XY RU Sticky Web - Water Spout Jelli [Peaked 1478]

Introduction:
Hello everyone and welcome to my first RU RMT! Lately I've been trying to stay away from the OU tier because it's literally *copy pokeaim's team because he made a video with it*. I'm enjoying UU and RU at the moment, as I can make half-decent teams and do well on the ladder. With that in mind, I tried to create a Sticky Web-based team in RU and see how it competes with the current balanced offense teams. I was thinking Leavanny, but really, Kricketune is probably the best lead Sticky Web user in NU/RU. It's overlooked by people who go straight to Leavanny as a Sticky Web lead. Well, they're wrong. I know some people have said this before, but Kricketune outclasses Leavanny in so many ways. Yes, Leavanny has high attack, high speed, powerful Dual Stab and Magic Coat, BUT, it really can't stop lead Accelgor/Omastar that well. Sure, you can spam Magic Coat all day, but the opponent will most likely be able to take you down with Ice Beam/Bug Buzz and it's really predictable. You see, my friend here Kricketune gets Taunt AND Knock Off. These are 2 fantastic utility moves in the competitive scene. You can finally prevent Omastar from setting up hazards by outspeeding it and taunt, while also being able to set up Sticky Web. This was the start of my team structure, and, without further ado, let's get onto the team!
Team Building:
upload_2014-10-1_10-40-33.png
upload_2014-10-1_10-41-50.png

My intention for the team was running these 2 mons. Kricketune is fantastic as a lead Sticky Webber. Jellicent was an amazing wall last gen. It has good HP, bulk and typing. But... it wasn't really looked at as an offensive threat. Even now, in gen 6, people seem to think that Jellicent can't OHKO anything; but with Water Spout, it can 2HKO just about any pokemon if hit neutrally.
upload_2014-10-1_10-56-55.png
upload_2014-10-1_10-56-51.png
upload_2014-10-1_10-56-36.png
upload_2014-10-1_10-57-43.png

At this point, I knew I needed a FWG core, as it can severely break through defensive cores. I chose Delphox as my Fire Pokemon because it can deal with bulky grass types such as Amoonguss, Abomasnow, AV Tangrowth, etc. Delphox can take all of those annoying bulky grass types with ease. After adding Delphox, I knew I needed a grass type, so I skimmed through the pokemon viable. Looking at the team so far, I knew priority would be fantastic. With Zoroark leaving, Shiftry is the best Sucker Punch user in the tier, filling in the perfect puzzle for my team.

upload_2014-10-1_11-2-43.png
upload_2014-10-1_11-3-10.png

I wanted a Gallade, simply because it's extremely powerful and it outspeeds every non-scarfed Pokemon in the tier in Sticky Web. After watching Pokeaim's video with that Gallade sweep, I knew that I wanted to slap it with a Choice Band. (lol, much inspiration) Now though... I was weak to Bird spam, particularly Jr. Talonflame, otherwise known as Fletchinder. Of the 30 games I've played with this team, I've only seen 2 Fletchinders. I added Rhyperior on the team because it can tank Flying hits for daysss and can also set up rocks for them later on. It has great dual STAB with EdgeQuake and sets up rocks given the right switch in.

upload_2014-10-1_11-2-43.png
upload_2014-10-1_11-13-13.png

Yeah, scrap Rhyperior. It just wasn't fast enough, even in the Sticky Web, so I replaced it with Tyrantrum. It has base 71 Speed, which can outspeed anything and reliably get up rocks. It also gets Dragon coverage, anything that FWG can't hit. It's also powerful, being able to smack anything before it dies.

In Depth:
kricketune.gif
kricketune.gif

Kricketune @ Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Sticky Web | Taunt | Knock Off/X-Scissor | Endeavor

I love this Bug. I've been using in the past few weeks and I've fallen in love with it. I said this before, but I'm going to say it again; it outclasses Leavanny. Knock Off + Sticky Web is illegal on Leavanny, but not on Kricketune. It can also learn Taunt, crippling primary hazard setters and walls that think they can Wish Protect: not happening. Focus Sash is a great combination with Endeavor, as it can bring any 1 pokemon down to 1 HP without any costs. Knock Off can hit Delphox pretty hard if it decides to come in or lead, as well as other Psychic/Ghost types. It can also remove bulky walls' lefties which can open up a gate for me to start spamming powerful Life Orb/Choiced moves. You can also run X-Scissor, meaning that it gets the Swarm Boost when the Focus Sash activates. It's kinda iffy though, as you're at 1 HP anyway, so might as well Endeavor to revenge kill the opposing Pokemon. I prefer Knock Off > X-Scissor, but whatever works.

