Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament 2vs2 - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Welcome to the Smogon 2vs2 Tournament!!

Because signups were not filled, 3 teams will be given byes for this round, if you are one of the lucky 3 sit back and wait for Round 2. Everyone else, contact your opponents and set up times to get your matches done.

Now for this tournament communication is key. I urge all of you to either download AIM/YIM/MSN so you can have a real time chat with your opponents. Alternatively I have set up a chat room for getting into contact with your opponents and even other Smash players, check out the IRC tutorial here. Instead of joining #Smogon, join #Smash (although #Smogon is full of cool people!!)

Additionally when you finally do begin to Brawl, I urge you to do a lag test, make sure you and your opponents are in agreement so there is no fighting over who thought the match was real, etc. Choose characters you won't use and do a simple 2 minute match to see what kind of lag you will be experiencing. If the lag is nonexistant or bearable then have your matches, if it is terrible with too much slow down too often, reschedule for another time. Remember this is just a suggestion and you don't have to do this unless you feel you should.

Matches are best 2 out of 3, which means whoever wins twice will be declared the victor. All participants must set the following rules:
Friendly Fire ON
2 players vs 2 players set to Team Brawl (team color will be given)
4 stock
No items, all items set to off and appearance to none
The following stages are banned:
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Spear Pillar
WarioWare
New Pork City
75m
Mario Bros
Flat Zone 2
Hyrule Temple
Big Blue
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town Aero Dive
Pokemon Stadium 2
Skyworld
Neutral Strike Out Stages:

Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Final Destination
Stage selection will be as follows, first game will be a neutral strike out (Each team will pick 2 stages from a list of 5 that they do NOT want to play on. The remaining stage will be the one played on for the first match.), second game the loser of the first game selects the stage, and if it goes to a third match the loser of the second match chooses. So like this:
First game: Neutral strike out
Second game: All players select the stage the loser of the first game wants
Third game: All players select the stage the loser of the second game wants

The matchups (made with Mekkah's Bracketmaker):
16 Beautiful People: Kristy Haruka, The Raven vs 4 Team Sonic & Knuckles: Kite, Zangy, Dark Kirby

bye vs 13 Team (thebest): the Lexx, Steeler

bye vs 22 Enemy Yoshi Alert!: 3N3MY, Yoshi!

15 Wavenuts: Mr Escalator, Thunderpup vs 7 The Midnight Marauders: OGsloane, Pirate0

9 Team Cute: 0mastar, Drayano vs 10 The Fire Breathing Nuclear Bear-Sharks: TheMantyke, EL_TEC

20 Friends of the mother earth: Sovereign, 180.ROGER, Dark-War-Cloud vs 14 Radiance: Light, sixonesix

26 M.I.A. - Mindgames in Action: leafgreen386, cultofrubik vs 23 no team name: ColinJF, Gouki

bye vs 12 Blades of Glory: SuperSwampert67, l_tizzle05

28 Captains of Wool: Calciphoce, CaptainCrunch vs 24 Go up!: Aim-for-him, Mabw

6 Team Comfort Food: Mizuno, Ghost_Chill vs
29 Grilled Maple Leaves: Jackal, HotGarbage

11 Cool Blazes of Glory: spooterpot, kizetsu vs 27 PattonStonewallMcArthur: Deck Knight, muramusaw8

3 Damnit Someone Stole My Bike Seat: Thunderhorse, quinnydinny vs 1 Calcium Fortified Apple Juice: zerowing, Fish, sheaziken

8 Team Cerowang: Firestorm, MrE vs 18 The Killers: Shaky, Kira

2 Dances with Swords: Wolt, StrangerDanger, Yoshi King vs 19 Old School: NESgamer, Mr.378

25 Xtreme Raptor Jesus: Omnifarious Grey, Mecha Dunsparce, ZidsumthinX vs 17 Lolita Anime V: SSBM roy, Juiceman

5 AURALITHIUM: Mexi-Kade, ~MakutheHowlingVortex~, xc_hawk vs
21 FOXHOUND: LLama, Silver610

Deadline is NEXT MONDAY

Skyworld's still an unbanned stage? Bummer.

Anyway, we'll have to get our match done a little later. I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken in a few hours, and I've heard the recovery time being anywhere from a half a day to 3-5 days, so at the absolute worst I won't be available for the rest of the week, but should be able to get it done within the remaining days before the deadline.

