Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
View attachment 564102

I've been trying to get reqs, I've faced at least 10 different monoclaw teams (and I haven't even laddered that much on suspect alts) and those are only the teams I know are monoclaw. They are everywhere. And there are absolutely no legitimate strategies that have collateral damage from a quick claw ban.
This honestly should've been banned months ago because it's just straight up cheese, but there has to be an overwhelming outcry from the community for any sort of action to happen because the council will not just wake up one day and decide to vote on a quickban for Quick Claw if there isn't any noise.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
This honestly should've been banned months ago because it's just straight up cheese, but there has to be an overwhelming outcry from the community for any sort of action to happen because the council will not just wake up one day and decide to vote on a quickban for Quick Claw if there isn't any noise.
That one Quick Claw team from Home was popping off which sparked this debate and never again. It just hides in the shadows before the council has time to react.

Came back to try OU after quitting it because of the DLC and I can't believe I'm saying this but I kinda prefer the HO nonsense of Pre-DLC1 to this HO nonsense + Hazard Hell.

Naturally, I'm stuck in like 1200s-1400s so my experiences aren't that valid but I'm so over Roaring Moon and Gliscor being on every team. I have to carry like at least 2 Encore/Taunt users to just survive and that's not even accounting for Ribombee's Sticky Webs making life miserable. I dunno what needs to be done but whether its Gliscor or Gholdengo that gets banned, I'll support the decision (in spirit cuz I'm low ladder and I can't get reqs)

On a slightly funny note, I lost a match in like 1300s ladder cuz my opponent ran Offensive Iron Head/Drill Peck Corviknight and it OHKOed my Iron Valiant.

Whether it's on cart or not is irrelevant. As I said in the post you're quoting, Smogon's tiering policy states that the goal is to remain as close to cart as possible, and while Sleep Clause and similar are last resorts that should be implemented when there's just nothing better to do, they are still on the table as viable options. Everyone is aware that Sleep Clause is not accurate to cart. That's not an argument because its implementation is knowingly in spite of this fact. You must put forth a reason for how a lack of Sleep Clause would create a more competitive and enjoyable metagame.

I will amend my phrasing for you though so you can feel more comfortable doing so. It's a precedent that Sleep Clause exists and enough people like it to keep it around, and a minimum number of people needed to establish the rule agree the rule doesnt break anything or make the game unrecognizable. Tell us why removing Sleep Clause would improve Smogon singles and having it makes it worse.
You can't say "Whether it's on cart or not is irrelevant" and "Smogon's tiering policy states that the goal is to remain as close to cart as possible"; those are two statements that are factually incompatible with each other. You haven't refuted this - there is no "minimum number" established nor is there a provision that allows for modification of the simulator because "people like it". And btw, "as close to cart as possible" would be exactly replicated cart mechanics - to imply this is outside the realm of possibility is absurd. According to the interpretation you provided, there is no justification to including it. It easily opens up the door to other modifications. So while there is no burden of proof to suggest that correctly simulating the cart mechanics is more competitive than modding it (& it's quite ridiculous to suggest that there is), the solution for anyone worried would be pretty simple. Sleep moves have already been problematic in multiple generations even with the sleep mod so I don't think banning them makes the game worse. As for freeze, the chances of getting multiple freezes in a single battle is miniscule. There are far more likely RNG-based events that will turn a battle in favor of the previously losing player far more often. Of course, if you continue to think the idea that playing with correct cart mechanics is irrelevant, I would press you to elaborate on why you think this.

Last edited:
Have you considered Tera Flying as an alternative for this set? The way I see it, it kinda compresses a lot of things you want to do. It's no longer weak to MIR/Iron Head, grass moves from Boom (and breloom please guys breloom is viable please!!!!!), ground moves from Gliscor/Tusk, and we don't really have a lot of good ice or rock moves that can threaten it, especially behind veil. It gives it a nasty weakness to rocks, but in exchange you gain an immunity to spikes, probably the more prevalent hazard, and you're not probably switching this back in after its tera'd anyway. It just feels like on a veil team you want a Tera with less weaknesses rather than more resistances that fairy/water give you, and this seems the best as a jack-of-all-trades.
Thats not a bad idea tbh. Ice/electric coverage is at a premium sans ice spinner on tusk which does nothing, so it could do quite well. I'll try it out

I've been thinking a lot about why it's so hard to find a good direction for balancing the current metagame. Because while there is a lot of consensus that the metagame is in a bad spot, there is a lot of argumentation on what the cause of the problem is, and hence what is the correct course of action. Pretty much any set of suspects or quickbans in any order would raise more complaints then consensus. Admittedly, I'm not a great player, so everything I'm about to say is a parroting of various more experienced player's opinions (whose forum posts I have read).

