Sunken Treasures (A Semi-Irregular OU Rain Team)

So after my year long hiatus I decided to get back into the metagame, but this time I really wanted to incorporate my favorite Pokemon, sableye and regice, into a team. Luckily for me, they have decent synergy-Regice can take punishment in the form of special attacks with his massive base SpD, but his primary weak points are his low base HP and relatively bad typing. This is where sableye comes in, and his dreamworld ability lets him dish out massive annoyances to the enemy team. He covers both as a spinblocker and as a way to cover Regice's fighting weakness. So I had those two cores down, great, but finding a good way to use them both was a bit tricky. Luckily, two weather conditions were right there to help me out with a decision, rain and hail. I decided to start with Rain first as Regice is not released yet with the DW ability. So here's a look at the team composition process.*
Slots 1, 2, & 3: Regice, Sableye, and *Politoed
These three slots have already been explained in the little paragraph above, except with the addition of Politoed as the weather inducer.
Slot 4: Foretress
My first thought was about the SR weakness just due to the ice typing on Regice and in addition, I needed a way of setting up some hazards of my own. F
Slot 5: *Terrakion*
It was evident to me that a beefed up *under the sun could potentially be disastrous for my team, and also, and added resistance to rock type moves also helps with the coverage the team needs. Terrakion is a wonderful revenge killer and helps weed out threats to the rest of the team.
Slot 6: Tornadus-T
Now I left before these new forms were even released yet, so I can't safely judge their effectiveness; however, due to scouting around, people seem to see it as a threat, and as I needed an equivalent special attacking beast to terrakion, I decided to try him out.

As I already somewhat explained the purpose of adding the Pokemon to the team, I'll list the detailed looks at the Pokemon and how they synergize with best.

Politoed
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
*~Scald
*~Toxic
*~Protect
*~Perish Song
Evs: 252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
I decided to go with a defensive/phazer Politoed as without it, my team could potentially be set up against and swept with a few boosts. My team was also lacking in a sure fire way to get toxic off, as I may not always be able to set up 2 rows of toxic spikes every round. It's just a standard Politoed at its core though, so not so interesting.
He works well with both Forretress and Regice as he both covers their fire weakness and starts up a rainstorm to weaken fire even more.

Sableye
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
Moveset:
*~Taunt
*~Recover
*~Will-o-wisp
*~Foul Play
Evs:*252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Here's a set that I love running with Sableye, the sheer annoyance he can cause to enemy teams is great. He synergizes well with both terrakion and Regice, as he covers the fighting weakness.

Regice
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Modest
Item: Chesto Berry
Moveset:
*~Rest
*~Thunder Wave
*~Thunder
*~Ice Beam
Evs: 252 Hp/192 Def/64 SpA
It's a common Chesto/Resto set on Regice with the BoltBeam combo, except I replaced Thunderbolt with thunder due to the increased accuracy in the rain. If you have any other sets that might be useful in the rain, feel free to share.

Terrakion
Ability: Justified
Nature: jolly
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:
*~Close Combat
*~X-scissor
*~Stone Edge
*~Sacred Sword
Evs: 4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed
As stated before, Terrakion is my revenge killer, so I needed him to be as fast as possible which is why I decided to go with a scarfed variant. He covers a good amount of Pokemon that would otherwise be problematic. Same deal with Regice, any better sets feel free to share.

Tornadus-T
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Timid
Item: Choice Specs
Moveset:
*~ Hurricane
*~ U-turn
*~ Hidden Power (Ice)
*~ Focus Blast
Evs: 4 Hp/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
For Tornadus, I'm still unsure about how to use his new form correctly in the rain, I assume it's similar as before. If any other Pokemon would be better suited in his place, feel free to give suggestions.

Forretress
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Relaxed
Moveset:
*~ Toxic Spikes
*~Stealth Rock
*~Rapid Spin
*~Gyro Ball
Evs: 252 HP/ 176 Def/ 80 SpD
Just another standard entry hazard setter/destroyer. Standard build and everything.

So, that's it. Please give any suggestions/criticisms/help below. I would be willing to remake the team completely as well, I just wanted to have a way to utilize my two favorite Pokemon. Also, forgive me for the seemingly low-quality, typed this entire thing on my phone lol.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Relovan

