Stantler Surprise...

I fool around a lot on shoddy these days, experimenting new ideas and teams I don't see anywhere else. And one of my greatest pokemon I use is Stantler for some wall breaking. And that is Specs Stantler. Now I was somewhat saddened to see the adorable deer barely used on UU Teams and you will never see him on OU teams. But Stantler can soundly beat a Gyarados, Skarmory, Weezing, Swampert, Tyranitar, Celebi, and Dusknoir among others. And in UU he can beat almost all the walls. So here he is ... SpecsStantler with OU Calcs ... and UU Calcs

OU:

Specs Stantler:
Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Intimidate
EVS: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Thunderbolt
~Energy Ball
~Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fighting
~Shadow Ball

Thunderbolt on 212 HP Gyarados
Defender HP: 384
Move Damage: 519 - 610
Damage: 135.16% - 158.85%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP Skarmory
Defender HP: 334
Move Damage: 346 - 407
Damage: 103.59% - 121.86%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP Forretress
Defender HP: 354
Move Damage: 195 - 229
Damage: 55.08% - 64.69%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP Weezing
Defender HP: 334
Move Damage: 173 - 204
Damage: 51.80% - 61.08%

Energy Ball on 240 HP Swampert
Defender HP: 401
Move Damage: 478 - 563
Damage: 119.20% - 140.40%

Shadow Ball on 252 HP Careful 176 SpD Dusknoir
Defender HP: 294
Move Damage: 136 - 160
Damage: 46.26% - 54.42%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP Suicune
Defender HP: 404
Move Damage: 231 - 272
Damage: 57.18% - 67.33%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP Milotic:
Defender HP: 394
Move Damage: 215 - 253
Damage: 54.57% - 64.21%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP Vaporeon:
Defender HP: 464
Move Damage: 271 - 318
Damage: 58.41% - 68.53%

Shadow Ball on 252 HP Celebi
Move Damage: 219 - 258
Damage: 54.21% - 63.86%

Shadow Ball on 252 HP Cresselia
Defender HP: 444
Move Damage: 176 - 207
Damage: 39.64% - 46.62%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP, 8 SpD Bronzong
Defender HP: 338
Move Damage: 114 - 134
Damage: 33.73% - 39.64%

Worst Pokemon Stantler can face as at best it will 3HKO. Bronzong though can not do anything back with Intimidate hitting him and Stantler's average 269 Speed.

Which Hidden Power?
Hidden Power Fighting on 252 HP Tyranitar
Move Damage: 385 - 453
Damage: 95.30% - 112.13%

Hidden Power Ice on 252 HP Tangrowth
Move Damage: 330 - 389
Damage: 81.68% - 96.29%

So Stantler can pretty much 2HKO - OHKO most of OU walls (And pretty much all of them with Stealth Rock)

But how does Stantler fare in UU?

UU

Energy Ball on 252 HP Gastrodon:
Defender HP: 426
Move Damage: 516 - 607
Damage: 121.13% - 142.49%

Energy Ball on 252 HP Quagsire:
Defender HP: 394
Move Damage: 619 - 729
Damage: 157.11% - 185.03%

Thunderbolt on 12 HP Poliwrath:
Defender HP: 324
Move Damage: 283 - 333
Damage: 87.35% - 102.78%

Shadow Ball on 252 HP, Calm, 80 SpD Hypno:
Defender HP: 374
Move Damage: 166 - 195
Damage: 44.39% - 52.14%

Shadow Ball on 252 HP, 200 SpD Grumpig:
Defender HP: 364
Move Damage: 170 - 200
Damage: 46.70% - 54.95%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP Noctowl:
Move Damage: 268 - 316
Damage: 66.34% - 78.22%

Thunderbolt on 252 HP, 68 SpD Cloyster:
Defender HP: 304
Move Damage: 425 - 500
Damage: 139.80% - 164.47%

Once again 2HKO - OHKO (And with Stealth Rock it is all of them)

Conclusion:

Stantler is not a terrible Pokemon, in fact it can be a Specs-user. Is Stantler the best Pokemon to use Specs? No. Gengar does it much better. But in UU he is awesome, and even in OU he is perfect for surprise as if an opponent sees one of these, he doesn't know what to do and either 1. Sacrifices a wall or two of his and maybe a big attacker or 2. Run to the analysis to check on Stantler and assumes it is Physical where Stantler can Dominate their team.

Am I saying Stantler is a Great wall breaker? No, Nidoking, Gengar, Flygon, and Garchomp can do it better.

Am I saying Stantler is cool and can give you a fun time playing while surprising your opponent and perhaps killing a wall or two? Yes, for the love of God yes.

And if you don't buy into that then at least you can beat a Gyarados or Tyranitar while your opponent cusses you out.

I'm still missing some Calcs by the way so if you have any more calcs that show Stantler's coolness please feel free to post them and I may add them.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow that is quite interesting, it's cool to see the reindeer getting some love =) How humiliating it must be to see your nice Bulkydos get thrashed by a fuzzy deer.

So what exactly is there to see? All I see is another 252/252 <insert Choice item> set, one of the most generic cookie cutter sets in existance. What we have here is a special snowflake...

