Storm Chasers (Acre 2057 provisional) Kabutops Rain Team

Scotti

we back.
STORM CHASERS

INTRODUCTION

Hello Smogon welcome to my next RMT Storm Chasers and Ou Rain Team. Well now that X and Y is almost over alot of teams have been using Rain and Sand teams accept for me. Since the discovery of Sharpedo and Feraligatr rain teams have been getting alot of new tools and threats, but you know there are alot of threats out there they have not been used. Kabutops was a very great threat for and on Rain Teams, but with the banning of Drizzle and Swift Swim it has barely been using accept to play against rain team and even then Kingdra has been used more. Now you're wondering why i would ever use Kabutops, well its the same reason you would use Feraligatr on a rain team. It can boost its attack, and my opponent can boost my speed. The ability Weak Armor has alot of untapped potential. Having the ability to come in on a physical move and boost your speed really helps. Its like a shell Smash, but with out the Attack boost and only weakens defense. Having that ability and Swords Dance makes Kabutops a great sweeper. It can come in on a physical attack that it resists or just a move that doesn't do alot a damage either force the opponent out which is pretty easy or take another hit, set up with swords dance and then sweep. Anyway enough chit chat lets move on to the team building, i hope i can use those hide tags the right way.

TEAM
BUILDING

I started out with Politoad and Kabutops, because you know politoad has Drizzle boost water moves Kabutops gets a boost to his water move letting him hit like a truck. The usual you know.

The next is very underrated and needs alot more usage in OU. It proved it could be ou almost every generation, but then BW had to move it down. I still think it need more usage and it should be Ou the amazing Zapdos.

Well since almost all teams need a dragon type i decided on Garchomp, but after some testing i quickly replaced it with Latias thanks to some awesome bulky and the ability to do good against Keldeo, who can sometimes be and annoying. It can also sweep alot of teams with Sub Calm Mind.

Hmm Choice Band Terrakion might be kinda annoying, so i think a pokemon that can defeat Terrakion could be great. Thats when i decided Landorus-T would be great helps thats to its nice bulk and its ok speed allowing me to run a pretty good Choice Scarf set which helps gain momentum and outspeed some pokes at +1.

Now i just need one more poke. Well Kabutops can learn Rapid Spin, but its not supposed to be Spinning, so i decided i really need a Rapid Spinner. Normally i would choose Tentacruel, but for some reason i decided Forretress would be a better thanks to its typing and able to set up multiple entry hazards. Oh just saying don't yell at me since i have counter on my
set.

Okay now onto the Analysis.

LETS TALK

PDrizzle @ Leftovers | Drizzle

252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def | Calm Nature

Scald | Perish Song | Toxic | Ice Beam

• I decided on politoad since this is a rain team, so i needed a rain inducer and since politoad is the only one, i have like no choice lol. Anyway i decided on a SpDef politoad instead of a Physical Defensive, why because this team seems to be able to balance damage between Special Attack and Physical attacks and i really didn't need a Defensive toad when it could have an easier time against special hits. The EV spread is just, so it can take special hits which is all i need it to do beside get the weather up. Though i have been thinking of water gem or choice specs, but i will stay with this for now.
  • I just decided to go with the standard defensive toad moveset. Scald to do some okay damage while giving me the chance to burn my opponent. Which really helps if i predict a TTar switch in, because if i burn it, i will have an easier time winning the weather war, it also makes Latias have an easier time dealing with Pursuit trappers l8tr on in the game. Perish Song is an important move on politoad. It helps by giving a free win condition when my opponent has one pokemon left. Example is when i had my Politoad out against my opponents last pokemon. They would have won, if i didn't get perish song out, since they could beat both my Politoad and Zapdos. All i did was perish song, faint, and then spam roost until i won which really helped me win the game. It also keeps Latias from setting up which i want anything, but that to happen. Toxic is great for defeat setup sweepers who have reliable recovery and boost defenses. It also helps against Ninetales, who can sometimes be trouble some if they have Sunny Day. Ice beam is the last move and it is great for getting rid of Dragons who are so annoying. This just makes it easier against them and it hits grass types also.

