Surprisingly Efficient Team

After a long break from pokemon, I was really excited to see the huge changes in the NU metagame. The unbanning of Jynx, the banning of Amoongus(thank god), and new dropdowns were welcome changes to the tier. This is a team that I threw together that somehow won me a lot of games so I decided to share it.

The team:

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
Moves:
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb/Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Cacturne isn't the star of the team, but it does work... sometimes. Honestly, this set suffers greatly from four moveslot syndrome because it needs drain punch for steel types and seed bomb for STAB. This set either ends up being useless or it sweeps the other team. The EVs are fairly standard. They are meant to maximize power and speed. The goal of the set is to come in on a defensive grass or water type and proceed to set up. With a sucker punch almost as strong as Absol's, most faster offensive pokemon will be KO'd by it. If you predict that a faster opponent will use a non-attacking move, set up a sub or deal massive damage with seed bomb/drain punch.

Basculin @ Life Orb
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SAtk / 152 Spd / 104 Atk
Rash Nature
Moves:
- Aqua Jet
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Superpower
- Surf
- Ice Beam

You might be thinking, "Why the hell would you use a mixed Basculin?" The answer is that it is one of the lures in the tier. If the opponent thinks of sending in the usual Basculin counters then they have another thing coming.
Statistics:
252+ SpA Life Orb Basculin Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola: 294-346 (55.05 - 64.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Basculin Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 286-338 (85.88 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Basculin Hidden Power Grass vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 374-442 (93.26 - 110.22%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Basculin Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 182-216 (51.55 - 61.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Basculin Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 494-582 (125.38 - 147.71%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Basculin Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Eviolite Shelgon: 239-283 (71.55 - 84.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The EVs are to out-speed neutral natured 252 Spd base 85's that run around in NU currently. This set is meant to weaken the opponents team and get rid of physical walls. It's also funny when the opponent thinks that the set is 100% special and is smacked with a still decently powered aqua jet. As a side note, HP Grass can be substituted with Superpower to deal with bulky normals that will switch in once the opponent realizes the set is special.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
Moves:
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

I think that Gurdurr is one of the most underrated fighting types in the tier. Its impressive bulk further enhanced by eviolite and cool base 105 attack stat make Gurdurr great. Guts is the ability because people LOVE to status gurdurr for some reason (especially burn). The EVs are meant to maximize bulk and power. I decided to opp out of the Bulk up set because it doesn't have the time to set up with the current fast paced metagame. This set is great because pokemon that love to switch into it are usually bulky eviolite pokemon and knock off makes them easier to kill.

Electabuzz @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

When looking at this team, I thought it needed a choice scarf user to get rid of the biggest threat to this team - Charizard. Electabuzz is both faster and can OHKO it without rocks. The EVs are meant to make electabuzz as powerful as it can be. As an added bonus, Vital Spirit lets it come in on sleep inducing moves for free. Nothing much else to say, it's a generic choice scarf user, so moving on.

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Metang is a great wall in the NU tier. Walling such top-tier threats such as jynx, sawk, and musharna.
This set is the Smogon Utility set, and it works surprisingly well in the current meta. Metang is also a critical member on the team because it is the only thing that is a wall, and it sets up hazards. Also, it is the only thing that has a status inducing move on the team.

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sub-split rotom is a monster. Nothing on my team except Cacturne is supposed to sweep the opponent but for some reason, this thing sweeps quite often. Its high SAtk stat and just enough speed help it get past many threats in the tier. The Evs are meant to let it outspeed threats while maximizing power. Also, no HP EVs becuase it lets rotom live after 10 life orb recoils. I wanted to use this set after using the Sub-split Rotom-W in OU that wrecked opposing teams. Hidden power ice is used over blizzard because accuracy and landing the Ice STAB is often critical in games.

