Sticky Sun/Moon Sprite Project

leParagon

I'm still around, don't worry
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
welcome to the project, moawling ! that's a great A. Persian there, but i think the ratio of the body to the head is a bit too big, yknow? plus it still has a neck actually. i think you can capture it better in your sprite :) neck can be seen here:
(i placed it on the exact time frame you need)

try using this as reference: and here's angles of Persian
(this is a different time frame)
you can use that to get a better size ratio for the head and body :)

also there's something else i learned from this project:
persian.png
the lines in the red square are a no-no. if you wanna antialias in that style, it'd work for the sprite better if you did the one in green. or you could omit that antialiased line altogether and just make a solid line. either way works :)

also i noticed the left ear connects to the head in a weird way, maybe it could be tweaked a little?

other than that, great work! i really do like your line work and technique :)

leparagon Thank you so much for your input! It was really helpful! I know that some habits carry over from my own style, so it's good to have someone else keeping an eye out for that.

I shrunk the head a bit and lowered the head's position so it has more of a slouch, like the model. I think that shrinking the head helped a bit with the neck problem, and I also extended the line of the spine/shoulder and the highlight on the "back" sprite to help emphasize the neck.

Couldn't do too much neck-wise to the front sprite because of the combined slouch and perspective, but I added an incline to the posture so I hope that helps a bit :')

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Last edited:
Welcome to the sprite project and Smogon moawling! Glad you joined us.

789.png
789b.png

789s.png
789sb.png

Cosmog. This one was a bit difficult to pull off given that there aren't really many precedents among the official sprites for interstellar matter.

I have a rough Ribombee front and back that I'm waiting to share on Discord for the purposes of seeking help. u__u; The only things formally remaining on my to-do list as of now are Steenee and UB-02 Beauty.

Wobblebuns Primarina when?? ;n; Oricorio Sensu and Tsareena both look great, although I loved the old Tsareena just as much personally. I agree that the back sprite could use some adjustments, but that's lower priority.

leparagon Giant Enemy Crab and Mudsdale QC look spot on, but Ninetales' wispier parts seem like they take up too much space and could be more compact. As for Type: Null, I think that Layell was referring to this.

EDIT: added dithering to Cosmog's cloud hands and retooled the palette

leParagon

talked to axl and pom before, and since axl's really busy, i sprited Kommo-o and Wimpod evo for him, but he'll be making his own version next time once he's less busy
kommo-o.png
wimpod evo.png
Wimpod evo will get a back in a future update

Expansion sprites:
expansion.png
removed one unnecessary color in original sprite and replaced it with the black body tones

pikipek evo update:
pikipek evo.png

torracat new pose:
torracat.png

type null's butt was fixed (i think):
type null.png

EDIT: made Alolan Diglett while i was at school:
alolan diglett.png
it's supposed to be a future DA update but i saw no one made Diglett yet, so i thought i'd upload it here. wanted to make the hair a bit bigger than in the model, but not sure if it looks okay this way or if it'd be better if it were smaller

Last edited:
bewear.png
stufful.png

More Bewear QC to make it cute and fat as well as shiny versions of both of the bears.

comfey.png

An attempt at a 16-colour Comfey shiny swap. I changed the "string" from bright blue to white after seeing that it's pale blue in the in-game model. The face pretty much needs to be its own colour. If this doesn't look good, it might be worth having Comfey break the colour limit, considering that it's pretty much more rainbow than Ho-Oh.

lunala.png

Lunala shiny swap. Split up the blue chest gradient and manipulated the white.

minior_core.png

Some minor Minior QC that I did a few weeks ago. The other colours aren't needed for Showdown unless it's confirmed that they each have different stats or something of that sort.

rowlet.png
litten.png
popplio.png

dartrix.png
torracat.png

brionne_shiny.png
togedemaru_shiny.png
turtonator_shiny.png

fomantis_shiny.png
lurantis_shiny.png

Regular Brionne and Togedemaru updated.

things I'd like to do before the 15th: more shiny sprites for things that don't have them, Cosmog QC, more Mimikyu QC, brushing up Ribombee and Oricorio Pom-Pom if I get the chance, possible regular Minior QC, Steenee back to match my rough Steenee front

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
View attachment 72938

Some minor Minior QC that I did a few weeks ago. The other colours aren't needed for Showdown unless it's confirmed that they each have different stats or something of that sort.
Well, all of the other mons that have formes like Sawsbuck are available to use on PS! and hold no competitive value, so I don't understand this statement

Last edited:
Well, all of the other mons that have formes like Sawsbuck are available to use on PS! and hold no competitive value, so I don't understand this statement
I heard about that feature a while back, but it slipped my mind when I made my post. Not everyone in this project uses Showdown on an equally regular basis or even at all. I'll add the other Minior colours when I can.

One of my biggest pet peeves from the XY Sprite Project was people leaving drive-by posts that were either sometimes uninformed and irrelevant or just petty and passive-aggressive. Granted, I can see how it might be easy to forget on the internet that the people you deal with are actual human beings somewhere, and it's harder to show restraint in response to transgressions than it is to lash out.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because of leaks compiling sprites is beginning NOW

Anything not done will get sprites by much crueler methods (hi picture rips) or if Zarel wants generic sprites

I'll try and do regular updates now.

