Strategy Analysis: TSS teams

this is my first guide, so it's prolly far from perfect =(

<p>How a TSS team works:</p>

<p>TSS stands for Toxic-Spikes-Sandstorm, and the main idea of this team is to whittle the opponent's team down slowly, utilizing the moves listed above. In GSC these teams used to rely on the move sandstorm, but in advance, tyranitar's ability,sandstream, summons a continuous sandstorm, making more room for switch-inducing moves. The idea is to cause the opponent to keep switching after three layers of spikes are down, using moves like roar. Although the 'toxic' in TSS teams are less common now than in GSC, the move really helps as it whittles down HP and casues switching at the same time.</p>

<p>Toxic, Spikes and Sandstorm </p>

<p>Toxic: "badly" poisons the opponent. The first turn, the toxiced pokemon loses 1/16th of its HP, then steadily increases by 1/16 the rest of the time it remains in battle (so on turn two it would do 1/8, turn three it would do 3/16, turn four it would do 1/4, and so on). The damage counter is reset once switched out.</p>

<p>Spikes: Takes away a significant chunk of HP when a pokemon is switched in. Much more effective in advance, because spikes can be laid up to three times; when all layers are down the pokemon loses 25% of HP when a switched in. Spikes can be blown away by rapidspin. The damage done by a layer of spikes are as follows:</p>

<p>1 layer: 1/8, or 12.5%
2 layers: 3/16, or 18.75%
3 layers: 1/4, or 25%</p>

<p>Sandstorm: Cancels the affect of other weather moves; effectiveness of timed recovery moves (like synthesis, moonlight or morning sun) are halved; all pokemon on the field take damage unless they are the ground, rock or steel type. (Sandstorm lasts for 5 turns, but this is irrelevant because sandstream from tyranitar is continuous.) Sandstorm takes effect before leftovers.</p>

<p>Building the Team</p>

<p>Well first and foremost, the most important thing you should consider is the sandstorm itself, because it hurts you as much as it helps you. Not only will YOUR recovery moves like morning-sun or synthesis will be halved, if you don't have enough sandstorm resistant pokemon, you will be hurting as much as the opponent.</p>

<p>That being said, the cornerstone of these teams is Tyranitar. Almost all TSS teams cast tyranitar as the starter, summoning the sandstorm in the early game.</p>

<p>The next crucial member is the spiker. Skarmory fits the role well (like in virtually any team), serving as a physical sponge and phazer in addition to the spiker. The next most common spiker is forretress, which gives up the phazing ability of skarmory for rapidspin. Cloyster is the third choice, but I doubt it will work well in TSS; more on this later.</p>

<p>So far we have two pokemon: Tyranitar and Skarmory/Forretress. Now we need to consider the other four members: At least two other members HAVE to be resistant to sandstorm, automatically making them a rock, ground or steel type. Coupled with the other two pokemon we already have, this presents a gigantic water weakness: So the next thing that we have to add is a special sponge. This can be taken care of easily enough with blissey, regice or snorlax. Sadly none of these are resistant to sandstorm, so leftovers are automatically deactivated (HP gained by lefties is nulled by HP lost to sandstorm).</p>

<p>A rapidspinner is crucial for TSS teams because there will be plenty switching. So the next pokemon you need to consider is the spinner. If you chose forretress as your spiker, this problem is easily taken care off, but if skarmory is your spiker, you need to add a spinner. Starmie fits the job well, being speedy AND offering an offensive special-support.</p>

<p>Recap: Tyranitar, Spiker, Special Sponge and the Spinner. As said earlier, the final two have to be resistant to sandstorm. We also need to have a speedy physical-sweeper to quickly eliminate the rest of the opponent's team once they are whittled down by the spikes and the sandstorm. Flygon fits the bill well, making an excellent choicebander. The final pokemon depends on the rest of the team, really, but I prefer a switch-inducing "annoyer" that can support the rest of the team.</p>

<p>The final team now is: Tyranitar, spiker, special sponge, spinner, physical sweeper, and, in this case, a support pokemon.</p>

<p>Alternatives</p>

<p>Toxic is an option (obviously). Although toxic is far more efficient in GSC, it really helps in these teams. It is also pretty easy to fit in, just use toxic if you can't think of another move that would be of a greater help.</p>

<p>As mentioned before, cloyster hardly fits the bill in these teams. First of all it has a shameful special defense and HP which only increases the special-attack weakness of the team. Second, the other two options, skarm and forretress, in addition to spiking, can double as another essential part of the team, making room for a much needed extra pokemon.</p>