Maelstrom @ Leftovers | Pressure

20 Spd / 240 HP / 248 SDef | Calm
Thunderbolt | Roost | Substitute | Toxic

• Next we have one of the most underrated pokemons Zapdos. Zapdos has awesome stats and is very well rounded, though in the end i decided with a SpDef set, because special hits made me take a pretty good amount of damage. I really don't have much to say about Zapdos, so plz let me move on the the moveset and tell you about how awesome this pokemon is.
  • I choose Thunder because this is a Rain Team and Zapdos STAb and Thunder perfect accuracy really does a good amount of damage. Even though it isn't a attacking Zapdos, it still packs a punch, though i might actually run a more offensive set if i feel like it is better. Roost allows Zapdos to not worry so much about Stealth Rocks and allows Zapdos more longetivity. It can even come in on a Choice Specs Boosted Draco Meteor and live, i think even the second Draco Meteor can KO it either. After that second Draco Meteor Zapdos should be able to roost and he will be ok, however if rocks are on the field F latios lol. Though i can use rapid spin, but that comes second lol. Okay Heat Wave has been told to be a wierd choice from everyone i have battled, though i think they are just mad i killed their Scizor, though ir could be either way lol. Finally we have Hp Ice. Hp Ice allows me to hit the Dragons who think they can setup of Zapdos, though it really doesn't do a whole lot about 50% it is still damage lol. I might just go with Sub over Hp Ice.

Wreck! @ Choice Scarf | Intimidate

252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk | Naive
Stone Edge | Earthquake | Hidden Power [Ice] | U-turn

• Next we have Landorus-T the owner of all Terrakions lol. I choose Landorus-T because i need something with and speed and can take physical attacks. Landorus-T made now have the base 100 speed, but it does have ok speed and some really good bulk. He is also a great scout allowing me to learn my opponents sets. With Choice Scarf it still have some speed, so i don't have to worry about getting Outspeed, by everything. The real reason i choose Landorus-T is so i could laugh at Terrakion lol. Anyway onto the moveset analysis lol.
  • Stone Edge is, so i can hit those Flying types in the air who won't get effected, by earthquake. It also does a good chunk to anything that resist Earthquake, but not Stone Edge. Gotta love the critical hits of this move, but F the miss ratio. Earthquake is the main move and it does a ton to anyone who doesn't resist this awesome move. It also helps against steel who don't have levitate and gets rid of TTar and Ninetales which really helps. It also the move i use the most lol. Hp Ice allows me to hit dragon types which really help, mostly against those who aren't hit by Stone Edge for SE. It is kinda like a filler move you can say, and i really don't mind replacing it. Finally there is U-Turn. U-Turn helps my team gain momentum, and can sometimes give my other pokemon a good chance to setup. LOL there not much i can say about Landorus lol.

Hope @ Leftovers | Sturdy

252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk |Bold
Rapid Spin | Volt Switch | Stealth Rock | Toxic Spikes

• You gotta love the picture i choose. Its like forretress can dry your clothe for free in a matter of seconds. Anyway lets get into the Analysis. I was run Max SpDef, so i could even it out, but the opponent was hitting me to hard on the physical side after a boost, so i was like forget that set. Now i am stuck with a physical nature which is alot better than its special defensive set lol. Anyway enough chit chat i want to get over with the analysis as fast as i can lol.
  • Well this second part was long, but my wifi turned off the i copied the whole rmt once i finished and came back. The RMT was up to here, so i just decided to copy and paste it against and guess what They wouldn't let me paste it, so i atleast i can start at this part again, so i am going to kinda rush through the rest of the RMT, and really make it better l8tr. I choose Rapid Spin because i needed something to get rid of entry Hazards for my Zapdos, and they are just annoying to have on my side of the field. Volt Switch allows me to gain momentum which can help in some situations. Stealth Rock it just a good move to ware down my opponent pokemon and make Volc alot easier to handle. Counter allows me to let my opponent get to max attack, so i can kill them with there own power.

JetStream @ Leftovers | Levitate

252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 HP | Timid
Dragon Pulse | Substitute | Roost | Calm Mind

• Latias is more of a late game sweeper, and a wall at the same time. Latias contributes greatly to this team mostly because it is bulky and it is a dragon type. I really don't feel like typing this over again, so this is going to be kinda sloppy. Anyway enough with whatever is going on in my head. I went with Max Speed and Max Hp. Okay lets start the moveset analysis now.
  • Dragon Pulse is my main stab and it allows me to hit the whole metagame for good amount of damage beside steel types. It is also the only attack on this set, because at +6 Latias can do a ton of damage to steel types a +6. Sub is so i can block status move and it helps against Choice Scarf users by allowing me to take a hit and then killing them. I can also hide behind sub when Scizor uses U-Turn. Roost allows me to heal up any damage i have wasted from attacks or Sub and thats the only thing it does lol. Calm Mind the last move of this set and it allows me to sweep easily. I can get up to +6 and have an easy time destroying my opponents team without much trouble. That is why Latias is such and underrated pokemon in the OU metagame.