Because of leaks compiling sprites is beginning NOW
/me enters stress mode

here's this last-minute Magearna edit with the Poké Ball form

magearna.png

Upon Layell's request, I've also updated the chart with the Ultra Beasts' "real" names according to this paste from one of the Orange Islands threads dedicated to the Sun/Moon leaks. Linking it here for convenience's sake, as it contains info (names, stats, typing, move pool, gender ratio, etc.) for all Pokémon as of Gen VII. Obvious spoiler warning for those avoiding leaks.

EDIT: minor changes to Magearna

Last edited:

leParagon

hi guys, i couldnt work too fast today cuz i was too bummed out about Trump winning + i have the flu. only two sets of sprites today cuz i gotta finish two papers and study for an exam

here are Decidueye and Incineroar
Decidueye.png
Incineroar.png
(i'm not sure if Incineroar looks like it's flipping you off or not, so just let me know and i'll change it)

Layell if it's all right with you, once i'm done with my requirements for this week in my classes and have updated wtfcrab, would you be okay if i tried to sprite all the remaining mons on the list that havent been claimed? i think i can get them done in time. then i'll work on some QC on old stuff after i finish the mons. you cool with that or do you have something else in mind?

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Layell if it's all right with you, once i'm done with my requirements for this week in my classes and have updated wtfcrab, would you be okay if i tried to sprite all the remaining mons on the list that havent been claimed?
Go do your madness, but ideally one or two at a time ; )

Then once you are done I might even start dropping people who have reservations longer than two weeks

: U

Sprite update from this post!

Last edited:
I'd love to try my hand at Cosmog-02 and Salandit's evolution if that's okay. I don't think they've been claimed, but just in case anyone's already in the progress of drafting them up, don't wanna get in anyone's way.

moawling "Origami Guy" looks awesome stylistically, although he seems a bit too small (the paste I linked above doesn't include official heights, but if someone has leaked that info elsewhere and he's just super short, ignore me).

Regarding Cosmoem, I was considering spriting it but haven't started yet, so you can go ahead if you'd like to!

View attachment 73096

Revisited my Oricorio pommy wommy wip. This one is much closer to the in-game model, since a kicking pose and long-legged proportions would've been weird for a BW-style sprite

View attachment 73307

Brushed up my Ribombee wip as well. Doesn't really feel like my best effort ;__;

742s.png
742sb.png
grubbin_shiny.png
jangmo-o_shiny.png

charjabug.png

More shiny sprites as promised. Regular Cutiefly, Grubbin, and Jangmo-o updated.

to-do list to help keep me sane: Mimikyu QC, Steenee, UB-02 Beauty, Cosmoem, Marshadow. Most likely, I won't be able to get to all of these before the 15th and will likely prioritize the first two since there are limited references for the others.

princessofmusic Thanks so much for your input! Your work looks great as well! I love the little adjustments that you made.
I was really surprised by the size of Origami Guy, haha. According to the datamines (sorry for spoilers) it's apparently 1 ft tall. I tried to make it the size of the sprites of the other 1'00" pokemon, but if it doesn't work, I'd be happy to fix it.

Feel free to let me know if there's anything that I can do or anything that I can help with!

leParagon

can't make a back for Guzzlord crab UB cuz the video where they show it rotating was taken down :/

i sprited Crabominable's back w/ shiny
crabominal.png
. made shiny for Crabrawler
crabrawler.png
(i changed some of the patchy AA).
i made the Coral's evolution during one of my breaks
coral mon evo.png
calling dibs on Necrozma since i cant finish Guzzlord yet v.v

moawling when you get to sprite Origami dude in another pose, i suggest making it bigger, even though it's actually short :) you don't always have to follow other Pokemon of the same height as reference. sometimes, Pokemon follow height trends based on their body type or grouping (if they're starters, pseudo legends, etc). love your spriting style tho (started watching your pixel art thread too)

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
Has anyone gotten to work on Salandit's Evolution, Salazzle yet?
I currently am working on a front sprite of it for my Pokedex Project on Deviantart because the one I have now is just a make do & so far I have yet to sprite art of it made by anyone else. That & Araquanid.

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
Pikafan2000 I requested to work on Salazzle, but if you already have stuff drawn up, Feel free to go for it!
Well I actually have a sprite made just now. I even made a shiny palette sprite of it.

The sprite itself is a little big & the shiny palette might be a bit off. Plus it doesn't come with any back sprites so you guys probably wont accept this.

Reactions: nv

leParagon

Well I actually have a sprite made just now. I even made a shiny palette sprite of it.

The sprite itself is a little big & the shiny palette might be a bit off. Plus it doesn't come with any back sprites so you guys probably wont accept this.
I think Layell mentioned before that you could just send an application if you wanna post sprites here :) plus yeah, like you said it's too big and doesn't have a backsprite among other things

I know moawling called reservation on it already, so go ahead :) cant wait to see your sprite

leparagon Thank you so much! I love your pixels as well. You've been really helpful with your input and you're so active on the site. I look forward to seeing your work!

Here's what I have for Salazzle! It was weird finding references for the back, if anyone has any images that they might want to link me, I'd definitely appreciate it. Hope what I have so far works for now. I wasn't super sure about the height either, so I made it roughly around the size of Sceptile. As with my other submissions, I'm happy to change the size of the sprite once more information comes out.

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
I think Layell mentioned before that you could just send an application if you wanna post sprites here :) plus yeah, like you said it's too big and doesn't have a backsprite among other things

I know moawling called reservation on it already, so go ahead :) cant wait to see your sprite
Okay then.
Also I kind of forgot to mention seeing nobody else has made a Sprite of Salazzle I had to resort to the image of its 3d model & sprite around it enough until I got what I have here. That would explain the size of the sprite definately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)