Other Metagames Straight Out of the Swamp [A Monotype Ground Team] (Peaked 1807, #1 on Ladder)

Eyyyyy Uncle Stunny again! (or can I even call myself that anymore?) This is a very innovative team that I used for Core Challenge #50 that managed to peak into the 1800s, and with great gxe (somehow)! The 2 mons required for it were Mega Swampert and Mamoswine. Now before I explain this team, Mega Swampert was definitely a challenge, especially deciding on what set to use. At first I was debating on this really cool Cropert set, then I thought maybe a Rain Ground Team (Tbh it wasn't a bad idea, it's just a weaker Excadrill). After some really eccentric thinking, I thought of this great mixed tank set, with a very nice surprise factor in Dual Coats (it sounds gimmicky, it kinda is, but, it's pretty awesome I can't lie). Throughout the challenge its proven to be very useful from time to time, mostly because no one expects this set at all, and it's usually able to take out 1-2 threats depending. Mamoswine on the other hand I have on almost all my Ground teams, because its amazing. For coring with Mega Pert, it helps a TON vs Grass and Dragon, which for it can be rather difficult. What really frustates me most though is that this team did miles better than my own main team previously did when I ladded with it , sigh lol. Without further ado, here's the team!

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite

Ability: Damp
EVs: 152 HP / 144 SpA / 212 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Counter
- Mirror Coat

Now this may seem like a bit of a gimmick, and honestly, it is, but let me explain this. So the point was to run a Mixed Attacker set, with Hydro Pump landing a 2KO on Skarm, and EQ being a good physical Ground STAB. Now Counter/Mirror Coat, I'll be honest, they were filler, and pretty aye ok ones at that. I can land some surprise kills on threats like Keldeo, Weavile, Kyurem-B, ect, its not too shabby in all fairness, and I like that its different from what you'd expect (actually, no one and their dog would remotely expect this lol).

Mamoswine @ Choice Band

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 112 HP / 216 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

I can't push anymore how amazing it is to have Mamoswine on a Ground Team. I'll run through real quick why that is. First off, the Ice STABS are incredibly useful vs Grass, Dragon, and opposing Ground Teams. Two, Thick Fat is godsent, because it can act as a direct Ice Attack switchin, given it is now resistant. Lastly, Ice Shard! It's amazing priority, it hits so many mons 2x or even 4x the damage! With a Choice Band, its a fantastic Physical Wallbreaker, especially with Superpower, helping vs Rotom, the Normal Core, Steel in general, ect. To get right down to it, this is an amaizng mon, I hate it when people feel they can replace it, its incredibly valuable to have.

Hippowdon @ Eject Button

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

While Rain Ground is a fun concept, I couldn't get rid of my good ol Exca-Hippo core. Hippowdon acts as the general lead for the team, in short. Eject Button may seem strange, but, it can either give Excadrill 1 free-damageless switchin, or let me grab some quick momentum. The set is kinda self explanitory, but the evs give it increased special bulk in general, while preventing it from getting OHKO'd by Mega Gyarados at +1.

Excadrill @ Choice Band

Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor

I honestly tried to make this team not have Excadrill, but he's just so monsterous, I couldn't let him go. 2 Choice Bands on 1 team is a bit strange, but I tend to switch Excadrill into attacks a lot, to go right for a revenge kill (so you can imagine LO would only hinder it). Moveset is also self explanatory, but the reason I run X-Scissor is because, I simply feel I reap more than with Rapid Spin to be honest. It gives me coverage vs Grass, and a way to sweep Psychic easy (especially when the team has both Slowbro and Latios, that's often a very difficult predicting game to get into). This is like a 2nd Physical Wallbreaker, but with a broken ability in short, its flat out gnarly.

Zygarde @ Lum Berry

Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

After all of my laddering, I can safely say this is the MVP of the team. (Shout out to Cell for the set, I love it!) Without a water absorber on this team, you can imagine things were a bit tough versing water--this guy made it a lot easier than I thought he would make it. Thanks to its great defensive typing, and awesome bulk, you can get at least 1 Dragon Dance in, and with Lum Berry, it allows you to set up on annoying mons such as Mew, Rotom, and Mega Sableye! He also acts as my Mega Charizard Y Check (I was originally gonna use Life Orbed Garchomp, a set I actually invented, but, this guy is just too good), which the team would have trouble with dealing with otherwise without it. This guy is so underrated, I may just put it onto my main team, its that outstanding.