Alright, we got this thing underway! I'm still a bit sad about being on Red Team, as I was hoping for either green or blue. Good luck to all the competitors and remember, have fun.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I was in Toronto visiting cloud all weekend and my team fell apart. Lame.

I think if I find a partner, we should be allowed to take on one of those bye teams.

Tch, sorry about that DM :/. The deadline was last night so I just threw together a last minute team. If zerowing would allow it, it would be awesome to have you join Jackal and me.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
No worries man, if I had KNOWN THAT LAST NIGHT WAS THE DEADLINE (HINT HINT) I would've made a more concerted effort to get in touch with you last night, but I was exhausted.

6 Team Comfort Food: Mizuno, Ghost_Chill vs
29 Grilled Maple Leaves: Jackal, HotGarbage

ahah awesome team name matchup

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would've played with DM on my team, but zerowing was quite upset about it. It's far beyond me why he would be so mean as to not let me join. :(

Oh, here are my predictions.

16 Beautiful People: Kristy Haruka, The Raven - I've heard lots of ++ about Kristy Haruka. It surprises me too, no offense. bye - Bye will beat Team (thebest). Hand down, no question about it.22 Enemy Yoshi Alert!: 3N3MY, Yoshi! - Bye stands no chance.

15 Wavenuts: Mr Escalator, Thunderpup - Sounds feasable, though I've never played either. Can't imagine why.

10 The Fire Breathing Nuclear Bear-Sharks: TheMantyke, EL_TEC - I think for once I'll be nice to TheMantyke.

20 Friends of the mother earth: Sovereign, 180.ROGER - Captain Planet support. 26 M.I.A. - Mindgames in Action: leafgreen386, cultofrubik - Even though I hate leafgreen386, this match will be light years beyond easy.12 Blades of Glory: SuperSwampert67, l_tizzle05 - Bye loses yet again!

28 Captains of Wool: Calciphoce, CaptainCrunch - They'll leave the restaurant and complain about expensive flapjacks. 6 Team Comfort Food: Mizuno, Ghost_Chill vs
29 Grilled Maple Leaves: Jackal, HotGarbage - I can't make a decision because I just want to read the team name and players. Turn Ghost_Chill into Ghost_Chili and we get HotGarbage.

27 PattonStonewallMcArthur: Deck Knight, muramusaw8 - Eh, just guessing.

1 Calcium Fortified Apple Juice: zerowing, Fish, sheaziken - Cheering for Fish, not for zerowing.

8 Team Cerowang: Firestorm, MrE - They make fun of zerowing, and there's MrE to boot. 19 Old School: NESgamer, Mr.378 - I don't know these two, so I'll bet on them because StrangerDanger and Wolt become very predictable very fast. I've never played Yoshi King though due to what could be the reason zerowing never let me play.

17 Lolita Anime V: SSBM roy, Juiceman - Go SSBM roy.

5 AURALITHIUM: Mexi-Kade, ~MakutheHowlingVortex~, xc_hawk - Okay, so Maku, who still owes me a battle, has super powerful team abilities or so I've heard. Also, puff.

Okay, that does it for me. I'm telling zerowing, DM and I would make a super powerful team.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'll bet on them because StrangerDanger and Wolt become very predictable very fast.
You played me in the most unbearable lag i've ever seen. Either you're hurt i quit, or you're thick. Or both. Play me in a match when the attack executes LESS than 10 seconds after i press the button and you'll have the right to call me predictable.

Going with my general avoidance of making predictions and wishing everyone the best of luck.

Sonuis, I actually have your FC added, so as long as you have me added, you can play me any time =D. I look forward to playing you!

GO READ TEAM!

Damn, looks like we're teamed up against a good team from the get-go.
I was also hoping Norfair wouldn't be banned this time around either; me and Tpup were playing on it against team Xtreme Raptor Jesus, and this level suited me and him pretty nicely every time we got it. It isn't that bad. Tpup grabbed the pod, and I shielded. Omni jumped above it, and Mecha held the ledge. I did get to Dthrow Omnifarious when the wave came again, and it killed him while I shielded safely.

I know why you have it banned, but it honestly feels like one of the least crowded 2v2 stages.