I think this dynamic of "what is the real issue" is highlighted in the current roaring moon suspect. Most people admit moon is strong, rather centralizing, and isn't some sort of keystone holding the meta together. But there is still a sizeable DNB camp, and all of their arguments seem to fall back either explicitly or implicitly on the idea that moon isn't the core issue. Some variant of, "sure, moon is strong, but it's only conditionally strong because the meta is broken/over-centralized due to X." I'd say this is a valid line of reasoning because of the current state of the meta.

Usually suspects are pretty linear. Most of SS's suspects were fairly clear cut before and after scenarios (is the meta more or less centralized without Urshifu-S or not? Vote accordingly). Even when there were multiple overpowered threats at a time, it seemed pretty straightforward to test them one at a time since their broken-ness didn't seem contingent on anything else. This is not true in SV, and I'd argue the main reason SV feels so hard to fix is because there are three core architypes of broken that each contribute differently to the over-centralized nature of the tier, and each must be dealt with mostly independent of the other tiers.

Those different architypes are as follows.

The Three Axis of Evil in SV OU

1. The 6 Brokens

The six brokens are :kingambit: :roaring-moon: :ogerpon-wellspring: :iron-valiant: :zamazenta: :sneasler:

These are the Pokemon that may be broken in the traditional sense. Too strong, too fast, too low opportunity cost, too difficult to reliably check, etc. You may disagree that all or any of these are strong to the point of being banworthy, at least by themselves. Or you may argue some other pokemon not listed needs to be banned as well. The point I'm trying to make here is that there are at least 6 pokemon I have seen or heard at least one good player want banned/suspected or eventually banned/suspected. At the same time, for each of these pokemon there is a sizeable contingent of players who will vouch for them to remain in SV OU, even kingambit.

Edit: I realize I forgot :manaphy:, another arguably overpowered mon. It should really be the 7 brokens

2. Hazard Stacking

The main culprits are :gholdengo: and :gliscor:, but I'd also put :ribombee: here since I saw somebody say a big reason you need to run boots on non ho-offence is because you get smashed by webs otherwise. Not sure if this is true, but I thought I'd mention it.

This is pretty straightforward. As the argument goes, hazard stacking is so strong that you must run HO to prevent spikes and make games short or run boots fat to ignore spikes because hazard control is so bad. Since we can't add more hazard control, we should ban the setter or the blocker to alleviate hazard pressure.

3. Tera

Banning tera is actually talked about a lot less now than it was before DLC 1, but the point still stands that a tera ban or restriction could make a lot of the 6 Brokens and maybe even a couple of banned pokemon balanced again.

Why it Matters (And why fixing SV is so complicated)

The reason I split the broken elements of the metagame into these three categories is to illustrate that there are three fundamentally different forces that could be the cause of SV OU's centralization. And one of the reasons its so hard to balance is because nobody knows which one to prioritize first. For example, most people would say ban Kingambit, but a fair few people don't want a Kingambit suspect and instead want a tera one, with teras ban removing the necessity to ban Kingambit. Some people want the hazard elements gone first to see if balance is still chocked out of existence without constant hazard pressure, and if it isn't perhaps most of the 6 brokens don't need to be banned. And some want most or all of the six brokens banned, because maybe then there will be more opportunities to spin and thus hazards won't be so oppressive. There is no objective or clear right answer about what to prioritize, complicating matters.

What makes matters worse is that all three of these solutions (banning broken mons, hazards, or tera) could work. I want to emphasize that fact, because most people argue that another solutions to theirs won't lead to a balanced metagame and so we should go along with their solution. But it's also possible that banning either the brokens, or the hazards, or tera, or some combination of the three leads to a balanced and competitive metagame, entirely different than another balanced and competitive metagame that could've existed if a different combination of things had been banned. What this means is that the current suspect criteria of "is X too strong for OU" may not be sufficient for future suspects, since multiple different paths could lead to a balanced result.

I want to emphasize that everything I said in that last paragraph is ENTIRELY HYPOTHETICAL and by no means probable, but it is POSSIBLE. And I think it should be considered, because something like Gen 5 OU exists in its current state because a balanced metagame was pursued by complex banning weather as opposed to something else.

To complicate matters even further, within each of these subgroups the way in which to alleviate the problem is unclear. Tera is no simple thing to ban, since some people just want a restriction, which would alter the metagame in different ways. Banning Gholdengo versus banning Gliscor would both hurt the hazard game, but in drastically different ways. And as seen in the roaring moon suspect, there is almost no consensus on which of the six brokens is the most deserving of the next suspect, and which ones deserve a ban.

I write this post to try and put to words what I think a lot of people implicitly know about SV OU and why it's so hard to fix, hopefully so there can be a more productive forum about how to solve the Gordian knot that is this metagame.

Any critiques about my analysis are welcome, as it's hardly comprehensive and is comes from a complication of forum posts I've read rather than some tangible firsthand knowledge of the game.

Have a good day.

Last edited:

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I've been thinking a lot about why it's so hard to find a good direction for balancing the current metagame. Because while there is a lot of consensus that the metagame is in a bad spot, there is a lot of argumentation on what the cause of the problem is, and hence what is the correct course of action. Pretty much any set of suspects or quickbans in any order would raise more complaints then consensus. Admittedly, I'm not a great player, so everything I'm about to say is a parroting of various more experienced player's opinions (whose forum posts I have read).

