ORAS OU Superfriends

SUPER FRIENDS BALANCE
Chesnaught_XY.gif
Tornadus_Therian_Forme_XY.gif
Alakazam_Mega_XY.gif
Manaphy_XY.gif
Heatran_XY.gif
mew.gif

Welcome to my first ever rate my team! It's a rather odd team using the offensive pressure of mega alakazam backed up by defensive troops designed in such a way that no single pokemon could sweep my team alone. It is a balance team, which at this point is practically dead due to the common stall and hyper offensive teams taking over the space in the meta, but I thought I could do something a bit different. It seems to have all of the requirements that a good balance team needs, but it's certainly not perfect. Now remember, this is my first rate my team ever so keep that in mind when your rating this. Without further ado, I introduce the superfriends! But first, teambuilding:
Mega-Alakazam_icon.png
641-s.png

I started out with a basic core of 2 offensive pokemon. I didn't intend on it being a balance team in the first place.
Mega-Alakazam_icon.png
641-s.png
chesnaught_icon_by_nenji_hyuga-d6qv2y3.png

I ended up changing life orb tornadus to assault vest, and added chestnaught for a first wall and physical attacker.
Mega-Alakazam_icon.png
641-s.png
485.png

I added heatran as a wall breaker, because my team couldn't handle stall or mega sableye all by it self.
Mega-Alakazam_icon.png
641-s.png
485.png
poke_icon_manaphy.png

I noticed that my team needed set up, specifically bulky set up and manaphy not only filled that position, it made a fire water grass core.
Mega-Alakazam_icon.png
641-s.png
485.png
poke_icon_manaphy.png
151.png

My team needed a defogger and a special wall, which mew filled the position of in a snap.

Bag_Alakazite_Sprite.png
mega_alakazam_sprite_by_gnomowladny-d7ysaq7.png
Bag_Alakazite_Sprite.png

Alakazam-Mega | Magic Guard
Timid | 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe

Psychic | Shadow Ball | Focus Blast | Substitute
If you play pokemon, you know that this is a threat. It's faster then almost any pokemon in the metagame without boosts or priorety, and it has coverage kill half the pokemon in the meta. Very few things can act as a threat to this guy and with trace it just becomes stronger. It just kills so much and it acts perfect as a pokemon to build a team around, especially a balanced team. It acts as the late game sweeper where it just comes in at the right time and wins games. It could even come in and 6-0 balance and stall teams with substitute stall. The problem is it's frail as hell and I just need the defensive back up provided by the rest of the team. Looking at the team I have quite a few threats and this acts as a 50-50 counter to them or even a revenge killer. A little note before I move on, I will not replace substitute with encore because it ruins the ability to sweep defensive teams and it can only encore status moves, and substitute handles them better as far as I see it.

assaultvest.png
the_best_tornadus_sprite_you__ll_ever_see_by_brokenlullaby200-d50gkit.png
assaultvest.png

Tornadus-Therian | Regenerator
Hasty | 96 HP | 160 SpA | 252 Spe

Hurricane | Superpower | U-turn | Knock Off
This may seem like a strange choice to my team, as it only really counters what my team already counters. The more you use it however the more clear it becomes that I need this. It's fast and bulky (especially with regenerator) which serves as a great fit to my team. It works great with alakazam because it forms a super fast combo, but I still get some bulky from it with this thing. It's also the single provider of u-turn and knock off on my team which is incredibly important. It's a very standard pokemon but it has a great fit on my team, but if there is something better I would love to hear recommendations.

Leftovers.png
chesnaught_sprite_by_kyle_dove-d71f9jz.png
Leftovers.png

Chesnaught | Bulletproof
Impish | 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD

Leech Seed | Drain Punch | Spikes | Wood Hammer
Chesnaught is what forms my fire water grass core, and is my first physical wall. Leech seed is yet another wall breaker and drain punch is another form of regeneration. It's like I don't even need recovery. In fact, I don't! Spikes is also a fun way of destroying tyranitar and heatran, which are generally threats to my team. I also have bullet proof which helps me stop poison types in there tracks. This also has wood hammer to destroy bulky water types that are otherwise threats to my team.

