Sun Team (i hope i'm able to post this)

After some further team testing, NahimC provided the greater solution for changing Volcarona.
Changes made:
Volcarona's Psychic is now HP Rock
This takes care of dragonites, other volcaronas, gyarados and some other troublesome flying types.

Oh and yeah, don't go on about heatrans anymore. They suck. Seriously. No threat to my team.

The only change i would now consider is a better option for Scizor. I needed something to counter Reuniclus, Blissey, Tyranitar, Hippowdon and politoad at the same time as having a powerful priority attack. Scizor seems to fit here as much as possible but anyone can think of something, do post.

31/1/2012

I've been recently doing some dodgy posts on smogon lately so now i'm going to post something legit. This is a sun team. It is probably the most well put together team by me. Ever.

At a Glance (it's coloured!):
Cloyster
Ninetales
Tangrowth
Volcarona
Claydol
Scizor

Cloyster (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell/Ice Shard

Probably the most used cloyster set used in the B/W metagame. Focus Sash allows it to set up at least one Shell Smash. The Cloyster is a beast after one set up as it boosts its reasonable attack and speed. It also utalises its ability, Skill link for incredible damage destroying every pokemon in 2 turns (bar politoad, ferrothorn and skarm). Razor shell is for the occasional need for STAB water (t-tar but i would switch out on most occations because of the sandstorm it brings)

Ninetales (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Flamethrower
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Bring in the SUN!!! Along with the new abilty it also uses the new item! air balloon prevents it from being hit by (the obvious) Earthquake. or Earthpower?... Anyways with it's high speed, you can force switches by inducing sleep. (best way to kick chansey and blissey off the field temporarily) Flamethrower is the prefered STAB move. it gets boosted from sun as well (yay) and forces ferrothorns to flee for their lives. Solarbeam takes care of Quagsires and Gastrodons which occationally come in to try walling ninetails. Hidden Power is Fighting to only take care of the most common fire counter in ou, Heatran.

Tangrowth (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Seed/Power Whip
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Earthquake

The most reliable sun sweeper I've used due to its reasonable defense, Chlorophyll and Sleep Powder. It also isn't the most expected sweeper because most people would utalise her super high defense to wall or set up leech seed. Bullet seed is put in front of the / as it can break subs and defeat the pesky but yet so adorable gengar after it sets up a swords dance in one turn. Power Whip isn't the most accurate attack but it has higher wreaking power but Gengars would become a bit of a problem. Earthquake hits the fire types and steel types which resist Bullet Seed/Power Whip.

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [rock]
- Bug Buzz

This thing has the most massive devastating abilities in the sun (bar victini and Reshiram) after one quiver dance, it is almost gameover for the opponent after two quiver dances and three, it pretty much is. Fiery Dance is used for STAB and sunboost(also the occational rise in SpAtk). Bug Buzz is for Bug STAB and HP is for everything else that resists bug and fire. Unfortunately, Volcarona is weak to Stealth Rock which is where Claydol comes to play!

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

After some intense testing for a rapid spinner between Starmie, Tentacruel, Forretress, Claydol and Hitmontop, it was finally decided Claydol fits this team the best. It resists Stealth Rock and is immune to toxic spikes and spikes. Also it's a reasonable tank, being able to take three shadow balls from a jolteon or Gengar. I hope i made the right choice. :/

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Aerial Ace
- Bullet Punch

Hey! Look! A vacant spot in my team! I wanted to put something in here that can actually destroy things and has priority as well. It turns out that Scizor and Infernape could fit this position but after some testing, Scizor suited my style more. Super power kills blissey, U-turn destroys all Psychics after Stealth rock. Aerial ace is a filler but it works so IT'S OKAY! Bullet punch was the main reason it was here though so yeah!

That's pretty much my team. My biggest weakness is probalbly my inability to close in on batonpass teams due to the lack of taunt and whirlwind/roar. Rain also becomes a bit of a problem after tangrowth gets a burn from too much Scalding(lol) or when it faints along with ninetales. I still haven't though of a way to deal with baton pass teams so please inform me if you can see where i can fit a fast taunt in my team.

Oh and yes, the pokemon are female where applicable because i have a strange fear for people that assume everyone would leave their pokemon as a male and therefore use a female to use attract. DON'T LAUGH. This is a serious matter.

Please Rate! :)

You team gets wrecked by Heatran offensive, just looking at it. Even neutral hits from Fire Blast are devastating. Also Tangagrowth is also really vulnerable to revenge killing from Mamoswine which which can OHKO with Icicle Crash, or two hit OK with Ice Shard, and priority.

So for Heatran I'd switch Scizor with Infernape again, because Infernape can out speed Tran and net a swift OHKO, which is a big deal. You also can smash Mamoswine while tanking a Ice Shard

Try the standard Mix Attacker set off of Smogon.

Quickattack/ArielAce on Sizor would be better and HiddenPower Rock/Psychic on Volcarano to hit flying types. Hope I helped ;)

I agree with NahimC on Psychic because it doesn't really provide any useful coverage options. You also might want to test Morning Sun and a more bulky EV spread.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I have two small suggestions for your team. First is to use Sunny Day instead of Hypnosis on Ninetales. 60% accuracy is horrible to rely on, and with Tangrowth's Sleep Poweder you don't want to preemptively activate Sleep Clause. Sunny Day gives Ninetales the upper hand on weather sweepers, nullifying Poly and TTar's weather if you use it as they switch in. Furthermore, you can safely fire off SolarBeam. The extra sun turns help with the next point I will make.

Heatran is a bit of an issue, but with more turns of sunlight around, Tangrowth will be faster more turns out if the game, meaning you can smash Heatran with EQ. Second, I would use Hidden Power Rock over Psychic. Psychic doesn't add much coverage since Sun Firey Dance smashes Fighters, whereas Rock let's you hit Heatran neutrally, as well as Gyarados and Dragonite/Mence super effectively, all of which can be troubling.

Heatran isn't a problem. I've never encountered any problems as it is always switched in from nine tails. This is where hypnosis and hiddenpower come to play.
Also Tangrowth has speed doubled in Sun, providing enough speed to use earthquake/sleep powder on Heatran. but thanks for trying guys

I like the hidden power ground idea though on volcarona.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I agree with the Hidden Power Ground for Volca, but you must keep in mind that Dragonite will set up on it easily. I actually suggest a slightly odd choice to replace Scizor. I notice a lack of solid Steel (Scizor isn't solid). I propose a ScarfTran to replace Scizor. The set is as follows (nature is up to you):

Heatran @Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest/Timid
-Overheat
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice
-Solarbeam

This guy is an excellent revenge killer, as this set is highly unexpected. Overheat + Flash Fire + Sun is one of the most devastating attacks in the game, OHKOing even neutral pokes. Earth Power destroys opposing Heatran, Hidden Power Ice allows revenge killing of dragons. Solar Beam hits Water types expecting Overheat. I'd personally suggest using Modest nature because of the much greater power. Hope this helped :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)