jellicent.gif
upload_2014-10-1_13-49-38.png
jellicent.gif

Jellicent @ Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
IVS: 0 Atk
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
Water Spout | Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Shadow Ball

After watching a battle in UU with Sticky Web + Water Spout Blastoise, I knew I had to try out the same version in RU. Jellicent is a fantastic abuser of Water Spout, with it's great coverage and the ability to spin block. Because Hitmonlee Rapid Spins so easily in the tier, and its access to freaking Knock Off :[, I would sack Jelli just to get a free switch in to Delphox to revenge. Modest Nature because it really needs the extra power. 252 EVs in Speed makes it so it can outspeed base 100 speed pokes in Sticky Web. Water Spout, the base 150 Water move at full HP... This thing is EXTREMLY fun to play in RU because it's soooo unexpected. Although it only has a base 85 SpAtk, Water Spout makes up for it. It has amazing coverage with Ice Beam, smacking Amoonguss on the switch in for a 2HKO. Shadow Ball is there for STAB and hits anything that Water/Ice doesn't hit for neutral.

delphox.gif
delphox.gif

Delphox @ Blaze
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
IVS: 0 Atk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Calm Mind | Flamethrower | Psyshock | Grass Knot

Omg. This thing kills something every game. With Life Orb, it really does tear up the tier with it's great coverage. Delphox is also a backup Pokemon just in case hazards get Defog'd early game by Gligar. Timid Nature is there for outspeeding most of the tier and also tieing with other Delphox. If you set up just 1 Calm Mind with this thing, man, it sweeps. If the opponent doesn't have a Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak user, it burns through teams, because everything that outspeeds Delphox generally doesn't run Scarf. The only scarfer I can think of is Cinccino, which isn't really seen as a threat, especially with Tyrantrum around. I'm running Flamethrower because it's really disheartening when Fire Blast misses in a crucial moment of the match. Psyshock > Psychic because Flamethrower takes care of the special side. Grass Knot is there to obviously hit bulky Water types.

shiftry.gif
shiftry.gif

Shiftry @ Early Bird
Jolly Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Knock Off | Sucker Punch | Seed Bomb | Swords Dance

Knock, Knock! Shiftry :] This thing has amazing synergy with Jelli and Delphox. Many of you know that this threat was insanely powerful in the NU tier, which is why it rose up to RU. With the ability to run a mixed set, it can hit physically defensive Aromatisse and Gligar for a much more significant amount. Naught Nature is there simply because you can outspeed most things in the tier with Sticky Web up, so that added power really helps. Knock Off, mandatory. Sucker Punch for amazing priority and Rock Slide to hit Moltres on the switch in, or if it's locked in to HP Grass. Shiftry is a beast when it comes to late game sweeping and can take care of Delphox/Jelli checks.

hitmonlee.gif
hitmonlee.gif

Hitmonlee
@ Reckless

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
High Jump Kick | Mach Punch | Knock Off | Rapid Spin

*Suggested by Molk
Having Hitmonlee on the team makes more sense than Gallade. It's neutral to Ghost, resisted by Dark and has even more power without having to be choice locked. Rapid Spin also makes sense because I need that extra power with Water Spout and Delphox doesn't like rocks :X

gallade.gif
upload_2014-10-1_13-49-7.png
gallade.gif

Gallade @ Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Close Combat | Psycho Cut | Shadow Sneak | Knock Off

This thing is a MONSTER. With a base Atk of 125, it clicks Close Combat and takes something out, if not 2HKOs. Again, +Atk nature because it outspeeds most of the tier under Sticky Web. Gallade wasn't put on here for a real reason, except sheer power. Unlike the FWG or a Stealth Rocker, this thing just comes in on anything it feels like and it can OHKO it, if not dent it. It also has the special bulk of Bronzong, which is pretty awesome too. Close Combat + Psycho Cut hits the whole of RU pretty hard. Knock Off because bulky Ghosts and the best move in the game. Shadow Sneak for priority vs. Pokes that wanna Sucker me. All in all, Gallade is just there to spam Close Combat when Shiftry gets rid of Cofag and when Delphox gets rid of all the annoying Fairies, which still can't switch into a CC.

tyrantrum.gif
upload_2014-10-1_13-50-7.png
tyrantrum.gif

Tyrantrum @ Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature(+Atk, -SpAtk)
Stealth Rock | Stone Edge | Ice Fang | Earthquake

I replaced Rhyperior because of the fact that it was a snail. It was extremely slow, not being able to set up rocks and get OHKO'd by a water/grass type. With Tyrantrum being able to learn EdgeQuake, it's on the same level as Rhyperior. With a nice speed of 241, it can generally get up rocks if need be. Dragon Claw is Tyrantrum's most powerful Dragon STAB and can kill Druddigon to give way for Delphox to sweep.