Leftovers.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 4.21.05 PM.png
Leftovers.png

Heatran | Flash Fire
Timid | 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Magma Storm
| Earth Power | Taunt | Toxic
Hetran is the wallbreaker of my team. Without it, my team is utterly destroyed by stall. Mega sableye would demolish my team in every way without this and it just works really well with the team in general. The ability to trap things with magma storm is very powerful. My team works great when other pokemon are trapped. Say for example if a pokemon switches in while I magma storm I could switch into another pokemon and set up or even get ready to sweep with the single team. And earth power + magma storm creates coverage that helps out my team just right. Ground is needed on almost every team and this is the suply of the coverage.

Leftovers.png
manaphy.png
Leftovers.png

Manaphy | Hydration
Bold | 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
Rain Dance
| Scald | Rest | Calm Mind
Now I know what you where thinking when you saw manaphy was on my team. You thought I was the tail glow set didn't you? Well not today! As you could tell, a lot of things completely wall my team, and what stops walls? Set up! of corse, tail glow would work, but I needed another defensive set. Hydration and rain make for one hard to break wall. Calm mind and 252 defense as well as the re-assurence of rest + hydration makes for one hard to break wall! It tends to beat a lot of things that threaten my team. With my team, it's just easier to set up with then tail glow, and I don't even need tail glow set up. I needed bulky set up and this was the perfect choice! Trust me on this, it really works well!

Leftovers.png
mew.png
Leftovers.png

Mew | Synchronize
Calm | 252 HP | 224 SpD | 32 Spe

Defog | Soft-Boiled | Will-O-Wisp | Psychic
Mew, while not the greatest defogger of all time, is a requirement for my team at this point. If I where to replace this, I would have to replace something els to make it a better fit. Will-O-Wisp really helps with the whole defensive feel of the team. The reason I have it is because it uses defog but nothing els works quite as well. There might be another option, but I don't see any other option. If there is one, please tell me because mew just doesn't work all that well other then a defogger.

Conclusion
So that was the team! It might not be the best team out there, but it's my first team and for the first post I think I did a pretty good job! Let me know what you think. Oh! Also, heres an importable version of my team: http://pastebin.com/sjsXQByZ Have a nice day! <3

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Hey man, nice team you have there. The Chesnaught+Heatran defensive core is something I've used in the past that was pretty effective. I feel like the biggest threat to the team is Mega Pinsir. Mega Pinsir, when Stealth Rock is up, OHKOes every single Pokemon on your team at +2. Not only does it find setup opportunities vs Chesnaught, but it can use its ability to threaten out Pokemon with its coverage moves to its advantage. For example, Pinsir OHKOes Stallbreaker Heatran with Close Combat, and as a result, your opponent can take advantage of this calc by predicting you to switch out and set up the Swords Dance, thus sealing the game. Suicune can also be an issue, especially the Calm Mind+Roar set, as it is practically invincible because it beats your CM Water Type sweeper Manaphy 1v1. Your only way of dealing with it is hoping Chesnaught doesn't get burnt by Scald 4-5 times and getting decent rolls with Wood Hammer. Belly Drum Azumarill is another threat to the team, because your Water resist, Chesnaught, runs less speed than the Standard BD spread and OHKOed by +6 Play Rough. In addition, Mew has a chance of being OHKOed by +6 Aqua Jet after Stealth Rock. Furthermore, it finds setup opportunities vs Tornadus-T, Manaphy, and Heatran(depending on what you choose: Taunt or Switch out).

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 261-307 (80.8 - 95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 357-420 (88.3 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 284-336 (87.9 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 318-375 (78.7 - 92.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

My first suggestion will be Tyranitar>Mew. Scarf Tyranitar plays a similar role for this team like Mew, being a Kyurem-B check. In addition, Tyranitar is a more reliable check to Specially Defensive Talonflame, which you need one since outside of Manaphy, you don't have a lot for it. Furthermore, Chesnaught, Manaphy, and Heatran all appreciate the Lati-Twins Pursuit-Trapped. In addition, your team could use another +2 Bisharp check, as Scarf Tyranitar outspeeds it and OHKOes with Superpower. Finally, unlike Mew, Scarf Tyranitar outright checks Mega Pinsir, taking a +2 Quick Attack with ease and OHKOing it in return with Stone Edge.

