SM Ubers Supernatural Weather: First Sun and Moon Ubers Team

How's it going, RMT? Cobalt314 is back with yet another Ubers team, this time facing off in a brand new generation. Naturally, I just had to create a brand new Ubers team, as is customary of me after the release of a new set of Pokémon games, so why not take the grace period before the release of Pokémon Bank to try a few things out. I have put great dedication to creating, testing, and perfecting the team, but I feel that there is much more that could be done to improve it. I will go over my teambuilding process, what I considered but did not use, and finally a full breakdown of what is currently on my team. Without further ado, I present to you: [some creative title for the team I am about to present to you]

At a Glance:

To start out my team, I naturally had to include my favorite Pokémon in the tier, as I always do.

Primal Groudon is everywhere, so why not use it as well?

I also enjoy using Arceus-Ghost to deal considerable damage to everything after a Swords Dance, and with the new Ghostium Z, what better a metagame to let it shine?

After deciding these three Pokémon, I looked for what could synergize well with them. Primal Kyogre immediately came to mind as a much more powerful threat given the lack of the Eon Duo.

I considered putting Giratina-O on my team to help deal with hazards, and then Zygarde-C as a filler stall/setup Pokémon.

This however, proved to be unsuccessful in a number of matchups, and I ultimately decided against it. I also considered Mega Salamence, Xerneas, Solgaleo, and Z-Heal Block Palkia at various stages of teambuilding, but none of those were particularly pleasing either. I even tried to go with suicide leads in Cloyster and Excadrill to set up additional hazards as well as clearing our own, but ultimately they did not achieve the goals I wanted them to. Ferrothorn was also an interesting contender, but ultimately didn't fare well with the rest of the team I put together. Here were some of the pairings I ran with at various points in time:

Finally, I decided to try out Pokémon I've never used before, and I found great utility from Yveltal and Scarf Lunala. Even though the team had no way of clearing hazards, most of the time it didn't really matter. So, this is what the team is now:

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Force
- Brick Break
- Recover

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Rash Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

In-Depth Analyses:

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off
- Superpower

I've been using Deoxys-A for over four years now. I've written both of its most recent analyses, and I know exactly how it works and how to unleash its full potential. This set is what I have always been running, and I have seen its effectiveness time and again. Psycho Boost will always be Psycho Boost, Extreme Speed is still the strongest priority move not limited to one Pokémon, and Knock Off will forever be great at crippling item-reliant Pokémon. I would run Dark Pulse as a move that works off of its stronger Special Attack, were it not for the fact that Knocking off a Power Herb from Xerneas as it tries to set up and finishing it off afterward is simply too entertaining to pass up. Superpower is meant to dish out consistently strong Fighting-type damage, and its stat drop recoil is nothing new for Deoxys-A. Life Orb for consistent damage boost, Rash for Psycho Boost boost, 252 SpA/Spe so that Psycho Boost goes as soon as possible and hits as hard as possible; the set details are rather self-explanatory.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

The red behemoth returns in Sun and Moon, doing pretty much what it's always been doing. This set is taken straight from Fireburn's analysis, and it works really well at that. My team needed a Stealth Rock setter, so I went with the Offensive Stealth Rock set. Precipice Blades and Fire Punch are strong physical STAB moves that work well with Groudon's high Attack stat. In the last slot, I found the most utility out of Rock Tomb, which helps slow down faster threats, or just slow down any Pokémon that are predicted to switch in. This gives some speed control to my team, so that some of my other sweepers can get in and finish off with little hindrance.

Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Force
- Brick Break
- Recover

With Ghostium Z, Arceus-Ghost goes from strong physical sweeper to even stronger physical Sweeper. After a Swords Dance, Never-Ending Nightmare is able to OHKO opposing Yveltal after Stealth Rock damage, and for those newer to the metagame, it's always fun to give them a first-hand experience of it. Brick Break is regrettably the only Physical Fighting-type coverage Arceus-Ghost gets, but it is notable for taking out a +4 Def Smeargle on Baton Pass teams, with no need for Swords Dance. As Arceus-Ghost now has a strong, single-turn STAB move, it can afford to run other things like Recover to prolong its field time and sweep time. Max Speed is to ensure it does not have to go after other Arceus, and 252 Atk EVs ensure it hits for as much damage as possible.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Def
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

After the Soul Dew nerf, Kyogre has become a much more used Pokémon, capable of dealing consistent, powerful damage. I chose to run with a Calm Mind set, as that is what I have always used and what I'm most comfortable with. Origin Pulse and Thunder are almost obligatory moves, and Ice Beam is a consistent Ice-type move that is notable for hitting primal Groudon for great damage after a Calm Mind boost. The EVs and nature are meant to maximize its bulk and power, and the last 8 EVs go to Defense to better tank physical hits.

