Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Character and Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the tiers not changed since?

In my opinion Sheik deserves to be at least B Tier. She has great attacks that easily slide into one another, setting up great combos. Her grabs are not that bad and her aerial game is to the point of broken (Fair abuse?). I guess she's still in C Tier due to her lack of a reliable KO move. *Sigh*

-Terywj
I completely agree. Sheik is not a bad brawler, its just that she's underrated because of her lack of good-kick move. She kind of just has to rely on her mass-damaging moves and not getting hit and then pull out a smash attack. Nintendo screwed her when they didnt give her a powerful killer attack.

Lucas is probably my favorite killer. His ranged attacks, unlike ness's, can hit more than one person in a shot. He can trap opponents with PK fire and them hit them with his baseball bat, which, if played correctly, can net him a kill. He can also freeze foes for a second with PK Freeze, another annoying attack. Finally, he can ram himself into opponents with PK Thunder, causing massive kickback, usually his greatest weapon if pulled off correctly. Despite the difficulty of using ^B as a jump, lucas is a very efficient player and a threat to be reckoned with.
LUCAS: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
I think you're a little confused my friend.

I completely agree. Sheik is not a bad brawler, its just that she's underrated because of her lack of good-kick move. She kind of just has to rely on her mass-damaging moves and not getting hit and then pull out a smash attack. Nintendo screwed her when they didnt give her a powerful killer attack.
I main sheik myself and a lack of killing moves really is a problem. Luckily, Zelda has more than enough finishers. If you can handle both Zelda and Sheik she really becomes an incredible character, especially because they're both so different; Sheik is very offensive while Zelda is more on the defense (at least my Zelda/Sheik are). You can practically counterpick against what character you're playing.
Transforming can be a problem, but rising transformation can work wonders.

I main squirtle myself and a lack of killing moves really is a problem. Luckily, charizard has more than enough finishers. If you can handle both squirtle and charizard he really becomes an incredible character, especially because they're both so different; squirtle is very offensive while charizard is more on the defense (at least my PT is). You can practically counterpick against what character you're playing.
Transforming can be a problem, but rising transformation can work wonders.

Steeler said:
altered quote
however Zelda/Sheik doesn't force you to switch whenever you get KOd and can actually pull off a transformation without getting mauled. Only being able to transform on the ground is rediculous. And of course the stamina thing is a huge letdown.

If you pause, the Zelda/Shiek transformation isn't that big of a deal. Don't see the need to go Zelda often though. Shiek's usmash kills at a decent percent and gets a good boost from DACUS.

You can't pause in a tournament match unless the opponent agrees.
what if one player is pt and the other is z/s and they sign a treaty that states that whenever a player switches, that person can pause the game for a second

because i did that once

Wha rawcrayonz is crazy. Olimar weak and sonic extremely powerful???
EDIT: Also, I think Shiek's forward smash is decent at killing as well as her up smash. She also, imo, still has a fierce chase game off stage.

Interesting, Njzfinest. Well good to see the Smash community here.

About SK92 and DEHF, SK92 seems more consistent, but DEHF is definitely better at the moment (all depends on your definition of good).

Falco is an OK character in Brawl. He needs to run away the moment he's good the lead against MK, because you don't want MK to be running away from you. Simple as that. He's got good matchups against about the entire cast. SK92 relies on his airdodge/spotdodge "mindgames" a lot though.

About the MK matchup, the only problem Falco has with MK, is MKs ability to air dodge through Falco's aerial when he's dair camping, so he's below him. MK doesn't have anything else (except for edge guarding, but he won't get the chance to if he can't grab/hit Falco).

Edit:

Lol, what's this about Ganon. Ganon is an awesome character. Just predict rolls, spot dodges, jumps and air dodges. Win. The thing you need to do is get an early f-smash, then just react etc. He's nowhere near as good as CF though.

He's nowhere near as good as CF though.
If you main Ganon, CF nearly comes natural, despite being rather different.

Also, Kirby is what appeals to me the most. In a matchup against Snake, Kirby can really stay on the board. Kirby has a special gimp on Snake, and when Grenades are copyed, Kirby sure gets a big help out of that.

That was an example of how paragonal Kirby is.

Hmm, I don't see why more people main Ganon/CF. I main both myself, and I don't feel that they should be anywhere near the bottom tier. But, I suppose the tiers are based off of usability, not on the skill of the player.

Hmm, I don't see why more people main Ganon/CF. I main both myself, and I don't feel that they should be anywhere near the bottom tier. But, I suppose the tiers are based off of usability, not on the skill of the player.
Both characters lack safe options and are easily gimped. CF has a few more safe options than Ganondorf in exchange for a fair bit of KO power and priority.

In general though, these characters pretty much fail at dealing with defenses. Pretty much every other character in the game has a less situational option that can be used safely on defenses, and some safer means of scoring the KO.

I personally think Ganondorf is very slightly better than Captain Falcon since he can kill MUCH earlier and has a more powerful gimp game not to mention some viable out of shield options that can kill, but on the other hand, he has more unwinnable matchups.

On the current tier list at SWF, Sonic is overrated, Sheik is underrated, Jigglypuff is MAD underrated, Luigi is underrated, Mario is underrated, DDD is overrated, and those are probably the main discrepancies that really matter.

Also, Balanced Brawl is amazing. It could be more balanced with more intelligent changes, but regardless it's definitely worth a look.

