Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Character and Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
how in gods name are you supposed to use jigglypuff? i have mastered every other character, including peach and olimar, but not jiggly. it is impossible! what is the point

how in gods name are you supposed to use jigglypuff? i have mastered every other character, including peach and olimar, but not jiggly. it is impossible! what is the point
^^

Well, what exactly seems to be the problem one-wing? =3

I lurve Jigglypuff, only 2nd to Lucas! She is sooo much fun to play with, if you can maneuver her correctly (mostly in the air). =)

Some things you might want to keep in mind:
1.) Dair to Rest is bliss! (be careful with this though, missing can be rather painful) x3
2.) Fair kills wonderfully! (reserve until the enemy is at high %)
3.) Chase the enemy off the stage with Bair (I'd do this when they're at low %)
4.) Pound has a deliciously jacked up hitbox! It's Jiggly's bread n' butter move. (but try not to spam it) =/

Anything after that is really how YOU string her moves together. I'm afraid I'm not a very good teacher, and in all honesty, Dunk can play Jiggs a hell of a lot better than I can! x3

Of course, if you have problems handling Jiggly, then maybe she just isn't one of the characters you were meant to wield. (just a thought)

I'm only comfortable with playing Lucas, Jiggly, and SOMETIMES Wolf. =)

I hope I helped....somehow. lol

When I'm free one day, we should have some friendlies. Maybe that'd help! =D

^^

Well, what exactly seems to be the problem one-wing? =3

I lurve Jigglypuff, only 2nd to Lucas! She is sooo much fun to play with, if you can maneuver her correctly (mostly in the air). =)

Some things you might want to keep in mind:
1.) Dair to Rest is bliss! (be careful with this though, missing can be rather painful) x3
2.) Fair kills wonderfully! (reserve until the enemy is at high %)
3.) Chase the enemy off the stage with Bair (I'd do this when they're at low %)
4.) Pound has a deliciously jacked up hitbox! It's Jiggly's bread n' butter move. (but try not to spam it) =/

Anything after that is really how YOU string her moves together. I'm afraid I'm not a very good teacher, and in all honesty, Dunk can play Jiggs a hell of a lot better than I can! x3

Of course, if you have problems handling Jiggly, then maybe she just isn't one of the characters you were meant to wield. (just a thought)

I'm only comfortable with playing Lucas, Jiggly, and SOMETIMES Wolf. =)

I hope I helped....somehow. lol

When I'm free one day, we should have some friendlies. Maybe that'd help! =D
i love lucas, he is a powerful character
but jiggly, it has some moves, some good ones, but you cant use the,. they dont build up in any way. rest is a potential one hit kill, but rarely hits and leaves you vulnerable. sing has to be walked into. double slap is all jiggly has going for it. rollout is somewhat difficult to get and keep going. i respect that you can use jiggly and enjoy it, i acknowledge it and i commend you for it. i suppose i have to agree that jiggly just aint for me...

Functionally, getting grabbed by King DeDeDe on Final Destination when you're Bowser is more or less the stock lost. However, Bowser does have the ability to play intelligently and stick to a side if it's FD or to manage to utilize platforms and spacing as best as he can. For those who don't know, let me summarize King DeDeDe's non-regular CGs:

Simple Throw to Regrab Infinite:
Donkey Kong
Sorry DK.

Throw to Pummel to Throw "Infinite"(Can only have 5 Dthrows in Stale Moves listing):
Mario
Luigi
Samus
This is not as bad as it seems. For one thing, you can escape a pummel at over 100% by proper mashing. In effect, this makes the "infinite" kill more or less the same time an Up Tilt would have.

Extended CG:
Bowser
Wolf
Ganon
Wario
Merely an extended version of the dashing CG, it varies in length. Bowser's, for example, requires very little distance to walk forward while the rest take more of a boost.

Over the Edge Infinite:
King Dedede
Wolf

This is rare and require a well placed grab, but if you get lucky a well placed CG can lead to this.

Is this broken? I don't think so. It's a bad match-up for every single one of those characters, but with the exception of DK all of them are not in a terrible situation. It's unfortunate that Donkey Kong has to experience that but even he can space himself well. It's no more broken than Yoshi V Wario is, or Wario versus Bowser or DK again.

Hope this helped.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That infinite chain throw is one of the main reasons that DDD is ranked 3rd on the tier list, allowing him to gain a complete upper hand in the match.

That infinite chain throw is one of the main reasons that DDD is ranked 3rd on the tier list, allowing him to gain a complete upper hand in the match.

The standing regrabs have only been discovered fairly recently, to my knowledge. The tier list is a couple months old now.

the infinite chain throw only really has an effect on DK's usage in tournament. which is sad because he's one of a few characters that doesn't get COMPLETELY raped by both MK/Snake.

