Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ogerpon-Wellspring should be next followed by Gholdengo if we get in two more suspects before Indigo Disc although the OU council probably doesn't feel the same about Gholdengo. I do not believe Iron Valiant is an issue. It's a top tier but healthy Pokemon in the meta.

Still Shiftry sucks, Meowscarada is better as a Grass/Dark type, Hisuian-Lilligant and Scovillain are better sun abusers, and many mons have better use as wallbreakers.
Tailwind is not something used in singles at all and Wind Rider is still a bad meme set
you sit right the fuck down and put some respect on shiftry's name, buckarooski. i'll have you know that shiftry has many, many uses in gen 9 ou. to list merely a few of the myriad options shiftry has available to it, it can:
  • completely hardwall zapdos with tera ground wind rider
  • utilize its excellent movepool to surprise opponents with coverage moves such as extrasensory, icy wind, and chilling water
  • annihilate opposing teams with rollout, which doubles in power every time it hits an opponent and is even more powerful if run alongside defense curl (which should always be run on shiftry for what i hope should be obvious reasons)
  • be outsped by great tusk and die to it
  • run scarf explosion so you can stop using shiftry as quickly as possible and bring out a better pokemon
  • look badass
  • run defog and knock off, forcing gholdengo to play the 50/50 switch mindgame—if you predict correctly, ghold either dies to knock off or doesn't switch in and you get to remove hazards
  • wait fuck that last one might actually work
  • win gen 3 contests, according to my first playthrough of emerald in like 2006
as you can see, shiftry has all the tools to be a top-tier ou threat and a meta staple, especially alongside teammates like eviolite dipplin and tidy up furret

So, now that we've cooled down with Bloodmoon's banning, it's probably worth looking at the other six candidates we established for suspect tests:
  1. Kingambit
  2. Iron Valiant
  3. Gholdengo
  4. Manaphy
  5. Ogerpon-Wellspring
  6. Gliscor
Working under the assumption that we have about 1-2 months until DLC2 drops, who do you guys think we should look at next?
You forgot tera, which would help with a lot of these.

Been awhile since we got an update on that (afaik)

honestly, even as a terapreviewchad, i kind of wish we could just rule out another tera suspect altogether so people would stop harping on it and just play the meta we've already been playing for almost a year

…of course, if this mysterious new tera type turns out to be some "super effective against everything" 8-year-old-designing-his-first-fakemon type bullshit, that kind of invalidates my opinion

Last edited:
Thank you. The mods of this site needs to step in and shut crap like this down hard. Smogon has a rep for shit like this.
to be fair, a lot of competitive games have a reputation for this sort of thing. look how quick everyone is to dunk on "noobs" and "casuals" in basically any esport, it's a problem that's bigger than just us. this is why i've always said that new players should pretend to be cute girls so people are less inclined to be mean to them gaming culture needs to be more accommodating of outsiders (though not necessarily the games themselves)

to be fair, a lot of competitive games have a reputation for this sort of thing. look how quick everyone is to dunk on "noobs" and "casuals" in basically any esport, it's a problem that's bigger than just us. this is why i've always said that new players should pretend to be cute girls so people are less inclined to be mean to them gaming culture needs to be more accommodating of outsiders (though not necessarily the games themselves)
Absolutely. And as we are one slice of that community, it falls on us to make sure we don't fall into that trap of Toxicity. We don't have enough hazard removers as is. I think we do pretty ok with that, especially with users like us who aren't afraid of some outward reflection.

Granted, this is also a rather rare problem that I see here, but it's been fairly, I dunno, prickly here, even I need to log off and take a break, and that's something I reserve for Reddit

I really hope that dlc list is incomplete, i want my boy tangrowth back, he has serious potential in OU. Bringing back smeargle is wild though, its going to cause all sorts of havoc with the amount of broken low distribution moves this gen. Maybe even the first viable offensive smearlge set with spore, shell smash, pop bomb and maybe wicked blow for gholdengo? Meme central but it does get technician and + 2 is still stronger than maushold so...

