Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
I sincerely hope that the only big changes are Weavile getting Triple Axel and Knock Off, and Tyranitar getting Pursuit again. Rillaboom being able to spam its own terrain boosted priority attack with stab is actual bonkers and shouldnt have happened in swsh either, while toxic and scald were much better off as limited distribution moves, and Dragapult would be too busted with Poltergeist in its pocket.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
I sincerely hope that the only big changes are Weavile getting Triple Axel and Knock Off, and Tyranitar getting Pursuit again. Rillaboom being able to spam its own terrain boosted priority attack with stab is actual bonkers and shouldnt have happened in swsh either, while toxic and scald were much better off as limited distribution moves, and Dragapult would be too busted with Poltergeist in its pocket.
Just thinking about Gen 9 Rillaboom with Grassy Slide is terrifying.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
glide got nerfed to 60bp tho. It's gonna be a lot worse than it was last gen
I can definitely agree with that, but with Grass type STAB, priority, and (I think) Grassy Terrain, Grassy Slide being reduce to 60 BP really doesn't matter. Then, as unconventional as this sounds, imagine Rillaboom with Leftovers and Leech Seed. That's a problem.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Thats before the 50% terrain boost and STAB. What was 60 BP is 90 from Stab, and assuming the math is right, 135 BP after all is done its no longer 50% its 30 as woodgoldtwo pointed out. 90*1.3 is what, 117? It's a hell of a move that Rillaboom gets priority on, and its only saving grace is that grass type is a shit type in the modern meta. Still, Rillaboom gets free healing, and can prevent Electric Terrain plans from working, so unless theory doesnt translate well to actual play I think rillaboom is fucking nutty. Not top 3, but easily top 15 if the cards are played right

Last edited:
Thats before the 50% terrain boost and STAB. What was 60 BP is 90 from Stab, and assuming the math is right, 135 BP after all is done. It's a monster of a move that Rillaboom gets priority on, and its only saving grace is that grass type is a shit type in the modern meta. Still, Rillaboom gets free healing, and can prevent Electric Terrain plans from working, so unless theory doesnt translate well to actual play I think rillaboom is fucking nutty. Not top 3, but easily top 15 if the cards are played right
Terrains only give a 30% boost since gen 8

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide (70 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant in Grassy Terrain: 259-306 (89.6 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant in Grassy Terrain: 222-262 (76.8 - 90.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

Remember what they took from us :fukyu:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Grass Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant in Grassy Terrain: 296-350 (102.4 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Pls GF, give gambit knock so that it can finally be banned. Can't believe it survived the suspect and continues to make the meta worse!
Would Gambit ever use it? It already has Sucker Punch and Kowtow Cleave, which are both better moves over all, while running a third dark type move spells trouble for it in the late game. Really, bar it getting Baddy Bad, I doubt itll gain any more reasons to suspect/ban it.

Edit: oh shit maybe it gets pursuit

Would Gambit ever use it? It already has Sucker Punch and Kowtow Cleave, which are both better moves over all, while running a third dark type move spells trouble for it in the late game. Really, bar it getting Baddy Bad, I doubt itll gain any more reasons to suspect/ban it.

Edit: oh shit maybe it gets pursuit
it will use knock over kowtow because kowtow is inferior to knock off

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
it will use knock over kowtow because kowtow is inferior to knock off
Im struggling to find a scenario where i'd rather lose out on damage over two turns in exchange for the opponent losing their item. Either you wouldve been KO'd in the meantime, or they were already in KO range. If this was Bisharp i could see your point, due to its potential role as utility, striking when the iron is hot and depriving the opponent of tools to use later, but this isnt bisharp. This is Kingambit, whose sole role is to clean house. It comes in at the end, and turns the game around, simple as. You dont turn games from 4-0 to 0-1 with utility, but with raw fucking power, and Kowtow Cleave does more over knock off in the end.

Honestly, I feel like Grassy Glide getting a BP nerf was an obvious sign that rillaboom was going to get it back. How was unclear, but now we know.

Last edited:
Im struggling to find a scenario where i'd rather lose out on damage over two turns in exchange for the opponent losing their item. Either you wouldve been KO'd in the meantime, or they were already in KO range. If this was Bisharp i could see your point, due to its potential role as utility, striking when the iron is hot and depriving the opponent of tools to use later, but this isnt bisharp. This is Kingambit, whose sole role is to clean house. It comes in at the end, and turns the game around, simple as. You dont turn games from 4-0 to 0-1 with utility, but with raw fucking power, and Kowtow Cleave does more over knock off in the end.
To remove the HDB or Leftovers of the Dondozo that has a good matchup against whatever team you happen to be running at the time so you can actually chip it down and force it to spam all of its Rest turns away.

I wonder if Pex will still run its AV set if it gets Scald. Part of me thinks that the AV set will get better if anything since it will cover both sides of the spectrum and Kingambit can't setup SD on it without fearing burn.

I wonder if Pex will still run its AV set if it gets Scald. Part of me thinks that the AV set will get better if anything since it will cover both sides of the spectrum and Kingambit can't setup SD on it without fearing burn.
I’d rather Kingambit just finally get banned if it gets Pursuit + Knock Off back than deal with Scald Pex again

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Actually, if Scald does come back, I can see Tera Type Fire increasing. Not being capable of being burned is a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)