Landorus @ Life Orb

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Its been forever since I picked up this guy on a Ground Team, and truthfully I forgot how threatening he was to so many unprepared teams. Earth Power is your hard hitting STAB that just wrecks the living shit out of almost anything. I'm using Psychic over Sludge Wave since 1, I think I have enough Grass Coverage, and Mega Venusaur+Fighting can be quite annoying, so that makes things a hell of a lot easier. Focus Blast helps a bunch with breaking Steel, and just in general being a hard hitting coverage attack. Now usually, I opt for Gravity to wreck Electric and namely Flying, but, the entire team auto wins vs Electric, and we have Mamoswine, Zygarde, and Excadrill showing those birds whose boss, so why not make this a boosting Special Wallbreaker?

Threats
(If its alright since I'm lazy, I'm just gonna snag the 1 from my other RMT and briefly edit it lol)​
Water Teams, especially Swift Swim ones, are extremely challenging to face. Especially with no Mega Garchomp, I lose to this the most. Be sure to save Zygarde and Excadrill for as long as possible (and Hippowdon at that), so you can attempt to sweep as much as possible. In general though, just be really on your toes for that 1.

This mon is just annoying. How I usually deal with it is break it's sash first by means of SR and/or Sandstorm, and have Landorus come in to threaten it.
Combined with unexpected bulk, speed, and a deadly movepull, this can often be a hassle to get around. Your best bet is to either have Excadrill get into it safely and OHKO it, if not, send Zygarde in, get to +1, and hopefully revenge kill it.
This guy on flying can often be excruciating to face if it has already boosted. Usually either Excadrill or Swampert can take care of it if it's only at +1 (since most do not run max speed). Although, you need to be precise on when to use Counter!
Charizard is a mon that I consider a lot a threat that must always be checked on almost all of my teams. Coupled with a good speed tier, threatening offensive attacks (Fire Blast and Solar Beam in particular), and Drought (which deactivates sandstorm), its understandable as to why I'm often scared facing this thing. Zygarde is my only "full proof" check to it, but at the same time, on Fire and Flying it threatens both types, so you can probably get a DDance up while your at it.
The immunity to ground can be pretty annoying, along with the exceptional speed tier, and finicky coverage attacks. Excadrill and Mamoswime however, can usually handle this, just be careful especially if it has Surf.
Kyurem is a challenge, especially predicting its set. If it's scarf, that's typically easy to take care of, since you can quickly send in someone to sponge an attack, and it'll be locked to it. LO however if a different story, and it has the ability to at least 2KO everyone on the team (with the exception of Swampert usually), Exadrill however can check it, and on both types its on it's hard to switch into. On dragon though, it'll usually come in on Mamo to take an ice attack, so be mindful of that.
With a defensive spread, it's hard to 2KO at times, and with an offensive spread, it can easily 2KO Excadrill, it's no wonder why this is so threatening. Excadrill and Zygarde are your best ways of dealing with it, but it's good to note that under sand, Synthesis only heals 1/3 of its HP as opposed to 1/2.

Conclusion
Thanks so much for checking out and rating this team! I know its definitely different, and certainly not typical by any means, but its been very fun to ladder with, and presented to me a very unique challenge that I've always wanted to tackle. I honestly can't get over though how good Zygarde is, seriously why is it not used more often!? Excitement aside, Thanks a bunch! :)

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 152 HP / 144 SpA / 212 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Counter
- Mirror Coat

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 112 HP / 216 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Hippowdon @ Eject Button
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor

Zygarde @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-351226652 Vs Bug
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-351755067 Vs Soma's Dragon Team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-351766711 Vs Arkenciel's Fairy Team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-351775087 Vs Ground (Mega Swampert proves very useful, Zygarde sweeps) (Peak Replay)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-351771484 Vs Grass
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349926990 Vs HO Psychic
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349923520 Vs Fairy
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349892484 Vs Mega Heracross Fighting (for those who really want to see me freak out about making Platinum, also shoutout to Jo' Z for the moral support :_)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349890273 Vs TR Ghost (Hilarious Hax)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349875644 Vs Dark
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349854727 Vs Grass
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349844977 Vs SS Water
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-349833399 Vs Ghost (Shows off surprise factor of Swampert)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-347882135 Vs Psychic
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-347877408 Vs Fire
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-347900571 Vs Ground (Had to post this out of the sheer genius of plays)

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hey, man. Love how ungeneric your team is! I heard your swamp and mamo were needed for the challenge, so I'll suggest around that. Here's a rate:

First of all, I would actually recommend changing Zygarde -> Mega Garchomp. Zygarde just isn't as consistent as garchomp in scaring out threats (such as zard y and LO kyub) and is much stronger. Zygarde gets walled by a plethora of things such as Skarmory, Lando-t, most defensive walls, really. It also requires set up to hit as hard as possible, and still does not hit as hard as you would want it to. It starts off with slow speed making it hard to revenge kill other mons and is just not as beneficial to your team as Chomp would be. Mega chomp gains a huge boost to SpA so it is able to run a more mixed, offensive set that puts in a lot of work vs threats to ground. This set consists of Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Earthquake / Stone Edge. Draco Meteor is chomp's strongest special STAB and hits most physical walls relatively hard. One huge threat to ground, slowbro, takes up to 70 which is extremely helpful.
252 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 235-277 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
Fire Blast is for those annoying skarmory which walls a huge number of your team due to its insane amount of bulk.
252 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 302-356 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO Skarmory nearly gets ohkoed and is guaranteed to die to the unexpected fire blast after if it tries to switch in on rocks. Edgequake is amazing coverage that utilizes its ability sand force (you have a hippo) and hits extremely hard, necessary coverage for megachomp so it is able to hurt mons that are immune to ground, which are on nearly every single monotype team.

The next suggestion is for your excadrill. I recommend changing X-Scissor -> Rapid Spin. X-scissor is not necessary on exca because eq+iron head combined with cb and sand residual is definitely enough to deal damage to most teams. Slowbro gets 2ohkoed after rocks by eq with sand buffer and is only 10% weaker than eq. It really doesn't do much for exca and pretty much wastes a move. That's why I recommend Rapid Spin over it, as rapid spin has its uses. Hazard stacking can actually get extremely annoying for your team as it wittles your mons which could definitely be a huge game changer. Your one ground resist is Landorus so spikes being stacked takes a huge toll on your team as it prevents you from consistently switching in and out.

The final suggestion I have is to change Landorus's Calm Mind -> Sludge Wave. The two things that make landorus as good as it is is its ability sheer force combined with its amazing movepool and how it hits extremely hard at any time. CM is hard to set up as teams either don't have a switch in or have a mon that completely checks Lando. I recommend swave in place of this because of how it changes matchups vs hard types like Grass and potentially fairy due to bd azu and your lack of a water immunity. Sludge Wave + Psychic + Focus Blast completely annihilates grass as they have 0 switch ins and swave also hits azu extremely hard, even if it is under a screen. This is completely essential as azu definitely has sweeping capabilities and grass is a threatening type.
That's all I got, so here are the sets!
Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Choice Band
EVs : 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave
gl!

Last edited:
Hey, man. Love how ungeneric your team is! I heard your swamp and mamo were needed for the challenge, so I'll suggest around that. Here's a rate:

First of all, I would actually recommend changing Zygarde -> Mega Garchomp. Zygarde just isn't as consistent as garchomp in scaring out threats and is much stronger. Zygarde gets walled by a plethora of things such as Skarmory, Lando-t, most defensive walls, really. It also requires set up to hit as hard as possible, and still does not hit as hard as you would want it to. It starts off with slow speed making it hard to revenge kill other mons and is just not as beneficial to your team as Chomp would be. Mega chomp gains a huge boost to SpA so it is able to run a more mixed, offensive set that puts in a lot of work vs threats to ground. This set consists of Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Earthquake / Stone Edge. Draco Meteor is chomp's strongest special STAB and hits most physical walls relatively hard. One huge threat to ground, slowbro, takes up to 70 which is extremely helpful.
252 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 235-277 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
Fire Blast is for those annoying skarmory which walls a huge number of your team due to its insane amount of bulk.
252 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 302-356 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO Skarmory nearly gets ohkoed and is guaranteed to die to the unexpected fire blast after if it tries to switch in on rocks. Edgequake is amazing coverage that utilizes its ability sand force (you have a hippo) and hits extremely hard, necessary coverage for megachomp so it is able to hurt mons that are immune to ground, which are on nearly every single monotype team.

