Starcraft: Brood War

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Recently I've been playing WC3 to get myself back into 'shape' per se for SC2, but as that isn't too effective since they are, definitely, different games I might have to fire up Brood War and get cracking.

Have any of you guys that follow the Pro circuit actually played any professional players? Once, several years ago, I was on a stretch of trying out some of the other official Blizzard maps such as Dire Straits and what not rather than the standard LT to see if I could improve myself. Well, I ended up playing IntoTheRain- which was pretty cool. He joined since he was bored of playing standard LT too. This was about circa 2002 or so - I doubt Rain still plays. Regardless, ZvZ on a Muta map. He beat me pretty solidly, but I did put up a fight. It was still fun. :D

Where do you guys find all the Pro replays etc?

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, of course he's not "up there" yet, but he's doing a lot of nifty things that no protoss player is willing to try out. All of his matches has been highly entertaining (read: very good matches) so far, and I think while he's not getting "results" (there are key timings in the game where he just screws up - there was a match where he got too overconfident on his dark archon and lost like half of his high templars and a probes at an expo). I say he's going to be pretty awesome this time around and failing to qualify through VERY close games (not to mention he was in one of the most difficult groups) doesn't discredit him in anyway

@skarm

youtube.com/nevake
youtube.com/jon747

no one really uses official blizzard maps because well, they suck. the koreans got map balance down to an art and different maps give very different games

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, Blizzard maps on BW weren't really balanced, however they've done the SC2 ones well from the looks of the Battlereports. The new LT actually is more balanced than the original one. Also, the WC3 version of LT is quite balanced too.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, of course he's not "up there" yet, but he's doing a lot of nifty things that no protoss player is willing to try out. All of his matches has been highly entertaining (read: very good matches) so far, and I think while he's not getting "results" (there are key timings in the game where he just screws up - there was a match where he got too overconfident on his dark archon and lost like half of his high templars and a probes at an expo). I say he's going to be pretty awesome this time around and failing to qualify through VERY close games (not to mention he was in one of the most difficult groups) doesn't discredit him in anyway
This is all true. It's like the Zergs have finally found a way to completely lock down Protoss and no one is stepping up to stop them. Bisu got knocked out by some incredible games from Shine; Violet got unlucky with a good TvP player in MVP. Jangbi got completely annillated by Kwanro. Stork slipped by with an easy group. Movie has been playing well along with Pusan yet they are both B-Level players and will get instantly dominated by a good B-A level Zerg. In all honesty none of the Protoss players are going to have a shadow of a chance coming out of the Round of 16. Stork has a chance but even that seems slim.

I like Violet and we've talked about this before, but until you win a Starleague or show significant progress in one, I can't really call him a strong player. He shows great games, but if he lacks the results to back it up, then he is nothng. I think he shines in proleague because that matters more to him. If he puts up some good records in PL then I might change my opinion about him.

I also want to point out how dominate HyuK and Calm have looked. HyuK the notriously bad SKT zerg is 8-2 in his last 10 games with impressive wins over
Jaedong, Kwanro, Stork, and Backho
. The kid is rolling but hes gonna choke is my prediction.

Calm the reigning MSL champ is cruising by in his OSL groups. Hes a Royal Road contender and if he gets some good matchups (ZvZ and PvZ perferably) he might have a shot at the championship. I think his stumbling block may be Jaedong (who will be out for blood after last MSL) and any strong Terran.

wow i never realized this was here

my battle.net SN is the same as mine here, i mostly play UMS (Siege of Gondor, Helms Deep, most LotR maps acually) but Id play a little melee if someone wants :p i play fastest usually for melee
USEast

Where do you guys find all the Pro replays etc?
BW will give you much better practice for SC2 than FT will, you probably know that though, and yea it is fun to play the more fast-paced early game sometimes due to the hero system.

here's a favorite page of mine for reps- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=52045 well not reps but good views nonetheless...I thought they had a rep page maybe it's in the Liquipedia somewhere.

You can find good reps on www.repdepot.net and can search by map, matchup, player or race, and you can upload your own reps as well. The site will even average out APM for both players.

EDIT-if you're looking for good maps to play on, www.iccup.com download the antihack as well and play on icc server!!!!!

If anyone wants to play, I'm a terran player with very little game sense whatsoever. Lost almost all my games online. I mostly just like watching pro games x_X

I'd be up for some games if anyone wants to, keep in mind though that my timezone is GMT+2 (EST+7) and I usually don't stay up after 12 AM - 1 AM (GMT+2). I'm a bit rusty since I haven't played in a while, but with SC2 apparently coming out sometime near the end of the 2nd quarter of 2010..

I've just brought this game a week ago, having some experiance in WC3 over the past few months. I gotta say I love SC but am lacking people to play...most of the games seem to be team gaems and I'd prefer 1v1, so if anyone wishes to VS me PM me or post in here.

I'm going to edit my first post to add people's bnet/icc/hamachi/whatever usernames so if you'd like me to add yours pm me or post it, cause I only have like 3 so far :/

I find it really difficult to go from the WC3 UI to the starcraft one, so if I want to rts it up I tend to play WC3.

glad to see an SC:BW thread here :)

I'm not very good at this game, but I have some basic game sense down. My fault is in the mechanics aspect of the game, even midgame APM is too much for me to keep up with.

it's awesome to watch though.

hey guys would anyone be interested in a Starcraft Tournament amongst us? If so pointers on preferred maps/downloading places etc. would be nice and/or special rules?

hey guys would anyone be interested in a Starcraft Tournament amongst us? If so pointers on preferred maps/downloading places etc. would be nice and/or special rules?
As long as we can get 8 people overall (highly doubt it we could get more, but I think 8 is possible), I'd be up for this. Maps should probably be from iCCup, with standard rules (allied mines banned, etc.)

yea Iccup or KESPA maps would be preferred, and count me the fuck in! imo the best way to get it going would be to play over Iccup anyway due to it's antihack and LAN latency options.

I can't recall if stacked Observers over Turrets are banned or not. Something tells me they should be, but that's because I play Terran so I think they should be, and they're probably not.

2 out of 3 until the top 4? Then 3 out of 5?

What a great idea Pablo.

Has anyone been watching the MSL Finals? Possible spoiler below:

i myself was extremely disappointed and think that they should've had a rematch for game 3.i don't think flash was as behind as they made it seem.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm trying to get better, despite my lack of video game sense. Here is my info:

BNet ID: AX5
Portal: US East

EDIT: Wow, I watch some of these videos and wonder if I could even come close to that. I feel like a certain amount of skill in this game has to do with your ability to multitask and other natural talents, and that some people are just never going to be that good no matter how hard they practice.

Also lol @ the competition ones. I love when people cheer and the commentators get all excited when the Dark Archon casts Mind Control :)

matty

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone been watching the MSL Finals? Possible spoiler below:

i myself was extremely disappointed and think that they should've had a rematch for game 3.i don't think flash was as behind as they made it seem.
I am saddened that they didn't get to re-match but honestly, Flash was behind on a Terran based map with probably a 10% chance of winning that map. I agree with the call but I think it ruined an amazing game but whatever.

Atleast Games 1+2 were awesome.

I am saddened that they didn't get to re-match but honestly, Flash was behind on a Terran based map with probably a 10% chance of winning that map. I agree with the call but I think it ruined an amazing game but whatever.

Atleast Games 1+2 were awesome.
Eh? What happened to match 3?

matty

Power Outage at the studio that Flash and Jaedong were playing in. KeSpa stepped in and decided to give the map to JaeDong. In the foreign communities (especially Teamliquid), the fanboys are on the rampage..... its been a huge fiasco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)