Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know if there's one thing I love about this metagame, it's the fact that shits crumpling faster than a cookie straight out the oven. You gotta admit: as horrible things seem, it is pretty funny to see one ban after another and a constant argument of who and where and what is banned

Or maybe that's just the anti-hero in me wanting to see complete and utter destruction

You know if there's one thing I love about this metagame, it's the fact that shits crumpling faster than a cookie straight out the oven.
what kind of cookies are you making bro, they're not supposed to do that
Or maybe that's just the anti-hero in me wanting to see complete and utter destruction
wow, so dark and edgy, they should call you hisuian samurott

Last edited:
To add on to what others have said about power creep, here are the stats for each gen of OU in terms of the % of pokemon that were introduced that gen/total pokemon:

Gen 1 OU (13/13 100%) - Duh
Gen 2 OU (11/24 45.8%) - Should be 50% Gen 1 mons/50% Gen 2 mons if everything were even
Gen 3 OU (8/27 29.6%) - Still less than it "should be" being 33% for each gen
Gen 4 OU (21/49 42.8%) - A ton more than the 25% it should be at but definitely inflated since I'm also counting each Rotom appliance separate and the fact that there are mons in OU that aren't really OU anymore just when the tier was "locked" (Electivire being an example). Removing those examples it comes out currently at 12/33 36.4%
Gen 5 (13/52 25%) - still above the average of 20% but not by as much
Gen 6 (13/49 26.5%) - should be at 16.6%, a bit complicated depending on if you count megas as "gen 6 pokemon" which I did. I removed all pokemon OU by technicality from the count. If you don't count megas, the count is 2/49 4% https://emojipedia.org/skull
Gen 7 (10/49 20.4%) - still skewing above average of 14.3% slightly mainly ultra beasts and tapus
Gen 8 (7/35 20%) - counting melmetal since it was not usable before gen 8. Still slightly above average of 12.5%

Gen 9 OU (15/35 42.8%) - INCREDIBLY above the average of 11.1%. I'm again counting legends arceus mons as gen 9 since they weren't available in 8. This is without having any pokemon that are OU by technicality or anything else. Gen 9 just has that much power creep that near 50% of OU mons are introduced in this gen. Looking at what these pokemon have its no shock either. We're getting to the point where we're actually having discussions on Lando-T being outclassed. Power creep is usually bad but boy they knocked it out of the park with gen 9. This stat was even worse a month or two ago when i checked

There's also a discussion to be said on how many mons introduced go to ubers each gen and how they affect the meta when they fall back into OU. I'm not sure how to rule that. Either way ye Gen 9 mons are giga busted.. especially tough since we aren't really getting the walls to be able to deal with them either. Only makes sense that we'd be banning so many of them.
Are you accounting for dex cuts.

Are you accounting for dex cuts.
Probably not since that would need another stat, what percentage of Pokemon available are from the current generation. And yes, with the current limited Pokedex the current generation of Pokemon is going to have an inflated influence at the start of a gen and slowly drop as time goes and more Pokemon get added by DLC (as an aside I think this is a good thing since it lets the new Pokemon get time in the spotlight before they get pushed down by the historical best of the best). When the generation started we had 218 fully evolved Pokemon (might have miss counted by a couple and I'm not accounting for extra forms such as Rotom adding +5) with 68 of those being Gen 9 so 32% roughly of the starting OU should have been Gen 9 Pokemon all things equal. That represents the maximum possible share of Gen 9 and even that is 10% lower than the current share. I think it's safe to say that even accounting for the cuts Gen 9 is having an outsized influence on competitive play.

Probably not since that would need another stat, what percentage of Pokemon available are from the current generation. And yes, with the current limited Pokedex the current generation of Pokemon is going to have an inflated influence at the start of a gen and slowly drop as time goes and more Pokemon get added by DLC (as an aside I think this is a good thing since it lets the new Pokemon get time in the spotlight before they get pushed down by the historical best of the best). When the generation started we had 218 fully evolved Pokemon (might have miss counted by a couple and I'm not accounting for extra forms such as Rotom adding +5) with 68 of those being Gen 9 so 32% roughly of the starting OU should have been Gen 9 Pokemon all things equal. That represents the maximum possible share of Gen 9 and even that is 10% lower than the current share. I think it's safe to say that even accounting for the cuts Gen 9 is having an outsized influence on competitive play.
Well put. Yeah im not counting for dexit, not sure how you would without changing the discussion to natdex or pure theorymon. But also dexit existed for gen 8 and it doesnt have nearly the same issue as gen 9.

