Sunrise Serenade - A rather shitty first time sun-based RMT

Hey guys, AleeT here with another weather team. This team is in its infant stages so far, and I am convinced it can be a lot better. It has worked decently in the ladder, but has faltered in some scenarios. The team is a offensive sun team with countering the ever-present rain teams running rampant in the current meta.

The inspiration for this team came from Gothielle, whom I pegged as a candidate who could end weather wars rather abruptly by trapping and killing Politoed, which usually would win the game for me.

Without further adieu, here's the team.

The Team

Ninetales @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Psyshock
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ninetales is my obligatory weather setter, setting up the sun needed for the team. I'm running a sun team because im sick of rain. All those motherfucking Politoeds running around with that anal smirk on their face, with their fuckbuddies keldeo and fuckerthorn makes my blood boil. Choice Scarf is an interesting item, which allows me to catch a lot of shit offguard, allowing me to revenge kill unboosted dragons, donphans, steels etc. Alot of people don't like leaving their weather setter in, but it is a pretty decent lure imo. EV's are standard sweeper.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SAtk / 52 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Specs Goth is my trapper, and it does its job. It has decent bulk, allowing it to take shit like cb scizor bullet punch with ease. If I sac a pokemon, or predict a
Toed lead, it can come in and severely dent the motherfucker. Specs Goth will always 2hko politoed, but can get 2hko by the stronger hitting variants. However it usually puts toed in a pursuitable position, allowing me to win weather wars. Specs Goth also traps shit like scizor and thorn, and ohkos with hp fire. 52 Speed Ev allow me to outspeed bulkier 4 spd toed variants.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Venusaur is my premier sweeper, ohko-ing the majority of the metagame after one growth boost, and everything after two. Except Heatran. Fuck Heatran.
I can often come in on jellicents and other bulky waters set up growth, and sweep entire teams. This thing is a monster under sun. The EVs are standard, while the IVs minimize foul play damage.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Landorus-T serves as my bulky pivot, and my rocks setter. He usually comes in on strong physical attackers and walls them with intimidate, setting up rocks, or dishing some damage. He's a necessary defensive presence on this team, that outside the pseudo-defensive snorlax, lacks much defensive presence. Could be replaceable i guess.

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Return

CB snorlax is great. He walls any ice and fire moves that is dished out, and can threaten with a variety of powerful moves, as well as pursuit trapping. He often comes in on post-draco Lati@s and revenges with pursuit. I'm thinking about switching to a leftovers bulkier lax but i'm iffy about the loss of damage.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch

I originally had a scarfed Heracross in this slot, which gave me fighting coverage and a OHKO on deoxys-d. I have replaced him with Weavile to somewhat lessen my Dragon weakness, i'm iffy. Weavile allows me to fuck dragons up after a sac, and revenge kills some shit. Defs Replaceable. I'm thinking about a second sun sweeper in place or something.

Shit that Fucks my Team up (that i've noticed so far)

There is probably a shitload more

- Dragons fuck my team quite badly, as I lack a decent switch-in. I usually switch landorus-t into the salamences etc, and weaken/sac, then revenge with ninetails/weavile. Ninetails HP ice will do around 92% to mence. A dragon resist that works would be great.

-Heatran is a dickhead, walling my main sweeper, and being irritating to pick off. Dugtrio anyone?

-Sand Teams, esp ones featuring T-Tar often can beat me, as i lack a solid T-Tar counter.

ANYWAY, thanks for reading my mediocre RMT, and any suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Hi, there

This team I see a little 'weak Scarf Keldeo under that rain does extensive damage to virtually every Pokemon on your team.
Snorlax I see very bad also, a little 'because it is no moves that allow him to recover HP with that moveset, then why can not keep Draco Meteor from Latios, but a Psychock of Specs Latios sends crisis he, whereas without Leftovers and moves from HP recovery as I said before assign him to finish KO power after a while. 'To resolve this problem Keldeo and more generally to spam moves Water propose to insert Cresselia> Snorlax, Cresselia with Moonlight works extremely well in Sunny Day really catching a lot of HP, can use Thunder Wave to stop Keldeo and Ice Beam to hit the dragons, and Gliscor Landorus Thundurus-T for example, all Pokemon dangerous.