<p>More experienced players will probably add a bulky water type (most likely suicune) as that final pokemon, which aids in phazing, hence causing more switches. Suicune also special tanks as a physical sponge, meaning that while absorbing physical hits like crazy, it can boost up it's special status using calm mind, and TSS teams need the special support. Suicune also has this nifty thing called PRESSURE which slowly depletes opponent's PP. Other alternatives are Jirachi as the final pokemon for pseudopassing wish and healing the rest of the party.</p>

<p>If Blissey is the special sponge, it gives you an edge with aromatherapy, which heps against status anamolies and also giving you a reason to add rest on the other pokemon and increasing the general durability (stallishness) of the team.</p>

<p>The move knock-off is also very very very cool because it cancels the effect of the opponent's leftovers, causing the sandstorm to whittle them down even faster. Pain-In-The-Ass pokemon like suicune and blissey are surprisingly easy to kill without leftovers, but the pokemon that learn the move are rather hard to incorprate into the team (even armaldo).</p>

<p>Other Useful Pokemon</p>

<p>Dusclops. To block opponent rapidspin. Sandstorm really hurts it though, cancelling lefties coupled with already horrid HP. On the plus side, pressure always helps, and with painsplit, Dusclops is surprisingly hardy.</p>

<p>Swampert is also a common sight in TSS, becasue it is a water type resistant to sandstorm. Swampert is also one of TSS' biggest weakness, along with Starmie. So watch out for those.</p>

<p>Donphan. Awesome defense, resistant to sandstorm, nice rapidspinner. Donphan also counters DDtar well and has the ability to phaze, if skarmory doesn't do the trick.</p>

<p>Claydol. Probably one of the most useful pokemon in TSS. With levitate, rapidspin and nice defenses, this one nicely counters DDtar and makes a good switch-in for earthquakers. It also learns icebeam, although your opponent probably expects that.</p>

<p>Steelix. Shitloads of defense, nice resistances, sandstorm resistance and awesome phazer. Makes for a good switch-in on zapdos' thunderbolts.</p>

<p>Quagsire. A dilute swampert with water absorb. Only use when desperate for something immune to water.</p>

<p>Sandslash. <3. It is immune to sandstorm, got nice attack and defense and can rapidspin. It also can learn swordsdance and is severely underestimated. Sandveil is always a plus/<p>

<p>Metagross. Sandstorm resistance, a nice defense, easy switch-in, awesome attack, nice mixed sweeper.</p>

<p>Jirachi. Awesome support pokemon in TSS. Lightscreen is blessing for these teams.</p>

<p>Hariyama. Knock off is always cool. Hari has awesome hp, nice attack and can whirlwind for spikes damage.</p>

<p>Magneton. Immunity to sandstorm, toxic,metalsound, paralysis support, nice special attack and the ability to trap skarmory. These make up for the bad staying power and horrible special defense.</p>

<p>Milotic/Vaporeon. Fit in very nicely with TSS. Vaporeon can batonpass wish and substitute and water absorb is always nice. Milotic has marvelscale to absorb those WoWs, learns hypnosis, can toxic, and is a general pain.</p>

<p>Salamence. DDmence makes a nice sweeper once the team is whittled down. CBmence works too (like always)</p>

<p>Celebi. Can be used to cause switches with leechseed, baton pass calm minds/ swords dances to other pokemon, or as a cleric.</p>

<p>Zapdos/Gengar. Most TSS teams have trouble with water types, and zappy/gar is great for countering them in addition to being a nice special sweepers to clean up endgame messes. Both are immune to spikes as well.</p>

<p>Sandveil</p>

<p> It's worth mentioning for hax's sake that sandveil gives you a +1 evasion in a sandstorm =/ So it's like an automatic brightpowder and might save you.</p>

<p>Other moves that generally help<p>
<p>Yawn- Yawn forces switches. And if opponent doesn't switch, they sleep. It sort of works, but sleep clause diminishes the usefullness.</p>

<p>Leech Seed- Forces switches, and is useful in general. Celebi uses it effectively in tss teams.</p>

<p>Sample Team</p>

<p>Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band ** Melania
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def / 72 Spd / 44 SAtk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Rock Slide
- Thunderbolt</p>

<p>Sandstorm. I double it as the sweeper and bluff a boah, which comes in handy because it causes switches, and FP is switching's best friend.</p>

<p>Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers ** Mrs. Danvers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 72 Atk / 136 Def / 4 Spd / 138 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk</p>

<p>To absorb that sleep, and as a surprise factor. I keep this alive becasue if it goes down, well I am doomed.</p>