[Placeholder Lunala .gif until the anime makes a good one]

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Lunala is an excellent Choice Scarf user, thanks to its Shadow Shield and offensive coverage. Moongeist Beam is extremely spammable, Psyshock hits Specially Defensive Pokémon especially hard, Ice Beam nabs 4x Ice-weak Dragons and Yveltal, and Focus Blast deals tremendous damage to things like Extreme Killer. I enjoy using Scarf Lunala because it can take out unsuspecting glass cannons like Mega Gengar that would normally outspeed it, and it is an excellent revenge killer thanks to Shadow Shield and immunity to Extreme Speed. I was initially hesitant adding in Lunala due to its typing, but with the vast number of Psychics and Ghosts running around the tier, it will be almost inevitable to have a bunch of them on a team, so I might as well use a strong one if I can.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Rash Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch

I've never used Yveltal before, simply because I don't usually use the mascots of the other game (I played through X), but after using it, I finally understand the hype behind it. Dark Aura-boosted Dark Pulses and Sucker Punches are nothing to scoff at, and combined with Oblivion Wing, it is possible to completely knock out a Xerneas that tries to switch in and set up a Geomancy. Foul Play is the last move to nab physical sweepers that try to set up Dragon Dances or Swords Dances. The EVs and nature are taken from its ΩRAS analysis, as I have not had much experience with it, and they seem to work out fine.

Main Weaknesses to the team:
  • Entry Hazards: this team has no way to clear entry hazards. I haven't found that to be problematic yet, but accumulating residual damage and a broken Shadow Shield are certain to be detrimental to its future. The rare Sticky Web will also be a nuisance, as 5/6 Pokémon are grounded and unable to regain their speed.
  • Xerneas: even though the team has numerous means to deal with Geomancy Xerneas, it is the Choice Scarf variant that will be most problematic. After Primal Groudon falls, Deoxys will be unable to outspeed it, Lunala will be unable to 2HKO, and if Primal Kyogre is sufficiently weakened, my entire team can't really do anything about it.
  • Yveltal: Nothing on my team can really take on opposing Yveltal one-on-one except for Lunala, which isn't really a guaranteed matchup, and my own Yveltal, whose success rate largely depends on what the opponent is running.
  • More to come as I recall them
—————————
And that's my team at a glance. I will keep everything except for the weaknesses section and the Lunala .gif unedited, as I would like to see how different people would rate the same original team. After about 2-3 different rates and suggestions, I will make a new comment below with the updated team. Feel free to suggest any changes you see fit, whether they're as small as the movement of 4 EVs or as big as scrapping half of my team. I welcome all feedback, and will try out any and all recommendations I get.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
I'm honestly unsure how you prevent Defog from a Giratina-O, because of this I'd consider running SD over Rock Tomb. +2 Fire Punch has a decent chance of KOing Gira-O, and by predicting it to switch in a few times can knock it into range. Alternatively, Stone Edge over Fire Punch gives EdgeQuake coverage and hits Gira-O harder. I'd not bother with Rock Tomb though.

With Ghostceus I'd consider running ExtremeSpeed over Recover, to help out if you encounter things like Low Health Yveltal, Deo-A, and other similar attackers. With how offensive the Gen currently is, I'd say Recover wont get as much use. Also helps with Scarf Xern.

I like some speed on my CM Kyogres, so I can reliably outspeed stuff like Support Pdon et al. I'm probably a little bit insane on Speed Creep, but I'd probably go somewhere along the lines of 80 or so, to outspeed most of the Pdon's you'll run into.

Finally, Yveltal, I feel the ORAS analysis is a fair bit outdated, stuff like living Salamence's +1 Return after rocks for example, ignores both the aerialate nerf and the rarity of Return as opposed to Double Edge/Facade. I feel like simply chucking the HP EVs into Speed will help you more, outspeeding fast neutral primals like Ho-Oh, and outspeeding neutral nature solgaleo and Lunala with a spread of 20 attack, 252 Spa and 240 speed. With Yveltal in this meta, speed is more important than bulk in my opinion, you want it to nuke stuff hard and fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)