ORAS OU "Stop Stalin, we've gotta start Russian!" A Stall ORAS Team. [Need Help!]

So, I've been doing mostly hyper offense teams lately, and I've never actually done this before. I have, however, used a few good stall pokemon. So, I started with an X/Y or B/W twist of the old DPP defensive core. However, for a surprise factor, instead of doing purely Def/Sp. Def, I balanced them out so that they could take a few hits from both.

But apart for these two, I had no idea what I should do. So I did a little research, and I found out that Heatran was a common addition to many stall teams. As with any good defensive team, I gave it the ability to phaze boosters and taunt slower defensive pokemon.

I continued to look at other RMTs for ideas, and I noticed many people had problems with other stall teams, since it just went to a stallmate. So, I added Moxie Salamence, so that I could set up with a DD or two and wipe out the rest of the team with the Moxie boosts.

Finally, I decided that I wanted to have Pokemon that specialized in that one stat. I looked around for Pokemon that I could specialize. I knew Rotom-W would be a good option, as i had used it many times before. But then, I looked at Mega Sableye. My GOD, those defensive stats. So I decided to use those two to be able to absorb as many hits as possible, and eventually (through calm mind or will-o-wisp) also take blows from the opposite spectrum.

And that's the proccess. Moving on to detail:

Imperial Eagle @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Whirlwind
- Taunt
- Roost
- Spikes
Obviously, my lead. I've been using mostly suicide leads lately-- Froslass on my monotype ice team and Azelf on a random team I wanted to work on more, but disliked. This was my first time in a few years trying a lead that's fit for a stall team. As said before, Skarmory is a spikes lead, and does very well. His EV spread allows him to do surprisingly well even against strong super-effective moves. I chose him over Ferrothorn due to speed to taunt other leads and access to whirlwind. The only problem I have with Skarmory, a common problem in all my Pokemon, is lack of an additional move spot. Too bad I can't give it drill peck or brave bird or something without putting something away.

Catherine The Great (F) @ Eviolite

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
I don't actually use Chansey much. I used to use a "Chansclops" combination as my defensive core in my first decent team, with 252 HP and 252 SpD, but now Chansey can also take a lot of defensive hits with this set. I considered using another mixed tank, but I'my, not sure what I could use, so I just stuck to what I was familiar with. This set doesn't see much action, really, which is a little I disappointing.

Joesph Stalin @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature

- Protect
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Wish
I want really too crazy about Laurel's recommendation to totally switch sets, because I'd never used such an offensive pokemon used defensively. I also didn't really like how Salamence went special-- it seemed a little like a waste of power to me. So I looked across the Internet and found a very similar set on Serebii, which I edited. Salamence, now, is a great counter to Talonflame, Staraptor, and other recoil abusers, since I can use the Wish and Protect combo, along with Intimidate, to abuse the hell out of recoil, and attack when I predict switch-ins. Along with this, I can use Salamence as a Cleric without making Chansey too vulnerable.

Red Army @ Leftovers

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
- Magma Storm
- Roar
- Taunt
- Earth Power
I've never really liked Heatran. It would be great if it were a little faster, but I can't switch the EVs around. I might swap four HP EV for a speed one, in order to outspeed opposing Heatran using the same set... Anyhow, I use Heatran especially as a switch-in to fire types plotting against Skarmory, and lead in with Earth Power. The only time I'm wary about this is when against a Charizard-- in that case, I switch to Rotom-Wash.

Vladimir Putin @ Sablenite

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Power Gem
- Will-O-Wisp
The literal Gem of my team. I chose Sabeleye for a few reasons-- One, I wanted a Mega, and Sableye had always bee one of my favourites, and two, with those defensive stats and Magic Bounce, it can stal like there's no tomorrow. Did I mention the priority from Prankster also carries on to the first turn it was mega-evolved? Magic Bounce might not be Prankster, but since few people use Mega Sableye, I can retain the ability to cripple a strategy, like I did once against a Klefki. Once I get a few Calm Minds up, I can either take a special hit or Will-O-Wisp a physical attacker and continue to boost up until I can sweep their whole team with +6 Power Gem. I used to have Dark Pulse for STAB, but I find Power Gem's coverage on boosting fire of flying types (Volcarona, Talonflame, Dragonite, Salamence) is more important than Raw Power. I have also tried Shadow Ball for a Fairy-Neutral STAB, but it's easy to get totally walled by Chansey or Blissey, which is frustrating once you get to +6.

Red October @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
I chose Rotom-W as my special tank, the opposite of Sableye. I chose it instead of Chansey, since if a physical attacker comes in I can Will-O-Wisp any physical attackers, thus giving me the chance do deal with some, but not all, physical attackers. My scout, switch-in to most things, and more, I use Rotom-W for just about everything. Both Hydro-Pump and Volt Switch are powerful STAB moves that allow me to get rid of threats my team would face, like either of the Charizards. With Sableye, I see most of the actual competition coming from these two. As said before, he's a great switch in for those two.

So, that's my team. Apart for rating-- which I would greatly appreciate-- I'd also like to know what you think about giving Heatran 4 more Speed EVs and switching Dark Pulse for Power Gem.

Спасибо!

Last edited:
cant believe you would name your sableye vladimir putin instead of stalin or lenin... what is wrong w/ you...

in terms of power gem on sableye, its an interesting idea. the loss of stab would worry me, but i encourage you to give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

You dont need DD Mence to beat stall you have a Taunt + Magma Storm Heatran and hazard control, and it's actually really out of place. Don't use power gem on Sableye thats silly, just use Wish Mence.

Changes very little of your team and supports the rest of your team with Wish. I'd probably go with
  • Wish
  • Protect
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Toxic
Make it defensive to help with like Lopunny + Magnezone, i'd run enough speed for Adamant Dragonite, dump the rest in hp first then defense. If that ends up being too much speed investment go for enough to outspeed Adamant Breloom.

I made the changes, which I Really find beneficial. I still need something to beat fairies though, since although Sableye now has a chance, it's risky as hell, so I'm thinking maybe of Replacing Heatran (Which I actually rarely find useful) With Rapid Spin Tentacruel, to get rid of Stealth Rocks (a real threat to my team) and to, with sludge bomb, destroy the fairies.

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)