Status Hazard

Hmm, Transform hazard + Chansey = Balanced Hackmons. That sounds rather interesting.
Unfortunately, chansey can't take advantage of set-up sweepers anymore.

Pikachu also looks like a decent abuser of Transform, and although I said Transform was not viable, a simple core of Mew/Chansey or Mew/Pikachu could maybe be decent.

Simple Beam + Memento/Other Statdrop would be a nice combination as well if you want your opponent to REALLY have low stats. Too bad that all Pokemon that learn the move are rather useless on their own

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Simple Beam + Memento/Other Statdrop would be a nice combination as well if you want your opponent to REALLY have low stats. Too bad that all Pokemon that learn the move are rather useless on their own
I don't think simple beam would be necessary to neuter the opposing team. I think memento+paralysis would be better probably.

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
This is probably a bad concept, but I'm going to keep going with it.
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Earthquake

Okay, so first of all I chose Dugtrio for two reasons. Of all the memento users, Dugtrio is the fastest and outspeed a lot of things. The second reason is it has the ability arena trap which would be able to guarentee the Pokemon it comes in on isn't memento proof.

Alright now for the moves,
substitute, protects against some status moves like toxic, burn.
I imagine that this idea would work best in a stall team so Stealth rock is a pretty good idea.
Memento is kinda the point.
And then earthquake is just the last move to present some offensive ability.

Some potential threats for this would be rapid spin and Defog as you cannot set up memento again, so a spin blocker would be absolutely necessary.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
This is probably a bad concept, but I'm going to keep going with it.
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Earthquake

Okay, so first of all I chose Dugtrio for two reasons. Of all the memento users, Dugtrio is the fastest and outspeed a lot of things. The second reason is it has the ability arena trap which would be able to guarentee the Pokemon it comes in on isn't memento proof.

Alright now for the moves,
substitute, protects against some status moves like toxic, burn.
I imagine that this idea would work best in a stall team so Stealth rock is a pretty good idea.
Memento is kinda the point.
And then earthquake is just the last move to present some offensive ability.

Some potential threats for this would be rapid spin and Defog as you cannot set up memento again, so a spin blocker would be absolutely necessary.
just a few things to note, 1)this meta is based off the first two moveslots, which means memento wouldn't become a hazard in this moveset. switch sub and memento and everythings all good. 2) why substitute when memento kills you off regardless anyways. i dont really see the point since subbing just breaks your sash, and potentially forces you to just lay 1 hazard rather then both if you get attacked instead of statused. and 3) why are you running special defense evs? id imagine duggy is way too frail to use those EV's, and much prefers the extra attack boost so its not a sitting duck before it mementos itself to death.

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
just a few things to note, 1)this meta is based off the first two moveslots, which means memento wouldn't become a hazard in this moveset. switch sub and memento and everythings all good. 2) why substitute when memento kills you off regardless anyways. i dont really see the point since subbing just breaks your sash, and potentially forces you to just lay 1 hazard rather then both if you get attacked instead of statused. and 3) why are you running special defense evs? id imagine duggy is way too frail to use those EV's, and much prefers the extra attack boost so its not a sitting duck before it mementos itself to death.
Whoops, didn't even notice the move slot limit. I have it sub so it could set up momento on many mons and not just offensive ones. The ideal situation would be applying both rocks and then memento.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Whoops, didn't even notice the move slot limit. I have it sub so it could set up momento on many mons and not just offensive ones. The ideal situation would be applying both rocks and then memento.
if they status you, you can still set up both the hazards though .-. enless they taunt/encore you, which sub doesn't block. or if their faster, which still forces only 1 hazard.

edit: oh, enless sleep i guess, but most people will use spore hazard and not actual sleep moves.

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
if they status you, you can still set up both the hazards though .-. enless they taunt/encore you, which sub doesn't block. or if their faster, which still forces only 1 hazard.

edit: oh, enless sleep i guess, but most people will use spore hazard and not actual sleep moves.
I suppose. I'm really not the best theorymonner

Going over the full list, minus the banned/useless ones... (Incidentally, why is Topsy-Turvy not listed as "useless"?)