Storm @ Life Orb | Weak Armor

216 Spd / 252 Atk / 40 HP | Adamant
Aqua Jet | Swords Dance | Waterfall | Stone Edge

• Finally we have Kabutops. What makes Kabutops great is Swords Dance and Weak Armor. Swords Dance gives me and attack boost while Weak Armor allows me to boost my speed when i get hit by a physical attack however there is a draw back. When i get hit by the physical attack my def also gets weaken allowing to get owned by almost all physical attacks. Lets plz move on to the moveset analysis while you guys can wait and do whatever.
  • I choose Aqua Jet since it allows me Priority allowing me to do a little damage before i am about to die or just outspeed other priorities such as Mach Punch, Ice Shard, and Bullet Punch. SD allows me to get a great attack boost allowing me to to sweep my opponents team with some support. With Kabutops great synergy with this team it can come in on an Ice Types move aimed at Zapdos, Landorus-T, or Latias and setup on them if there name isn't Mamoswine. Waterfall is the main STAB and it allows me to hit like a truck under rain with a Mystic Water. Though Lum Berry might be better. Waterfall kills anything that doesn't resist it or has alot of defense after a SD. Stone Edge is the secondary STAB and allows me to hit anything that resist Ston Edge. Stone Edge great attack is awesome and the critical hit ratios though i get made if i miss lol.
CONCLUSION

Well i hope you enjoyed my RMT even though i had to did part of it over again. Plz comment and like my team if you like it, though you have to comment and help me make this better or i would have made this for nothing lol. I would like to thank Ben Gay because he allowed me to test my team against his and give me suggestion. Anyway i hoped you enjoyed my RMT.

Last edited:
this team is very good gastrodon is the only poke in the ou tier threatening this team. You should consider running hp grass instead of hp ice on one of your pokes to deal with gastrodon (since you have 3 pokes with an ice move). Other than gastro i do not have any further suggestions the team is solid i feel that other than gastro this team is very threatening with pokes that are not used in ou. good job with this team :) I really enjoyed rating your team.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Scotti. So I really like this team, mainly because it's very defensive which is my preferred style. However, a few rators have already pointed out a big threat. Gastrodon. Gastrodon beats most of your team, and the only thing that can beat it is CMm Latias, which already has a lot of pressure in taking on Thundurus--T and Keldeo.

My suggestion is that you replace Counter on Forretress with Toxic Spikes. This is going to allow you to easily out stall Gastrodon and other bulky water types. I don't think Counter on Forretress was doing much for your team anyway, since Forretress is going to be hit on the special side (since that's it weaker side obviously).

Next I'd like to change Zapdos. I think it needs some speed to be more effective.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic

The 20 speed EVs allow you to out speed Adamant Breloom and Banded Scizor. I felt that Heat Wave was pretty redundant on a Rain team, so I replaced the set with a Sub Toxic Stalling set.

Also, have you ever considered Feraligatr over Kabutops? It's hitting harder in Torrent range, has better bulk, as well as not weak to Fighting type attacks, like Scarf Keldeo. I mean obviously the team is basrd around Tops so I don't imagine you changing it, but it's just a thought.

Cool team man, I hope I helped in some way.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hey Scotti, nice team as usual! You have really nice synergy defensively and I don't see much that gives you trouble outside of Specs Keldeo but there's not much you can do to fix this without changing around some team members and nobody is truly safe from Specs Keldeo anyways so I think if you instead limit its switch ins through hazards damage you can switch in Latias or Zapdos to a resisted attack and force it out and proceed to set up. Plus I don't think Counter is a really great option so replacing it with Spikes should allow you to deal with Keldeo better and it should allow you to sweep with Kabutops easier later in the match.

Next I would recommend the 20 speed EVs that ShootinStarmie suggested but you should keep your current set. Gastrodon is just asking to get set up on by Latias so it really isnt too much of a threat as it seems on paper. Plus with the Sub Toxic set you have a ton of trouble taking out Scizor and Ferrothorn which are much more common and threatening.

Hope my suggestions helped! Good luck with the team!

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Got the request!

While looking at this team, I found that Kabutops... well, isn't that great.

It isn't the bulkiest thing, and it's essentially outclassed by SD Feraligatr. I don't see why you need Kabutops over Gatr, since Gatr's sheer power is more than enough to make up for the loss of rock-type coverage (and you kind of have LandoT). SD Feraligatr's Superpower hits Ferrothorn and Gastrodon a ton of a lot harder, and using Toxic Spikes on Forrey like ShootingStarmie suggested is great since Latias / Zappy / Gatr are pretty good abusers of TS. The combination of these changes patches up your weaknesses completely imo, since Ferro / Gastro are no longer bothering you and ultimately Gatr performs the same role as Kabutops -- but it can serve as a Keldeo check, Lati@s check, etc. thanks to its immense bulk; whereas Kabutops cannot.