Next, I think Tail Glow Rain Dance on Manaphy is the better set for this team. Outside of Magma Storm Heatran, you don't have a lot that can do much stall, and TG+RD Manaphy is a great stallbreaker, because with its Hydration ability, it is unaffected by Chansey's Toxic in the Rain and can set up on it easily and put a dent on your opponent's defensive oriented team(in this situation). Furthermore, with Energy Ball as the last move on this set, along with TG, RD, and Scald, you'll be able to check Calm Mind+Roar Suicune a lot better, since +3 Energy Ball does a ton of damage to +1 Spdef Suicune. In addition, I feel like having Manaphy as your only real way of dealing with Suicune isn't great, which is why I'm going to suggest Encore>Substitute on Alakazam. This provides great utility
by locking Suicune into Calm Mind, therefore forcing your opponent to switch out.

+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 59-70 (17.3 - 20.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 242-286 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I suggest running 64 Speed EVs on Chesnaught so you can outspeed Belly Drum Azumarill, which hits about 177 Speed to outspeed Skarmories.

Lastly, with the Tyranitar change, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria becomes a huge threat, as the only way to deal with it is with Mega Alakazam, since you outspeed it at +1 and can Encore it if the last move your opponent went for was Dragon Dance. But apart from that, you pretty much get swept. This is why I'm going to suggest Air Balloon>Leftovers and Flash Cannon>Toxic on Heatran so you become immune to Mega Altaria's Earthquake until it pops it with a 4 times resisted Fairy STAB, and can retaliate back with a STAB super effective Flash Cannon.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Pursuit

CONCLUSION
I was testing the new team on the ladder and with my friends and overall it worked out pretty well. Unfortunately, I noticed a few things. Weavile was pretty annoying to deal with because of its STABs and its fighting coverage. Life Orb/AV Tornadus-T was also a pain to deal with because of all the coverage moves it has access to. Dragon Dance Mega Altaria with Earthquake 6-0ed me as well. Here are a couple of alternatives you can use.
OTHER OPTIONS

• Chople Berry>Air Balloon on Heatran takes Weavile's Low Kick and can OHKO back with a Flash Cannon. The drawback on using this set is that you have to play a lot more aggressive to prevent Mega Altaria from sweeping you, making double switches so it doesn't get up a Dragon Dance or two.
  • Psyshock>Psychic on Alakazam allows it to 2HKO Tornadus-T on the switch since Psyshock damage is based on the target's Physical Defense, thus ignoring the Assault Vest boost.
Shoutouts: Scyther NO Swiping Happen Mars Lowell for testing with me

Good luck man! :]

Hey man, nice team you have there. The Chesnaught+Heatran defensive core is something I've used in the past that was pretty effective. I feel like the biggest threat to the team is Mega Pinsir. Mega Pinsir, when Stealth Rock is up, OHKOes every single Pokemon on your team at +2. Not only does it find setup opportunities vs Chesnaught, but it can use its ability to threaten out Pokemon with its coverage moves to its advantage. For example, Pinsir OHKOes Stallbreaker Heatran with Close Combat, and as a result, your opponent can take advantage of this calc by predicting you to switch out and set up the Swords Dance, thus sealing the game. Suicune can also be an issue, especially the Calm Mind+Roar set, as it is practically invincible because it beats your CM Water Type sweeper Manaphy 1v1. Your only way of dealing with it is hoping Chesnaught doesn't get burnt by Scald 4-5 times and getting decent rolls with Wood Hammer. Belly Drum Azumarill is another threat to the team, because your Water resist, Chesnaught, runs less speed than the Standard BD spread and OHKOed by +6 Play Rough. In addition, Mew has a chance of being OHKOed by +6 Aqua Jet after Stealth Rock. Furthermore, it finds setup opportunities vs Tornadus-T, Manaphy, and Heatran(depending on what you choose: Taunt or Switch out).