Gliscor's probably going to switch out the moment it sees Neutralizing Gas, so I think it might be better to build around getting that one free turn and punishing what comes after. Switch in after Gliscor's been out for a while, chunk them with accumulated damage to encourage a switch, then get up a layer of Toxic Spikes or go for a Will-o-Wisp. Air Balloon for sure is the play since it's fairly common for Gliscor to run Earthquake as its only attacking move.
Okay so this is my first time sharing a replay so here goes nothing:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1975253524

Although I got hit with some unlucky crits and misses, I couldn't have asked for a better first game with this idea. Just switching to Weezing-G first thing after Gliscor is on the field felt like the life hack I needed. I put Flamethrower on it to check Gholdengo and funnily enough my opponent brought it, and after I grinded his Gholdengo down I had space to do what I needed. Infernape was a non-factor thanks to the Toxic Spikes I set with Weezing-G and Skeledirge nicely supporting with Hex. The team is far from perfect and this is just a first try but I'm really happy with what it went. In the end Pokemon is a game where a victorian capitalist kills flying squirrels or whatever Gliscor is supposed to be.

I have a hot take, gliscor isn’t that bad in my opinion, mainly because defensive pokemon tend to be good in gen 9 ou, now clearly, gliscor is very good, but its one of the very few reliable physically defensive mons since dondozo is easily worn down with leftovers and has to rely only on rest for healing with heavy duty boots and skeledirge has weaknesses to common types, while a gliscor toxic stalling you is quite annoying, im not really keen on the whole “ban gliscor to ubers” thing, i also think not the main reason why hazard stack is such an issue, since ribombee + gholdengo webss can invalidate most offensive oriented teams if the player knows what they are doing, its a reliable setter of spikes and stealth rock which do big chip damage and can be a threat if its hazard of choice is toxic spikes , but im not sure its broken, feel free to clown on me if i said something wrong

Last edited:
I've been thinking a lot about why it's so hard to find a good direction for balancing the current metagame. Because while there is a lot of consensus that the metagame is in a bad spot, there is a lot of argumentation on what the cause of the problem is, and hence what is the correct course of action. Pretty much any set of suspects or quickbans in any order would raise more complaints then consensus. Admittedly, I'm not a great player, so everything I'm about to say is a parroting of various more experienced player's opinions (whose forum posts I have read).

I think this dynamic of "what is the real issue" is highlighted in the current roaring moon suspect. Most people admit moon is strong, rather centralizing, and isn't some sort of keystone holding the meta together. But there is still a sizeable DNB camp, and all of their arguments seem to fall back either explicitly or implicitly on the idea that moon isn't the core issue. Some variant of, "sure, moon is strong, but it's only conditionally strong because the meta is broken/over-centralized due to X." I'd say this is a valid line of reasoning because of the current state of the meta.

Usually suspects are pretty linear. Most of SS's suspects were fairly clear cut before and after scenarios (is the meta more or less centralized without Urshifu-S or not? Vote accordingly). Even when there were multiple overpowered threats at a time, it seemed pretty straightforward to test them one at a time since their broken-ness didn't seem contingent on anything else. This is not true in SV, and I'd argue the main reason SV feels so hard to fix is because there are three core architypes of broken that each contribute differently to the over-centralized nature of the tier, and each must be dealt with mostly independent of the other tiers.

Those different architypes are as follows.

The Three Axis of Evil in SV OU

1. The 6 Brokens

The six brokens are :kingambit: :roaring-moon: :ogerpon-wellspring: :iron-valiant: :zamazenta: :sneasler:

These are the Pokemon that may be broken in the traditional sense. Too strong, too fast, too low opportunity cost, too difficult to reliably check, etc. You may disagree that all or any of these are strong to the point of being banworthy, at least by themselves. Or you may argue some other pokemon not listed needs to be banned as well. The point I'm trying to make here is that there are at least 6 pokemon I have seen or heard at least one good player want banned/suspected or eventually banned/suspected. At the same time, for each of these pokemon there is a sizeable contingent of players who will vouch for them to remain in SV OU, even kingambit.

2. Hazard Stacking

The main culprits are :gholdengo: and :gliscor:, but I'd also put :ribombee: here since I saw somebody say a big reason you need to run boots on non ho-offence is because you get smashed by webs otherwise. Not sure if this is true, but I thought I'd mention it.

This is pretty straightforward. As the argument goes, hazard stacking is so strong that you must run HO to prevent spikes and make games short or run boots fat to ignore spikes because hazard control is so bad. Since we can't add more hazard control, we should ban the setter or the blocker to alleviate hazard pressure.

3. Tera

Banning tera is actually talked about a lot less now than it was before DLC 1, but the point still stands that a tera ban or restriction could make a lot of the 6 Brokens and maybe even a couple of banned pokemon balanced again.