That's it really. I like the team :)

I see MixNite being a problem for your team. It can easily live HP Ice from Zapdos or Landorus-T and destroy them with Outrage/Waterfall/Ice Beam/etc. Therefore, I suggest you replace HP Ice on Zapdos with Toxic to give you an alternative source of status if Politoed is dead or cannot switch in. Having two Toxic users also makes running TSpikes on Forretress not necessary. Many Pokemon in OU who are destroyed by Poison (Latias, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc.) are immune to Toxic Spikes so I prefer using Toxic.

I would agree with the considerations to replace Kabutops with Feraligatr, you are not too weak to Flying-types. Good luck!

Scotti

we back.
Ty for the replies everyone, now i just have to get to everyone lol.

How do you handle gastrodon?
this team is very good gastrodon is the only poke in the ou tier threatening this team. You should consider running hp grass instead of hp ice on one of your pokes to deal with gastrodon (since you have 3 pokes with an ice move). Other than gastro i do not have any further suggestions the team is solid i feel that other than gastro this team is very threatening with pokes that are not used in ou. good job with this team :) I really enjoyed rating your team.
Well i pretty much try to own it with Latias, since latias can spam Calm Mind and Sub to put me in a position to sweep the opposing team. Though Starmies suggestion of using Toxic Spikes also helps with that. Ty for the rate =)

Hi Scotti. So I really like this team, mainly because it's very defensive which is my preferred style. However, a few rators have already pointed out a big threat. Gastrodon. Gastrodon beats most of your team, and the only thing that can beat it is CMm Latias, which already has a lot of pressure in taking on Thundurus--T and Keldeo.

My suggestion is that you replace Counter on Forretress with Toxic Spikes. This is going to allow you to easily out stall Gastrodon and other bulky water types. I don't think Counter on Forretress was doing much for your team anyway, since Forretress is going to be hit on the special side (since that's it weaker side obviously).

Next I'd like to change Zapdos. I think it needs some speed to be more effective.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic

The 20 speed EVs allow you to out speed Adamant Breloom and Banded Scizor. I felt that Heat Wave was pretty redundant on a Rain team, so I replaced the set with a Sub Toxic Stalling set.

Also, have you ever considered Feraligatr over Kabutops? It's hitting harder in Torrent range, has better bulk, as well as not weak to Fighting type attacks, like Scarf Keldeo. I mean obviously the team is basrd around Tops so I don't imagine you changing it, but it's just a thought.

Cool team man, I hope I helped in some way.
Ty for the rate Starmie. Toxic Spikes is probably better than counter lol. I also like the Zapdos set which seems really helpful. Now on the topic of Feraligatr and Kabutops, there are a few things that I found that makes Kabutops better. 1) the ability to raise its speed when it gets hit by a physical attack. With this I can outspeed faster pokemon that normally check Feraligatr. 2) Kabutops can hit harder from the start, so i don't have to worry about missing KO's. 3) I changes Kabutops item to Life Orb, so now i can boost its other STAB allowing me to score more KO's. This is the reason i have Kabutops over Feraligatr. Sometimes the priority is annoying, but i don't mind since i also have Priority and the only priority user the really threatens me are the ones with Mach Punch. Anyway Starmie thanks for the rate =).

Hey Scotti, nice team as usual! You have really nice synergy defensively and I don't see much that gives you trouble outside of Specs Keldeo but there's not much you can do to fix this without changing around some team members and nobody is truly safe from Specs Keldeo anyways so I think if you instead limit its switch ins through hazards damage you can switch in Latias or Zapdos to a resisted attack and force it out and proceed to set up. Plus I don't think Counter is a really great option so replacing it with Spikes should allow you to deal with Keldeo better and it should allow you to sweep with Kabutops easier later in the match.

Next I would recommend the 20 speed EVs that ShootinStarmie suggested but you should keep your current set. Gastrodon is just asking to get set up on by Latias so it really isnt too much of a threat as it seems on paper. Plus with the Sub Toxic set you have a ton of trouble taking out Scizor and Ferrothorn which are much more common and threatening.

Hope my suggestions helped! Good luck with the team!
Ok i am probably going to run Toxic Spikes to defeat Gastrodon easier. Now the part about Ferrothorn and Scizor. Hmm i see your point, I might run Heat Wave over Substitute since it allows me to keep Toxic which i can use to beat bulky special walls like Gastrodon or anything thats hard to kill lol. Ty for the rate Barret =).

Got the request!