Attract

Powerful if it pays off, but probably not worth it -many top-tier threats have no gender, and only a few relevant threats have fixed gender. I guess you could use this to, for instance, run an all-female team to make Landorus, Tornadus, and Thundurus much less reliable of threats... or an all-male team to mess up Chansey, which is pretty staple on stall.

Unfortunately, unlike most effects it will fail if you have the wrong Pokemon in front of the opponent and will wear off if you switch, so even in those contexts it's pretty questionable.

Baby Doll Eyes

Having priority is not a particularly relevant advantage. Unless you have some reason to run a specific Pokemon that happens to have Baby Doll Eyes... and really, even then... it's probably not worth it. Better than Growl just because it's harder for the enemy to block it, but not good. Charm and so on is superior.

Bestow

Theoretically could be kind of mean if combined with Choice Knock Off spam?

Captivate

This and Memento are your only options for harshly lowering Special Attack on the switch-in. As Memento KOs the user, Captivate might be worth considering. Overall better than Attract, anyway, since it doesn't break from you switching out your own Pokemon. Probably not worth eating one of your two Status Hazard slots, though, especially since it can trigger Defiant.

Charm/Feather Dance

Harshly lower every Pokemon's Attack on the switch-in for free? Awesome. Only Competitive and Contrary can really punish it, and the best Contrary user doesn't actually appreciate an Attack boost most of the time.

Confide

Lower Special Attack 1 stage. Decent for keeping the pressure from Special attackers off of you, but directly inferior to Parting Shot and Eerie Impulse outside of Defiant and Competitive getting to double-trigger off of those.

Confuse Ray/Supersonic/Sweet Kiss/Teeter Dance

plz ban

Cotton Spore/Scary Face/String Shot

Super Sticky Web, more or less. Note that Cotton Spore doesn't work on Pokemon immune to spore/powder moves.

Curse

Godly, putting tremendous pressure on literally anything that switches in, bar Magic Guard. All but forces the enemy to bring in a Defogger now. (Rapid Spin won't work against anything capable of setting Curse) Less useful against offense than balance or stall, arguably, but turning 80% hits into a KO at the end of the turn is nothing to scoff at.

Dark Void/Lovely Kiss/Hypnosis/Grass Whistle/Sing

Spore, but works on everything not immune to Sleep per se. (Or Sound in Grass Whistle's and Sing's case, but... what Soundproof 'mons?) Sleep Clause means it'll only work once, though. Probably powerful, might be too easy for the foe to switch in whatever least hurts to have asleep. Hard to say.

Defog/Sweet Scent

Kind of nifty as a support to spamming moves like Focus Blast and Hurricane. Debatable as to whether it's worth the slot, though.
Eerie Impulse/Noble Roar/Parting Shot

Weaken offense generally... but double-trigger Competitive and Defiant. Great stuff until the enemy turns it on you.

Parting Shot is mildly interesting, since the user switches out on setting it. Too bad it has terrible distribution.

Embargo

5 turns of no item is amazing. Scarfs can't actually revenge, Eviolite Chansey loses a third of its bulk, Leftovers 'mons have to wait an age to get any healing, Life Orb loses its punch... one of the best, most general Status Hazards in the game, as there's no way to actually punish it, and the only things that ignore it are some Acrobatics 'mons, Mega Pokemon, and Klutz Pokemon.

Entrainment/Gastro Acid/Worry Seed/Simple Beam

Forces the enemy to copy your Ability anytime they switch in, crippling anything reliant on its Ability to function at all, bar the Pokemon immune to the effect. Conversely, risks doing the enemy's job for them if they were planning on running Slaking, Archeops, or Regigigas.

Gastro Acid avoids giving the enemy useful Abilities, and Worry Seed and Simple Beam give them a fixed Ability. (Don't do Simple Beam, why would you do that) Overall Entrainment is the worst of the options.

Fake Tears/Metal Sound

Great for Special attacking teams: doubled damage on everything! As "Special wall with Clear Body" and the like isn't exactly a common archetype, it's genuinely difficult to deal with Fake Tears. Combine with boosting and you get calcs like

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. -2 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 676-795 (105.2 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

this.

Scary stuff.