Conclusion
Well, that brings this RMT to a close. I'm still attempting to ladder with this team, but I keep facing the same god damn opponents =.= I'm Aussie, so at night, no one's online to play RU with me. :[
Anyway, I'm not like those cool kids who give shoutouts or anything, but I can congratulate you for reading this if you read the whole thing.

Kricketune @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Tyrantrum @ Lum Berry
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Alomomola - This thing is literally the WORST thing in the tier. Why isn't this thing OU? Or UU AT LEAST? I mean, it got stalled by a Specs Jellicent + Hitmonlee with Toxic + Wish/Protect. It's so annoying, especially if it has SpDef investment. It's got the bulk of a monster and is the one stop for the physical attackers on the team. Hitmonlee can deal about 60% to it with LO, so try not to get it Knock Off'd.
Ambipom - This stupid monkey gets in the way of getting up Sticky Web. Seriously, you have to sack a mon during the first 3 turns. If it has the moveset of
Fake Out | Return | Knock Off | Low Kick, there's no real counter.

Braviary - If this thing is scarfed, man it can deal damage. Like I said, I added Tyrantrum for Bird spam, however it really is predictable and it can just U-Turn out. The only way to kill this thing is by Sucker Punching with Shiftry and getting Rocks up ASAP.

Moltres - Like Braviary, if this thing's scarfed, there are no switch ins to Hurricane/Air Slash. Again, try to get rocks up and prevent spinning with Jellicent.

*Replacements*

Attachments

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, pretty interesting team you have here. I'm not really a big fan of Tyrantrum and Jellicent but if you can get them to work that's excellent (honestly specs Water Spout Jellicent is one of the few ways to get a Jellicent that isn't a worse Slowking, the other is Taunt).

The first thing i'd like to suggest is that you try a Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee over Gallade. The sheer power of Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick means that it hits even harder than CB Gallade's Close Combat, while being faster and being able to switch moves too. Outside of just hitting harder than Gallade, Hitmonlee also happens to have Mach Punch to snipe Sharpedo in a pinch as well as Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin will help you keep entry hazards off the field to stop Delphox from being worn down too easily, and the lack of entry hazards on your side of the field should keep Jellicent's Water Spout as strong as it can possibly be. You could also try out Choice Band Sawk in this slot if you want. It's very similar to Gallade but has a neutrality to Shadow Sneak, a resistance to Sucker Punch and Pursuit, and either Mold Breaker or Sturdy as an ability, but it loses out on priority and the ability to Rapid Spin. Importables for both below.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 104 HP / 248+ Def Alomomola: 286-339 (57.5 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Close Combat vs. 104 HP / 248+ Def Alomomola: 262-309 (52.7 - 62.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Secondly, i'd consider changing your Shiftry set to a Swords Dance varient. Outside of Moltres who can only be hit safely on the switch and doesn't take Knock Off too well (does 65% minimum and removes its Life Orb/Choice Scarf, painful), Rock Slide isn't really hitting much imo. Meanwhile, Swords Dance will make it that much easier for Shiftry to clean up late game. +2 Shiftry is an absolute monster, and because of its tendency to force switches you'll be finding plenty of opportunities to set it up, especially with Sticky Web on the field. If you can get to +2 with Sticky Web up and things like Cobalion weakened, the game might as well be over tbh lol.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb

Note: a Jolly Nature lets you snipe Hitmonlee with Sucker Punch even outside of Sticky Web

Lastly, i'd suggest using Ice Fang over Dragon Claw on Tyrantrum. Strong Jaw Ice Fang will still be doing a lot to Druddigon (although it doesn't quite OHKO), but the real reason you should be using Ice Fang is so that Tyrantrum can threaten Gligar, who can otherwise safely Defog away both your Sticky Web and your Stealth Rock with nothing to fear against the dinosaur. With Ice Fang however, it'll have to basically sacrifice itself to do so, leaving it in a range where your other Pokemon can easily pick it off, and if Gligar's below 70%/its Eviolite's been Knocked Off, it just dies.

Optional:

A Timid Nature on Jellicent lets it outspeed Cobalion, Virizion, and Delphox under Sticky Web, but this cuts into your power a fair bit.

If you decide to use Hitmonlee, trying out Life Orb Moltres over Delphox might be a solid idea, especially if you feel yourself struggling with Doublade.

Hope i helped!

Hey dude, pretty interesting team you have here. I'm not really a big fan of Tyrantrum and Jellicent but if you can get them to work that's excellent (honestly specs Water Spout Jellicent is one of the few ways to get a Jellicent that isn't a worse Slowking, the other is Taunt).