+2 252+ Atk Technician Smeargle Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Manaphy: 330-400 (81.6 - 99%) -- approx. 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Manaphy: 270-330 (66.8 - 81.6%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

the idea being its almost impossible to setup with maushold but with spore and some luck smeargle can get +2 easily and make the 1200s weep :psycry:

I really hope that dlc list is incomplete, i want my boy tangrowth back, he has serious potential in OU. Bringing back smeargle is wild though, its going to cause all sorts of havoc with the amount of broken low distribution moves this gen. Maybe even the first viable offensive smearlge set with spore, shell smash, pop bomb and maybe wicked blow for gholdengo? Meme central but it does get technician and + 2 is still stronger than maushold so...

+2 252+ Atk Technician Smeargle Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Manaphy: 330-400 (81.6 - 99%) -- approx. 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Manaphy: 270-330 (66.8 - 81.6%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

the idea being its almost impossible to setup with maushold but with spore and some luck smeargle can get +2 easily and make the 1200s weep :psycry:
…shit, i like that. i think power trip would work better than wicked blow, after a shell smash you've got 140 power versus wicked blow's effective 112.5. does a lot less damage before the shell smash than wicked blow but it's smeargle, you're doing no damage without shell smash anyway

this is all moot of course because smeargle is going to get access to revival blessing and no one is gonna be caught dead running a set that doesn't have it

…shit, i like that. i think power trip would work better than wicked blow, after a shell smash you've got 140 power versus wicked blow's effective 112.5. does a lot less damage before the shell smash than wicked blow but it's smeargle, you're doing no damage without shell smash anyway

this is all moot of course because smeargle is going to get access to revival blessing and no one is gonna be caught dead running a set that doesn't have it
So Smeargle is officially Jesus?

I did not think of Smeargle until you just reminded me that it has Technician and access to Population Bomb. I agree with DaddyBuzzwole that Power Trip would be better for an offensive set. Definitely gonna try that out when the Indigo Disk DLC drops, that sounds hilarious.

+2 252+ Atk Smeargle Power Trip (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 272-320 (86.3 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

lol. lmao even

+2 252+ Atk Smeargle Power Trip (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 272-320 (86.3 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

lol. lmao even
and the best part is, it still has spore for anything that pop bomb/power trip don't immediately kill, so you can go for a second one (or some cheeky extra setup if you need to). volatile, but this might genuinely be a set worth running

what kind of looney tunes ass metagame is this where we can seriously discuss offensive smeargle? the pokemon with 20 base attack? who's highest stat is 75 speed? im serious, what even IS this metagame, is this the gen where we see the rise of shit like offensive chansey?
I mean, we had Assault Vest Pex, so anything is possible!
Just to avoid a one-liner: I think that Meowscarada has its niche, but I think there's merit to exploring new sets for this mon. I wonder if it could run a set like Specs pult. So giga for heal, u-turn for pivot, dark pulse, and a coverage move. It doesn't have the same blistering speed as Pult, but it might have other options that might be worth investigating. Anyone wanna do some calcs on Specs Meow vs common meta sets?

what kind of looney tunes ass metagame is this where we can seriously discuss offensive smeargle? the pokemon with 20 base attack? who's highest stat is 75 speed? im serious, what even IS this metagame, is this the gen where we see the rise of shit like offensive chansey?
Yeah it probably sucks, but…
+2 252+ Atk Technician Tera Normal Smeargle Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 360-440 (102.2 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah, I don't doubt Slowking is still a solid AV user. I still prefer Toxapex as my AV user of choice because the Toxic immunity is really nice + it handles Greninja nicely, but Slowking's better movepool and power likely make it the better choice for this role.

Also this isn't relevant to this meta, but it really sucks that Slowking lost Dragon Tail from last generation. That would have been a really awesome tool on this set to force out switch-ins like Kingambit, as well as phaze out threats like Manaphy.
Dragon tail Slowking would have been excellent, especially when combined with future sight. Without phasing, Manaphy just sets up for free on all the bulky AV options we have currently.

I agree, that’s literally some NatDex AG kind of shit and the NatDex AG metagames are complete chaos.

No seriously, check out its Setup Sweeper entry for Gen 8 NatDex AG. I’m serious.

https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/smeargle/

It even uses… Another (Sticky Web) Smeargle as a support teammate. Actual deranged maniac looney toons kind of shit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)