<p>Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers ** Diana
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 96 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Drill Peck
- Spikes
- Roar
- Rest</p>

<p>yeah yeah</p>

<p>Starmie @ Leftovers ** Cygnus
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Surf
- Rapid Spin</p>

<p>Spinner. icebeam for pesky 'mences.</p>

<p>Jirachi @ Leftovers ** Lady Macbeth
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave</p>

<p>support. Lightscreen to help team's overall special weakness. Wish heals.</p>

<p>Houndoom (F) @ (no item) ** Medea
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Thief
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp</p>

<p>thief is an awesome move, working like knock-off. Pursuit to aid the switching (like t-tar's focuspunch).</p>

</p>[Note that it's a "sample" team, not an "example" team; this one has a huge swampert/suicune weakness]</p>

Well that's it. I know I'm missing a few stuff.

Donphan and Claydol deserve mentions, obviously. Spinners immune to Sandstream, and Donphan can also Roar if you're not satisfied with Skarmory (or you didn't put Spin on Forretress for some reason). Claydol is good because your team will probably have a lot of DDmence trouble (if it has a Fire move for Skarmory). Starmie just doesn't cut it, with Sandstream it's easily put in the range for a DDed HP Flying KO.

Magneton of course should be an option too. Immune to Toxic AND Sandstream, and dispells enemy Skarmory, who in turn is immune to all three TSS techniques. It just leaves you with the Spikes, which you should always clear up. Magneton with HP Fire also beats Forretress, a feared opponent since it's unaffected by Sandstream and Toxic, spins away your Spikes and whatnot.

Starmie in a TSS team sucks. I prefer Claydol or Donphan.

Blissey is crucial in these teams. Starmie is a important thread in these teams, and...any water Pokemon is a thread.

Armaldo and Quagsire are forgotten :(

Milotic and Vaporeon are useful too.

When using Skarmory, it's advisable to have Magneton with HP:fire or Dugtrio for killing Magneton. (Or Nosepass.)

Also you should probably note that Swampert is a huge TSS counter.

On the mechanical end, you might want to mention that Sandstorm takes effect before Leftovers.

Also, Toxic is good at forcing switches, but if you're going to be doing a lot of phazing, since Toxic only does half as much the first turn you might want to go with Burn. In that case Weezing is a cool pogey, and it pairs really nicely with Steelix, who can use Roar effectively once you've gotten the Spikes down.

You might want to include Cacturne somewhere, since it gets Sandveil and Spikes, although it's more of a novelty than anything.

Starmie is a very, very huge threat to TSS teams, and Blissey will not solve it. :( I don't think Weezing is very good in Sandstream, it really likes Leftovers. You have Skarmory and Claydol anyway, together they should beat Heracross.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I dont understand the thunderbolt on CB tar thing..

Waste of EV's, and a waste of a moveslot that could be hidden power bug.

Have a nice day.

An explanation of Toxic and Spikes mechanics really should be included, and it wouldn't hurt to explain how they work now is different from how they worked in GSC, and why it isn't as effective with Advance mechanics in effect.

^I was gonna do that but i wasn't sure of the the toxic damage-stuff. i mean by how much does it increase? smae with spikes.

yeah tss is dead but it's my fav type of team

-Added missing pokemon (can't believe i forgot fucking claydol) and a few others
-added missing details

i like starmie in tss only becasue it gives me the special attacker in addition to spinning. but yeah no lefties really hurt it.

and on the fake boah thing i use it cause it causes alot of switches and is they know you have a cb w/o a special move, they'll just bring out stuff like weezing but with tb they'll think twice about sending that in. but celebi is a bigger threat i guess.

Armaldo should be added. It gets knock off so it can knock off all the pokemon's leftovers and leave them vulnerable to sandstorm. If I was making a TSS team, I would always have a quagsire. If starmie is a threat, well quagsire would be a good way to stop it. It is ammune to surf and thunderbolt, could take ice beam abuse, and can hit hard with cursed stabbed earthquake.