The next suggestion is for your excadrill. I recommend changing X-Scissor -> Rapid Spin. X-scissor is not necessary on exca because eq+iron head combined with cb and sand residual is definitely enough to deal damage to most teams. Slowbro gets 2ohkoed after rocks by eq with sand buffer and is only 10% weaker than eq. It really doesn't do much for exca and pretty much wastes a move. That's why I recommend Rapid Spin over it, as rapid spin has its uses. Hazard stacking can actually get extremely annoying for your team as it wittles your mons which could definitely be a huge game changer. Your one ground resist is Landorus so spikes being stacked takes a huge toll on your team as it prevents you from consistently switching in and out.

The final suggestion I have is to change Landorus's Calm Mind -> Sludge Wave. The two things that make landorus as good as it is is its ability sheer force combined with its amazing movepool and how it hits extremely hard at any time. CM is hard to set up as teams either don't have a switch in or have a mon that completely checks Lando. I recommend swave in place of this because of how it changes matchups vs hard types like Grass and potentially fairy due to bd azu and your lack of a water immunity. Sludge Wave + Psychic + Focus Blast completely annihilates grass as they have 0 switch ins and swave also hits azu extremely hard, even if it is under a screen. This is completely essential as azu definitely has sweeping capabilities and grass is a threatening type.
That's all I got, so here are the sets!
Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Choice Band
EVs : 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave
gl!

Hey thanks so much for the rate! I actually really like the Dual Mega Team idea, I may just try that before the challenge ends tbh. Excadrill I disagree with, because tbh I don't see when I'll use it (when Steel, Grass, and occasionally Flying are the types that use Hazards Stack most, and this team does well against them anyways), so, hitting both Slowbro and Latios while locked in is more important to me. As for the Landorus suggestion, honestly I could to make fairy a bit easier, but, ehh, I like CM as it allows me to wallbreak more (and at times take some special hits). Thanks a bunch tho much appreciated! :)

At first I was debating on this really cool Cropert set, then I thought maybe a Rain Ground Team (Tbh it wasn't a bad idea, it's just a weaker Excadrill)
Smh.
You told me mine was gimmicky.
Anyway, in my eyes, team is fairly good for a Mega Swampert Ground. This Core Challenge gave us something unique and, of course, challenging to build upon, and you seem to have made it work.
I kinda question the threat of Charizard Y with opposing weather teams such as Water and Ground, due to the fact that if you can predict a Solarbeam, swap in your Politoed/Hippowdon. The Special Defence boost also helps in taking the solar beam if you decide to switch out.

Your Zygarde set is pretty good, fairly standard, but good as a physical sweeper. When it comes to myself though, I have always preferred a Coil/Sub Zygarde over the D-dance set. It becomes more of a gimmick, but you can run it with a multitude of items, such as Sitrus, Leftovers, etc, and the substitute can block status just as Lum berry would.

I don't have any time left right now, but I'll get to possibly making a set later.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
I know I've seen you use cm a bit in some of the battles Ive watched of this team but the only thing I could say with the set is that having rockslide would help a bit with zard Y. You would know better than me but I guess im just having a hard time picturing scenarios where cm lando is necessary other than mega sable I guess because the same revenge killers will still be revenging you. And its probs fine keeping cm because mew is a bit annoying since mamo is slowish and doesnt have knock. Zyggy also checks zard Y in a pinch so it's not a huge huge deal and zard's usage is plummeting so thats on ur side as well.

I try not to overanalyze teams like this because it has obviously granted you a lot of success and theres no point in trying to nit pick every set when its obv been working. Gratz on ur peak my man.

P.S. make a VR post about zyg on ground pls. For some reason it isnt ranked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)