Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also for comments about Galvantula being "not an OU mon", that's terrible logic. If a Pokemon has the tools to get used, then it's an OU mon. I don't think anyone would ever say "Politoed isn't an OU mon".
To be fair, a ton of people tried using this as an argument to get Drizzle banned. But yeah, those were stupid arguments, and the point itself is valid. If Sticky Web makes it good enough to use, it will be an OU mon.

However, with that said, I don't really think Galvy has enough going for it. With the relative ease of hazard clearing this gen, in order for a hazard to be guaranteed a lasting effect on a battle, you need to be able to set it up more than once, or save it for later in the battle. While Galvantula could certainly be a nice suicide lead, that simply will not get the job done nowadays. It's too frail to try and set up again when it is cleared, and if the opponent has any rocks or spikes, it won't be able to even reliably get up Sticky Web once, should it be anything but a lead. While I can definitely seeing it be something a few teams appreciate, and the kind of lower tier Pokemon that could star on a tournament team or something, for general ladder use, I just think it won't be worth the baggage it brings.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd also like to add that Galvantula has favourable matchups against a number of Rapid Spinners as well. Sure trying to deal with Excadrill is no fun, but how many things can?

Smeargle not running a Focus Sash is a dead Smeargle. We'll leave Geomancy to Xerneas.

My Lv. 40 Galvantula can learn Sticky Web via Move Reminder. Granted, it was from the GTS, so it might be an egg move for all I know (forgotten egg moves can be relearned via Move Reminder now).
It can get Sticky Web as soon as it evolves via the Move Relearner. What I've discovered however is that it also gets the move naturally by level up at 65. I wasn't aware that moves were normally accessible from the Move Relearner before they get them by level up.

It can get Sticky Web as soon as it evolves via the Move Relearner. What I've discovered however is that it also gets the move naturally by level up at 65. I wasn't aware that moves were normally accessible from the Move Relearner before they get them by level up.
It's not normally the case, but a bunch of Pokemon have moves set both as a LV1 move and as a high-level move, so they can learn it from the Move Relearner at any time but also learn it naturally on their own.

So obviously Sticky Web is an amazing move, and plenty of Pokemon would appreciate Sticky Web, but I have a question for you all: what kind (note "kind"; not the exact Pokemon, although obviously you can give some examples if you want) of Pokemon would benefit from Sticky Web the most?

Some attributes to consider:
  • Ability to take advantage of the Speed drop effectively (outspeed certain checks, negate Scarf mons, etc.)
  • If they are immune to Sticky Web themselves or not
  • Ability to function without Sticky Web
  • Synergy with the Pokemon that get Sticky Web (mainly Bug-types)
Again, plenty of Pokemon would love Sticky Web, but there are certain Pokemon that go better with Sticky Web than others.

Also... does anyone else consider offense with Sticky Web as sort of its own playstyle? Using an otherwise mediocre Pokemon like Galvantula in OU just for that Sticky Web is pretty interesting, and it definitely plays differently from other offensive teams.

Sweeper megas with middling/decent speed will appreciate Sticky Web the most, as the lack of an item means they need to make the most of their time on the field. Ticking off a few promising newcomers, we have Mega Mawile, Medicham (base 100 isn't shabby at all but now it outspeeds and kills everything), Tyranitar, Gyarados, Gardevoir, Scizor, Heracross, Garchomp, Kangaskhan and Blastoise.

This is the way I prefer to set up sticky web:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
Jolly, 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Atk

~Sticky Web
~Stealth Rock
~Spore
~U-Turn

Simple yet effective. Gets the job done and scouts to let you get a sweeper in safely.

Reactions: DTC
I assembled some niffy calculations. Just a few bench line speeds, what they change to via Sticky Web (all are fully invested), and the base speed to outspeed them (A is completely un-invested, B is fully invested with a neutral nature, C is fully invested with a positive nature).

(all are rounded up if they came out to a decimal, though I can't remember if it actually works like that so the right columns could be lower by one or two)
Base 100 becomes 217 | A 91 | B 60 | C 50.
Base 108 becomes 229 | A 97 | B 66 | C 56.
Base 110 becomes 231 | A 98 | B 67 | C 56
Base 130 becomes 261 | A 113 | B 82 | C 70

The main thing to note is that, on a spider web team (if you're using Galvantula, you better be dedicating the whole team to abusing this) anything above 82 can run a neutral nature and still outspeed 130s, which basically means everything unboosted except a few Megas and scarfers. On paper, some big winners are Lucario (who can still function w/out SW and against scarfers thanks to e-speed), Landy-T, and Hydreigon. The last two in particular are good choices, since they play fine in dittos (the type of game where both teams have the same theme, don't mean the pokemon) thanks to being immune to SW.

However, Galvantula bears a heavy burden (there's also Smeargle, but he's a bit boring since he struggles as anything other than a lead). It doesn't get to take advantage of the Defog buff as it kind of breaks the point (you could use Defog, but it'd be difficult), so RS support is required. You also need something to fight the immune and defogging flyers (though Gal can help out on this front, maybe getting a free turn to set up), and a spin blocker. It'll be interesting to see if Sticky Web teams take the meta by storm, be good but difficult to play, or simply be a niche choice like Trick Room.

I'm looking forward to trying Sticky Web.

One (rightfully) overlooked mechanic I was given room to wonder about while leveling my own Surskit is, does Mist prevent Sticky Web from working? I doubt anyone knows, since Mist hasn't been used seriously ever as far as I know, so I'll probably have to test it myself. But it can't hurt to ask.

The main thing to note is that, on a spider web team (if you're using Galvantula, you better be dedicating the whole team to abusing this)
It will be interesting to see what OU-capable teams that do revolve around Sticky Web emerge. Galvantula being my favourite Pokemon aesthetically (as if the avatar wasn't a clue) makes me like the idea of being able to do this even if it is slightly gimmicky.