Why it Matters (And why fixing SV is so complicated)

The reason I split the broken elements of the metagame into these three categories is to illustrate that there are three fundamentally different forces that could be the cause of SV OU's centralization. And one of the reasons its so hard to balance is because nobody knows which one to prioritize first. For example, most people would say ban Kingambit, but a fair few people don't want a Kingambit suspect and instead want a tera one, with teras ban removing the necessity to ban Kingambit. Some people want the hazard elements gone first to see if balance is still chocked out of existence without constant hazard pressure, and if it isn't perhaps most of the 6 brokens don't need to be banned. And some want most or all of the six brokens banned, because maybe then there will be more opportunities to spin and thus hazards won't be so oppressive. There is no objective or clear right answer about what to prioritize, complicating matters.

What makes matters worse is that all three of these solutions (banning broken mons, hazards, or tera) could work. I want to emphasize that fact, because most people argue that another solutions to theirs won't lead to a balanced metagame and so we should go along with their solution. But it's also possible that banning either the brokens, or the hazards, or tera, or some combination of the three leads to a balanced and competitive metagame, entirely different than another balanced and competitive metagame that could've existed if a different combination of things had been banned. What this means is that the current suspect criteria of "is X too strong for OU" may not be sufficient for future suspects, since multiple different paths could lead to a balanced result.

I want to emphasize that everything I said in that last paragraph is ENTIRELY HYPOTHETICAL and by no means probable, but it is POSSIBLE. And I think it should be considered, because something like Gen 5 OU exists in its current state because a balanced metagame was pursued by complex banning weather as opposed to something else.

To complicate matters even further, within each of these subgroups the way in which to alleviate the problem is unclear. Tera is no simple thing to ban, since some people just want a restriction, which would alter the metagame in different ways. Banning Gholdengo versus banning Gliscor would both hurt the hazard game, but in drastically different ways. And as seen in the roaring moon suspect, there is almost no consensus on which of the six brokens is the most deserving of the next suspect, and which ones deserve a ban.

I write this post to try and put to words what I think a lot of people implicitly know about SV OU and why it's so hard to fix, hopefully so there can be a more productive forum about how to solve the Gordian knot that is this metagame.

Any critiques about my analysis are welcome, as it's hardly comprehensive and is comes from a complication of forum posts I've read rather than some tangible firsthand knowledge of the game.

Have a good day.
Damn, the
IMG_1998.png
is broken? Most my teams gloss over it and its grassy seed shenanigans

After trying to make NG Weezing-G work for the longest time, I agree that Levitate fits the meta more. However, I feel that there has to be some sort of combination that can turn NG Weezing-G into a dedicated Gliscor counter, maybe SubProtect with Air Balloon? How do you feel about it? Neutralizing Gas shutting down Poison Heal feels HUGE, although it might not be.
I dont know this months usage stats, but you need to ask yourself this. What does air balloon sub/protect weezing do if gliscor is not on the opponents team. Which is likely 60% of teams. Neutralising gas is still a good ability but you're relying on toxic orb to damage gliscor, how do you damage or disrupt anything else?

Gliscor is annoying but running a pokemon with freeze dry covers it pretty well, it can't even tera water to escape. ultimately there are better pokemon to counter it that arent deadweight if gliscor isnt present. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that doesn't run one of those physical threats I mentioned, which is why I consider levitate such a consistent pick.

Power creep this generation means every defensive pokemon needs to be able to handle like 3 meta threats minimum, which is sad for balance but I'll continue to try make it work.

I have a hot take, gliscor isn’t that bad in my opinion, mainly because defensive pokemon tend to be good in gen 9 ou, now clearly, gliscor is very good, but its one of the very few reliable physically defensive mons since dondozo is easily worn down with leftovers and has to rely only on rest for healing with heavy duty boots and skeledirge has weaknesses to common types, while a gliscor toxic stalling you is quite annoying, im not really keen on the whole “ban gliscor to ubers” thing, i also think not the main reason why hazard stack is such an issue, since ribombee + gholdengo webss can invalidate most offensive oriented teams if the player knows what they are doing, its a reliable setter of spikes and stealth rock which do big chip damage and can be a threat if its hazard of choice is toxic spikes , but im not sure its broken, feel free to clown on me if i said something wrong
I don't believe you're too far off, but I do think the issue with Gliscor is precisely the fact that he doesn't really get worn down by passive damage/knock off, which is an important avenue to beat those fat mons (and the reason Magic Guard Clefable is STILL a bastard). Ting Lu, Dondozo, Tusk, you get the picture. People often mention Gholdengo, but though the noodle-man is a factor for sure on the hazard stack specifics, that is only part of why Gliscor is a bitch.

