Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that ogerpon fire got banned a little too soon, the metagame would probably adapt if it was given more time.

Anyway, I am not really mad or anything.
I can see why it got banned.

I wonder if it will get unbanned during the next dlc.

Anyway, something unrelated: what are your thoughts on clefable this gen?
Do you think that it will manage to stay in OU or it is going to drop due to the fact that there are too many poison and steel types running around?
You can't adapt to Heartflame. It's counterplay is very well known (hazards and priority/faster mons), but putting Ogerpon counterplay in every team is very restrictive, and limits playstyles like Balance and Stall.

How are we already devolving into chaos when we were already given direction lol. We got a Foger QB, we're moving into a suspect and will likely deal with Bloona, Manaphy, and / or Woger before long. We're not talking tiering philosophy, and there's no point in arguing other bans given the landscape of the tier. Peronsally, I'm just happy to be out of Foger hell.

To my dismay not only did it receive a very low score but so did Ursa-BloodMoon. I'm not quite sure why BloodMoon's vote was low personally, maybe it's due to the previous overreaction of regular ursa or people believing due to its speed tier it can be maintained enough, I've seen this Pokemon win as many if not more games then the recently quick-banned Ogerpon-Hearthflame, hopefully, the player base realizes the problem that it is.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone who participates in the surveys and I look forward to the player base to continue voicing their important opinions. Your voice matters. Thank You.
I have strong reason to believe that the only reason Bloona and Manaphy received such low scores was because of Foger and Woger. They tear through common defensive cores and dampen both offensive threats; thereby offensively decreasing the effectiveness of either in a given match. While I'm disappointed to hear that Bloona and Manaphy are more likely to receive a suspect test before Woger, as long as we're cutting away at the problematic threats the metagame is offering then I think we're all happy.

As for Gliscor? I honestly don't think it's a problem at all. With Foger gone, we're focusing on removing the other three problematic threats in the tier and gradually coming to a place of stability where we will have more tools to adapt to it. Right now any counterplay we can offer struggles to keep up with Bloona, Manaphy, and Woger; the sooner we remove them the lesser Gliscor will appear to be an issue.

:ogerpon-hearthflame:
very glad firepon is gone, was incredibly restrictive. appreciate the council for running things so quickly.

:ogerpon-wellspring: :manaphy:
these 2 guys are next up on my personal radar, and i would want either of them suspected sometime after the survey results are published, whichever got the highest response (assuming they got 3.5+). both are awkwardly bulky and can be very restrictive with their setup sets. personally i am not 100% decided on if i'd want either of them banned but i think deciding between these 2 as suspect candidates in the upcoming weeks would be the best move for the tier's health.

:ursaluna-bloodmoon:
this mon is just not broken to me, the speed holds it back so much and there are so many other strong grounds that it needs to compete with. i think the meta will take time to adapt to it by running fewer choiced ghosts, more techs like balloon ghold/tran, and defensively a wider range of spdef walls besides glowking or clod. sets on mons like scizor and heatran made to speedcreep gambit will need to add a few extra EVs, and defensive pokemon may need protect/substitute/encore more often to limit luna. screens teams will fully commit to alolatales and rain will continue to rise to limit luna (and clef's) longetivity. overall there are many small adaptations that i expect to see in the meta that will make ursa-bm seem weaker than it currently does.

The meta has devolved into rock paper scissors with weather being rock, ho being scissors, and Bo being paper
Welcome to Gen 5. In all seriousness, I think some of this will fizzle out over time. It's pretty much expected at this point for new or radically updated tiers to have overcentralizing playstyles. I have a hard time seeing things leveling out with Ninetales-A in the tier though tbh.

