VGC Sun RMT

I've been thinking of doing another RMT for a while, and now I actually have the time to do it. Plus, I'm bored. So here's a sun team for both Doubles and VGC for you.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 84 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Obviously, it wouldn't be a sun team without sun, and I chose Mega Charizard Y for the sun setter. Ninetales is nowhere near as effective, and Primal Groudon is banned from both Doubles and VGC. As for the moves, Heat Wave is my main attacking move. It is boosted by the sun, and it hits both opponents. Solar Beam is there to take down Pokemon that Heat Wave won't be able to hit for full damage. Overheat can pretty much take down anything, but I don't really like the minus-two to Special Attack. It reminds me of Draco Meteor on my BW2 OU team's Latios; I just ended up using Dragon Pulse on the Latios. But that's enough of me going off on a tangent. Finally, Protect is Protect. It's there to keep opponent's high-power moves off of Charizard.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge

Speed Boost Blaziken is actually the first team member I picked, even before Charizard. I picked him mainly because of Speed Boost; it's only after I picked him that I realized I was making a sun team. Protect is still Protect, it's still annoying (to the opponent, of course), and it's still a good way to keep the high-power moves away. In addition, it works well with Speed Boost. Flare Blitz works well with Charizard's sun, and the recoil is something I think I can handle. Low Kick is a move that I don't really like while playing through the game, but given the heavier mons in competitive play, I don't mind it here. And finally, Stone Edge is for coverage. If I can't take it down with Flare Blitz and I can't take it down with Low Kick, I take it down with Stone Edge.

Venusaur @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Chlorophyll Venusaur is another mon designed to work well with sun. The reason I picked Wise Glasses as the item is that Life Orb was already in use, and VGC has an item clause. Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain are Venusaur's attacking moves, with the different typing allowing for coverage. Sleep Powder does exactly what it says on the label, taking one (or more, as there is no sleep clause in VGC) of the opponent's mons temporarily out of the battle. Finally, Protect is still Protect.

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Feint

Hitmontop is one of those mons that I wasn't really looking forward to putting on my team. That siad, it is mainly because of how much of a pain it is to get it as opposed to Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan, and not for any competitive reason. Close Combat is Hitmontop's main attacking move, checking some of the mons that can take out Charizard. And nobody (well, nobody except my opponent) likes a dead Charizard. Fake Out can deny an opposing mon a turn. Wide Guard blocks Rock Slide and other such moves, again keeping Charizard alive and in the fight. And finally, Feint cleans out opposing Protects, making that move ever so slightly less annoying.

Cresselia (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 44 SpA / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Psyshock
- Light Screen

Cresselia is absolutely a support mon. That said, she does have a STAB attacking move in Psyshock. Icy Wind is mainly there for cutting opponents' speed and taking down Dragons. Helping Hand gives mons such as Charizard, Blaziken, and Venusaur a power boost, and Light Screen boosts everyone's Special Defense. Well, everyone on my team.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

And finally, we have the odd mon out. Bisharp has Knock Off as his main attack move, which is boosted by the Black Glasses (again because of VGC's item clause) and also eats opposing items. Sucker Punch is there for priority, just in case it's needed. Iron Head is there for when Knock Off would be resisted, and Protect is still Protect.

My strategy for this team would be getting sun up with Charizard and sweeping with Charizard, Blaziken, and Venusaur, with the other three mons there for support.

Hi there PSDuckie, nice team you got here. I know i haven't been doing team rating for a long time, but I have only 2 suggestions, just because most of this is pretty standard. First, you COULD put Focus Sash on Bisharp to deal with frailty, instead of Black Glasses, which i find a weird choice, though quite common. Next, i might suggest putting Venusaurite on Venusaur as a second mega, just because you already have Life Orb on Blaziken, and Venusaur, when not under Sun, loves the extra bulk, power, and resistances of Mega Venusaur; those being Ice and Fire. I would also love some Calculations for the EV spreads you have.
Great Team!

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You completely missed the most basic, fundamental rule of playing Doubles OU and VGC, which is:

You can't just take EV's at level 100 (Doubles OU) and use them on level 50 teams (VGC).

As an example, your Charizard EV's literally don't work at level 50. Those EV's at level 100 outrun Jolly Breloom, and always live an Adamant Kangaskhans Return, to do the same at level 50 it needs a spread of 252 HP / 76 Def / 64 SpA / 116 Spe. Not to mention that a few of the benchmarks that are commonly used are different in the different metas. The same rule applies to almost every single one of your Pokemon, so frankly I think you need to look over each and every single spread you have (not to mention some of them are woefully outdated, like Cresselia and Hitmontop).

You completely missed the most basic, fundamental rule of playing Doubles OU and VGC, which is:
You can't just take EV's at level 100 (Doubles OU) and use them on level 50 teams (VGC).

As an example, your Charizard EV's literally don't work at level 50. Those EV's at level 100 outrun Jolly Breloom, and always live an Adamant Kangaskhans Return, to do the same at level 50 it needs a spread of 252 HP / 76 Def / 64 SpA / 116 Spe. Not to mention that a few of the benchmarks that are commonly used are different in the different metas. The same rule applies to almost every single one of your Pokemon, so frankly I think you need to look over each and every single spread you have (not to mention some of them are woefully outdated, like Cresselia and Hitmontop).
That is a good thing to know. I'm new to playing both forms of Doubles and it probably shows. Thanks for your advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)