Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that its a terrible first turn move. Using it on the first turn and sacrificing your sticky web user (since there all extremely frail bar shuckle, and there's no reason to use shuckle ever) is just asking it to be cleared away very early on, while their defog or rapid spin user is still extremely healthy. If your going to use it, its better to set up mid or late match when their defog/rapid spin user is weakened or you can keep enough momentum to prevent it from getting a chance to clear sticky web away.

And why is Shuckle being suggested? Yes it got a good move. However its still set up bait to literally anything that is immune to toxic and has reliable recovery moves to keep it alive (rest making it even more of set up bait). Additional it's crippled by taunt and trick and can't get around substitute at all. Shuckle gives up all your momentum in an instant because so many pokemon can comfortable sit in on it.
The best time to use it would probably be Mid-game(or right at the beginning if they don't have a Rapid Spinner for some weird reason), for me it's 1 set up sticky web, and 2 clean-up with Mega chomp or mega tyranitar

LATIOS_

Banned deucer.
So Galvantula and Shuckle are the best options then?
Both seem like nice pokemon.

One has more offense other has sr/knock off/toxic and the like.
Both get Gastro Acid which could be interesting against megas. Galvantula gets Disable too.
My friend, Galvantula is most likely the best user and Leavanny has been confirmed as well to have SW. So Leavanny would work as a suicide lead or a lead sweeper with SW, SD, LB, and Coverage
Shuckle pretty much functions as a lead too with SW. Now we have more reasoning to use Mr. Base 230 Defenses with 5 Base HP. If only Shuckle was blessed with more HP... cri

My friend, Galvantula is most likely the best user and Leavanny has been confirmed as well to have SW. So Leavanny would work as a suicide lead or a lead sweeper with SW, SD, LB, and Coverage
Shuckle pretty much functions as a lead too with SW. Now we have more reasoning to use Mr. Base 230 Defenses with 5 Base HP. If only Shuckle was blessed with more HP... cri
Yep, I if only Shuckle had Blissey's hp

Galvantula and Smeargle are far and away the best Sticky Web users, and you should really only limit yourself to using those two. Realistically, the only thing that Shuckle has over Smeargle is the ability to use an item slot. But since custap berry is not released, Shuckle can not really use its item slot for anything outside of mental herb usefully. Smeargle on the other hand, can prevent you faster leads from working with Magic Coat, remove itself from the field more effectively with Memento / Explosion, sleep the opponent, and be less setup bait (super slow encore bode well at all). So if you want Stealth Rock + Sticky Web, Smeargle is a better choice because it can do soo much more.

Galvantula is the most effective overall though in my opinion. He actually makes for a pretty decent lead considering he can 2HKO Deoxys-D with Life Orb (if you so chose) and can remove itself from the field quickly with Volt Switch. That high 108 speed is really useful as well. Not only does the high speed let Galvantula get Sticky Web up reliably in most lead matchups, but it also allows Galvantula to reset sticky web easily in the mid-game if you weren't brought down to your sash and you Volt Switch'ed out the first turn. Lastly, Compoundeyes Thunder + Bug Buzz are great STAB's to have since they prevent the most defoggers from coming in and removing Sticky Web. Mandibuzz, Lati@s, Skarmory, and Togekiss can not Defog in front of Galvantula since they are hit super-effectively by its STAB's. No other Sticky Web user can do that, and it is a cool trait to have since that means Sticky Web will be more likely to stay down in the early game.

Also if you were really concerned about certain Pokemon from setting up on Galvantula such as Charizard X, Thunder Wave is a good option!

The problem with shuckle is that while it has the durability to set up, it itself has setup-fodder written all over it, though power-split may mitigate this somewhat. Taunt shuts it down completely.
Run encore. Sticky Web as your opponent switches to a set-up user, use Encore on the turn they swords dance or something. Use Infestation to trap the next pokemon they get, and then use the next turn to switch to a solid counter (that they can't double-switch out of).

Sticky Web / Encore / Infestation can gain a surprising amount of momentum rather safely. It is DAMN hard to kill a shuckle, so Encore is quite a safe move. If your opponent switches to a Taunt pokemon, well woop de doo. Shuckle already got Sticky Web off. Switch out and do something else later.

Or use Knock Off to troll the Taunter.

Galvantula and Smeargle are far and away the best Sticky Web users, and you should really only limit yourself to using those two. Realistically, the only thing that Shuckle has over Smeargle is the ability to use an item slot.
Switch shuckle into an attack he can take (and boy, can he take a hit: 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Shuckle in Sand: 44-55 (18 - 22.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery ).

Late game, Shuckle wins a number of wall vs wall fights to PP Stalling with Infestation + Rest. You PP Stall Gliscor, you PP Stall Slowbro (outside of the banned Funbro set). Gliscor Earthquake + Toxic + Sub / Protect doesn't do jack to a Rest Shuckle.

Smeargle has an issue with Espeon. Galvantula doesn't... but Shuckle takes this one step further and becomes a hard counter.

252 SpA Espeon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Shuckle: 63-75 (25.8 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

If Espeon fails to switch out when Shuckle uses Binding Band + Infestation, Espeon dies to switchin -> Infestation -> Rest -> Wait -> Wait -> Knock Off.