Flash/Sand Attack/Kinesis/Smokescreen

Lower enemy Accuracy one stage on switch-in. Can be ban this as uncompetitive? It even does stuff like give Rapid Spin and Defog a 25% chance of failing to clear it! This is horrible.

Flatter

plz ban

Foresight/Odor Sleuth

Could be pretty cool on Normal and/or Fighting-focused teams, forcing the enemy to clear it if they want their Ghost to actually be a switch-in to Extreme Speed or Boomburst or Close Combat or whatever. There's also the Evasion modification-affecting thing, but eh.

Forests Curse

Add Grass type to everything on the enemy team and have Talonflame sweep.

Obviously don't combine this with trying to use Spore or anything of the sort.

Probably inferior to Soak and Trick Or Treat, strangely.

Glare/Thunder Wave/Stun Spore

Paralyze on switch-in is pretty amazing for ruining offense, and isn't useful against stall. Not necessarily ideal, though. There's probably better options. Compared to just lowering their Speed normally, it's primary advantage is honestly that it doesn't trigger Defiant/Competitive, which is itself mostly relevant for Bisharp Sucker Punch sweeping.

Growl/Play Nice

Your worst options for lowering Attack. Might show up in the meta anyway, if some good setter has one of these as its best option, I guess.

Guard Split

A quirky stallbreaker tool: run glass cannons, set Guard Split, laugh at walls trying to switch in. Probably inferior to just lowering their stat stages, however.

Guard Swap

Spam Close Combat and pass the penalties on to the switch-in. Particularly useful if combined with Roar or Whirlwind. (Which is totally a possible combination: Staraptor can do it, Cobalion can do it...) Could be neat.

Heal Block

The best stallbreaker, ruining any and all attempts to heal. All but demands that a Defogger or Rapid Spinner is able to switch in on whatever is going to set Heal Block.

Heal Pulse

Could be a mean trick to pull on a Magic Bouncer expecting to switch into something you don't want on your side. Don't use it otherwise.

Heart Swap

Stuff like Superpower, Close Combat, and Draco Meteor can be used to scare out checks -and then re-used.

Leech Seed

Stealth Rock neutral/one layer of Spikes, only it fails on Grass types but steals 1/8th of the their health rather than simply removing said health. Fantastic for a stall team or a bulky attacker team, and can make it easier to tolerate enemy damaging hazards.

Leer/Tail Whip

Eeeeh. There's probably better options, like Tickle.

Lock On/Mind Reader

Better than Defog, except for the part where it breaks if you switch one of your Pokemon out. Could maybe be useful in conjunction with Inferno, Dynamic Punch, etc.

Memento

Godly, with even Competitive and Defiant not getting that much use out of it -just +2. Requires you sacrifice a Pokemon though, so don't be too aggressive about setting it if you're not confident in your ability to punish an attempt to clear hazards.

Miracle Eye

Could be nifty for a Psychic-heavy team to make Dark types less of an issue. Otherwise useless.

Nightmare

Combines decently with throwing around Sleep. If there were no Sleep Clause, this could potentially be about as nasty as Curse, since it doesn't have a steep cost associated with it. Since there is a Sleep Clause, it's a lot iffier.

Pain Split

Run low HP Pokemon, set Pain Split, profit.

Probably inferior to Leech Seed, as the opponent can switch in their own low health Pokemon to heal it and harm you. Leech Seed has no such backfire risk.

Poison Gas/Poison Powder

I'd rather set Toxic Spikes, since they don't eat one of your precious two Status Hazard slots.

Power Split

See my Guard Split entry, but reverse the idea: stall can use it to reduce offense's effectiveness. Mainly notable for not triggering Defiant or Competitive and not being possible to be immune to like Will O Wisp.

Power Swap

Garchomp lobs a Draco Meteor, the target switches out because it can't take a follow-up Physical hit, Garchomp's ready to use another Draco Meteor. Could be neat... so long as you're not trying to set up too much, yourself.

Psych Up

Run self-penalizing moves, I guess. Power Swap/Heart Swap seems better.

Psycho Shift

Punishes attempts to inflict major statuses on you by passing them on when the enemy switches. Eh.

Reflect Type

I guess this is kind of useful, since so many types resist themselves. Might be neat for a stall team? Maybe?

Role Play

Steal enemy Ability any time they switch in.

