Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Character and Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a couple of states away enough to make you realize that this post is useless?

Captain Falcon for bottom tier

Dunk you should stop posting, you're at lucky triple sevens!

Anyways out of curiousity Mia, is the SBR going to release a new tier list any time soon?

Yes, I believe a new tier list will be released to the public within a month. The voting is still taking place.

There's also a discussion currently to restructure the counter picking system. I maintain that we ban poor stages and infinites rather than changing an effective system. I am against anything that debases player talent, a conservative view that doesn't seem to be favoring me too well.

I showed the restructuring ideas to Chu, but he was laughing too hard to finish reading them.

Thunderhorse, come play me.

Depends on what's going on. Saturday I will either be at CH4.5 or taking the car to my mechanic for an oil change (if he's working that day). Friday's are always no good due to work and quinnydinny's place afterwards. Sunday might work, as would Saturday if I don't end up going to CH4.5.

You gonna be at Chu's Christmas bi-weekly next week?

Yes, I believe a new tier list will be released to the public within a month. The voting is still taking place.

There's also a discussion currently to restructure the counter picking system. I maintain that we ban poor stages and infinites rather than changing an effective system. I am against anything that debases player talent, a conservative view that doesn't seem to be favoring me too well.

I showed the restructuring ideas to Chu, but he was laughing too hard to finish reading them.

I hope that Kirby places back in High Tier... He's only at C Rank in the tourneys (though granted, he's at the top of that one, and placed at no. 12 at that).

That's great to hear. What's the word on Yoshi? I'm hoping for the higher end of low tier/bottom of mid. *fingers crossed*... Please tell me that the views in the SBR are less subjective than what they were before regarding lower tiered characters? It was plainly obvious that most of SBR didn't know what the hell they were on about around the lower end of Middle tier when the last list was made. Characters like Mario and Samus and Sonic scored above Ness, Lucas, and Yoshi, which is just absurd. I realize that tournament results do factor in for tier rankings, but if a character is flat-out awful, not even a few surprise wins should net them a higher spot than a less popular character. From what you've stated here so far, you seem to have a good idea of what's what, so please continue to fight the good fight.

What kind of stages do you feel are "poor", Mia? You and I might have the same opinion about this kind of thing. I'm also for banning infinites (Not necessarily chain grabs, just infinites). Also I may as well ask what kind of changes are being proposed. I see no problem with the current counterpicking system, so why try to fix what isn't broken?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu- if only people wanted to play online ;_;

........GO JIGGLYPUFF!!! X3 (o.O)

Also, as one of smogon's Lucas mains, I feel obligated to throw in my opinion as well. NESS IS THE BETTER PKer! (hands down I'm afraid) =/

I can't get very technical on my opinion, but I have faced Colin and Shaky (both excellent Ness users, IMO) multiple times.....and I pretty much always come up short. Well, I guess I CAN say this much:
1.) WAY better grab! (oh crap....back throw) o.o ~plus it's faster with little ending lag~
2.) WAY better aerials! (with the possible exception of Nair)
3.) WAY better PKT2! (40%...not a problem.....you go BOOM!) x3
4.) If PK Fire connects, expect some free 25%+ damage! ~unless you're light like Jiggly~
5.) SUPERIOR SPIKE! (easy to land, while Lucas' is fickle and needs the proper setup ~has to turn around~)

*Anyways, I'll be on frequently guys! Finals are done and I tasted New Orleans, LA snow!!!! (WOOT!)

~second time in my life where I've actually seen and felt REAL snow~

Ness' PK Fire shouldn't be dealing 25% damage unless you're Bowser. You can DI out of it in ~ half a second.

Lucas' Pivot grab is great, and he can grab release > dtilt trip > fsmash alot of characters. His Dtilt also has more range and comes out faster.

Lucas can hit himself faster with PKT than Ness can when recovering. He also has Zapjump and Magnet Pull tricks.

Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Counterpick:

Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

I will also be @ CH 4.5

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
So every Sonic I converse with wants Sonic at mid-tier. Personally, I don't really argue whether he moves up or remains where he is (though he shouldn't move down), but what do you all think?

With a new tier list coming, I'm more or less interested in who isn't moving rather then who is. Also, what makes Yoshi's Island and Lylat Cruise a counterpick? Not that I'm going to argue any point on it, I'm curious as why they got moved down.

So every Sonic I converse with wants Sonic at mid-tier. Personally, I don't really argue whether he moves up or remains where he is (though he shouldn't move down), but what do you all think?
I would personally like to see him move up. I think he's at least a bit better than most people consider him to be (though by no means a great or even good character), and he has the tournament results to back up a low Mid-tier placing. But as much as I love Sonic, despite me not maining him, he's simply just not as good as any of the other mid tiers, and he has some truly horrendous matchups against some unfortune and popular characters and no redeeming ones at all. It's the same (inversly applied) why Luigi was so high up on the preliminary tier list despite his lack of tournament results: he is simply recognized as a good (good enough for mid-tier anyway) character, as opposed to Sonic who is simply just not on the same level as the rest of the mid-tiers bar perhaps Sheik (but even then, Sheik has a projectile, killer ftilt, and a transformation to Zelda to solve her killing problem among other strengths).

If Sonic were to be moving up a tier on the list, He should be absolute or near bottom of mid-tier, and if he did that, there are problably more worthy candidates to pull up from low tier (Ness).

EDIT: And they took out JJ as CP:(.

you can't beat a falco on jj...lol

about the ness v lucas debate, all of the pk attacks are overrated. ness at least has a pillar to combo from. pkt2 from either character honestly shouldn't be killing people very frequently.

thanks for the heads up on the tier list umbreon. i think it'd be fun to have us all make our own tier list and see how close we come to the real thing.

Ness' PK Fire shouldn't be dealing 25% damage unless you're Bowser. You can DI out of it in ~ half a second.

You're probably right about that; I was just throwing out a random # from the top of my head. (also sucks at DI) x3

Lucas' Pivot grab is great, and he can grab release > dtilt trip > fsmash alot of characters. His Dtilt also has more range and comes out faster.

Pivot grab? That's like when you turn around quickly and execute a grab right? Also, grab release? (gosh I'm Brawl-technically-challenged lol) I never could find a use for his Dtilt. Tell me more Minwu!!! =)

Lucas can hit himself faster with PKT than Ness can when recovering. He also has Zapjump and Magnet Pull tricks.

The hitting himself faster is indeed true. Though I can never really incorporate Zapjump into my style, I'm afraid. Also, magnet pull tricks? o.O
*On an ending note, whenever I mention my PK comparisons, I'm really only talking about Ness vs. Lucas, and NO other matchups. I'm sure Lucas is a fine character in other matchups, but I know I have HELL against Ness users. >.<

Pokemon Trainer had better be in the late 20's at least. Though handling 3 different pokemon is a challenge but once you learn to use them, you can show alot of players that PT is not really all that bad. I still dont see PT going anywhere though and if we win enough tournaments with PT, who knows maybe he will be placed a little bit higher than bottom tier. Isnt he like placed what 33 or 34?

Captain Falcon is definitly going to be a mid tier character now that players have given Falcon a chance to see his true potential. Plus, many more players have been using him in the past 3 months since that tier list came out. Has anyone seen the brawl clip of SlientSpectre using Falcon and 3 stocked a G@W player? If SilentSpectre can 3 stock a G@W player, then anyone who seriously mains Falcon can do the same thing.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would personally like to see him move up. I think he's at least a bit better than most people consider him to be (though by no means a great or even good character), and he has the tournament results to back up a low Mid-tier placing. But as much as I love Sonic, despite me not maining him, he's simply just not as good as any of the other mid tiers, and he has some truly horrendous matchups against some unfortune and popular characters and no redeeming ones at all. It's the same (inversly applied) why Luigi was so high up on the preliminary tier list despite his lack of tournament results: he is simply recognized as a good (good enough for mid-tier anyway) character, as opposed to Sonic who is simply just not on the same level as the rest of the mid-tiers bar perhaps Sheik (but even then, Sheik has a projectile, killer ftilt, and a transformation to Zelda to solve her killing problem among other strengths).

