XY OU SunStorm: A Tale of Two Weathers

First and foremost, hello. Although unlikely, some of you may recognize me from Serebii back in the day. I used to play back in gen 4 and quit in gen 5 because of boredom (seeing the same weather teams gets old very fast). Not long ago I found out about pokemonshowdown and I just did a few random battles for fun. More recently I've been trying to get back into the competitive scene and as a result I've tried to build many teams, only to have them scrapped. This is the most recent team I've built and I'm pretty satisfied with the play style and results of it. Currently at ~1660 on PS (name is shiranuo on there), although I don't really ever go on with the intent of 'laddering', I just go on casually. I guess that's enough of an introduction from me, so here's the team:

At a glance:

In-depth:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

For what Tyranitar is meant to do, I'd say it has the hardest job on the team. It is the first of two weather inducers and is also my main check to Lati@s, Thundurus, Landorus forms to some extent, bird spam, and Charizards to some extent. Sometimes his job can be very difficult considering some teams can include many of these threats. Also just a general revenge killer, however, ideally I just send something else in because with no Earthquake, things like Bisharp and Magnezone (and also Azumarill/Clefable, but this is true to any TTar) can come in easily. This used to be a Stealth Rock TTar but I often ran into teams were there would be no optimal time to set SR up (More pokemon threaten TTar than TTar threatens itself). EVs are pretty standard; Jolly because it needs as much speed as it can get. Pursuit/Crunch is self explanatory. Ice Punch because Landorus-T is such a common switch-in, and based on the damage, I would be able to tell which set it's running. Rock Slide over Stone Edge because Rock Slide still gets the OHKO on Thundurus and deals enough damage to all Charizard variants. Opted for Superpower over Crunch because I never really used Crunch and all the things I need TTar to check are dealt with by its first three moves. Superpower is just for Bisharp, who can run right through the team if Keldeo is weakened.
  • -1 252 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 176-208 (46 - 54.4%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 230-272 (69 - 81.6%)

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost

The second weather inducer, along with the ability to hit like a truck. Cookie cutter set with the exception of HP Ground > Focus Blast/EQ. These moves deal with Heatran all the same and the only common pokemon I lose coverage for is Tyranitar. I've been considering Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I'm ashamed to say I miss more Fire Blasts than I've hit on Landorus-T's. This is also the hardest counter to Stallbreaker Mew if I've ever seen one. Knock Off/Will O'/Taunt all do nothing and I get off a free attack in return. Also a great Clefable switch-in. Opting for Flamethrower over Fire Blast currently and its been doing fine.​

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 174 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

I really don't know how I completely overlooked this when I was looking for a mon that could Stealth Rock and switch in on a bunch of threats. EVs are leaned more to the physical side to take on Azumarill, although they arent made specifically to live X move from Y pokemon from 2HKOing me, they are just random.​

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Thanks Merkur_Lampe for suggesting Thundurus. It's been doing a great job at keeping a bunch of things in line like Keldeo, Azumarill, Slowbro, and Landorus forms. Standard set but opted for Knock Off as it helps with AV Azu/Chansey switch-ins and just in general. Also serves as my crutch for anything that tries to setup, since Scarf TTar isnt fast enough for any +1s.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Honestly I could probably just run Secret Sword and Scald and get away with it. I have only used those two moves in all of testing. Self explanatory set. Threatens a lot of things. Burns with scald. Icy Wind over HP Flying because this team has a harder time with Latios than it does Venusaur. Hidden Power [Electric] now used for Gyarados/Azumarill.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

When I gave TTar a Scarf, this was the only other pokemon that could take on Stealth Rocks, not to say that it's been bad though. Excadrill forces a lot of switches, at least a lot more than TTar does. Rapid Spin for Charizard. This is probably my go-to against Chansey. It absorbs Toxic/TWave and deals enough damage to threaten it. Ideally I find another pokemon to fit Stealth Rock on and give Excadrill Rock Slide for another check to Thundurus. Finally able to fit Rock Slide on this.

So yeah that's the team, any help is appreciated.

Threat List: Doing later.

Replays:
some nifty predictions:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-170421683

Last edited:
Hey Infectious, pretty decent team you got there. Just looking through it, your whole team gets destroyed by Scarf Mold Breaker Excadrill if your Mega Zard gets hurt by rocks. You should run Air Balloon Excadrill, because, while it loses that bit of power with Life Orb, you're forcing Exca/Lando-T to break your balloon before they can spam EQ. Your whole team also gets destroyed by Play Rough when Zard Y is gone, and even if it isn't, Waterfall's doing about 70% in the sun. To prevent this from happening, I would suggest running physically defensive Amoonguss > Breloom. You already have a mega, so non-mega Venusaur is kinda ugh. Amoonguss has the same job as Loom, being able to spore any non-grass type on the opponent's team(except Mandibuzz). It eats up hits from Azumarill and can retaliate with Giga Drain/Sludge Bomb. Not to mention, Azumarill will never stay in vs. Amoonguss, so you can double out into anything and heal up with Regenerator. It also handles with non-boosted Life Orb Bisharp pretty well, surviving Knock Offs and being able to 2HKO.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpA / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I actually had the same idea of using Mega Char-Y+Tyranitar+Excadrill, except I had Sylveon along with the core in my mind..

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/force-of-nature-an-in-depth-guide-to-zard-y.3501476/

I think this thread can help you out with this team.

Ice Punch because Landorus-T is such a common switch-in, and based on the damage, I would be able to tell which set it's running.
You can run Ice Beam instead of Ice Punch, and this will deal more damage to the opposing Landorus-T.
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 300-356 (78.5 - 93.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 300-356 (94 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
But you would be sacrificing its bulk either on physical or special side, though.

I think without a rock move on excadrill, this team is a bit weak to bird spam except for your Tyranitar. To check
Keldeo/Thundurus/Medicham/others?
and birds, how about using a Thundurus instead of your Breloom?

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Flying
- Focus Blast

HP Flying can be used if you are concerned about Mega Medicham.

Hey thanks for the replies.

ZCorps - I like the Balloon idea. Azumarill hasn't been a threat mostly because everyone switches it in on Charizard only to end up taking a Solar Beam. Breloom also deals with it pretty well.

@ Merkur_Lampe - Been testing Thundurus now and its been working great. Just for testing's sake I used Volt Switch > Focus Blast and it's honestly been working pretty well. Rather than having to rely on Focus Miss, I can lure in TTars or whatever else they have to check Thundurus and use the switch accordingly. However I've been considering Knock Off/Superpower for that last slot. Also I will change Ice Punch to Ice Beam.

Will make changes to OP after a bit more testing (currently at ~1750 now).

Giving this a bump.

Made some changes in OP; Latios is not currently on the team, I'm just testing with different stuff until I find something I like before I change it permanently. In place of Latios, I've tested ScarfChomp to some success, Landorus with Stealth Rock to open up Rock Slide on Excadrill, and currently using Venusaur to have a decent switch-in to Azumarill/Keldeo. Any advice is appreciated. Also I'm now at ~1840 on PS.

Ehy there, nice team! CharY+Tyra is a really strong core.

Anyway I notice an huge weakness to Keldeo, that simply enters and spams its STAB and your water resistor (Ferrothorn) is weak to fight.

Imho you would replace your Keldeo with AV Azuma which helps a lot against Keldeo and fight in general, and it could be useful even in other occasions thanks to its fantastic typing and a strong priority.

Azumarill (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)