Probably not worth it.

Skill Swap

Forcibly swaps Abilities. Has the advantage that even Magic Bounce is no protection, and if you're fine with being Skill Swapped, it can even be advantageous to overwrite one of the slots on your side with Skill Swap.

Screech

Harshly lowering enemy Defense is fantastic if you're Physically focused. Blocked by Soundproof, which is potentially unfortunate. Overall though, see my entry on harshly lowering Special Defense, and fill in with Physical attacker against Physical wall.
Sleep Powder/Spore

The previous Sleep moves, but spore and powder immunity. Spore's 100% Accuracy isn't as important to an entry hazard.
Soak

Force everything to be a pure Water type, overwriting STAB and making them consistently weak to Electric and Grass, bar Abilities. Sweep. One of the more amazing hazards with the right kind of team.

Switcheroo/Trick

Switch items around constantly.

Probably not a good idea, unfortunately.

Telekinesis

See Defog and Sweet Scent, only make it work on Clear Body and for moves with 50% Accuracy. Downside: Ground move immunity is given to them. Not much of a disadvantage if you weren't planning on running Ground moves anyway. Could be nifty.

Tickle

Lowers Attack and Defense. Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth running, but it is unique in lowering offense and defense at once.

Torment

Since Taunt is banned from being a hazard, Torment is a close second for screwing with stall -no, you can't just sit there Softboiling until you're out of the danger zone. Of limited utility otherwise, and isn't even effective against Wishtectors.

Toxic

Toxic Spikes can fill much the same role without eating one of your slots, but it takes two turns and has to hope the enemy is grounded. As such, Toxic has an actual niche. Mostly for punishing Stall. Again.

Transform

This is funny, but I can't imagine an actual purpose to it.

Trick Or Treat

Combine with Pursuit trapping for hilarity. If you combine it with Soak, even Fighting, Dark, and Fairy type Pokemon will take super effective damage from Pursuit!

Venom Drench

If you're spreading Poison/Toxic anyway, this is a pretty nifty way to punish offense teams, lowering both offenses and Speed all in one go. Note that it will trigger Defiant and Competitive three times, however. (Though thankfully Bisharp is immune if you're not using Soak to bypass that or something)

Will-O-Wisp

Cripple any Physical attacker that isn't Guts or a Fire type while racking up passive damage. Awesome.

Yawn

Delayed Sleep inducement. There's probably uses to this, though I'm not thinking of any.

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
So something I just realized. M-Sableye is just fucking godly in this meta. Turn 1 status-hazard up with prankster. All turns status-hazards are reflected with magic bounce. Whenever it switches in, destroy ghost and dark type status-hazards, I.e memento, trick-or-treat, torment, curse, fake tears.

Going over the full list, minus the banned/useless ones... (Incidentally, why is Topsy-Turvy not listed as "useless"?)
Status hazards take effect in the order they are laid. If you were were afraid of baton pass or defiant it might be useful. also if you run flatter
Other than that, though, this is pretty much spot on.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Lower Special Attack 1 stage. Decent for keeping the pressure from Special attackers off of you, but directly inferior to Parting Shot and Eerie Impulse outside of Defiant and Competitive getting to double-trigger off of those.
parting shot is the only one of the two mentioned that gives double boosts. it just checks "General" boosting of stats and not the stat drops specificly, so eerie impulse doesn't activate competative/defiant twice while parting shot and memento activates it twice. (just saying because the wording makes it seem as if you didn't know this, if you did just disregard what i say)

To generate some discussion, should Fake Tears and the like be banned?

Personally, I'm on the fence about it, as Serperior, Diancie & Assault Vest Metagross can counter the sweeper taking advantage of the status. Tentacruel also deserves a special mention, as it is specially bulky & can rapid spin away Fake Tears. However, outside of those four mons, not much else can reliably deal with the hazard, as the only other viable Clear Body user being Registeel. Bisharp could work, but that's shaky. Not even the best special sponges can take a special attack after a turn of set up. Depending on the sweeper, the above pokemon may not even be able to check it, and there goes your Fake Tears counter.

