SubCoil Zygarde/VoltTurn

First post on the RMT forums, hoping to get some feedback on this team!

Basically I wanted to construct a team around SubCoil Zygarde, who is criminally underused and underestimated by many. The team ended up having a VoltTurn core that is able to not only bring Zygarde in safely but also forces switches and stacks hazard damage. After some scattered laddering sessions, I've been able to get up to above 1500 ELO (and still going) with this team, but I would love any feedback I can get. Without further ado:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

The main star, the guy I'm attempting to build a team around. SubCoil is absolutely devastating when set up against defensive Pokes, where I can put up a sub reliably due to Zygarde's high base Speed to guard against status, then start setting up Coils. After just a single Coil Zygarde is impressively bulky and able to tank physical hits as if they were nothing, then either EQ for some KOs or phaze out things with Dragon Tail to cause chaos (which is ironic considering this is the Order Pokemon). In many cases against more defensive teams, this Poke ends up being my win condition, and justly so.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Foul Play
- Light Screen

Klefki is able to patch up quite a few holes that can prevent Zygarde from setting up safely, since it has a hard time setting up against offensive teams. Being immune to Draco Meteor and resisting Hyper Voice/Ice Beam is also a huge plus, since those moves cause huge problems for Zygarde. Klefki has two main goals on this team: spread paralysis on offensive Pokes and/or stack hazards. This allows Zygarde to come in more safely on offensive threats as well as having said threats neutered overall. Stacking Spikes also helps in dealing hazard damage through Dragon Tail or the constant switching my Volt-Turn core tends to cause. Foul Play is there so Klefki isn't complete Taunt bait as well as punishing some physical attackers. Finally, the fourth move is honestly filler; after testing both Dazzling Gleam and Torment in this slot, I found Light Screen to be enormously helpful as it neutered many special attackers that I had problems with.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

The first part of the Volt-Turn core to help bring Zygarde in or stack hazard damage through the switches it forces. Mega-Manectric's Intimidate is great at forcing out many physical threats and can help confer switch advantage when Volt Switching. It can also perform offensive roles to help pick up the slack from Zygarde and Klefki. TBolt is offensive STAB, Overheat deals with many Steel-type threats, and HP Ice for coverage. Manectric is great early game to perform hit-and-run attacks, and can do some late game cleaning when everything has been weakened.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Banded Scizor forms the other (primary) part of my VoltTurn core, as it complements Mega-Manectric nicely (as well as Zygarde, as it also resists the same things Klefki does). It is able to come in on many of the things that Manectric Intimidates due to its impressive physical bulk, which completes the VoltTurn core. It is also able to bring Zygarde safely due to its slower U-Turns. Pursuit mainly helps trap Ghosts, the Deo formes, and Lati@s. Bullet Punch is there for STAB priority as well as dealing with Sylveon and Togekiss, who are major problems for Zygarde. Superpower is there for coverage against Tyranitar and Bisharp.

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Since VoltTurn teams are also very weak to hazards themselves, a Rapid Spinner was necessary to get rid of hazards while keeping my own on the opponent's side. I was originally running a more defensive set but found that it wasn't particularly useful in spinning since it had an abnormally hard time dealing with Trevenant. So I'm using a more offensive set that relies on super-effective coverage to deal damage (hence why the EBelt). Hydro Pump and Psyshock for STAB, while Ice Beam nails Trevenant on the switch as well as hitting Dragon, Flying, and Ground types hard. Rapid Spin for obvious reasons.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Air Slash
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Taunt

Tornadus-T is my answer to a few things: Mega Venusaur, who otherwise comfortably walls my team, as well as entry hazard leads and some spinblockers. I initially ran Tornadus-I for its Prankster Taunt, but realized that it wasn't completely necessary as the only things I would need it for were Sableye, Klefki, and Deoxys-S. Air Slash is the answer to the likes of Mega Venusaur and Trevenant, who are comfortably 2HKO'd by the move. Knock Off is for utility as well as nailing Ghosts and Psychics like Trevenant, Aegislash, and Deoxys-D. U-Turn allows me to pivot out when necessary, and it works extremely well with Regenerator as I can regenerate HP lost to Life Orb. Finally, Taunt exists to stop many walls as well as entry hazard leads.

Would appreciate any feedback I can get with this team. Thanks!

Maybe i have another set suggestion for Tornadus-T that you potentially could use, although i dont know if you wanna use it so I am just gonna post it right away.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 92 HP / 192 SAtk / 216 Spd / 8 SDef
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I know Assault looks kinda awkward on him but it works really well and let him switch in much easier on Mega-Venu because it will never be able to 2HKO it and you still have the advantage against both Mega-Venu EV Spreads.

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 92 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 112-133 (34.7 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

92 SpA Tornadus-T Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 180-212 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

It wins against Modest Mega Venu as well as specially defensive Mega Venu:

0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 92 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 84-99 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

192 SpA Tornadus-T Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Venusaur: 134-158 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Also it can check special Aegislash with Heat Wave , which your set could have a problem against. But your tornadus set does works pretty well against Aegis because of Taunt, so this is not a really argument.

It can take Mega Mawile only out if mega mawile switches into Tornadus, as a Play Rough OHKOes this set.
But Mega Mawile is a pretty common switch into Tornadus so the surprise factor is nice to have.
It also takes ferrothorn out, which is good for your team as it cant deal fairly well against it(Correct me if you have something for Ferrothorn and i just didnt see it :P).

Personally for me this set works very well for taking out potential threats, that otherwise Tornadus would not be able to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)