily won me many games by killing Keldeo's with Drill Peck and being able to 0K0 Breloom is nice too.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
Evs: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 SpA
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Toxic​

Slowbro might me considered an interesting choice, but he has worked just fine. I have Scald for the burn chance against physical attackers and a decent STAB. Calm Mind is there to break stall and to have at least one set up sweeper on the team. Slack Off is there for the reliable recovery which is great paired with regenerator because this thing NEVER dies. Toxic is for the Chanseys and Blisseys that wall the set otherwise. I have max defense and HP to be able to take as many physical hits as possible while setting up Calm Minds. Regenerator was the obvious choice because everytime that Slowbro switches out he gains I think 30% of his health back which is great considering how much I switch. Slowbro is another great check to Keldeo without HP ghost. I've considered Psyshock or Ice Beam over Toxic on Slowbro to be able to hit certain things but I'm not sure about it some suggestions would get great.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Evs: 252 HP, 220 SpD, 36 Spd
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Perish Song
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Recover​

Celebi is the MVP of this team easily, she has stalled Landorus out so many times by just recovering on their HP ice. Celebi only takes a maximum of 39% from a Landorus HP ice. Celebi is also my go to Poke on keldeo because if it is sub CM i can just Perish Song, if its choiced in some way then I can either Giga Drain or Recover on the switch to get back to full health. I have Perish song so that I have something against BP teams, and it stops set up sweepers in their tracks. Baton Pass allows me to escape Tyranitars Pursuit which is very common nowadays. Giga Drain is a decent STAB that allows me to recover some HP. Recover is there for a source of reliable recovery that has saved me in so many battles.

Well there you have my team, thank you for reading this! I'll take any advice that you'll be willing to give to me!​

One thing that I've noticed is that your team is weak to sweepers with sub, especially Gengar. Gengar outspeeds every member on your team, and can hit every single member with a super effective hit barring Skarmory and Tentacruel. But, Skarmory is very specially defensively weak, so Gengar can beat him very easily. As for Tentacruel...well, Tentacruel can't do anything to Gengar. Your team also lacks a form of offensive pressure (I do realize that this is a defensive team; it's just that without offensive pressure a taunter can easily shut down your entire team, etc.). So, I recommend Jirachi over Heatran. Heatran is hardly doing anything for this team; he definitely isn't countering Volcarona (i.e. HP Ground which is p common). Jirachi can take care of a ton of other threats that your team is weak against, including Gengar and set up sweepers. As for Volcarona, Tentacruel can counter it quite well, especially if rocks are up. If needed, Jirachi can have a speed tie with Timid Volcarona. So, the set for Jirachi:

Jirachi@Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace, Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
EV's: 252 Spe, 160 HP, 96 Atk
Moves:
Iron Head
Body Slam
Stealth Rocks
Ice Punch

This set can counter a lot of dragons, such as Dragonite (even more so with rocks) and CBChomp. It can also set up rocks reliably, and can apply offensive pressure while still being able to take hits. Anyway, good luck with your team!

Edit: If you really don't like the idea of replacing Heatran, at least give Heatran an Air Balloon over lefties.

@Jajub123
Thanks man ill definitely try out jirachi over heatran as soon as I get home and ill make changes if I feel that it works better!