While looking at this team, I found that Kabutops... well, isn't that great.

It isn't the bulkiest thing, and it's essentially outclassed by SD Feraligatr. I don't see why you need Kabutops over Gatr, since Gatr's sheer power is more than enough to make up for the loss of rock-type coverage (and you kind of have LandoT). SD Feraligatr's Superpower hits Ferrothorn and Gastrodon a ton of a lot harder, and using Toxic Spikes on Forrey like ShootingStarmie suggested is great since Latias / Zappy / Gatr are pretty good abusers of TS. The combination of these changes patches up your weaknesses completely imo, since Ferro / Gastro are no longer bothering you and ultimately Gatr performs the same role as Kabutops -- but it can serve as a Keldeo check, Lati@s check, etc. thanks to its immense bulk; whereas Kabutops cannot.

That's it really. I like the team :)
Well the reason i run Kabutops is that it hits harder from the start, Can get more KO's than Feraligatr, and it is faster mostly after a Weak Armor boost which allows me to Outspeed most thing in the OU Metagame. It may be frailer than Feraligatr, but in return it provides more speed and more power at the start. Though i am probably going to try out Feraligatr with all the suggestion to try him out. Also Toxic Spikes on Forrey is definite. Ty for the rate Shurtugal =).

I see MixNite being a problem for your team. It can easily live HP Ice from Zapdos or Landorus-T and destroy them with Outrage/Waterfall/Ice Beam/etc. Therefore, I suggest you replace HP Ice on Zapdos with Toxic to give you an alternative source of status if Politoed is dead or cannot switch in. Having two Toxic users also makes running TSpikes on Forretress not necessary. Many Pokemon in OU who are destroyed by Poison (Latias, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc.) are immune to Toxic Spikes so I prefer using Toxic.

I would agree with the considerations to replace Kabutops with Feraligatr, you are not too weak to Flying-types. Good luck!
Toxic is probably going to be used on Zapdos, but Toxic Spikes Forrey seems like it would be good, but i see your point of having soooo many things that can poison my opponent. I am probably going run Toxic Spikes, but if i find it redundant i am probably going to run Spikes over it. I am also going to try Gatr. Ty for the rate Explorer =).

Hi Scotti! Great to see another fun RMT from you! You've really come a long way from earlier this summer when I watched you play through several of my tournaments. You were good then, but now your teams are really starting to impress me with their success and creativity.

I was slightly surprised at first by your specially defensive spread on Politoed, but after thinking it over, you can definitely cover things like Tyranitar with Landorus-T and Forretress, which beat the things that physically defensive Politoed is supposed to do well against anyway. Latias is great on this team; she's an amazing check to sun, which could threaten you, and generally has a good matchup against things that would otherwise be dangerous for your team if you didn't have it.

Someone opined earlier that your Kabutops is "outclassed" by Feraligatr; I, however, strongly disagree. Kabutops is faster and has the potential to boost its speed by switching into physical attacks, gets rock STAB for a very powerful Stone Edge after a boost from SD, and finally has a different set of checks and counters which ultimately leaves it needing less team support (for example, ShootinStarmie's Feraligatr team had a Flying Gem Scizor with Acrobatics to get past Jellicent, which you don't need to worry about nearly as much).

By the way, it's great to see someone making good use of Zapdos in OU. And nice nickname ;) Really does remind me of Pokemon 2000, like your gif.

Anyway, it seems solid and really doesn't need as many changes as most of the teams on this forum, but I'll still give you a few suggestions.

Since you have Volt Switch on your Forretress you're definitely going to want to change its nature to Relaxed and use a 0 IV in speed. This gives you a speed tie with other Forretress and makes sure that if they use Volt Switch, they won't get switch advantage against you every time. The current spread will cost you momentum; even though you're not using Gyro Ball, I'd say the lower speed is definitely worth the slight drawbacks.

For Kabutops, I'd move the rest of its HP EVs into speed, for things like opposing Landorus-T (which can take an Aqua Jet, and is fast enough to hit you before you use Waterfall) and others around the base 70-90 benchmarks.

Finally, Yache Berry Garchomp and other variants (especially those with Substitute) can take an HP Ice and hit back with moves such as Aqua Tail or a boosted Outrage, which will let it get past your Scarf Landorus-T if it's got any prior damage on it. You might want to see if you can free up a moveslot somewhere for a secondary ice-type move - perhaps on Forretress? This suggestion might be redundant, as I don't know how much trouble you've been having with dragons after losing Landorus.

Anyway, hope I've helped! Once again, great team! If you do another RMT two more weeks from now I'll be sure to read that too!
-Starline o/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)