I love Captain Falcon. I started maining him when I moved to college, and love his play style. Not to mention spamming "Show me your moobs!" Every time I don't want to get punished for pursuing a foe. He's actually not too horrible. His absolute lack of priority really hurts sometimes. But, once you learn to play him, he's not all that bad.

Personally, I value mobility in a character a lot. This is why I think CF is better than Ganondorf easily, though not by a large margin. Both suck, but Captain Falcon's ability to at least maneuver edges him out in my mind.

On that note, it is why I value Sonic's placement. If it werent for being the most mobile character in the game, he would be bottom. Despite having horrible hitboxs, knockback, etc, the ability to move brings him up enough that I think he is close to where he deserves on the list, perhaps a touch lower. G&W is also mobile :3

On the current tier list at SWF, Sonic is overrated, Sheik is underrated, Jigglypuff is MAD underrated, Luigi is underrated, Mario is underrated, DDD is overrated, and those are probably the main discrepancies that really matter.
How is Jigglypuff worth using over Wario? Jigglypuff has almost the same attacks, but none of Wario's defensive durability, considering that she's the lightest in the game. Jiggly has awful reach in general and has trouble landing kills, not to mention the slowest land speed of any character.

I agree with what you said about Sheik and Mario though.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Jiggly is like a worse Wario but Wario is a really good character as it is so that's not really a bad thing. Marth is just a worse MK too, eh? :P Jiggly can stay very safe, even safer than Wario, due to its ability to float around so fluidly. Mixup game on approach isn't bad either since Pound eats shields (and stuffs spotdodges) and it can cross-up most character's shields.

Mario is underrated, DDD is overrated

I would say that you're completely mad if you weren't so right about everything else.

Kind of surprising to see people defending Jiggly's usefulness too, but it's good stuff either way. I was under the impression that even the Jiggs mains thought that she's a crap character.

Also, Kirby is what appeals to me the most. In a matchup against Snake, Kirby can really stay on the board. Kirby has a special gimp on Snake, and when Grenades are copyed, Kirby sure gets a big help out of that.
Can someone explain this in more detail for me, or provide a link that explains this? I don't have an account on smashboards so I can't do a search there.

Can someone explain this in more detail for me, or provide a link that explains this? I don't have an account on smashboards so I can't do a search there.
I believe it's the one where if Snake has a Grenade in his hand, and Kirby does an Up throw, the Grenade goes off and Snake dies (IIRC). It's pretty old so it might not be that.

The problem with vBrawl is this:
Metaknight is overpowered.
I've played in tournaments before,
and it almost always ends up in Metaknight camping from someone.
I play Brawl +, and one thing they've done is even out the characters,
Which makes it way better.

I'm not gonna post an all out tier list but here are some of my thoughts:

Regardless of what has been said, I believe Olimar and Sonic are underrated. Olimar, while very annoying and hard to control with very weak attacks, can be quite annoying if you're good at controlling him.
OLIMAR: ♦ ♦ ♦ - -

Sonic, on the other hand is extremely powerful. He's fast, he can hit stuff, then get out before he gets hit too much. He can also grab the smash ball before anyone else due to his vastly superior speed, and has a great final smash, despite being relatively easy to avoid, if it gets you, you're gonna take a beating. however, since so many matches nowadays are itemless, that goes out the window. He can still get alot of hits in a game and surprisingly pull out a kill if he can rack up the percent. with more than 2 players, however, sonic loses his luster and becomes a damaging convenience for the other players, whoever isnt being attacked. He is also extremely ineffective against Ike, who has ridiculously strong attacks and can counter sonics frequent annoyances and send him flying.
SONIC: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ -

Lucario, in my opinion, is also very good if used properly. While he is slightly predictable if he tries to counter, he's very good at avoiding pesky fast attacks and dealing damage back. He also has a handy Aura Sphere which increases effectiveness as he loses health. This is a great weapon to pull a kill out of the hat once you've taken some hits.
LUCARIO: ♦ ♦ ♦ - -

Wolf is, I'm sad to say, disappointing for being the last character unlocked. His attacks do little damage and he's really easy to self-KO. Plus the fact that if you mess up and tilt the analog stick just a little to the side when doing ^B attack, you essentially lose the match.
WOLF: ♦ ♦ - - -

Lucas is probably my favorite killer. His ranged attacks, unlike ness's, can hit more than one person in a shot. He can trap opponents with PK fire and them hit them with his baseball bat, which, if played correctly, can net him a kill. He can also freeze foes for a second with PK Freeze, another annoying attack. Finally, he can ram himself into opponents with PK Thunder, causing massive kickback, usually his greatest weapon if pulled off correctly. Despite the difficulty of using ^B as a jump, lucas is a very efficient player and a threat to be reckoned with.
LUCAS: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Indeed. I main (mostly out of fanboyism) Sonic (though I haven't played for a while,) and he has an UBER FS. Sonic is VERY decent in item matches, because Super Sonic is a beast. (For the same reason Jirachi and Shaymin-S are awesome: He can flinch you as he launches you repeatedly.) Plus his smash doesn't require you to get up close and personal to your foes, unlike many other FSes. Not exactly unique, but Super Sonic is a force to be reckoned with. (Except on Mario Bros. but that's banned.) And he can Hyrule spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)