I think this dynamic of "what is the real issue" is highlighted in the current roaring moon suspect. Most people admit moon is strong, rather centralizing, and isn't some sort of keystone holding the meta together. But there is still a sizeable DNB camp, and all of their arguments seem to fall back either explicitly or implicitly on the idea that moon isn't the core issue. Some variant of, "sure, moon is strong, but it's only conditionally strong because the meta is broken/over-centralized due to X." I'd say this is a valid line of reasoning because of the current state of the meta.

Usually suspects are pretty linear. Most of SS's suspects were fairly clear cut before and after scenarios (is the meta more or less centralized without Urshifu-S or not? Vote accordingly). Even when there were multiple overpowered threats at a time, it seemed pretty straightforward to test them one at a time since their broken-ness didn't seem contingent on anything else. This is not true in SV, and I'd argue the main reason SV feels so hard to fix is because there are three core architypes of broken that each contribute differently to the over-centralized nature of the tier, and each must be dealt with mostly independent of the other tiers.

1. The 6 Brokens

The six brokens are :kingambit: :roaring-moon: :ogerpon-wellspring: :iron-valiant: :zamazenta: :sneasler:

These are the Pokemon that may be broken in the traditional sense. Too strong, too fast, too low opportunity cost, too difficult to reliably check, etc. You may disagree that all or any of these are strong to the point of being banworthy, at least by themselves. Or you may argue some other pokemon not listed needs to be banned as well. The point I'm trying to make here is that there are at least 6 pokemon I have seen or heard at least one good player want banned/suspected or eventually banned/suspected. At the same time, for each of these pokemon there is a sizeable contingent of players who will vouch for them to remain in SV OU, even kingambit.

2. Hazard Stacking

The main culprits are :gholdengo: and :gliscor:, but I'd also put :ribombee: here since I saw somebody say a big reason you need to run boots on non ho-offence is because you get smashed by webs otherwise. Not sure if this is true, but I thought I'd mention it.

This is pretty straightforward. As the argument goes, hazard stacking is so strong that you must run HO to prevent spikes and make games short or run boots fat to ignore spikes because hazard control is so bad. Since we can't add more hazard control, we should ban the setter or the blocker to alleviate hazard pressure.

3. Tera

Banning tera is actually talked about a lot less now than it was before DLC 1, but the point still stands that a tera ban or restriction could make a lot of the 6 Brokens and maybe even a couple of banned pokemon balanced again.

The reason I split the broken elements of the metagame into these three categories is to illustrate that there are three fundamentally different forces that could be the cause of SV OU's centralization. And one of the reasons its so hard to balance is because nobody knows which one to prioritize first. For example, most people would say ban Kingambit, but a fair few people don't want a Kingambit suspect and instead want a tera one, with teras ban removing the necessity to ban Kingambit. Some people want the hazard elements gone first to see if balance is still chocked out of existence without constant hazard pressure, and if it isn't perhaps most of the 6 brokens don't need to be banned. And some want most or all of the six brokens banned, because maybe then there will be more opportunities to spin and thus hazards won't be so oppressive. There is no objective or clear right answer about what to prioritize, complicating matters.

What makes matters worse is that all three of these solutions (banning broken mons, hazards, or tera) could work. I want to emphasize that fact, because most people argue that another solutions to theirs won't lead to a balanced metagame and so we should go along with their solution. But it's also possible that banning either the brokens, or the hazards, or tera, or some combination of the three leads to a balanced and competitive metagame, entirely different than another balanced and competitive metagame that could've existed if a different combination of things had been banned. What this means is that the current suspect criteria of "is X too strong for OU" may not be sufficient for future suspects, since multiple different paths could lead to a balanced result.

I want to emphasize that everything I said in that last paragraph is ENTIRELY HYPOTHETICAL and by no means probable, but it is POSSIBLE. And I think it should be considered, because something like Gen 5 OU exists in its current state because a balanced metagame was pursued by complex banning weather as opposed to something else.

To complicate matters even further, within each of these subgroups the way in which to alleviate the problem is unclear. Tera is no simple thing to ban, since some people just want a restriction, which would alter the metagame in different ways. Banning Gholdengo versus banning Gliscor would both hurt the hazard game, but in drastically different ways. And as seen in the roaring moon suspect, there is almost no consensus on which of the six brokens is the most deserving of the next suspect, and which ones deserve a ban.

I write this post to try and put to words what I think a lot of people implicitly know about SV OU and why it's so hard to fix, hopefully so there can be a more productive forum about how to solve the Gordian knot that is this metagame.

Any critiques about my analysis are welcome, as it's hardly comprehensive and is comes from a complication of forum posts I've read rather than some tangible firsthand knowledge of the game.

