Su(b)perior Battle!

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Laddering just trying to reach a respectable score, I was nearing 1500. I was on an 7-1 streak, and I was feeling virtually unbeatable, little had I known the next time I hit find match would I see a friend of mine; once I saw the name, I knew I was in for a classic match between more than just 2 friends, it was gonna be a battle between 2 warriors. I had brought one of my top teams, one of my teams that has been reliable, and has gotten me through many tough times, the team was:

Colonel M's comments then his team:

KEY:

Rules/Battle Log: Bolded Black
People entering and leaving: Green
Colonel M's Comments: Blue
SoT's comments: Red

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Colonel M sent out Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
SoT sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Colonel M: Oh noes
SoT: lol gl
Colonel M: First darkie, then Aeolus, now you

It is turn number one, and I already can tell I have the upper hand. Sort of. Azelf leads I have nearly nothing to fear. Only Zapdos is really weak to Stealth Rock and at least the rest of the team won't mind it too much. Unfortunately, he is guarunteed to lay it, but I decide to use Pursuit anyway just incase it decides to U-Turn.

Azelf used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Tyranitar used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Azelf lost 100% of its health.
Azelf hung on using its Focus Sash!
The sandstorm rages.
Azelf is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Azelf lost 0% of its health.
SoT's Azelf fainted.
---
Well, Azelf did his job. He got the SR up, and now I know that he's running a CB Tar. I'm guessing that im gonna be up against an offensive team, so I'm gonna send in a pokemon who will force a switch, and see what I'm up against right now...

Well, one down. But I remember in my past battles what would happen next. A Pokemon that at least can resist Pursuit is on the way, and I can simply anticipate the situation. I'm wondering who it will be...

Score: 6 - 5 Colonel M

SoT switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
Illogical has entered the room.
SoT: heh
SoT: that sucks

Not what I wanted really. I don't like facing Lucario, especially THIS early in the match. Granted that I have a few ways to at least stop him (Zapdos, Heatran, Scizor in emergencies), but it is going to get risky on what Lucario is going to do. I consider two options: Swords Dance or Close Combat. Praying, I switch to Zapdos and hope for Close Combat.

Colonel M switched in Zapdos (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Zapdos is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Zapdos.
Zapdos lost 25% of its health.
Lucario used Swords Dance.
Lucario's attack was sharply raised.
The sandstorm rages.
Zapdos is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Zapdos lost 6% of its health.
---
Okay, so I Swords Dance knowing fully that he's switching out to a counter, I wasn't sure as to what kind of Zapdos he had been running, but I figured I'd take a risk, since if I try and play conservaitely I really won't be in this battle for long...

Not good. I could've switched Heatran in, but I was sort of asleep on the wheel and scared out of my wits. Oh dear, I'm sorry that this happened next.

Lucario used Extremespeed.
Zapdos lost 69% of its health.
Colonel M's Zapdos fainted.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
I was right, he was running a LO Zappy, or just a fast Zapdos without much Bulk to it, right now I'm begining to think that I can end this game pretty quickly since what I assumed to be his counter was dead...

The upper hand has suddenly dissapeared, and now SoT will now 3 of my Pokemon compared to his 2. Not good for me that is. I felt stupid for sacrificing Zapdos because it could've helped me later, but now was not the time for remorse. I switch to Heatran to either scare it off or go for the KO.

Score: 5-5 Draw

Colonel M switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.
Thinking hard about this, I had two options: use Earth Power and pray that a Levitating Pokemon doesn't switch in, or use Fire Blast and risk a Heatran switch. I consider a safer option to be Earth Power so I attack the Lucario and hope to kill it.

SoT: how'd you do against them>
SoT: them?*

SoT switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
Heatran used Earth Power.
It's super effective!
Rhyperior lost 43% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Rhyperior's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rhyperior restored 6% of its health.
---
Okay, well He had set up SandStorm for me, and I figured now would be a good time to send in my little buddy here, turns out he didn't Fire Blast, and ends up taking a chunk out of my HP. Not feeling like taking another Earth Power and losing more health, I go to my most trustworthy pokemon..

I catch his Rhyperior. 43% though was what I anticipated, as a lot of them aren't 2HKOed by Earth Power (screw Timid). This means I must switch yet again and hope to God that it doesn't do anything very threatening at me. I consider my options and draw very few straws. It seemed to me that my Rhyperior was the best for the situation, so I switch him in to take the hit.

Colonel M: Won both

^ By the way, I wasn't being cocky about this either. Before I get ragged on about that.