If Sonic were to be moving up a tier on the list, He should be absolute or near bottom of mid-tier, and if he did that, there are problably more worthy candidates to pull up from low tier (Ness).

EDIT: And they took out JJ as CP:(.
That's one issue I have about him moving to mid tier. People want it to happen so bad just so they can say "Hah! My character isn't a low tier!" but he's only going to be moving a few spaces and into a part of mid tier that doesn't really matter.

Also fuck JJ. I'm still mad at that last match we had.

Captain Falcon is definitly going to be a mid tier character now that players have given Falcon a chance to see his true potential. Plus, many more players have been using him in the past 3 months since that tier list came out. Has anyone seen the brawl clip of SlientSpectre using Falcon and 3 stocked a G@W player? If SilentSpectre can 3 stock a G@W player, then anyone who seriously mains Falcon can do the same thing.
Depends on the G&W. If it was an average or subpar G&W, then it's just a good Falcon vs a scrub G&W. If it was a really good G&W that consistently places well, then that most likely means the Falcon itself is just really realy good, and at a competitive level that only few can reach.

aka I don't want to see this turn into a similar discussion like Diddy being a MK counter because NinjaLink beat M2K.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Sonic isn't that good, Sonic mains are just very, very, very annoyingly vocal. To be fair, his advantage is sheer speed. He loses most direct comparisons on paper because that's not the way Sonic is designed to work, he is meant to bait/attack or overwhelm the opponent before they can react. Yet, these are things opponents will eventually pick up on and knock Sonic back to his rightful place, near the bottom. ;[

Falco can't even laser camp JJ because the terrain is uneven. That stage doesn't "work" against any character he can't CG high enough to spike through the water for a kill. :P

Maku said:
Pivot grab? That's like when you turn around quickly and execute a grab right? Also, grab release? (gosh I'm Brawl-technically-challenged lol) I never could find a use for his Dtilt. Tell me more Minwu!!! =)

Pivot grab. Lucas and Yoshi's pivot grabs are generally always better to use than thier standing grab since there's less lag.

Grab releasing is letting the opponent go after you grab them instead of throwing them. There's two different kinds of grab releases: air releases and ground releases. Normally the enemy will air release, unless 1. they're touching the ground or 2. they escape while being attacked.

Lucas' grab release to Dtilt combo only works with ground releases, so once you grab the enemy you simply grab attack them until they ground release.

Since different characters slide different distances when being released from a grab, this only works on certain characters. It works best on Marth, Charizard, and Peach.

If your Dtilt trips them, you can Fsmash them! Be sure not to hit them with another Dtilt or they'll get back up.

This is best used when the enemy is above 60% damage, or else you won't be tripping them very often.

The hitting himself faster is indeed true. Though I can never really incorporate Zapjump into my style, I'm afraid. Also, magnet pull tricks? o.O

Try using PSI Magnet right after you use PK Fire. You'll bounce away from your projectile even more. This is really useful when used in tandem with zapjump(PK Fire away from the stage)

New Lucas recovery technique that's like zapjump while throwing an item:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etoq4X9R5i8

Pokemon Trainer had better be in the late 20's at least. Though handling 3 different pokemon is a challenge but once you learn to use them, you can show alot of players that PT is not really all that bad. I still dont see PT going anywhere though and if we win enough tournaments with PT, who knows maybe he will be placed a little bit higher than bottom tier. Isnt he like placed what 33 or 34?

Can I get a link to that video? It sounds inspiring.

And does anyone know any good Brawl Samus users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)