Have a good day.
IMG_0285.jpeg

Ok in non-shitpost language, I think there are a few easy solutions to this metagame.

Step 1: Ban Moon and Gambit.

Step 2: Ban Ghold. If Corv can Defog, hazard stacking and dealing with other major offensive threats would be easier. Also banning all three will allow Amoonguss to be easier to splash onto teams without worrying about being stonewalled by Ghold, thus Waterpon is easier to check.

Step 3: Work up from there. Since we aren’t dealing with three broken components of Gen 9 OU, it is easier to make tiering decisions and splash proper checks on teams. Cause they no longer are forced to slap Tusk or Cinder onto them.

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
Valiant, Zamazenta and Sneasler... almost nobody who plays the tier thinks these guys are broken (I think sneas is dumb but I'm in a small minority). Ogerpon and Roaring Moon are the closest to brokens, but even then Ogerpon has significant flaws holding it back (very predictable, 4mss in having to be pretty mid into offense or defense, checked by grasses and dragons defensively and faster mons/prio spam offensively).

Kingambit I'm working on a document I plan to turn into a forum post, but with techs like substitute and encore as well as mons like Zama and Dozo Kingambit is easy to play around in battle and builder.

1. The 6 Brokens

2. Hazard Stacking

3. Tera

Have a good day.
This, this is the best explanation for what is wrong with the DLC 1 metagame, one thing I feel should be mentioned is that we do not have enough time to properly balance this metagame. DLC2 is set to release in winter this year, which could range from end of November to anywhere in December, which given that DLC1 released mid September, gives us at minimum 3 months for this meta, 4 months if we're lucky. And we are already a month into the meta, with only 2 mons banned and potentially a third at the end of the RM suspect test. We simply do not have the time to properly address everything in the current meta before DLC2 releases. And that isn't even considering that it will take time for the community and council to think of what mon to target next.

1698112266551.png

As the grandfather of the QDQC ban for OU way back when Gen8OU was still the main gen I support this. With serious contempt, I hate that QDQC teeters dangerously close to the edge and always avoids detection. QDQC isn't as built in as other RNG elements (i.e. status, accuracy, crits, and rolls), but it falls short of uncompetitive elements like evasion based moves, items, and abilities that violate the tiering policy. It isn't as game changing as Baton Pass or Shed Tail, but it has the same potential to run away with the game on a lesser scale. But the potential to be running away with the game at all and completely violating the turn-priority system and limiting counterplay genuinely makes me tweak. QDQC always been a huge pet peeve of mine, not because it's outright broken, but because it's so damn close. Everytime we've talked about it before nothing ever happened, and the closest we've directly come to taking action was when I mentioned the results of the tiering survey. I addressed that the supermajority of the community, both experienced and casual, wanted some form of action taken against it, and that we should do something about it. Unfortunately, with spoilers of the up and coming Gen9OU on the way, that never came to fruition. Months of preparation wasted, drafts sitting in wait as spoiled harvest. Anyways, I don't mean any of this in a very serious way but I still think QDQC has always so stupidly close to being worth looked at it annoys me.

In other news, wtf happened to this discussion thread? I leave for 4 or 5 days and come back to 12 pages of dialogue about what we should and should not ban as if it isn't obvious that we have a knotball of threats that need untangled individually to start the domino of bans that should follow.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Okay so the metagame discussion has been pretty dogshit for the last couple of days, so I decided to add more dogshit discussion to this burning trashcan known as the OU forum, but this one is for all the family and kids to enjoy, your grandma, your dog, your cousin johnny, everyone

It all started with
Offensive Iron Head/Drill Peck Corviknight and it OHKOed my Iron Valiant.
Everyone who has been at least 100 meter near me knows I am of the belief Corviknight is the most overrated mon in the meta, and I genuinely believe to be a C- in OU and S+ in UU (untill dengo drops) And while BU Power trip corv is fun, I decided to try another experiment, offensive corv, and came up with this

Corviknight (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Body Press

You still get walled by dengo (and gliscor), but with this you now do the following:

Outspeed adamant kingambit while still 2HKO bulky variants with body press
enough bulk to take on some neutral hits and 1 big super effective one and actually retaliate instead of being a passive useless fuck
Tera Dragon flips your fire and electric matchups

Look at this fucking wall of calcs

252+ Atk Corviknight Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-228 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 208-248 (52 - 62%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 204 HP / 0 Def Rillaboom: 360-426 (91.8 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 260-308 (59.9 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 178-210 (52 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 360-426 (124.5 - 147.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 240-284 (83 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. +1 252 HP / 204+ Def Tera Water Hatterene: 85-102 (26.7 - 32%) -- 44% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Corviknight Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Hatterene: 170-204 (53.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta: 194-230 (59.6 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Iron Moth: 207-244 (68.7 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 380-450 (126.2 - 149.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera: 190-225 (63.1 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Corviknight Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Cornerstone: 254-300 (84.3 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