Hey there. First of all, props to you for using stall. My favorite style of battle.
First of all, replace that Toxic with Psyshock on your Slowbro. It lets you get past Blissey and Chansey and provides you with another strong STAB. Now I'm gonna make a threat list for your team and then give my possible solutions. Here are the threats:
HP Ground Volcarona: Say hello to goodbye. This thing is the biggest threat to your team. If he manages to get a boost(he easily does) then it's already gg.
Life orb Latios in Rain: Surf destroys Heatren in rain. Draco meteor 2HKOs Celebi after rocks and a little prior damage. He can psyshock rape Amoonguss and your other members are just toasts for him. Guess what? He can switch moves too.
Hydreigon: Tell you what. This guy just ruins your team. His mixed powers let him run through all your Pokemon.
Kyurem-B Especially the sub and 3 attacks version. Here's how he does it:
Fusion Bolt for Skarmory, Slowbro, Heatren, Tentacruel. Dragon Claw for Celebi and Amoonguss.
Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus: Don't ever rely on your Skarmory to wall these guys for they all carry a move to get past him. Your Slowbro is just setup bait for them as he lacks Thunderwave/Icebeam. All the three will sexually abuse(rape) your team after a Dragon Dance.
Infernape with Thunder Punch The only thing that can somewhat stand in his way is Slowbro.
These are all that come to my mind right now. See? You have many threats uncovered.
So this is the threat list. My post is already too long so I'll include my rate in another post.

Yo. Let's get to the rate.
You have both spikes and Stealth rock yet you don't have any spin blocker . This along with the fact that you're extremely susceptible to HP ground Volcarona and mixed Hydreigon leads us to one pokemon only: Mustachio man Jellicent. You should replace him with Celebi. Why? Not only does he cover some important threats celebi did (ie rain, keldeo, Politoed), but he also walls Mixed Hydreigon and spin blocks for you. Him and Heatren also together form an amazing specially defensive core and wall any version of Volcarona(Jelli walls the HP ground set and Heatren the Giga Drain set). Here's the set I suggest:
Jellicent@Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
Calm nature
Evs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
Scald | Shadow Ball | Recover | Toxic

Max special defense to handle those Draco meteors better.
In my opinion, every stall team needs a Chansey. The benefits she brings are numerous. 350 HP Wishes, Heal Bell, back up for most of special attacks (and not-godly physical attacks) if your other pokemon have failed to wall them, and finally walling key threats such as LO/Specs Latios, Hydreigon and mixed Kyurem-B, pokemon who are nightmares for stall teams to face. Choice Specs Latios's Psyshock, Kyurem-B's Dragon Claw and Hydreigon's SuperPower are all 3HKOs so Chansey can easily stall them. This is the set I recommend:
Chansey@Eviolette
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold nature
Seismic Toss | Wish | Softboiled | Toxic/Thunderwave/Heal Bell

The fourth is your choice. Though I think Heal Bell is the best there for a stall team.
Now it's up to you who you want to replace her with. I'd say Amoonguss because you already have 2 special walls but it's really up to you. Just remember Chansey is crucial for her mixed walling capabilities.
The third and last change is a Choice Scarf pokemon. Even though this is stall you really need a scarfer for the times things get out of control. The only replaceable member left is Tentacruel. But he has Rapid Spin? Don't worry because there's a pokemon that can do both of these for you.... STARMIE! Look at this set:
Starmie@Choice Scarf
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid nature
Ice Beam | Psyshock | Trick | Rapid Spin

Ice beam and Psyshock allow you to revenge a variety of dangerous pokemon; Dragonite, Volcarona, Salamence, Keldeo, Terrakion etc. Starmie's base speed lets her outspeed all the dangerous pokemon in the current metagame. Rapid Spin still lets you get the job done. If you feel there's no need to keep the Scarf in a match just trick it to something like Ferrothorn.
One thing else. I'd replace Calm mind with Thunderwave and Toxic/Psyshock with Ice beam on your Slowbro to help with dragons and cripple stuff. Stall teams aren't very threatening to your team anyway. This removes the threat of Dragonite/Salamence/Haxorus.
Phew. That's it. I hope you have lots of success with this team because stall is boss. Good luck!

@ViktorNrv
I couldn't thank you enough man! Your suggestions really help! As soon as I get home I will change celebi to jellicent even though the team was built around him I think that the change will help a lot! I will also make the change of amoonguss to chansey because I think that the wishes will really help! But I'm not so sure about the scarf starmie but I will definitely test it out because a revenge killer sounds really nice thanks again man :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)