:ursaluna-bloodmoon:
this mon is just not broken to me, the speed holds it back so much and there are so many other strong grounds that it needs to compete with. i think the meta will take time to adapt to it by running fewer choiced ghosts, more techs like balloon ghold/tran, and defensively a wider range of spdef walls besides glowking or clod. sets on mons like scizor and heatran made to speedcreep gambit will need to add a few extra EVs, and defensive pokemon may need protect/substitute/encore more often to limit luna. screens teams will fully commit to alolatales and rain will continue to rise to limit luna (and clef's) longetivity. overall there are many small adaptations that i expect to see in the meta that will make ursa-bm seem weaker than it currently does.
you do know this thing has scrappy right lmao? very little of what you mentioned is actually effective luna counterplay besdies protect and encore

I have a question about the interaction between booster energy and sticky web, specially Iron Valiant in this case.
At 0 IVs, 0 EVs on Atk and Spa, Valiant have 265 and 245 in each stats.
With -Atk nature, Valiant have 238 Atk.
With -Spa nature, Valiant have 220 Spa.
However, by running one of these nature, the other one cannot be lowered.
+Spe Nature Valiant max speed is 364.
At -1 speed from web, +Spe Valiant speed is 242.
As Quark Drive activate AFTER web lower Valiant's speed, and after -1, valiant stat would either be
238/245/242
or
265/220/242.
Booster speed should never boost its speed as it is never the highest stat, however in testing I found out that at least the min Atk set CAN get booster speed, which is really weird since on the Calc, quark drive is activated for spa and not speed.

How is it possible that valiant can get a speed boost from booster energy?

you do know this thing has scrappy right lmao? very little of what you mentioned is actually effective luna counterplay besdies protect and encore
yes, i know...? im assuming youre referring to the lines you bolded, so ill elaborate on them,

fewer choiced ghosts - luna-bm does not safely switch in on many things, but scarf ghold and specs pult revenge killing with shadow ball easily allow luna in afterwards. by running alternative sets like air balloon ghold and boots/lefties/lifeorb/band+darts/spelltag pult, luna will be much more limited in its opportunities to switch in, especially if spikes are up or it's already been chipped

balloon on ghold/tran - balloon tran is a safe switchin to luna-bm and forces it to spend a turn using a resisted move to pop the balloon, giving tran time to start magmatecting. balloon ghold similarly tanks a hit since steel resists normal even through scrappy, and so it threatens with focusblast/makeitrain/tera flying the turn after.

both of these are adaptations that turn an otherwise losing matchup into a trade at worst and a check at best, which is the way you play around these absurdly strong but slow guys.

Anyone else think the Ogerpon forms make Gambit a worse Tera user? Feel like the free +1 stat boost they gain (specifically the water one) gives them a higher net benefit from Tera than Gambit. On Oger + Gambit teams, it seems like Oger is more scary than Gambit because of the higher net benefit it gets from Tera, which leaves Gambit more vulnerable to its normal counterplay.

fewer choiced ghosts - luna-bm does not safely switch in on many things, but scarf ghold and specs pult revenge killing with shadow ball easily allow luna in afterwards. by running alternative sets like air balloon ghold and boots/lefties/lifeorb/band+darts/spelltag pult, luna will be much more limited in its opportunities to switch in, especially if spikes are up or it's already been chipped
Boots and spell Dragapult is way too weak to handle BM, while life orb is really bad outright. Band isn't great because you have no ghost stab without terastilising and spelltag. And spikes while useful, aren't as automatic at stopping it because BM has recovery.

balloon on ghold/tran - balloon tran is a safe switchin to luna-bm and forces it to spend a turn using a resisted move to pop the balloon, giving tran time to start magmatecting. balloon ghold similarly tanks a hit since steel resists normal even through scrappy, and so it threatens with focusblast/makeitrain/tera flying the turn after.
Balloon Ghold is constantly walking a tightrope and often gets its balloon popped so it's not going to be reliable long-term counterplay. Heatran isn't even very good right now.

Dumb ban. These bans are really taking the fun out of Showdown.
View attachment 554515

he's spitting.

as usual the only people whining about smogon's system are the people who are not a part of the community and do not give a shit about what happens other than to bitch about it.
This isn’t the sick burn you think it is. Most of us aren’t losers and spend our days terminally online playing a game that isn’t even officially supported. We have lives you know. I’d bet most people complaining aren’t even aware of the survey and just want to have fun. Instead the council are a bunch of babies and QB a Pokémon because it destroys their favorite. That sounds like a skill issue to me. Some of us just want to play some matches with our favorite Pokémon after a long day but now are forced to waste time building teams or playing a different format where that Pokémon is worse. Don’t like your favorite Pokémon getting destroyed? Go play UU or a lower tier. Not everyone that complains is trying to hate. Maybe if the people that are in charge spent less time arguing over an unofficial fan game and let us have fun, there wouldn’t be any negative reactions.