132 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 290-344 (78.5 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
132 SpA Iron Moth Sludge Wave vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Tera Dragon Corviknight: 172-204 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Tera Dragon Corviknight in Sun: 283-334 (76.6 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 229-270 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 212-250 (57.4 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Quark Drive Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Tera Dragon Corviknight: 103-121 (27.9 - 32.7%) -- 80.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Quark Drive Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 162-192 (43.9 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 128 HP / 4 Def Corviknight: 178-210 (48.2 - 56.9%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 186-220 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
180 SpA Dragapult Hex (130 BP) vs. 128 HP / 4 SpD Corviknight: 190-225 (51.4 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Grass Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 128 HP / 4 Def Corviknight in Grassy Terrain: 225-265 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 4 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 128 HP / 4 Def Corviknight: 304-358 (82.3 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 128 HP / 4 Def Tera Dragon Corviknight: 236-278 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Ivy Cudgel vs. 128 HP / 4 Def Corviknight: 354-417 (95.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Is this a good set that will revolutionize the meta? Probably not, corv is one of the worst mons in OU right now, but it's better than whatever slop you guys be eating

Also, the xagvb team is fucking fire, I wish I could come up with heat like that man
anyway, give me likes/hahas

(...)

Is this a good set that will revolutionize the meta? Probably not, corv is one of the worst mons in OU right now, but it's better than whatever slop you guys be eating
The people are hurting for a Skarmory replacement lol

--

On an unrelated note, here's a replay that I found to be fun/infuriating to watch after playing (don't mind the rating, I tilted my ass down from 1600 all the way to the 1200s when the DLC dropped and currently recovering lmfao)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1974707315

My beloved UU shitmon team absolutely cooked the other player from start to finish. Lured and murdered Gliscor, denied setups, denied reads, got reads and achieved a 5-1 lead, but since my main Gambit check (Lucha) got sacced in the crossfire, I still had to bait tera and outplay Gambit to ensure a 100% victory

Holy shit man :row:

BTW, I checked. Every prior generation saw about a dozen non-Box Legend mons banned by the end of the three-year cycle.

Less than a year into Gen IX and we have banned 16 (two technically changed later), with a 17th ongoing, and at least five more highly requested. And we still have yet to receive the second DLC.

What is even going on.

BTW, I checked. Every prior generation saw about a dozen non-Box Legend mons banned by the end of the three-year cycle.

Less than a year into Gen IX and we have banned 16 (two technically changed later), with a 17th ongoing, and at least five more highly requested. And we still have yet to receive the second DLC.

What is even going on.
GameFreak added nearly three dozen new Pokemon with BST +550. BST isn't everything, but it goes a long way towards determining a Pokémon's overall strength especially when stats are a lot more deliberately allocated. This is on top of some truly insane signature moves and abilities. If you were to pick a generation to build a team with and only limit yourself to Pokemon that are first playable in that gen, 9 is the easy front runner for best choice. And this is all on top of the game being over all weaker since some of the best Pokemon aren't even available as well as access to some of the best moves in the game being stripped from a bunch of older Pokemon.

[MORE SLEEP CLAUSE DISCOURSE SOMEHOW]
I don't know how to make this simpler for you. I'm sorry if I sound condescending but I laid everything out very clearly in my post, and your posts read like they're only looking at the first half of my sentences. Therefore, I'm going to elaborate on everything to make sure nothing is misunderstood.

Tiering policy is to stay as close to cart as possible, but exceptions can be made if there's no better option. I think you don't understand what the phrase "as possible" means in this context. 100% cart accuracy all the time for everything would include glitches like acid rain and Gen 1 Fly/Dig that can create unplayable game-destroying battles. Either you are advocating for having those glitches implemented into Showdown's official competitive formats, which means you are not intelligent enough to take seriously in the first place, or you don't want glitches that hurt the game that badly included, which means you do agree with me that, at bare minimum, there is a threshold where inaccuracy is preferred and changes can be made.

Changes to the status quo must justify themselves when presented and not the other way around. I'm not obligated to defend Sleep Clause because it is already precedent. You are obligated to defend the position that Sleep Clause should be removed. No, your argument is not self-evident. Make some points.

The fact that it's not on cart is irrelevant because Sleep Clause is implemented knowingly in spite of this fact. You going "Sleep Clause should be removed because it is not replicable on cart" is going to be met with "Yeah, we know, but it was decided that this improved the metagame at one point, so it was deemed an acceptable compromise". You have to have something else. Even one more thing. Come on. You keep saying I have yet to refute your argument, but that's only because you have yet to make an argument.

Because you seem to be allergic to any phrasing that implies even one person on Earth actually likes Sleep Clause, and I somehow am being dishonest or misrepresentative by saying that enough people liked it to make it a thing, I'm going to have to phrase it like this: At one point in time, someone thought Sleep Clause was a good idea that made the game more competitive. That person suffered a heart attack immediately afterwards and all of their supporting members woke up from the mind control that let them think it was a good idea, and now everyone hates it and wants it gone. However, the rule is in line with tiering policy (Yes it is, don't interrupt), so you also need to follow policy. Tell me how removing Sleep Clause improves the metagame and/or makes it more competitive.