So yeah, good luck to everyone in this.
And good luck to the other team.

!!!

TIME TO WAVENUT

makiri

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I decided to go with what stages would be terrible random picks, while I agree Norfair is a good Counterpick, I just have problems with it showing up in the random pick.

I am going to reevaluate the stages again and possibly come to a consensus list with input from other people. At the time of creating the ruleset I did not see any list of banned stages on Smasboards, so I went ahead and just banned the ones I know people really dislike or have no competitive value.

EDIT: If you want to be the third member on a team I'll allow it DM.

I went to the stage legality topic in the stage discussion section and picked out the first list I could find:

<NEUTRAL>
-Battlefield
-Delfino Plaza
-Final Destination
-Frigate Orpheon
-Lylat Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium GCN
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island

<COUNTER PICK>
-Bridge of Eldin
-Brinstar GCN
-Castle Siege
-Corneria GCN
-Distant Planet
-Green Greens GCN
-Green Hill Zone
-Halberd
-Luigi's Mansion
-Mario Circuit
-Norfair
-Onett GCN
-PictoChat
-Pirate Ship
-Rainbow Cruise GCN
-Shadow Moses Island
-Yoshi's Island GCN

<BANNED>
-75m
-Big Blue GCN
-Flat Zone 2
-Hanenbow
-Jungle Japes GCN
-Mario Bros.
-Mushroomy Kingdom
-New Pork City
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Port Town Aero Drive
-Rumble Falls
-Skyworld
-Spear Pillar
-Summit
-Temple GCN
-WarioWare, Inc.
There are some things sort of out of place, in my opinion, but it isn't the worst. SMI should see banned, and maybe Jungle Japes should be dropped down to counterpick. Ah well, it fits for the most part. There was a really good one I remember, but it's undoubtedly buried under the pages of discussion.

You could have all the counter picks that don't fit in the random select as still options of the team counterpicking. You just have to agree on it as a team.

We could also do something like a team would choose a couple of counterpick stages they didnt want to play on, the other team would do the same. So if one team would flat out refuse to play on Norfair, they would have to option of a temporary ban.

5 AURALITHIUM: Mexi-Kade, ~MakutheHowlingVortex~, xc_hawk - Okay, so Maku, who still owes me a battle, has super powerful team abilities or so I've heard. Also, puff.
Hehe...umm...can we just say you're better than me and OVERLOOK the battle I owe you? O_O (...pretty please....) lol

Seriously though, I'm really not sure If I'd ever be able to play in lag like that again. I'm sorry Sonuis! T-T

Anyhoo, those "super powerful team abilities" are the ones displayed when I battle alongside EpiC...who isn't hear atm. Either way, I intend to have fun...as Wolt said! :D

I can't guarantee that I'll live up to your prediction, but I'm very appreciative that you made it! Team Auralithium will do its best! Thanks! ^_^

As for everyone else, good luck and Brawl Speed!!!! ;D

Stage selection will be as follows, first game will be a random choice, second game the loser of the first game selects the stage, and if it goes to a third match it will return to random. So like this:

First game: All players select random
Second game: All players select the stage the loser of the first game wants
Third game: All players select the stage the loser of the second game wants
I'm confused

makiri

Stop discussing what should be banned or not, this is the tournament discussion, to report matches/problems, predict, and trash talk your opponents!! Not "Brawl Stage Ban Discussion"

The stages banned or not banned in this tourney directly affect its participants, so we have plenty reason to state our opinions on it. Especially considering the fact that you said you were going to be revising the list, and having a list the majority of players could agree on would of course be best.

Also, which is it? Third game counterpick? Or third game random? Like Mr.Esc showed, you have it down as both atm =/

makiri

The stages banned or not banned in this tourney directly affect its participants, so we have plenty reason to state our opinions on it. Especially considering the fact that you said you were going to be revising the list, and having a list the majority of players could agree on would of course be best.

Also, which is it? Third game counterpick? Or third game random? Like Mr.Esc showed, you have it down as both atm =/
Now what on earth are you talking about?

If anyone would like to discuss revising the stage ban list, show up to the IRC chatroom tonight at around 8PM PST. I will be taking all input and we will decide one what stages need additional bans. Do not discuss it here, take it to the chatroom at the given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)