The moveset of Ninetales in my opinion is too frail, as it has to last as long as possible to win the War Weather and thus keep the Sun in the field, would do more defensive. The set is more resistant to Ninetales Chesto Rester in my opinion, considering that you have a Rapid Spinner in the team that would have very few Ninetales revenue and Chesto Berry can be a bit 'to counter this.
Furthermore, since Ninetales with Choice Scarf Politoed exceeds in speed, however, you can not kill it using Solar Beam, as will be set for the first Rain slower because it will take at least one turn to attack with Solar Beam and whereas to kill Weather Setter opponents have Gothitelle, I'd say you can safely switch to a set Chesto Rester for added strength.

Moving on to other changes smallest known some evs spread wrong on Venusaur and Landorus-T. For Venusaur with that nature and those Evs come outpaced by Scarf Latios and killed Psychock / Draco Meteor, so I propose this spread evs: 72 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd Timid with nature, so that you can overcome Scarf Latios and when undergoing KO to kill him using Sludge Bomb.
For Landorus-T i used this evs spread: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spd, because you can outrun Adamant Lucario, Dragonite and Toxicroak Choice Bander, being able to kill them using respectively Earthquake and Stone Edge. To suggest Gothitelle Grass Knot> Shadow Ball, to kill this Hippowdon with the support of Stealth Rock and win the War against a hypothetical Sandstorm Weather Team. That is all.
Good luck, with your team!

Sets
Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Psyshock

Ninetales (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sunny Day
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower

72 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd with Timid nature (for Venusaur)
248 HP / 108 Def / 152 Spd (for Landorus-T)
Grass Knot > Shadow Ball (for Gothitelle)

Hey!

First of all, nice team! Sun teams aren't very common in the current metagame so props for using them. Looking at your team, it seems weak to Stealth Rock because it hits hard both Ninetales and Weavile and if Stealth Rock is up, you can't win weather war against sand teams and rain teams easily and that's pretty bad because Venusaur becomes quite useless without the sun. Therefore, I suggest you to use Donphan replacing Landorus-T. Donphan can spin the Stealth Rock and it puts Stealth Rock and check dragon-types too so it should work fine in your team. I'd use a EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with a moveset of Earthquake, Ice Shard, Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock, with an Adamant nature and with Leftovers. Then, even if Stealth Rock isn't a problem yet, winning weather war can be hard because Ninetales with the current set hasn't a good staying power and it can die quickly. A Special Defensive set should work better in this team because it Will-O-Wisps Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon and helps you to win the weather war. It has a better staying power too obviously. A EV spread of 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe with a moveset of Flamethrower, Sunny Day, Will-O-Wisp and Protect with a Timid nature and with Leftovers should work. Sunny Day allows to pointless the switch in of Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon and that's help you a lot on the weather war. Next, I suggest you to use Timid nature replacing Modest nature on Venusaur. Timid nature allows to outspeed threats like Choice Scarf Latios and it's a better nature than Modest nature on Venusaur because the point of Chlorophyll Venusaur is outspeed stuff. As last thing, on Gothitelle I suggest you to use Grass Knot > Shadow Ball which allows you to kill Hippowdon.

Good luck!

Honestly, I think you should drop Gothitelle for a Dugtrio. Even if you pull out Gothitelle in front of Politoed, you are going to get KO'd if it's scarf'd or specs, sets that are really common nowadays, and even then, you still have Venusaur to comfortably counter most of the rain teams running around at the moment. The Dugtrio set you should use is SubReversal, with Substitute / Earthquake / Reversal / Stone Edge with a spread of 252 Atk and 252 spd. Tyranitar and Heatran are really big threats for this team if Weavile is down, and Gothitelle can't do anything to them. Dugtrio patches up this weakness really well. Remember to lower down all of your IV's in Def and SpDef to make Dugtrio even frailier and obviously remove 10 IV's from HP to be at 201. This way, your subs are 50 HP and after 4 you are at 1 HP. Also, it let's you take 2 of Blissey & Chasey Seismic Toss and then fire off a full powered Reversal.

Good Luck!