But like, don't actually tell me. This isn't the policy review thread. Go complain there, where someone will listen and take you more seriously than I am. I'm only responding to this because you're deliberately cherry-picking statements without context and rephrasing what I say to make me sound less intelligent and wrong, and I don't want you to keep thinking that's a cool thing to do. Do better.

What is even going on.
here's the reasons why there are so many bans happening so quickly this gen:

1: unprecedented power creep. this gen has introduced the most ou-viable new mons since gen 4. of the 99 pokemon on the ou viability rankings (this is also a stealth callout post to the vr council for not making it an even 100, put chesnaught on the vr you cowards), 40 of them have made their competitive debut this gen (almost all are from gen 9, but some are technically from gen 8 because they were introduced in legends arceus, and zama-h was in gen 8 but wasn't allowed). the s through a- ranks on the vr consist entirely of new mons, old mons that got majorly buffed this gen, old mons with great tera potential, and a handful of mons that didn't get buffed but significantly benefit from the presence of the new stuff. ou mainstays like tyranitar, heatran, garchomp, and even lando-t (not officially yet but we all know it) have been forced into uu by the sheer influx of new, extremely powerful mons with equally powerful new moves and abilities, plus the nerfing of toxic, recovery moves, scald, and other tools that were far more useful against offense in the past. game freak has utterly failed to balance their mons around singles, possibly on purpose, so instead we have a whole bunch of mons that are fine in doubles but way too strong when only one mon is on the other side of the field. we have a mon that's bulkier than giratina and can set spikes and even that is outclassed within the tier. we dropped two box legendaries from ubers (well, two of the same box legendary) and only one went back up. and even though stall got nerfed, it got some wacky tools of its own, like dondozo, clodsire, garganacl, and alomomomomola with wishpassing capability. our sweepers are sweepier, our walls are wallier, our hazards are more hazardous, and our breakers are just broken. all these problems are made even bigger thanks to…

2: tera. i like tera and i want to keep it, but i can't deny that it's a big driver of this gen's power creep (more so than base stats, even—last gen's average base stats, rounded, were ~89/102/94/92/89/85 and this gen's are ~93/98/90/89/88/87). any offensive mon can gain adaptability, get stab on a coverage move, obtain new coverage altogether (with stab on it), or gain a free setup turn. any defensive mon can drop a poor defensive typing, switch their matchups around, gain a cheeky immunity, or (for physically defensive mons) get stab on body press and turn from passive to passive-aggressive. tera is effectively a buff to every pokemon, though the size of the buff differs between individual mons. again, i must reiterate, i still think tera is balanced and healthy, adds much-needed diversity to the meta, and should be kept in the tier, but the fact that it buffs everything simultaneously is making the power creep even creepier. of course, power creep isn't actually the reason things are being banned, it's just the reason things are unbalanced and need bans. the actual bans themselves are the result of…

3: increased transparency, input, and activity from the ou council. the council has done a lot of community outreach this gen and it really shows. gone are the days where they were a shadowy, faceless, inaccessible group of all-powerful mystery people who handed down decisions from on high like this was nerv or the scp foundation or something. instead, they put out surveys, gather data on our opinions, and act accordingly. they even show us their votes now when they quickban things. the reason so many things have been banned is because the community at large recognizes that there are a lot of things that are problems, and the council is listening to those complaints and acting on them more quickly and efficiently than ever before. basically, there are this many bans because the council is doing its job

Last edited:
GameFreak added nearly three dozen new Pokemon with BST +550. BST isn't everything, but it goes a long way towards determining a Pokémon's overall strength especially when stats are a lot more deliberately allocated. This is on top of some truly insane signature moves and abilities. If you were to pick a generation to build a team with and only limit yourself to Pokemon that are first playable in that gen, 9 is the easy front runner for best choice. And this is all on top of the game being over all weaker since some of the best Pokemon aren't even available as well as access to some of the best moves in the game being stripped from a bunch of older Pokemon.
I wouldn't call the game's power level overall weaker when so many high BST mons were introduced this gen often with minmaxed Base Stats, many with powerful signature abilities/moves/items, and this is before going into how Terastal artificially inflates the power level of the tier and has a higher impact in battle than Z-Moves did. This gen, in part due to Terastal, has notable offensive AND defensive power creep with Roaring Moon, Ogerpon-Wellspring, Gholdengo, Kingambit, Walking Wake, an improved Manaphy, Iron Moth, Great Tusk, a buffed Gliscor, nerfed Zamazenta-Hero, Ting-Lu, Sneasler, Cinderace freed due to a nerf, Samurott-Hisui, Enamorus, Glimmora, Dondozo, Garganacl, Skeledirge, Clodsire, Ceruledge, Sandy Shocks, Ursaluna, Meowscarada, and even a buffed Alomomola alongside other mons with more niche uses.