Do any Yoshi mains have an opinion on the matchup vs. MK? I've seen the discussion about it in the Yoshi boards but I haven't ever seen a Yoshi beating a well-known MK.

almost 666

The standing regrabs have only been discovered fairly recently, to my knowledge. The tier list is a couple months old now.
The first part of your post is not correct. Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UyrHXK36A

It details the standing regrab on DK, Bowser, Mario, Samus and Luigi.

Now take a look at the date: March 14th, 2008. I'm not aware of the exact date when the infinite on those was discovered, but we can surmise that it was on that date or earlier. Keep in mind that March 14th is less than a week after the American release of Brawl.

The tier list was released a good 6 months or so into the American version of the game, I believe. Late summer or early fall.

Do any Yoshi mains have an opinion on the matchup vs. MK? I've seen the discussion about it in the Yoshi boards but I haven't ever seen a Yoshi beating a well-known MK.

almost 666
I would beat Roger if not for that confounded lag, lolololol. See it makes me a funny guy when I insult the lag. My e-peen is bigger now

If the Yoshi player is smart/equal in skill to the metaknight player, Yoshi shouldn't have too hard of a time against Metaknight. Metaknight really can't do anything against Yoshi's eggs and if you spam them as much as you should, you'll be controlling the entire match.

Remember, distance, spacing, and keeping momentum. Also chaingrab. In terms of high-level play, I can't think of any videos... I did beat MDK's Metaknight once though!

I often play this MK that's really good at utilt juggling, and it seems like a free stock when Yoshi is knocked too high.

Kirby is rape. I played ninjalink and chu dat at a tournament this weekend. Probably the worst parings ever for round one and the first loser bracket round. They placed 3rd and 7th respectively. M2K and DSF took first and second. Pretty awesome though for my first in person tournament.

Lol, yeah thuderhorse was telling us about that.

Bracket. Rape. :X

Ah well; it's awesome that you got to play them regardless!

Kirby is rape. I played ninjalink and chu dat at a tournament this weekend. Probably the worst parings ever for round one and the first loser bracket round. They placed 3rd and 7th respectively. M2K and DSF took first and second. Pretty awesome though for my first in person tournament.
Technically you could've gotten worse brackets had you fought M2K and DSF for your matches (though how either one of them would score losers in round 1 without fighting one another is beyond me). Your situation was pretty shit though. Most everyone would've lost to those brackets.

As far as Chu's Thanksgiving Biweeklies, it depends on what time and day it's on. Saturday is my birthday, so I probably won't be able to last for the duration of the event if it's on that day, but I'll at least try to make a brief appearance and stay as long as possible before other pressing matters take over. If it's on Sunday, expect me to be there the whole duration.

Quinny's probably in the same boat as me, since we're hanging out for my birthday, but I'll let him speak for himself

I'll be there if I can. If only to make the pot a little larger for the winner >_>. I'm out of town Thursday and part of Friday so hopefully it is early enough on Saturday.

I would beat Roger if not for that confounded lag, lolololol.

If the Yoshi player is smart/equal in skill to the metaknight player, Yoshi shouldn't have too hard of a time against Metaknight. Metaknight really can't do anything against Yoshi's eggs and if you spam them as much as you should, you'll be controlling the entire match.

Remember, distance, spacing, and keeping momentum. Also chaingrab. In terms of high-level play, I can't think of any videos... I did beat MDK's Metaknight once though!
I agree with YK. As a former Yoshi main, and current Yoshi secondary, I think that even though Yoshi does not have an advantage over MK, Yoshi does better vs MK than most characters.

I have beat Roger before (probably the best MK on smogon), and honestly if you can play around with grabs and eggs Yoshi should not have a hard time vs. MK.

It is sad how Yoshi is so unpopular in brawl :( But there are players out there like YK and I that spend their time practicing with such a wonderful character! :)

Yoshi's definitely gaining some popularity among the masses. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up at least 5 more spots in the next tier list, as his matchups are finalized (very few are poor in his favour) and more advanced techniques are discovered for him (Draconic reverse etc.)...

It's at this point that I really wish I were just a better/more technically skilled player in general. I'm sure if I had some better abilities, everyone would see that Yoshi belongs a little higher up on the tier list.

I agree with both of you! (YK & Shaky) =D

I think Yoshi is just HELL to fight against, at least from what I've experienced from you and Shaky. He's a fast little dino and though his smashes aren't the most powerful, they're pretty fast IMO (with some good range too). I'd say Yoshi's TAIL is the biggest threat. His u-air is really powerful and his bair is a very good spacer (comes out fairly quick too). =3

Of course, his eggs are potent as well. It's hard for me to really rank characters just based upon their strengths and weaknesses. Just watching them kick ass with the help of a skilled player is ALL I need! O.O

I think Yoshi's deserves to be higher too. =D

(Can't say much for Jiggly though. CURSE her feathery weight and horribly SLOW smash attacks! Don't know how I'm able to do so well with her! o.o)

*Also YK, I'm not a technical Brawler either. NOT ONE BIT!! x3

~me dodge well~ lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)