Strong team you've built here, I also love the images you selected for each Pokemon, especially the one for Terrakion. Now, I understand you wanted to incorporate one of your favorite Pokemon , Regice, into a team but he is not the most viable OU Pokemon with his poor defensive typing and being outclassed by other choices. Ice is a bad typing to have, especially for a defensive Pokemon as it opens up several common weaknesses to Fighting, Fire, and Steel, a weakness to Stealth Rock, and just one resistance. The only Pokemon in OU with Ice typing is Mamoswine and he helps to buffer it a bit with a secondary Ground typing that makes him neutral to Rock. If you opt to make this team more competitive, I suggest replacing Regice with a Defensive Porygon2 with a moveset of Recover / Toxic / Thunder / Ice Beam. With the Eviolite item attached, Porygon2 gains skyhigh Defense and Special Defense stats, making the duck a great mixed wall. With an EV spread of 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef with a Bold nature, Porygon2 can survive even a +1 Outrage from Life Orb Haxorus and avoid a 2HKO from Salamence's Draco Meteor. Trace is a great ability on Porygon2 as it copies the opponent' ability as your own. This is very useful in multiple scenarios. Switch in on a Pokemon with Intimidate to drop their own attack, switch in on Heatran or Jellicent to gain either Flash Fire or Water Absorb respectively and effectively counter these threats. You can also come in on Dragonite to gain the Multiscale ability, making you even harder to take out and if your statused just Trace the Natural Cure ability. Recover provides more reliable recovery on Porygon2 than did Rest on Regice. Thunder/Ice Beam provides the same BoltBeam coverage while Toxic is used over Thunder Wave to wear down opposing walls as you already have a great 30% paralysis chance in Thunder to slow down speedier threats.

Just a small nitpick, but place the 4 HP EVs on Terrakion and Tornadus-T into Special Defense. Without the 4 HP EVs, both these Pokemon will have odd HP numbers, giving them the maximum number of switch ins into Stealth Rock. Placing the EVs into Special Defense means that Terrakion's Defense stat will be lower than it's Special Defense stat. This is beneficial so that Download users, the majority of which are Special Attackers, will receive a useless Attack boost.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Recover
-Toxic
-Thunder
-Ice Beam

tl;dr
Regice ----> Standard Defensive Porygon2
4 HP EVs on Terrakion and Tornauds-T ----> 4 Special Defense EVs

Hi I think you should change Tornadus-T to Life Orb since it can regenerate all its HP back from LO damage and switch moves and whatnot like what if Heatran switches into a hurricane you can go for Focus Blast right after and stuff and I guess that's it.

actually another thing could possibly be to change Toxic Spikes on Forretress to Spikes because Amoonguss is kinda common and it sucks up Toxic Spikes like a vacuum cleaner sucks up dust. Spikes helps against Amoonguss especially because it doesn't gain much health back from Renegerator if it keeps switching into spikes and i guess thats it for my rate good luck and stuff keep it hot

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey there!

You've got a pretty nice team- adding Novaray's suggestion would definitely help you wall better, so I support the idea of Porygon2. Your team looks pretty solid otherwise, there's just one suggestion I would make- switch Foul Play on Sableye with Rain Dance. This allows you to have a back up for your Rain, and an immediate one too. Foul Play is not doing much damage, especially after you burn the opponent. Terrakion also needs Quick Attack instead of Sacred Sword; so you have a great form of priority. I also think Forretress needs regular Spikes instead of Toxic Spikes; you have Politoed and Porygon2 to spread Toxic. Also, having Toxic Spikes would clash with Sableye's Wil-o-wisp.

Solid team, great job!

Hey, nice team. First off, I suggest using Superpower > Focus Blast on Tornadus-T. This will help KO Tyranitar which will help keep Rain up for you. It can also hit the Pink Blobs (Chansey/Blissey), who otherwise don't mind taking Special Attacks. I also suggest going with Earthquake > Sacred Sword on Terrakion. Earthquake will guarantee a 2HKO on Specially Defensive Jirachi, who is probably the best counter to Tornadus-T. Eliminating these threats make it very easy for Tornadus-T to grab OHKO's all over the place with STAB Hurricane and possibly cause confusion. You should also consider trying out Life Orb over Choice Specs and see which works best on Tornadus-T just so you are able to be able to switch moves and use Superpower when a counter to take the Hurricane comes in. Hope I helped.

So, I'm going to go ahead and replace the specs on tornadus with a life orb and Superpower instead of focus blast. I'll switch over those couple EV's that were placed in Hp when it was unneeded. I decided to go with your suggestions and change toxic spikes to regular spikes on forretress. Finally, I'm still unsure about switching regi with Porygon, I mean, don't get me wrong I completely understand the viability of Porygon when compared to regi, but setting out with this team I wanted a way to incorporate both Sableye and Regice. However, I am going to test both side-by-side and decide which one I just enjoy to play more. Thanks for all the tips guys! Oh, and I'm also switching Foul Play with either night shade or rain dance, i'm undecided as if Sableye were taunted by some means it would be unable to do anything. As for Terrakion, I'll try out quick attack and EQ to figure out which one I enjoy more on him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)