I am leaning more towards banning the hazard, but it may need testing on a server before we can come to a conclusion.

use haze as entry hazard
send in a choice banded/scarfed/specd victini(v create) /any other overheat/dracometeor etc user
most likely 2hko and haze resets stats

So by setting up Perish Song and Mean Look...
Yeah.
Perish Song by itself is pretty annoying because this meta revolves around hazards.

Putting up Lock-On/Mind Reader will give your team No Guard without giving the same power to you opponent.

Sand Attack + Smokescreen + Flash. Even one of these can turn the meta into a hax-fest. Ban this ASAP.

Simple Beam + any -stats move (Screech) will break everything with simple priority moves like Mach Punch.

Also, how will Helping Hand work? According to the "rules" section (one adjacent Pokemon; didn't specify as ally or opponent), it should work by giving the buff to the first attack of any newly-switched Pokemon. 1.5x power plus LO/Band/Specs is not pretty. Although I imagine it will wear off before the first attack.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Yeah.
Perish Song by itself is pretty annoying because this meta revolves around hazards.

Putting up Lock-On/Mind Reader will give your team No Guard without giving the same power to you opponent.

Sand Attack + Smokescreen + Flash. Even one of these can turn the meta into a hax-fest. Ban this ASAP.

Simple Beam + any -stats move (Screech) will break everything with simple priority moves like Mach Punch.

Also, how will Helping Hand work? According to the "rules" section (one adjacent Pokemon; didn't specify as ally or opponent), it should work by giving the buff to the first attack of any newly-switched Pokemon. 1.5x power plus LO/Band/Specs is not pretty. Although I imagine it will wear off before the first attack.
Good thing Mean Look and similar moves are banned then.

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
use haze as entry hazard
Yeah.

• The status move must be a status move that affects a target or multiple targets but not all pokemon on the field or the user itself to be able to become an entry hazard, i.e. status moves that target these 3 categories: One Adjacent Pokemon, All Adjacent Opponents, and All Adjacent Pokemon.
If you check the /dt command on PS! or check Bulbapedia or whatever, you can see that Haze targets all pokemon, which includes the user, meaning it can't be used as a Status Hazard.

And regarding Helping Hand, it can only target an ally, not an opponent, which means it can't be used as a Status Hazard. I guess I should have specified even more clearly that for it to be possible for a status move to become a Status Hazard it must be able to target an opponent. Anyway, if you're on PS! and you check a move with the /dt command, if the target isn't one of these 3 categories: One Adjacent Pokemon, All Adjacent Opponents, and All Adjacent Pokemon, then the move can't become a Status Hazard.

You make a valid point regarding accuracy dropping hazards, but I'd rather give it some testing first.

And regarding Simple Beam + any -stats move, I don't really agree there except for the case of Fake Tears. In other cases the strat can be counterplayed by using stat dropping hazards yourself, not to mention the Will-O-Wisp hazard.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Torment seems pretty underrated here. Completely shut down any Choiced mons, remove the ability for walls to spam recovery and make it easier to predict? Yes please!

When you use entrainment is the ability of the pokemon who used it or the current pokemon used upon switch in because if it is the ability of the pokemon who used it durant with truant could be decent.

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
When you use entrainment is the ability of the pokemon who used it or the current pokemon used upon switch in because if it is the ability of the pokemon who used it durant with truant could be decent.
It should be the ability of the setter.

Durant @ Focus Sash
Ability: Truant
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Entrainment
- Toxic
- Protect
- Iron Head

Ninjask @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Return

Durant sets entrainment and if possible toxic, other another setter can out down a damaging status move. Then switch in ninjask after forcing them to switch out and use swords dance when they are being truant and protect when they aren't. Probably better people to set up with, I just chose ninjask because he's fast.

It's worth noting that non-gendered mons CAN be attracted... if you're using another non-gendered mon. EDIT: Never mind, that move is even more useless than I thought. Still annoying in the right circumstances. (Other than that, great analysis!)

Mega Absol, Haxorus, and Mega Gyarados sound like utterly fantastic leads in this meta. Magic Bounce with a quick Embargo hazard or a lethal attack for predicting wrong sounds great, and I don't need to explain Mold Breaker Taunt too much. Slowbro, Aromatisse, and Mega Sableye alike fall to that maneuver. The rest of them can also set decent hazards of their own...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)