Sure, Gen 7 had more 600+ BST monsters due to Mega Evolution, but they had trade-offs in not being to use a functioning item whereas Terastal stacks with the power of items, allowing many Pokemon with the increased power and extra STABs fill niches not even previous mons in Gen 7 had. Some of the best moves being stripped from a bunch of older Pokemon also increases power creep since it's mainly defensive options that were cut from movepools, which makes it harder to deal with offensive threats. I believe it is wrong to characterize this generation being weaker when a single move is more likely to cost you the game in Gen 9 than in Gen 7, and it's not always because of Terastal but the elevated power level of the threats. If Terastal were banned, I'd agree that the overall power level is lower than Gen 7's, but I take issue with that claim in this meta with Tera legal.

Last edited:
3: increased transparency, input, and activity from the ou council. the council has done a lot of community outreach this gen and it really shows. gone are the days where they were a shadowy, faceless, inaccessible group of all-powerful mystery people who handed down decisions from on high like this was nerv or the scp foundation or something. instead, they put out surveys, gather data on our opinions, and act accordingly. they even show us their votes now when they quickban things. the reason so many things have been banned is because the community at large recognizes that there are a lot of things that are problems, and the council is listening to those complaints and acting on them more quickly and efficiently than ever before. basically, there are this many bans because the council is doing its job
I really appreciate you highlighting this. I think when people talk about "Oh shit, there's been so many bans in Gen 9, things must be worse than EVER" they're... kind of right admittedly, but I guarantee if SV dropped ten years ago we would only have half the banlist we do now. No disrespect to the efforts of prior councils, but that way of doing things would absolutely not work now, and the fact that we've been able to ban so much problematic stuff is a sign of things working as well as they can. Bit of a positive mindset to keep and all that.

I wouldn't call the game's power level overall weaker when so many high BST mons were introduced this gen often with minmaxed Base Stats, many with powerful signature abilities/moves/items, and this is before going into how Terastal artificially inflates the power level of the tier and has a higher impact in battle than Z-Moves did. This gen, in part due to Terastal, has notable offensive AND defensive power creep with Roaring Moon, Ogerpon-Wellspring, Gholdengo, Kingambit, Walking Wake, an improved Manaphy, Iron Moth, Great Tusk, a buffed Gliscor, nerfed Zamazenta-Hero, Ting-Lu, Sneasler, Cinderace freed due to a nerf, Samurott-Hisui, Enamorus, Glimmora, Dondozo, Garganacl, Skeledirge, Clodsire, Ceruledge, Sandy Shocks, Ursaluna, Meowscarada, and even a buffed Alomomola alongside other mons with more niche uses.

Sure, Gen 7 had more 600+ BST monsters due to Mega Evolution, but they had trade-offs in not being to use a functioning item whereas Terastal stacks with the power of items, allowing many Pokemon with the increased power and extra STABs fill niches not even previous mons in Gen 7 had. Some of the best moves being stripped from a bunch of older Pokemon also increases power creep since it's mainly defensive options that were cut from movepools, which makes it harder to deal with offensive threats. I believe it is wrong to characterize this generation being weaker when a single move is more likely to cost you the game in Gen 9 than in Gen 7, and it's not always because of Terastal but the elevated power level of the threats. If Terastal were banned, I'd agree that the overall power level is lower than Gen 7's, but I take issue with that claim in this meta with Tera legal.
When I say weaker I mean as a result of the number of Pokemon. The more of any game pieces you add into a system the more it raises the power level and with half of all Pokemon missing from Gen 9, including TONS of extremely powerful ones such as Megas or Ultra Beasts, the power level we have now can easily be raised. As I said, this generation probably introducing the strongest collective of Pokemon of any generation and when they don't need to compete with the best stuff from earlier generations it only makes things even more problematic.

As a final note, while Megas do result in dozens of Pokemon with over 550 BST, because of the one per team limit the way it actually impacted the BST of a team is much lower. The Tapu and Ultra Beasts introduced in Gen 7 are a more direct comparison to the Paradox and Ruin Pokemon this gen, but what helped balance the massive surge of high BST Pokemon was it being in a large pond if you will so their net impact was smaller. Though if National Dex is anything to go on even with the full dex the new Pokemon would have made massive waves.

Last edited:
As usual I'd like to take discussions off course and bring spotlight to a cool pokemon I've had major success with

:weezing-galar:
Smokey boi

neutralizing gas is incredibly anti meta and i ran it for a while. shutting down weather, terrain, defogging on gholengo switches, really good. But honestly after playing around, a simple levitate set has turned out to be a lot sturdier. most kingambits lately are bulky so you can run max defense and still outrun and wisp but the 80 evs into speed hits 176 which outruns most gambit sets that arent max speed. you can also tank any hit and wisp on ogerpon, great tusk, roaring moon (non iron head variants), rillaboom, dragonite, samurott-h, sneasler, landorus, physical dragapult, weavile. effectively every relevant physical attacker fears poison/fairy stab or will-o-wisp, barring maybe ceruledge. combined with any unaware pokemon this creates a nearly unbreakable physical core. Thanks to levitate, poison typing and defog it also sits on gliscor and doesnt allow it to stack spikes. The set with special defense cops a hit from valiant fairly well and OHKO with sludge bomb in a pinch.

