Starcraft: Brood War

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Saw that, lol'd

Then realized that HyuK HyuKed himself as usual. Never seen a
proxy hatch in your opponents base
Such a fail game.

I hate to possibly beat a dead horse, but does anyone else like Pablo's idea of a Smogon tourney? I think it'd be a nice chance for the newbier players to see how the game is played on a competitive level (at least somewhat).

I'm a big fan of the game. I usually just join random games, not really competitive, and I've actually got a little addicted to Fastest maps. I bet quite a few people hate those maps those, so whatever. I'll try icup sometime. Battlenet username is Veldurak.

I hate to possibly beat a dead horse, but does anyone else like Pablo's idea of a Smogon tourney? I think it'd be a nice chance for the newbier players to see how the game is played on a competitive level (at least somewhat).
Well I still think we should do this honestly. I'm trying to get better in anticipation of SC2, and it should be fun no? We could probably get 8 of us and have best of 3/5 matches to determine the overall winner? I dunno, but I would love to get this done. I'll probably get pwned by many of you, but I should still be a fun experience.

Hot Nikkels do you have msn by any chance? Maybe we could arrange this?

Unfortunately no, I no longer use AIM/MSN etc since I just found that Facebook allows me to do the same. We can discuss any ideas over PM or I can PM you my e-mail so you can search for me on Facebook if you'd like.

Ok, so I've pm'd everyone in this thread (I think, if I've forgotten and anyone else wants in a Smogon SC tourney let me know), and while the responses were minimal, we're close to having a decent amount of people for a tournament. So far I've only gotten Squarewalker, Skarm, Keloggsequent, Pablo, and myself as definite entries, with D2M and TDS as possible entries, I guess depending on the turnout.

At least one of those people has expressed concerns regarding the end of the school semester, I share that issue myself, so I can pretty safely say that that won't be a problem in terms of scheduling. If the choices come down to waiting a few weeks, or not doing this at all, obviously we can all be patient, right friends???

Almost all of you have expressed concerns regarding your skill level, how often you play/being rusty, and generally how seriously you take the game. As I said, this was almost all of you, and I myself am D on iccup so I'm not really great at the game either. Rest assured that you will likely not be grossly outmatched by anyone here.

So if D2M and TDS do decide they want in, we'll need only one more person to make it an even eight player tournament.

any takers?

Bah, I could try. I was never competitive in BW, but I have gotten a bit more competent in SC2, so if there are any beta players here...

But anyway, I'll give it a shot.

I'm game for it if you guys still need players.

But honestly and seriously, I'm so new and bad at this game, I'm 100% free.

matty

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So Tangerine, QibingZero, Whistle, rory, and myself sometimes play together on iCCup.

I also enjoy watching proleague and I'm more than happy to chat about that anytime. Also for you that are members of teamliquid.net a few of us are playing Fantasy league if you wanna join our group.

matty

Well, the story has been circulating around the Starcraft forums for awhile. I mean its pretty straight forward: Illegal betting sites pay young, eager "athletes" to throw games for a large sum of money. The Illegal betting sites then make overwhelming amount of money in return. We know it happened multiple times (Could still be going on?). What is funny about the entire situation is that KeSPA met with the sites to try and work out an agreement behind closed doors which failed completely. Now they are back tracking, the government got involved and its a huge fiasco.

At first I was skeptical, but it does make sense in a lot of ways. The most prominent case being sAviOr, one of the greatest players ever suddenly becoming awful. Other gamers include Luxury and Yellow (the SC twins), Upmagic and SangHo from eSTRO, possibly Bisu or JaeDong (but I find these very unlikely).

I think this is a good discussion, but until the investigation releases names and its all theorycraft, I won't comment much further.

Ok, so I've pm'd everyone in this thread (I think, if I've forgotten and anyone else wants in a Smogon SC tourney let me know), and while the responses were minimal, we're close to having a decent amount of people for a tournament. So far I've only gotten Squarewalker, Skarm, Keloggsequent, Pablo, and myself as definite entries, with D2M and TDS as possible entries, I guess depending on the turnout.

At least one of those people has expressed concerns regarding the end of the school semester, I share that issue myself, so I can pretty safely say that that won't be a problem in terms of scheduling. If the choices come down to waiting a few weeks, or not doing this at all, obviously we can all be patient, right friends???

Almost all of you have expressed concerns regarding your skill level, how often you play/being rusty, and generally how seriously you take the game. As I said, this was almost all of you, and I myself am D on iccup so I'm not really great at the game either. Rest assured that you will likely not be grossly outmatched by anyone here.

So if D2M and TDS do decide they want in, we'll need only one more person to make it an even eight player tournament.

any takers?
If this is still going to happen, I'd be glad to join. I only hadn't responded to your PM since I've been inactive here for about a year now. I am slightly better than anyone I've played from smogon so far. Was a C player years ago, but I'm lucky if I could pass D+ nowadays.

Since there are 4-5 of us who play that you didn't list, it might help if you were to hang out in #starcraft on IRC. We could definitely set something up.

So Tangerine, QibingZero, Whistle, rory, and myself sometimes play together on iCCup.

I also enjoy watching proleague and I'm more than happy to chat about that anytime. Also for you that are members of teamliquid.net a few of us are playing Fantasy league if you wanna join our group.
Smogon has a group there? What's it called?

I was number 1 on fantasy earlier this week but now I'm number 2. Probably gonna go down since MBC randomly sent out Saint and BeSt lost to Saint...

apparently I'd have to pay for irc? at least that's what mIRC told me after installing...so unfortunately I won't be able to get to you guys there....but anyone can pm me or post here

Also this is my last week of classes for the semester, so I'd be ready to start soon. Does anyone have more than a week left?

matty

Go get yourself Firefox and download Chatzilla and you are good to go nikkels

In other news, Flash is dominating. Can he sweep both the MSL and OSL?

bumping this topic. I think the tourney could be started

Until then maybe throw ideas out here regarding

- which maps would be used (maybe more standard, 'classic' ones like Python, Lost Temple [the edited version where Terran aren't too OP because of the cliff advantage above the naturals], etc. instead of the more technical ones seeing as most people who would participate are around D level here)

- what stuff should/shouldn't be allowed (lurker hold, allied mines, obs over turret, etc.)

- and seeing as most games (at low level especially) without all-in rushes generally end in 15-20 mins or less anyway, to make the tourney more interesting, as well as not to just let someone 5pool every game, maybe make the rounds be Best of 3?

P.S. I can't believe I had a SC2 beta key almost since the start of the beta, but my comp's CPU can't handle the game :/

Whats the point of those rules?
Allied mines are banned in pretty much all tournaments as well as on iCCup. How well the other stuff can be abused to warrant a ban is questionable, and they've been allowed in some tournaments and banned in others, so I'm just throwing them out here to ask what others' opinion is about allowing them or not, even if they're situational.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)