This isn’t the sick burn you think it is. Most of us aren’t losers and spend our days terminally online playing a game that isn’t even officially supported. We have lives you know. I’d bet most people complaining aren’t even aware of the survey and just want to have fun. Instead the council are a bunch of babies and QB a Pokémon because it destroys their favorite. That sounds like a skill issue to me. Some of us just want to play some matches with our favorite Pokémon after a long day but now are forced to waste time building teams or playing a different format where that Pokémon is worse. Don’t like your favorite Pokémon getting destroyed? Go play UU or a lower tier. Not everyone that complains is trying to hate. Maybe if the people that are in charge spent less time arguing over an unofficial fan game and let us have fun, there wouldn’t be any negative reactions.
It takes 2 minutes to fill out the survey lol.

If you have such disdain for this "unsupported game" I'm not sure why you even care what goes on in Smogon 6v6 lol. Battle Stadium Singles, VGC, and Draft are all right there and the former two are also Game Freak supported so I'd suggest having fun in those instead of complaining a meta that you have no interest in in the first place.

Hi, please take the tiering surveys seriously. As most of you should know by now Ogerpon-Hearthflame was quick-banned. It received fantastic support from the player base to give the council the ability to pull the trigger and put together a vote to remove it from the tier. It is great to see the player base voice resounding support to remove a Pokemon from the tier. I've seen some of the player base take issue with there being so many quick bans and not as many suspects. Which leads to me feeling the need to make this post. If you go into the survey checking simply 5's and 1's or trolling giving things like magearna 1s, you can not then have an issue with certain decisions that are made pertaining to the tier. If you want fewer quick bans then heading into a future survey you may wanna give something you find a potential threat to the tier but not deserving of a quick ban a 3 or a 4. I know the 5 may be tempting but if you really are against quick bans you may wanna show some restraint as it truly does matter. I also feel The player base needs to understand each council member has a different mentality and philosophy when voting on something pertaining to the tier. For Example, Finch our great tier leader has stated he will happily quickly ban something if it receives overwhelming support from the community, he is truly a man of the people any criticism aimed at him in regards to tiering is truly hard to validate so good luck with it. I myself when it comes to voting show a lot of restraint when voting and feel if a threat can be managed/outplayed enough I will not vote ban (i.e. Hearthflame). I can't speak for the other council members but I know they put in a lot of work and truly care about the player base's opinion.

Approaching the next vote if you aren't already, think about the long-term effects of the tier. For example, Sam-H received a 2 on the last tiering survey it was apart of and then proceeded to dominate the tier landscape pre dlc with its hazard stacking abilities alongside Ting Lu. Personally, I see gliscor having a similar effect on the tier that's why I was a vocal leader of including it on the survey. To my dismay not only did it receive a very low score but so did Ursa-BloodMoon. I'm not quite sure why BloodMoon's vote was low personally, maybe it's due to the previous overreaction of regular ursa or people believing due to its speed tier it can be maintained enough, I've seen this Pokemon win as many if not more games then the recently quick-banned Ogerpon-Hearthflame, hopefully, the player base realizes the problem that it is.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone who participates in the surveys and I look forward to the player base to continue voicing their important opinions. Your voice matters. Thank You.
I’m of the opinion that we should be doing more quick bans lol, it’s the only way to counteract gamefreaks nonsense at this point

You're more than welcome to "have fun". If it matters to you so little where you can't take 2 minutes to voice your opinion in a constructive way, then you have no business droning on about the decision that was made. This is totally baseless and out of pocket.

I’m of the opinion that we should be doing more quick bans lol, it’s the only way to counteract gamefreaks nonsense at this point
Yeah, quickbans are definitely good for the game. Rapid-fire surveys like this can be used to produce suspects *for* said quickban, but any time you see something over 3.75 qualified or so?

Just signal the council and get things moving. Even if it would be "ideal" to let people vote, the three weeks of a new meta gained by a council vote are just far too valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)