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi AleeT

Welcome to Smogon! This is an interesting Sun team you have here with some underrated Pokemon that are not often seen in OU such as Snorlax and Weavile. Looking at your team, a major threat to it is Special Attacking Dragons, namely Latios and Latias. Choice Specs Latios can fire off deadly Draco Meteors that none of your Pokemon can take, the only Pokemon you have that isn't flat out OHKO'ed by the move is Snorlax who is 2HKO'ed with high damage rolls or Stealth Rocks. Life Orb Latias can also give you some trouble as she can deal large amounts of damage while being able to tank hits with her great bulk and access to Roost. Opposing Chlorophyll Venusaur are also a potential problem as they can hit hard with Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb while crippling your main check of Snorlax with Sleep Powder. Weavile can revenge it but you lack a spinner so he can easily be worn down. To help against these threats, I suggest replacing Snorlax with a Specially Defensive Heatran with a moveset of Lava Plume / Earth Power / Toxic / Roar. Specially Defensive Heatran can tank Draco Meteors from Latios and Latias as well as Surfs that are weakened by the Sun and proceed to cripple them with Toxic. Lava Plume provides a strong STAB that is boosted by Sun and has a nice 30% to chance which can cripple physical attackers. Earth Poewr allows you to hit opposing Heatran and Roar allows you to phaze out set up sweepers and rack up more entry hazard damage. Snorlax is your most replaceable member as Weavile already provides a solid physical attacker who can Pursuit trap and Heatran can take over the special attack walling duties Snorlax currently holds.

For your Ninetales set, I recommend changing it to the Sunny Day Attacker with a moveset of Sunny Day / Fire Blast / Solarbeam / Hidden Power Ice. This set helps you maintain offensive pressure by helping you take control of the weather war. With full Special Attack investment, Fire Blast in the Sun is actually a surprisingly powerful attack coming from a seemingly weak Pokemon in Ninetales. Sunny Day lets you get up Sun when predicting Politoed switch ins or in front of the Defensive Politoed set, after which you can blast him with a Solarbeam. HP Ice allows you to hit the likes of Dragonite and Garchomp who think they can set up in front of you. Lastly, you need a Timid Nature over Modest Nature on Venusaur so that you can outspeed the likes of Scarf Latios in the Sun as well as speed tie with other Venusaurs.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Sets:
Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Toxic
-Roar

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Sunny Day
-Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
-Hidden Power Ice

tl;dr
Choice Band Snorlax ----> Specially Defensive Heatran
Choice Scarf Ninetales ----> Sunny Day Attacker Ninetales
Modest Nature on Venusaur ----> Timid Nature

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Ok so you have so many glaring weaknesses. Rain Teams, CB Scizor, Scarf Salamence, DD Dragonite, Specs Latios, CB Stoutland, Opposing Growth Venusaur, and Scarf Politoed.

My main concern is that Ninetales has such low longevity as it is with SR roaming around that it really can't pull of a scarf variant. Not only can it not switch in and continually force things out with its scarf'd speed tier consistently, but it misses so many KOs due to its lack of strength (even with Modest, I've tried this set before). I would change Ninetales to bulky SDef variant, allowing it to at least last longer in the weather war. Hit a speed tier of 265 to outpace Adamant Mamoswine and Jolly Breloom and below. Invest into maximum HP and invest the remainder into SDef, using a Calm Nature (no PO on me so I can't give you the EV spread since I don't know it off the top of my head >_>). Change the move set to WoW / Fire Blast / Sunny Day / Roar so you can phase set up sweepers and hopefully maintain the weather up as long as possible.

Your Venusaur does not want Modest; that's the worst nature it could get! This metagame really likes the means of Timid Venusaur if only to outpace Scarf Lati@s and below. Just hit 265 speed (with Timid) and invest max special attack, and the remainder should be put into HP.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyl
Nature: Timid
EVs: #Hp / 252 SpA / hit 265 spe
- Growth
- HP [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

I would use 72 Hp / 252 Atk / 184 Spe with Adamant on Landorus-T if you really want a bulky pivot (and even that spread is usually used by Dub Dance, but I recommend using it here since it seems you want a stronger STAB).

Specs Goth seems to be doing absolutely nothing. In fact, your better off just sacking it for the likes of something that can better take on rain. I'm going to recommend Life Orb Latias as it should perform the same role Goth is by eliminating Keldeo and Terrakion, but its also a great user to switch into Heatran as well as multiple rain hits. Use 72 Hp / 184 SAtk / 252 Spe with Timid and a moveset of Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Roost / Surf.

Latias @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Roost

Next, I really want to replace your Weavile. This Pokemon is supposed to be revenging Dragons, but it really can't switch into them. By using Choice Scarf Jirachi, you now have a Pokemon that can switch into these Dragon Spammers and live hits (you don't need to take too many as you should be able to play around them by mid game assuming you can get a Venusaur sweep). Scarf Jirachi acts as a great Dragon revenger as well as a pivot with Healing Wish. It's Fire Punch can also nab those pesky CB Scizor and Ferrothorn, while also being sun-boosted. Besides, with Snorlax, why do you even need Weavile considering Lax can Pursuit trap as well!

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch / Ice Punch
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

That's it from me! Good Luck with your team!

~ Good Luck ~
Shurtugal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)