Blunt reply considering the effort that went into the opening, but this is honestly nothing at all. Stantler has a far superior movepool than what its being given credit for here.

So what exactly is there to see? All I see is another 252/252 <insert Choice item> set, one of the most generic cookie cutter sets in existance. What we have here is a special snowflake...
No the point is this isn't listed in Stantler's other movesets and it should be. It has potential and Stantler actually can use Specs a lot better then most pokemon. Initmidate makes it a great way to switch in on Gyarados and you will outrun Tar and Gyara before a Dragon Dance.

The point of this is to have fun and still ba able to beat many other pokemon. Stantler might not look like much and it can confuse opponents. It alos helps when they bring in their sleep talker (Suicune) and you 2HKO it with Energy Ball or Thunderbolt before they get an attack in.

No the point is this isn't listed in Stantler's other movesets and it should be.
No it shouldn't. As somebody already mentioned, all you've done is made an weaker, inferior Specs Girafarig, Intimidate is the only thing it has going for it.

Seriously Stantler has great array of moves like Hypnosis, Calm Mind + Intimidate, Reflect/Lightscreen, Me First with respectable offenses, Roar, Disable, Spite, Trick Room and its upteen attacks.

Yet all this is, slap on as many attacks as you can onto mediocre type/stats, take away its versatility and give it a random EV spread. Somehow it still ends up weaker than everything else which can do this. At least Girafarig gets Grass Knot and a STAB Psychic as well.

I definitely faced this on Shoddy, I don't know who was using it, maybe an alias of Kinglerdude, but I remember it putting a dent in something (would have been a 3hko) of mine with a shadow ball. I then pretty much neutralized it with blissey.

It seems like UU makes a lot more sense for SpecStantler. Spamming energy ball and hp fighting to hit all those walls thinking you are a physical attacker is a solid idea.

I have used (once, now it's my get back to top 100 on OU ladder extremely serious phase) UU pokemon in OU. It works well until you face someonme who knows the OU pokemon. And then they are swatted by Chomp or something.
So, basically, don't simply count on the surprise of the set, you must give it something else, or else it will get crushed when the opponent knows this. What if the set gets popular? Then it is destroyed. And that is the end of the matter.
And I don't see anything but surprise on this Stantler.

While you did prove it works decent in OU, I am 95% sure that there are a handful of OU pokemon that can weild specs with much more effectiveness.

Seems like nothing more than a Gimmick Set, it only takes one turn before the opponent catches on and if he doesn't, the person just sucks at pokemon. This is nothing but another novelty set to begin with and it is going to stay that way.

I think this would work much better if you abuse Stantler's intimidate, and make him bulky.

Drop Hidden Power for Hypnosis and he mught actually do something once your opponent switches in Blissey.

Those Tyranitar calculations look off. Did you remember to factor in Sandstorm sp def boost?
he didnt do it, with the sandstorm special defense boost hidden power fighting from stantler does between 65% and 76% damage, never an ohko.

The issue here is that, there's nothing unique about it, other than the fact that it's Stantler. For example, PorygonZ and Togekiss seem better in almost every way. Now if only it had some super unique moved that made it raped Blissey, then we could talk, but otherwise, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I'd much rather use Hypnosis on there anyways, with or without a Choice item.

The issue here is that, there's nothing unique about it, other than the fact that it's Stantler. For example, PorygonZ and Togekiss seem better in almost every way. Now if only it had some super unique moved that made it raped Blissey, then we could talk, but otherwise, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I'd much rather use Hypnosis on there anyways, with or without a Choice item.

Stantler learns Calm Mind right? He could use Hypnosis to... almost... piss off... Blissey.

Still, my vote is for bulky Stantler. He could still OHKO Gyarados, and likely survive a lot of damage from it.

from the very start kingler dude says that there are other pokes doing better against bliss and wallbreaking, he only is trying to give a specs moveset for anyone that wants to use a stantler, not trying to tell that stantler is a unique poke, period.

Well it can be used to OHKO-3KO walls/other things in the frame of surprise factor, but other than that not much.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes. That is a flaw in his calcs. Most walls have leftovers and he seems to be conveniently leaving them out.
When does he state that its a 2HKO on all of those Pokemon? Most and all have different connotations. He simply displayed the calcs, commenting that the worst Stantler does is 3HKO.

BTW, 50% on Blastoise means its a 2HKO with SR out, lefties or not. That snide comment there is really annoying, especially considering the work that has been put in here.

Nice set. Though really, wouldn't using Hypnosis set this apart from a lot of stuff? THis thing won't do anything much to Bliss, so you might as well put it to sleep, leaving no one in control, rather than do minimal damage and leave the opponent controlling that game for that turn.

well, there's one thing Stantler does have over other pokemon capable of using a choice specs set with the stated moves is not only intimidate, but its typing. The other fairly fast specs pokesl like girafarig, alakazam, gengar, misdreavous, etc are almost all, if not all, weak to the dark typing, and hence, pursuit. Not that this would warrant using this set entirely, but it should be said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)