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 261-307 (80.8 - 95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 357-420 (88.3 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 284-336 (87.9 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 318-375 (78.7 - 92.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

My first suggestion will be Tyranitar>Mew. Scarf Tyranitar plays a similar role for this team like Mew, being a Kyurem-B check. In addition, Tyranitar is a more reliable check to Specially Defensive Talonflame, which you need one since outside of Manaphy, you don't have a lot for it. Furthermore, Chesnaught, Manaphy, and Heatran all appreciate the Lati-Twins Pursuit-Trapped. In addition, your team could use another +2 Bisharp check, as Scarf Tyranitar outspeeds it and OHKOes with Superpower. Finally, unlike Mew, Scarf Tyranitar outright checks Mega Pinsir, taking a +2 Quick Attack with ease and OHKOing it in return with Stone Edge.

Next, I think Tail Glow Rain Dance on Manaphy is the better set for this team. Outside of Magma Storm Heatran, you don't have a lot that can do much stall, and TG+RD Manaphy is a great stallbreaker, because with its Hydration ability, it is unaffected by Chansey's Toxic in the Rain and can set up on it easily and put a dent on your opponent's defensive oriented team(in this situation). Furthermore, with Energy Ball as the last move on this set, along with TG, RD, and Scald, you'll be able to check Calm Mind+Roar Suicune a lot better, since +3 Energy Ball does a ton of damage to +1 Spdef Suicune. In addition, I feel like having Manaphy as your only real way of dealing with Suicune isn't great, which is why I'm going to suggest Encore>Substitute on Alakazam. This provides great utility
by locking Suicune into Calm Mind, therefore forcing your opponent to switch out.

+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 59-70 (17.3 - 20.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 242-286 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I suggest running 64 Speed EVs on Chesnaught so you can outspeed Belly Drum Azumarill, which hits about 177 Speed to outspeed Skarmories.

Lastly, with the Tyranitar change, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria becomes a huge threat, as the only way to deal with it is with Mega Alakazam, since you outspeed it at +1 and can Encore it if the last move your opponent went for was Dragon Dance. But apart from that, you pretty much get swept. This is why I'm going to suggest Air Balloon>Leftovers and Flash Cannon>Toxic on Heatran so you become immune to Mega Altaria's Earthquake until it pops it with a 4 times resisted Fairy STAB, and can retaliate back with a STAB super effective Flash Cannon.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Pursuit

CONCLUSION
I was testing the new team on the ladder and with my friends and overall it worked out pretty well. Unfortunately, I noticed a few things. Weavile was pretty annoying to deal with because of its STABs and its fighting coverage. Life Orb/AV Tornadus-T was also a pain to deal with because of all the coverage moves it has access to. Dragon Dance Mega Altaria with Earthquake 6-0ed me as well. Here are a couple of alternatives you can use.
OTHER OPTIONS

• Chople Berry>Air Balloon on Heatran takes Weavile's Low Kick and can OHKO back with a Flash Cannon. The drawback on using this set is that you have to play a lot more aggressive to prevent Mega Altaria from sweeping you, making double switches so it doesn't get up a Dragon Dance or two.
  • Psyshock>Psychic on Alakazam allows it to 2HKO Tornadus-T on the switch since Psyshock damage is based on the target's Physical Defense, thus ignoring the Assault Vest boost.
Shoutouts: Scyther NO Swiping Happen Mars Lowell for testing with me

Good luck man! :]
Alright from the looks of it there are a few problems I see. For one, I have no defogger now, and I may not be too effected by hazards, but it's always important to have hazard control. Secondly, i'm a whole lot weaker to the burn effect, specifically rotom-wash since I really have no switch ins. I would need a healer. Togekiss works as both a defogger and a cleric, but I don't know where to fit it in. If somebody could help with that and find another way to counter mega pinser that would be great. Speaking of mega pinsir, I still don't have too much of a reliable counter. Stone edge only hits 20% of the time so it's not reliable at all, and if it has close combat heatran dies to it at +2 even with the air baloon. Thank you for helping anyways! :)

EDIT: I did a bit of digging and concluded that zapdos serves as a reliable counter to mega pinsir, and a defogger and would work great on this team! I am currently running it over mew as the default specially defensive set found here.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)