Nitrous said:
^I was gonna do that but i wasn't sure of the the toxic damage-stuff. i mean by how much does it increase? smae with spikes.
Spikes:
1 layer: 1/8, or 12.5%
2 layers: 3/16, or 18.75%
3 layers: 1/4, or 25%

Toxic damage does 1/16 the first turn and increases by 1/16 each turn. So on turn two it would do 1/8, turn three it would do 3/16, turn four it would do 1/4, and so on.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My 3 year-old TSS team

Tyranitar
Surf for Grounds that my team lacks offense against.
Substitute
Focus Punch
Rock Slide

Cradily
HP Fire
Giga Drain
Toxic
Recover

Quagsire
HP Rock
Earthquake
Toxic
Counter

Magneton
HP Grass
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Metal Sound

Skarmory
Toxic
Whirlwind
Spikes
Protect

Aerodactyl w/ PRESSURE!!!
Substitute
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Protect

After a few Toxic and Whirlwinds and Tyranitar bashing, Aerodactyl sweeps the floor. It can stall pogeys that are poisoned with Sub and Protect and hit hard with Rock Slide. I like Magneton because it gives the electric power necessary to own Water. Hope you like it =d

My example of TSS Team.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Band ** Zabie
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide

Surprised? This is my starter. 329 of speed makes it a fast Pokemon, and with Choice Band its attack is more of 430. Inmune to EQ and T-Bolts, and resistance to Rock Slides and fire attacks. And STABed Earthquakes. HP Bug kills Celebi. Dugtrio is an option over Flygon, is very fast, traps the opponent Pokemon and kills it.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers ** Toshi
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spd
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rest
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Spiker, physical sponge and phazer. No explications. Forretress is an option, but seriously...Skarmory is 10000 better than Forry.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers ** Maestro Arena
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Spd / 188 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

Boah. Brings the sandstorm, destroys Skarmbliss and Substitute stops opponent rapid spinner.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers ** Nash
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 46 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Surf
- Toxic

Milotic owns Swampert and gives the team more protection against water Pokemon. This is the Pokemon with Toxic. Vaporeon is an option over Milotic, and it has Water Absorb, and sexy trait. Suicune is another sexy option, it has pressure and it is phazer. Celebi, Ludicolo, or Venusaur can be useful too.

Claydol @ Leftovers ** Dakkon
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 68 Atk / 108 Def / 96 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Rest

Sexy rapid spinner :). Great defenses and inmunity to EQ, T-Bolt, Rock Slide and fighting attacks. Donphan is another good option, it makes a HUGE damage to Dusclops. Magneton is another option since it traps Skarmory/Forry, destroying it.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers ** Tay Yen
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave / Ice Beam / Tbolt

SPECIAL SPONGE! AROMATHERAPY! Starmie and McGar are two great threads, then, you can use Tbolt or Ice Beam. Tbolt for Starmie. Ice Beam for Dugtrio. You choose.

added (more like copied and pasted) toxic, spikes info.
also i like that cradily =D but that team has a huge breloom weakness =[

I always thought that if you could manipulate a sandstorm to your own advantage, you would be unstoppable until you come up against a team with 6 grounds or w/e. I am sure the best standard team would contain Tyranitar, 100% sure.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 Def / 164 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Taunt

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP (EVs in HP can be relocated elsewhere) / 16 Atk / 16 Def / 4 Spd / 96 SAtk / 136 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Endeavor/Rest
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Magneton @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 60 HP / 12 Def / 184 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass/Fire/Ice]
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Def / 60 Spd
- Drill Peck
- Roar
- Spikes
- Torment

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 Spd / 164 SDef
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash

May also be replaced with CBgross.

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide

Double water weak here, so usually I would replace Dugtrio with Vaporeon for some Wish support. Oh, and Metagross,Tyranitar,Swampert and Magneton might want to consider holding Scope Lens instead of Leftovers for some crazy hax. =D Call me noob but i find that fun sometimes for fun battles.

Y HALO THAR MY NAME IS RAPID SPIN

Not a single one of these "TSS" teams has a counter for it, and imo you can't call it a Toxic Spikes Sandstorm if you can't counter Rapid Spin.

omg looking to this team, i think my first real NB team is a TSS.
TTar start, blisskarm, Jirachi, Claydol, Milotic

it still works

leafgreen386 said:
Y HALO THAR MY NAME IS RAPID SPIN

Not a single one of these "TSS" teams has a counter for it, and imo you can't call it a Toxic Spikes Sandstorm if you can't counter Rapid Spin.
Remember that Substitute counters the effects of Rapid Spin, and usually, we are using Boah. Substitute works well in Skarm too. And we have Dusclops as an option. Gengar is another option, it gives the team a special/mixed sweeper.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
Word of Advice, Remember Starmie learns Rapid Spin and has quite decent speed to outrun BOAH and his subbing. =/

Too bad boah ohko's it with crunch.

Oh, and Blissey/Milotic are both good candidates for special sponges since they both can recover off most shit w/o the need of lefties, and also take status which can otherwise be a nuisance.

starmie switched into skarmory, okay there's not going to be any subbing now is there..and ghosts don't exactly enough taking in stab'd surfs during sandstorm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)