Colonel M switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
Pointed stones dug into Rhyperior.
Rhyperior lost 6% of its health.
SoT switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Rhyperior's attack!
The sandstorm rages.
Salamence is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Salamence lost 6% of its health.
---
Double switch, not sure what set he's running, but I really don't want to let him set up, so I decide to go for straight offense...

I'm guessing that SoT thought I would stay in and attempt to use Earth Power. Silly SoT, of course I'm going to switch. Still, Salamence versus Rhyperior. I'm thinking it will be the usual Dragon Dance version, so I attempt to get ready and use Stone Edge to take him out.

Score: 5-4 Colonel M

Salamence used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Rhyperior lost 53% of its health.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
Rhyperior used Stone Edge.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 84% of its health.
SoT's Salamence fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Okay, that failed horribly, I'm pretty sure that he's running a really bulky set, just not sure how bulky he is. I've weakened him so that he won't be able to switch into very many more attacks, so I figure I'll just scout his team a bit more..

Thank God for Solid Rock! I'm left with a little over 50% and another Pokemon is out of the equation. Unfortunately I am vulnerable to the next switch-in. Not to worry, I'm guessing it will be either Celebi or a Bulky Water-type.

SoT switched in Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune).
Suicune is exerting its pressure!

Figures. I hate Suicune with a passion. Too powerful for my tastes. I must submit to switching to another Pokemon. Well Vaporeon, do your stuff!

Colonel M switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Vaporeon.
Vaporeon lost 12% of its health.
Suicune used Calm Mind.
Suicune's special attack was raised.
Suicune's special defence was raised.
The sandstorm rages.
Suicune is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Suicune lost 6% of its health.
Vaporeon is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Vaporeon lost 6% of its health.
Vaporeon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Vaporeon restored 6% of its health.
---
Knowing fully that he was gonna switch I go to my Suicune, I decide to Calm Mind so I have the upper advantage on the switch.

So I'm thinking what this set will be. I'm hoping it isn't the Sub Calm Mind Suicune, because I have a few issues with this sometimes. Granted, Scizor and Tyranitar can at least survive the Surf, but without Zapdos I'm in a tight situation. Dammnit Colonel, why did you let Zapdos die! I decide to use Toxic to at least cripple Suicune.

Suicune used Calm Mind.
Suicune's special attack was raised.
Suicune's special defence was raised.
Vaporeon used Toxic.
Vaporeon's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Well, I get lucky, I get off another Calm Mind, and he misses with Toxic. I was assured that he was gonna try HP Electricing, so that miss really helps out since my Suicune is Leftoversless...

NOT good. I attempt to Toxic again, hoping that there is no Substitute.

Suicune used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Vaporeon lost 79% of its health.
Suicune lost 10% of its health.
Vaporeon used Toxic.
Suicune was badly poisoned!
The sandstorm rages.
Suicune is hurt by poison!
---
Okay, well I was pretty sure I was gonna get a KO, turns out that didn't go to well, I do however have a +2 Life Orb Cune, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take a few pokemon down with me..

I finally intoxicated the Suicune, but a little too late. Sorry Vaporeon, but it seems that you'll have to be sacrificed to Suicune. You did good by at least preventing him from getting very far.

Suicune used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Vaporeon lost 8% of its health.
Colonel M's Vaporeon fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Suicune lost 12% of its health.
---
Well, I ridded him of his Bulky Water, so I'm pretty sure that I just gave my Rhyperior a much greater chance of sweeping late game. I'm gonna see if I can down a few more pokemon with Suicune, who is just gonna stay in till she's dies..

So I'm left with very few options. Suicune isn't dead yet and I need to act fast. I switch to Tyranitar and pray that he can at least survive the +2 Surf. But its highly unlikely.

Score: 4-4 Draw

Colonel M switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Suicune used Surf.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 88% of its health.
Colonel M's Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Suicune lost 18% of its health.
---
Nice! I ridded him off his Tyranitar, a pokemon who could devistate this team without my Salamence + Lucario. I really don't think he has a way to fully dedal with Life Orb Suicune, so things are looking up for me!

...But thanks to the Sandstorm, Toxic, and Suicune's Life Orb, it is in range of Bullet Punch. Gogo Scizor!

Score: 3-4 SoT

Colonel M switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
It's not very effective...
Suicune lost 3% of its health.
SoT's Suicune fainted.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Boo, I was hoping that I could get another kill in before she's meets her inevitable end. Well, at least I know that he's running a LO Scizor, most likely a SD Roost, but I'm not fully sure of that...

Best... addition... ever!

Score: 3-3 Draw

SoT switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).