Importable:
Cacturne @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute

Basculin @ Life Orb
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SAtk / 152 Spd / 104 Atk
Rash Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Electabuzz @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Threat List:
Not a threat- threat
Threat - threat
Huge threat - threat

Altaria: Metang walls it completely.
Amphoros: The Choice specs set does a lot of damage to my team. Metang can take a hit and retaliate with EQ.
Arbok: Metang
Armaldo: In the rain, it's a threat but otherwise both Metang and Gurdurr can deal with it.
Articuno: If it runs HP Ground its a threat, otherwise, METANG
Beheeyem: Cacturne destroys this thing.
Braviary: Metang walls it completely.
Butterfree: Electabuzz can tank a hit and KO. Also, Metang.
Cacturne: Metang, again...
Camerupt: If it gets a rock polish off it can rip holes through my team, but thankfully it gets destroyed by Basculin.
Carracosta: Gurdurr and Metang can tank a hit and retaliate.
Charizard: Destroys everything on my team. Have to revenge with either Basculin or Electabuzz
Combusken: If it gets a lot of boosts the special set will deal heavy damage to my team. The physical set is handled by Gurdurr.
Ditto: Only Cacturne sets up and Cacturne could probably beat it one on one anyways.
Drifblim: Metang
Duosion: Metang and sets lacking signal beam, Cacturne
Eelektross: Physical sets are easily handled but special sets are dangerous. I just hit it with everything I got.
Electabuzz: Lots of priority on my team and can try to speed tie with my own Electabuzz.
Electrode: Lots of priority and Metang.
Exeggutor: Metang
Floatzel: Can switch in Cacturne on obvious water move and also, Gurdurr + Metang core.
Fraxure: It can't touch Metang.
Gardevoir: Metang walls it completely.
Gigalith: Offensive Gigalith is a thing? Still not a problem for Gurdurr.
Glaceon: Metang and Rotom-F can tank a hit and retaliate.
Golem: Gurdurr FTW!
Golurk: CB set can potentially KO everything except for Gurdurr. Good thing it's slow.
Gorebyss: Never has a good chance to smash and Electabuzz revenge kills it after a smash anyways.
Haunter: Metang and the large amounts of priority on my team handle it well.
Huntail: Metang, noticing a trend?
Jumpluff: Electabuzz is a perfect counter.
Jynx: Metang and priority. Electabuzz for sweet kiss.
Kadabra: Sash is annoying but Metang can wall it anyways.
Kangaskan: Metang or Gurdurr
Klang: Gurdurr or Metang but preferably Gurdurr.
Leafeon: Metang takes nothing from its hits and toxic stall it to death.
Lickilicky: Gurdurr
Liepard: It's annoying but unless I'm REALLY unlucky, Gurdurr can handle it.
Linoone: Gurdurr and Metang can both take a +6 Espeed. It never gets the chance to set up anyways.
Ludicolo: Have to stall out rain turns than try to hit with everything I have.
Mantine: Never faced offensive Mantine with this team but I would probably have to Toxic stall with Metang.
Marowak: Gurdurr tanks it.
Masquerain: Can't do anything to Metang.
Mawile: Gurdurr walls it completely.
Miltank: Gurdurr destroys it.
Misdreavus: Offensive Misdreavus don't take hits very will and Metang could wall it.
Musharna: Sets with Heal bell are countered by Cacturne. Sets with out it are walled by Metang.
Ninjask: Everything on the team can break its sub so its not a problem. CB sets are rare and Metang walls those:
Pinsir: If Metang is low I have to rely on priority and Electabuzz.
Primape: Gurdurr and Metang all day.
Raichu: Not powerful or fast enough to be threatening... Metang.
Rampardos: Gurdurr can take everything except a CB zen headbutt and KO back.
Rapidash: Gurdurr tanks hits and can heavily injure it also, Basculin can revenge kill.
Relicanth: Can't set up against anything on my team.
Rotom-F: Walled by both Rotom-F and Metang. Can always revenge with Electabuzz and gurdurr.