One downside to using Galvantula as a lead is that you're specifically choosing Sticky Web over Stealth Rocks as your opening hazard. By the time you switch someone else in to lay the rocks, your opponent has had a chance to react and work to prevent this. Obviously that hardly stops separate Rocks and Spikes users, so the risk isn't great, but then these two hazards have radically different functions since Web isn't a damage-dealer.

I like to think that Drapion could benefit from this, and as my second favourite Pokemon I'd love to be able to get away with using the two together without being laughed at. Drapion gets Earthquake which works nicely for Fire types trying to switch in on Galvantula, though everything else it's likely to carry, including both STABs, are redundant coverage since no Psychic is going to go anywhere near that Bug Buzz, The Poison STAB is even worse (I assume more Drapion sets will run with a second STAB now since it's one of only 4 dark types not weak to Fairy) since the two main threats, Azumarill and Togekiss, are obviously staying far, far away from Thunder. Drapion would appreciate the boost from Sticky Web though since he's base 95 and always runs Jolly.

Just throwing this out there, but a Dugtrio lead completely shuts down Galvantula, since it doesn't get U-turn. Granted, Dugtrio isn't as amazing as it used to be.

Just throwing this out there, but a Dugtrio lead completely shuts down Galvantula, since it doesn't get U-turn. Granted, Dugtrio isn't as amazing as it used to be.
You sure? STAB Bug Buzz is still going to hurt a lot, even hitting neutrally.

Someone tell me how Galvantula can learn this move? Its by breeding with Ariados or something?
It learns it via the move tutor at level 1 (well, as soon as it evolves really, since Joltik doesn't get it), or at level 65.

I assembled some niffy calculations. Just a few bench line speeds, what they change to via Sticky Web (all are fully invested), and the base speed to outspeed them (A is completely un-invested, B is fully invested with a neutral nature, C is fully invested with a positive nature).

(all are rounded up if they came out to a decimal, though I can't remember if it actually works like that so the right columns could be lower by one or two)
Base 100 becomes 217 | A 91 | B 60 | C 50.
Base 108 becomes 229 | A 97 | B 66 | C 56.
Base 110 becomes 231 | A 98 | B 67 | C 56
Base 130 becomes 261 | A 113 | B 82 | C 70

The main thing to note is that, on a spider web team (if you're using Galvantula, you better be dedicating the whole team to abusing this) anything above 82 can run a neutral nature and still outspeed 130s, which basically means everything unboosted except a few Megas and scarfers. On paper, some big winners are Lucario (who can still function w/out SW and against scarfers thanks to e-speed), Landy-T, and Hydreigon. The last two in particular are good choices, since they play fine in dittos (the type of game where both teams have the same theme, don't mean the pokemon) thanks to being immune to SW.

However, Galvantula bears a heavy burden (there's also Smeargle, but he's a bit boring since he struggles as anything other than a lead). It doesn't get to take advantage of the Defog buff as it kind of breaks the point (you could use Defog, but it'd be difficult), so RS support is required. You also need something to fight the immune and defogging flyers (though Gal can help out on this front, maybe getting a free turn to set up), and a spin blocker. It'll be interesting to see if Sticky Web teams take the meta by storm, be good but difficult to play, or simply be a niche choice like Trick Room.

I'm looking forward to trying Sticky Web.
I think Defog still can be used on the same team, since Galvantula doesn't have to be in the lead position -- and if you're using an offensive team alongside the spider, you should be very mindful about when Defog and SW are used.

Basically, I believe defog will require more "finesse" if you will, and is still a good option if your team doesn't synergize with any of the viable spinners. (like mine)

You sure? STAB Bug Buzz is still going to hurt a lot, even hitting neutrally.
Good point, I forgot how hard Bug Buzz can hit. But it still gets the job done, Galvantula isn't going to OHKO and it can't escape with Volt Switch. There are probably better counters, but if it sees a lot of use I think Dugtrio might pop up every now and then. It puts a decent stop to Shuckle too.

I'm planning on using a Shuckle to set up sticky web, then have a Vaporeon with 252HP and wish make sure it can set it up again, if needed. I'm not sure about his whole skill set just yet tho.

Tyranitar and Shuckle guys. Tyranitar is at such a speed tier that he would benefit immensely from a speed boost. Too many sets to count but Assault Vest is proving to be a terrific choice. Sandstorm will boost Shuckles TITANIC defenses and push its SpD to a base 345. It can run Stealth Rock in addition to Sticky Web. With Sturdy you are guaranteed to get both if you decide to use a Custap Berry if you aren't Taunted. But with Rest and a Heal Bell user or a Wish user (any user will get Shuckle back to full) you can come back later to reapply if need be. Knock Off is useful, as is Infestation and Toxic to trap something early with Tyranitar's sand.

Shuckle@Leftovers/Custap Berry
Sturdy
Bold 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Sticky Web
~ Stealth Rock
~ Toxic/Knock Off
~ Rest/Infestation

I'm thinking about running shuckle with 2 wish users and a Tyranitar. In sandstorm his defenses will be retardedly high and he can stall out with toxic to weaken the opponent into KO range for same late game sweepers to come in. Especially considering wish can bring him to full from 1 hp.

I don't have much to breed with but I can at least confirm that Shelmet and Dwebble don't get it as an egg move from Ariados.
Anyway, I feel like Galvantula is getting too much credit here. I feel like Galvantula plays like a suicide lead for setting up Sticky Web, and all suicide leads have become pretty damn useless with the Defog buff, so Masquerain seems like the more useful choice, as it can come in on useful ground/fighting/grass/bug resists with Intimidate multiple times and has Roost to repeatedly set up Sticky Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)