Unfortunately if I switch, I risk the Close Combat. *Sigh*. Scizor seems to be the weakest link here, and if SoT is cocky enough to use Swords Dance (unlikely though), I could at least charge with Bullet Punch.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
It's not very effective...
Lucario lost 34% of its health.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.
Lucario used Close Combat.
Scizor lost 68% of its health.
Colonel M's Scizor fainted.
Lucario's defence was lowered.
Lucario's special defence was lowered.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Okay, well I took down his Scizor, a pokemon who can be of trouble for this team, Lucario got a decent chunk taken out of him, so I'm not to sure how much longer he'll be able to stay in the game...

Well, now I'm in real deep trouble. Losing Zapdos was so bad of me. Oh how I still regret it. But then I look closer... SoT is only left with 3 Pokemon. This could still mean that I have a chance to pull this off. I switch Heatran in and use Earth Power, hoping to the great PokeGods in the sky that none of his Pokemon float in the air!

Score: 2-3 SoT

Colonel M switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 46% of its health.
SoT's Lucario fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Sacrifices had to be made, I was hoping he would Fire Blast since he was unsure of my last, but he made the smart choice, and he Earth Powered. It was down to 2 pokemon now, my Rhyperior and Heatran, against his Rhyperior and Heatran. This battle was gonna be close, coming down to a speed tie, I was sure of it...

ARGH! But I feel a little better with this. Or slightly worse. Here coes Rhyperior to screw up the day perhaps?
Score: 2-2 Draw

SoT switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).

Being left with Rhyperior and Heatran, I had to think carefully. If Heatran was down, I still had Rhyperior to back me up against this. I would still survive, and the next Pokemon would hopefully -not- kill me. I'm in a tight spot here, so I decide to use the Earth Power.

It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Rhyperior lost 63% of its health.
SoT's Rhyperior fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
SoT: ...
SoT: wow
Colonel M: Aw sorry
SoT: you probably win now
SoT: =/

Unfortunately...bad things generally happen in the worst of times, this being a prime example. I would of had 20 or less health if I had survived, so I was pretty disappointed, but I still had a chance. It was slim, but I had to try...

And I obtained luck. I feel slightly miserable for winning so unfairly, but to win and have fun is a goal of Pokemon. So I thank the heavens for it and proceed to wonder who Pokemon #6 is...

Score: 2-1 Colonel M

SoT switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
It's super effective!

This basically net me the win. Heatran being seen leaves SoT one option: Earth Power. I allow Heatran to take the blow and have my Rhyperior finish him off.

Heatran lost 75% of its health.
Colonel M's Heatran fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Well, I won what I believe is a speed tie, not sure what set he's running though, but still. I was pretty happy, but I know that I still have to take down one last pokemon, one of his favorites...
Score: 1-1 Draw

Colonel M switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
Pointed stones dug into Rhyperior.
Rhyperior lost 6% of its health.
It's super effective!
Rhyperior lost 42% of its health.
Rhyperior used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 100% of its health.
SoT's Heatran fainted.
Colonel M wins!
---

Disappointed, my Heatran misses the KO by a mere 4%. If only if only, but at last, that Rhyperior was just to bulky for my Heatran to get by, soo close to victory yet soo far. All in all, it was a great battle, and I had a lot of fun, it was the best battle I've had in quite some time over the ladder, and it featured a pokemon who most seem to think is underrated, however it is quite the opposite. He was a beast, and I was unable to get past him.

And so thus ends the game. I'm left with one Pokemon to show it as well, the victor: Su(b)perior... but then again I didn't get to use Substitute for this match. Ah well.
Score: 1-0 Colonel M!

Illogical has left the room.
Colonel M: Not gg
SoT: gg
SoT: lol
SoT: 4%
Colonel M: Cuz I cheated. ;_;
SoT: It's fine
SoT: ^_^
SoT: heh
SoT: gg
Colonel M: gg
Colonel M has left the room.
SoT has left the room.

We give our gg to a good match with only one real hax situation (unfortunately it cost SoT the game). I bet he was slightly irritated, but we both had fun during the match.

PROPS:
- Suicune for devistating his team.
- Lucario for being there when I needed him to.
- Colonel M's Rhyperior for being such a pain, both offensively and Defensively.
- My Heatran for being soo close, yet soo far.
- Colonel M for giving me a great battle!

SLOPS:
- My Rhyperior, got taken out of the game due to an unfortunate crit.
- Salamence, I thought he would do a lot more to his Rhyperior.
- Me for getting ahead of myself, thinking I had won the game too early in.
- Me for giving up to early.