Rotom-S: Walled by both Rotom-F and Metang.
Samurott: Metang and Gurdurr.
Sawk: Gurdurr can tank a hit and deal massive damage to it.
Sawsbuck: Gurdurr
Scolipede: Metang shuts it down.
Seismitoad: If rain is up it is scary other wise basculin KO's it
Serperior: Metang and maybe even Cacturne can counter it.
Slaking: Gurdurr can take everything except a giga impact from the CB set and retalitate.
Skuntank: Metang and Gurdurr both counter it.
Swanna: If rain is up it rips holes through my team. Can always revenge with Electabuzz.
Swellow: Any Steel or Rock type walls this thing.
Swoobat: Metang takes nothing from Swoobat.
Tauros: Have to rely on priority and Electabuzz to take it out.
Torterra: Gurdurr can tank it and OHKO with ice punch.
Torkoal: Can't really set up and if it did it is easily revenge killed.
Ursaring: Guts variants are scary even with Metang but usually Gurdurr can handle it.
Victreebel: Under the sun it is very scary. Otherwise Metang and revenged by Electabuzz.
Vigoroth: Gurdurr can knock off eviolite and destroy it with drain punch.
Volbeat: Really anoying but not a threat to anything.
Zangoose: Gurdurr and Metang, Yeah!
Zebstrika: Scarf set not powerfull enough and Specs set not fast enough.
Zwellious: Gurdurr demolishes it.
NU Defensive Threats
Alomomola: Set up fodder for Cacturne, and Electabuzz and Rotom-F destroy it.
Altaria: Basculin and Rotom-F heavily damage it if not KO it, and Gurdurr will wreck any SDef sets.
Articuno: Surprisingly, Metang is probably the best answer for it.
Audino: No offensive presence, no threat. Gurdurr easily handles it. Can potentially be set up fodder for Cacturne.
Bastiodon: Gurdurr and Basculin heavily dent this.
Carracosta: Easily OHKO'd by 2/3 of the team, but no safe switch in. The other third can stall it to death.
Camerupt: Basculin.
Cradily: Never faced it with this team but Gurdurr has a nice match up with it.
Exeggutor: So annoying but Cacturne completely walls sets with Psychic.
Flareon: Gurdurr and Basculin match up well against it.
Frillish: Gets eviolite knocked off with Gurdurr and gets hit with massive damage by everything except Metang.
Garbador: Lack of recovery hurts it but it doesn't take special hits to well anyways.
Golbat: Is a lured in by basculin where it is promptly 2HKO'd.
Gurdurr: Have to knock off its eviolite with Gurdurr and as a last resort, toxic it.
Grumpig: Has horrible Def stat so it's no problem.
Lapras: It's a threat because of its decent attacking stats, but gets hit hard by a lot on the team.
Lairon: Gurdurr and Basculin hurt it badly.
Lickilicky: Really annoying but Gurdurr handles it and Metang can Toxic stall variants without heal bell.
Mawile: Hit super effectively by most of my physical attackers and is OHKO'd by all of my special attackers.(including Basculin)
Mandibuzz: Got to Toxic it to death with Metang other wise catch it on the switch with Rotom-f or Electabuzz.
Miltank: Same as lickilicky
Misdreavus: Variants without heal bell are toxic stalled by Metang and Gurdurr can knock off its eviolite.
Musharna: Same as offensive Musharna
Piloswine: Gurdurr is an awesome counter and Basculin can OHKO it.
Probopass: Same as the other Rock/Steel types on the list.
Regice: Gurdurr, Metang, and Rotom-F can all take it down.
Regirock: Everything on the team is a threat to it.
Seismitoad: Mixed Basculin so good.
Shelgon: Mixed Basculin lures this well and also gurdurr can knock off its eviolite.
Tangela: Mixed Basculin again and can always go into electabuzz.
Torterra: Mixed Basculin.
Throh: So happy this thing is very rare else it can potentially take on most of my team.
Torkoal: Everything with a special attack on my team.
Vileplume: Electabuzz works great against this thing.
Wartortle: Depending on the set, it can be setup fodder for Cacturne, otherwise any special attacker can deal with it.