Weezing-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe OR
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD OR
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strange Steam
- Sludge Bomb
- Defog

This was just a little spotlight i might collect some replays and hit up the VR its definitely not C rank at the moment with all the Physical attackers running around.

As usual I'd like to take discussions off course and bring spotlight to a cool pokemon I've had major success with

:weezing-galar:
Smokey boi

neutralizing gas is incredibly anti meta and i ran it for a while. shutting down weather, terrain, defogging on gholengo switches, really good. But honestly after playing around, a simple levitate set has turned out to be a lot sturdier. most kingambits lately are bulky so you can run max defense and still outrun and wisp but the 80 evs into speed hits 176 which outruns most gambit sets that arent max speed. you can also tank any hit and wisp on ogerpon, great tusk, roaring moon (non iron head variants), rillaboom, dragonite, samurott-h, sneasler, landorus, physical dragapult, weavile. effectively every relevant physical attacker fears poison/fairy stab or will-o-wisp, barring maybe ceruledge. combined with any unaware pokemon this creates a nearly unbreakable physical core. Thanks to levitate, poison typing and defog it also sits on gliscor and doesnt allow it to stack spikes. The set with special defense cops a hit from valiant fairly well and OHKO with sludge bomb in a pinch.

Weezing-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe OR
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD OR
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strange Steam
- Sludge Bomb
- Defog

This was just a little spotlight i might collect some replays and hit up the VR its definitely not C rank at the moment with all the Physical attackers running around.
After trying to make NG Weezing-G work for the longest time, I agree that Levitate fits the meta more. However, I feel that there has to be some sort of combination that can turn NG Weezing-G into a dedicated Gliscor counter, maybe SubProtect with Air Balloon? How do you feel about it? Neutralizing Gas shutting down Poison Heal feels HUGE, although it might not be.

After trying to make NG Weezing-G work for the longest time, I agree that Levitate fits the meta more. However, I feel that there has to be some sort of combination that can turn NG Weezing-G into a dedicated Gliscor counter, maybe SubProtect with Air Balloon? How do you feel about it? Neutralizing Gas shutting down Poison Heal feels HUGE, although it might not be.
Gliscor's probably going to switch out the moment it sees Neutralizing Gas, so I think it might be better to build around getting that one free turn and punishing what comes after. Switch in after Gliscor's been out for a while, chunk them with accumulated damage to encourage a switch, then get up a layer of Toxic Spikes or go for a Will-o-Wisp. Air Balloon for sure is the play since it's fairly common for Gliscor to run Earthquake as its only attacking move.

What is even going on.
To add on to what others have said about power creep, here are the stats for each gen of OU in terms of the % of pokemon that were introduced that gen/total pokemon:

Gen 1 OU (13/13 100%) - Duh
Gen 2 OU (11/24 45.8%) - Should be 50% Gen 1 mons/50% Gen 2 mons if everything were even
Gen 3 OU (8/27 29.6%) - Still less than it "should be" being 33% for each gen
Gen 4 OU (21/49 42.8%) - A ton more than the 25% it should be at but definitely inflated since I'm also counting each Rotom appliance separate and the fact that there are mons in OU that aren't really OU anymore just when the tier was "locked" (Electivire being an example). Removing those examples it comes out currently at 12/33 36.4%
Gen 5 (13/52 25%) - still above the average of 20% but not by as much
Gen 6 (13/49 26.5%) - should be at 16.6%, a bit complicated depending on if you count megas as "gen 6 pokemon" which I did. I removed all pokemon OU by technicality from the count. If you don't count megas, the count is 2/49 4% https://emojipedia.org/skull
Gen 7 (10/49 20.4%) - still skewing above average of 14.3% slightly mainly ultra beasts and tapus
Gen 8 (7/35 20%) - counting melmetal since it was not usable before gen 8. Still slightly above average of 12.5%

Gen 9 OU (15/35 42.8%) - INCREDIBLY above the average of 11.1%. I'm again counting legends arceus mons as gen 9 since they weren't available in 8. This is without having any pokemon that are OU by technicality or anything else. Gen 9 just has that much power creep that near 50% of OU mons are introduced in this gen. Looking at what these pokemon have its no shock either. We're getting to the point where we're actually having discussions on Lando-T being outclassed. Power creep is usually bad but boy they knocked it out of the park with gen 9. This stat was even worse a month or two ago when i checked

There's also a discussion to be said on how many mons introduced go to ubers each gen and how they affect the meta when they fall back into OU. I'm not sure how to rule that. Either way ye Gen 9 mons are giga busted.. especially tough since we aren't really getting the walls to be able to deal with them either. Only makes sense that we'd be banning so many of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)