Being able to counter Espeon, a premier anti-Sticky Web pokemon is quite a niche above and beyond what Smeargle can do.

Anti-Espeon Sticky Web Shuckle
252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def Calm
Binding Band / Leftovers
------------------------------
Infestation
Rest / Encore
Knock Off / Stealth Rocks
Sticky Web

Rest is needed to beat a number of pokemon with Infestation. Anyone who can't buff up dies to Infestation + Rest. Knock Off / Sticky Web provide huge amounts of utility for the team. Dual Hazards is a thing of course... so I'll give it a mention.

If your opponent has Magic Bounce, just use Infestation on your first turn. If Espeon switches in, you kill Espeon. Otherwise, the opponent's pokemon is trapped and you guarantee a Sticky Web (your opponent can't switch out to Espeon while infested)

I think it's viable first turn move, but late game web is very situational.
In my experience, it is the exact opposite. As a first turn move, Sticky Web will be easily taken care of by Air Balloon Excadrills or Defoggers.

Late in the game, Sticky Web guarantees sweeps. That Alakazam, Keldeo, Mega Lucario, or Charizard X who thought they could stop your Hydreigon / Haxorous really can't at -1 Speed. The ideal time to lay Sticky Web is as soon as you believe your base ~90 speed wallbreaker is ready to sweep the entire opponent's team. Any time before that gives your opponent a bigger opportunity to simply get rid of the sticky web.

The best insurance to keeping Sticky Web on the field is simply not using Sticky Web until you are ready to clean sweep the team. Eventually, your opponent will throw a burn or an attack weaker than a Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball at you. At that time, you switch in Shuckle, set up Sticky Web... and then wreak with your wallbreaker.

Last edited:
There are reasons shuckle is NU, and there are multi-hit moves. If you need to be sure your Galvantula will live a hit give it a focus sash. Shuckle has absolutly no Hp, none whatsoever, its max hp is like 118, or probably less.
The only multi-hit move that can 1HKO all Shuckle is Cloyster's +2 Life Orb Rock Blast.

are bug pokemon immune to sticky web? i couldve swore i sent in a bug pokemon and it didnt get a speed drop. but that was a long time ago and i was drunk at the time.

I've had a bit of fun with a masquerain lead. Give it a focus sash, intimidate, quiver dance, sticky web, baton pass, and bug buzz. If you think you need sticky web, you almost always get it out, but if you don't, you can still baton pass some solid boosts later in the game. Obviously it isn't a great pokemon, but against defensive teams, it is incredibly useful. Not to mention it is often fast enough to baton pass some boosts and set up sticky web later on against slower opponents.

Sticky web is one of those moves that reminds you that you need a pokemon to use rapid spin or defog. Lowering a pokes speed by 50% is a very serious matter that cab cause one to lose a match immediately. Just carry a bulky defogger such as latias , empoleon or skarmory and yu should be fine. When using defog however, you should use pokes that hit very hard. pokes cush as porygon z with adaptability choice specs, mega medicham, darmanitan, thundurus T and any other poke you can think of that hits like a truck. Sticky web is an awesome move, and when the opponent has no means to get rid of it then it can cause you to easily win a match.

Sticky web is one of those moves that reminds you that you need a pokemon to use rapid spin or defog. Lowering a pokes speed by 50% is a very serious matter that cab cause one to lose a match immediately. Just carry a bulky defogger such as latias , empoleon or skarmory and yu should be fine. When using defog however, you should use pokes that hit very hard. pokes cush as porygon z with adaptability choice specs, mega medicham, darmanitan, thundurus T and any other poke you can think of that hits like a truck. Sticky web is an awesome move, and when the opponent has no means to get rid of it then it can cause you to easily win a match.
1st, sticky web only does -1, so its 33%, not 50%
2nd, with the shift to bulkier offense, insane number of fliers/levitators/air balloon holders, a good number of teams couldn't care less SW is on the field
3rd, add things like MHeracross to the list.
4th, I'd like to say I've only lost to a SW user once (well, twice, but it was the same person), because sticky web is not a sure advantage. Hyper offensive teams sure hate it, but since that's not all that popular, you have to get good at reading a team and guessing if SW is worth the turn to set up. A lot of the time, it isn't, and thus, I'd say having a dedicated SW setter isn't worth a spot on my team either.

LATIOS_

Banned deucer.
1st, sticky web only does -1, so its 33%, not 50%
2nd, with the shift to bulkier offense, insane number of fliers/levitators/air balloon holders, a good number of teams couldn't care less SW is on the field
3rd, add things like MHeracross to the list.
4th, I'd like to say I've only lost to a SW user once (well, twice, but it was the same person), because sticky web is not a sure advantage. Hyper offensive teams sure hate it, but since that's not all that popular, you have to get good at reading a team and guessing if SW is worth the turn to set up. A lot of the time, it isn't, and thus, I'd say having a dedicated SW setter isn't worth a spot on my team either.
No. Essentially,
100 divided by 6. Which is 16 r.4. Or we can say around 16% speed lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)