Props:
- Rhyperior, for being such a smexy beast
- Heatran, for the lucky critical.
- Vaporeon, for shutting down Suicune
- Scizor, for at least helping a little bit of the match... right?
- Tyranitar, for the crucial damage support (Sandstorm!). And for helping finish off Suicune.
- SoT, for a great match.

Slops:
- Losing Zapdos early was rather stupid of me.
- Vaporeon, for missing with Toxic. ;_;
- Hax. I know it isn't really a slop, but I just hate it.
- Me, for not thinking sometimes.

Great story, I enjoy warstories that include the thought process of both players. Great battle, great commentaries, what's not to like? =D

Unfortunate about the crit but other than that this game was basically hax-less (unless someone counts Toxic missing as a hax) and I think that's pretty rare on Shoddy (from my experience anyway).

I liked this battle. Cool to see some Rhyperiors in action.

Last few turns were neat. Both players left with the same pokemon. Nice.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't agree with SoT's decision to bring in Lucario > Rhyperior after cb tar's pursuit. With the understanding of ttar being locked into pursuit (and even without, let's face it there is no ttar that can kill rhyperior without something ridiculous like Specs/cb aquatail/surf). If it were me, I definitely would have brought rhyperior in, subbed, and been almost guaranteed to get a kill.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Man, no comments? It's funny that you don't notice your mistakes until you look closely at the log, it's quite interesting.

A good battle, all in all. Hax as been equal in my opinion - probably, if Vaporeon would not have missed, Colonel M would have still retained its Tyranitar and so it would have won even without a critical hit.
The only thing I disliked was seeing my favorite poke wasted that way. Really, losing Zapdos to Luke when you could have switched in Heatran is very sad. Poor thundering bird^^

Spanky would lose to one crit. =P

I thought it was a good battle though, regardless of the hax. I love the team Spanky uses, I actually use it myself sometimes since I helped him make a little bit of it.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really see what you're talking about "hax." You make it seem as if this whole battle was a haxfess, when the only real thing was a toxic miss and then a crit at the end. I still -could- of loss at the end regardless, it would of came down to a speed tie, sure it would of been a bit more interesting, but I believe that overall this battle was a good one. And Chou, it's your play style vs mine, big whoop. We both play different ways, if you don't like my way that's fine; I can't say I really like your way since all he needs to do is bring in Vappy + Scizor and then he keeps his zappy, and I'm now forced to show another mon.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First of all, it was an early game situation where you knew little about his team. For that reason alone, Subtitute setup > Swords Dance, because let's face it:

Sub is one of the best moves for hedging against whatever might come in-- that's the main purpose of making a sub! Especially on a heavy attacker like Rhyperior who can dish out loads to just about anything. You think Scizor or Vappy really want to have to fight a Rhyperior behind a substitute?

Second, Lucario is one of the best late game sweepers around. If he had brought in something that defeats a +2 lucario, you would have either lost the initiative gained through azelf's death (without accomplishing anything) or lost your lucario by trying to go for the sweep on just the 2nd round of play (with knowledge of only a single member of his team!). IMO, a poke like Luke who has no U-Turn and goes straight for the sweep, is not a pokemon I bring out early game unless I have to, as it is most lethal when the enemy doesn't even know you have one.

Hence Rhyperior > Luke for that situation, and besides I said "I can't agree," I didn't say "SoT's stupid" so there's no reason to get fired up.

i actually agree with chou here, seeing as luke generally is better when kept for the lategame, and sub is definately the better choice when you don't know anything about the enemy team, so you can get a kill or two and scout lots of the team rather than try and setup a guy who he probably has plenty of counters for.

Nice story.

And guys, no one is perfect in decision-making, especially in the middle of a battle. And like he said, everyone plays differently.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
No one is perfect, but there are people on the leaderboard and there are those who aren't. Seeing as warstories are the closest things stark mountain does to game reviews, and smogon is a forum about pokemon strategy, I see no harm in opening discussion on decisions made in the story. If that means giving a bit of light criticism, so be it.

Actually, it's these instances where the move in question is not an obvious mistake where even better discussion and more significant improvement can be made.

Anyone can correct a stupid mistake like trying to thunderwave jolteon, but subtle decisions like the timing to set up your swords dance sweeper or your substitute wall breaker is where real improvement is made, and where the difference between "good" and "great" is.

I really enjoyed this battle log, not only because it was well written and featured a great battle, but because I actually got to see Rhyperior in action! I'm trying to get him to work on my team...but sadly no success.

Anyway, great match you two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)