The first thing i'd like to suggest is that you try a Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee over Gallade. The sheer power of Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick means that it hits even harder than CB Gallade's Close Combat, while being faster and being able to switch moves too. Outside of just hitting harder than Gallade, Hitmonlee also happens to have Mach Punch to snipe Sharpedo in a pinch as well as Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin will help you keep entry hazards off the field to stop Delphox from being worn down too easily, and the lack of entry hazards on your side of the field should keep Jellicent's Water Spout as strong as it can possibly be. You could also try out Choice Band Sawk in this slot if you want. It's very similar to Gallade but has a neutrality to Shadow Sneak, a resistance to Sucker Punch and Pursuit, and either Mold Breaker or Sturdy as an ability, but it loses out on priority and the ability to Rapid Spin. Importables for both below.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 104 HP / 248+ Def Alomomola: 286-339 (57.5 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Close Combat vs. 104 HP / 248+ Def Alomomola: 262-309 (52.7 - 62.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Secondly, i'd consider changing your Shiftry set to a Swords Dance varient. Outside of Moltres who can only be hit safely on the switch and doesn't take Knock Off too well (does 65% minimum and removes its Life Orb/Choice Scarf, painful), Rock Slide isn't really hitting much imo. Meanwhile, Swords Dance will make it that much easier for Shiftry to clean up late game. +2 Shiftry is an absolute monster, and because of its tendency to force switches you'll be finding plenty of opportunities to set it up, especially with Sticky Web on the field. If you can get to +2 with Sticky Web up and things like Cobalion weakened, the game might as well be over tbh lol.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb

Note: a Jolly Nature lets you snipe Hitmonlee with Sucker Punch even outside of Sticky Web

Lastly, i'd suggest using Ice Fang over Dragon Claw on Tyrantrum. Strong Jaw Ice Fang will still be doing a lot to Druddigon (although it doesn't quite OHKO), but the real reason you should be using Ice Fang is so that Tyrantrum can threaten Gligar, who can otherwise safely Defog away both your Sticky Web and your Stealth Rock with nothing to fear against the dinosaur. With Ice Fang however, it'll have to basically sacrifice itself to do so, leaving it in a range where your other Pokemon can easily pick it off, and if Gligar's below 70%/its Eviolite's been Knocked Off, it just dies.

Optional:

A Timid Nature on Jellicent lets it outspeed Cobalion, Virizion, and Delphox under Sticky Web, but this cuts into your power a fair bit.

If you decide to use Hitmonlee, trying out Life Orb Moltres over Delphox might be a solid idea, especially if you feel yourself struggling with Doublade.

Hope i helped!
Hey Molk! I've seen you a lot in the RU RMT and I'm very grateful that you even replied. I do understand that there are a few flaws with this team, so I will take your suggestions while I'm laddering. With that Hitmonlee > Gallade, I think I'm gonna take it. In fact, I used to have Defog Shiftry, but realized that it completely shut down Sticky Web, so I immediately replaced it. Speaking about Shiftry, I think and SD set will be tested.
I will take your advice on Ice Fang > Dragon Claw on Tyrantrum because it can catch Gligar switch ins, if not just catch them off guard because they think they're safe.
I was thinking about running Timid Jellicent for a while now, but Virizion + Cobalion get checked by Delphox and opposing Delphox is handled by mind games with Sucker Punch. I really need Modest for that extra oomf.
Delphox is good for the moment, simply because I can outspeed Sharpedo and OHKO it after it Protects. I will try out LO Moltres and see what works.

Hey man, this is a really cool team that I gave a test run this morning. Not necessarily here for a rate, but just wondering if I can use this team in some videos in about a week or so? Thanks man!

EDIT: I suppose I should give a proper rate

Personally I'd change Tyrantrum to Specsploud as it just hits a lot harder and tbh Tyrantrum didn't feel like it was that much better than Specsploud. Also, you can pressure a lot of special walls with Exploud + Delphox which opens up space for jelli :]

Last edited:
Hey man, this is a really cool team that I gave a test run this morning. Not necessarily here for a rate, but just wondering if I can use this team in some videos in about a week or so? Thanks man!

EDIT: I suppose I should give a proper rate

Personally I'd change Tyrantrum to Specsploud as it just hits a lot harder and tbh Tyrantrum didn't feel like it was that much better than Specsploud. Also, you can pressure a lot of special walls with Exploud + Delphox which opens up space for jelli :]
Hey Geo, thanks for the rate. I'll give it a try with Tyrantrum, but I really need something to set up rocks to pressure the birds from spamming Acro/Brave Bird. Since the Webs don't affect them at all, it'd be hard for me to let something die every time a bird comes in. Also, no worries man! Just link me your YT so I can watch haha :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)