Also here is my record with the team:
Showdown .png

It has about a 3 W/L ratio so the team is not that bad, and I'm not the best NU player to begin with.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey bud.

Just a short note, Amoonguss wasn't banned (it moved up by usage), and I didn't see any of the recent Pokemon that moved down on to the NU tier on your listed threat list. They are Primeape, Jynx, Munchlax, Scolipede, and Mandibuzz. So that's the current metagame that I will base this rate on.

Anyhow, one thing that I've noticed right off the bat (outside of the mentioned Charizard weakness) is the overall vulnerability this team has against Fighting-types. Sawk and Gurdurr are significant concerns in this case, especially the former, since your entire team is devastated by Choice Banded Close Combat and Earthquake. Gurdurr and Metang can only take one hit each, and Sawk has opportunities to come in numerous times since you only have Stealth Rock to wear it down. Nothing can really respond to it well outside of Sawk matching up with a health Gurdurr or Metang who can only retaliate after it attacks, which is an unlikely situation against a smart player; otherwise you have to rely on revenge killing. Gurdurr is also a problem as it can overpower your team because of Bulk Up alongside Drain Punch's recovery; there is also the fact that Bulk Up variants can beat your Knock Off variant, despite disliking the loss of its Eviolite. I think that a good suggestion for you would be to replace Cacturne with Calm Mind Musharna. Aside from Musharna's defensive benefits for your team, I don't really find Cacturne to provide much of anything towards your team due its reliance of Sucker Punch. It just seems like an average setup sweeper that serves little purpose outside of that, and isn't particularly all that effective in this metagame unless it can safely set up both a Substitute and Swords Dance. Musharna provides a similar win condition as a set up sweeper with Calm Mind, while also being able to counter Fighting-types with its great bulk. Musharna is also able to set up on a lot of Pokemon that Gurdurr cannot handle without the usage of Bulk Up, while it in return is able to take on Mandibuzz pretty well.

Regarding your current Basculin set, I don't really find the idea behind it to be all that convincing over many other options for an offensive Water-type because of it not being able to use its options particularly to stellar effect outside of its STAB options due to Basculin's reliance on Adaptability. This set is also unable to out-speed base 95 Speed offensive threats, while having no good way of getting past Jynx. Because of all of these, I find that a more efficient for a Water-type (that can also take on Charizard) would be Samurott due to its significantly higher bulk and ablility to act as a win condition with its Swords Dance set. It also has decent priority to make up for losing Cacturne, benefits from Musharna's ability to set up on certain physical walls, and can make good use of its coverage between Megahorn's high base power and Lum Berry's one-time defense against status, particularly useful for taking Jynx's Lovely Kiss.

If you have previously found Cacturne's Water Absorb to be useful for combating Swift Swim sweepers (which forces them to use their coverage move), you can also try Choice Scarf Jynx as your revenge killer over Electabuzz. Dry Skin, along with Jynx's typing resisting a majority of coverage moves from offensive Water-types, is really useful to handle such Rain sweepers; its utility of Lovely Kiss and Trick also allows you to cripple a lot of defensive Pokemon on the process. I don't find Electabuzz to particularly stand out for the team, as Electric moves are hindered by common Ground and Grass-types (And Electric-immune Pokemon such as Raichu). Jynx covers most fast threats that even ELectabuzz cannot handle well, notably Carracosta and Serperior.

On a less urgent matter, I also think that you should run Bullet Punch on Metang to hit Jynx for massive damage (and OHKO it after Stealth Rock damage) before it can put you to sleep with Lovely Kiss. I don't think you really need Earthquake outside of hitting opposing Metang, which is dealt by Gurdurr or Samurott very well. While your team isn't terribly weak to Jynx with Gurdurr and Metang together, Metang is really your main Jynx counter so it should act like one.

Hope I helped.

Suggested changes:
Metang: Bullet Punch > Earthquake

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Razor Shell
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)