It is even easier to see the issue now that Recover PP was nerfed so extreme longevity is at a premium.
Not getting worn down means you have to try to beat him through sheer damage (which is what he wants). You could try setting up in front of the bat, but that requires a very specific set of circumstances because it either toxics and puts a timer on you or, if you are immune, it hits you for SE damage. If you somehow manage to completely wall it with another bulky mon you may end up letting him hazard stack freely and/or gain the switch initiative. If you tailor a counter (Sub Balloon/levitate/flying, Bronzong lol) then, by forcing you to run a suboptimal set, Gliscor is generating value just by existing.

Then again it is one of the most used mons of the tier (the next part is partial conjecture on my part because I don't run Gliscor, but I do watch tons of ladder matches when I'm busy) an alarming amount of matches end up in just... boring... stalemate scenarios where the best Gliscor answer is another Gliscor, which then spend 30+ rounds PP-stalling each other.

All in all, Gliscor is not only incredibly strong as a physical wall through pure bulk and passive regeneration, but it also flowcharts off of the regular counters, requiring specific stuff to hold it off, which even then he will most likely make progress as the check switches in due to his knock off/toxic/EQ/spikes availability.

pultmemegostz.jpeg

Are we going to talk about :dragapult: drop in usage? I mean 16% is still very good but nowhere near what it used to be. I'm sure :kingambit: and :roaring-moon: + booster :iron-valiant: any many other things hamper it, but it wasn't as bad in post home where all the same threats where relevant... (note that oct usage stats are coming soon!!)

Specs is its most viable set, then maybe band for revenging but its a tera hog, and the utlity sets are really bad as Gambit kills you anyways as well as :cinderace: preforming as a better Wisper that it. Don't even get me started on Sash + DD, I have seen that on high ladder so more for some reason...

elocheck.png

But in OMs, pult dominates. Just getting rid of that shitty ability does so much for it. Then again, Clear Body is seeing more usage thanks to it ignoring the speed drop from webs. If you want to check out how silly op pult is in oms, give this thread a read. Its really informative for all you you OU heads. https://www.smogon.com/articles/oms-keep-breaking-dragapult. <-- super cool read!! :blobwizard:

P.S. why is everyone so serious on this thread? I'm trying to lighten the moon with some memes :)

View attachment 564497
Are we going to talk about :dragapult: drop in usage? I mean 16% is still very good but nowhere near what it used to be. I'm sure :kingambit: and :roaring-moon: + booster :iron-valiant: any many other things hamper it, but it wasn't as bad in post home where all the same threats where relevant... (note that oct usage stats are coming soon!!)

Specs is its most viable set, then maybe band for revenging but its a tera hog, and the utlity sets are really bad as Gambit kills you anyways as well as :cinderace: preforming as a better Wisper that it. Don't even get me started on Sash + DD, I have seen that on high ladder so more for some reason...

But in OMs, pult dominates. Just getting rid of that shitty ability does so much for it. Then again, Clear Body is seeing more usage thanks to it ignoring the speed drop from webs. If you want to check out how silly op pult is in oms, give this thread a read. Its really informative for all you you OU heads. https://www.smogon.com/articles/oms-keep-breaking-dragapult. <-- super cool read!! :blobwizard:

P.S. why is everyone so serious on this thread? I'm trying to lighten the moon with some memes :)
I've heard people say this about Porygon-Z but Pult really is the ultimate "give it an inch, it'll take a mile" mon in terms of one buff being needed to break it. I think you kinda have your finger on the pulse when it comes to why it's fallen off a bit compared to HOME. It just doesn't appreciate a lot of the meta trends rn, besides maybe the fact that Garg and Ting-Lu are less common. Knock Off is everywhere again and its speed is slightly less amazing this gen between Booster mons (including rmoon now), Gambit's suckers, Zama, and now Sticky Web if it's not running HDB. That being said, it's still Pult, and it can still hold its own as a pivot or wallbreaker; there's a reason it's A+ rank on the VR. But I can see why it's fallen from being a top 10 mon usage-wise

Replying to a post from the Roaring Moon suspect thread. Agree with taking it off that thread; I didnt like contributing to the current derailing of that thread with talks of Ghold/Gliscor

I appreciate your response as it does make some good counter-arguments. Admittedly writing my post I was probably exaggerating a bit because I was exasperated by how common takes like "gliscor wouldn't even be broken without gholdengo" seem to be in ou discussions. To reiterate, I'm not strictly against a Ghold suspect, and am just trying to say that clearly broken shit like Gliscor, Tera Set-Up mons like Waterpon and Veil/Webs abusers like Manaphy are making the mon seem much more scarier than it actually is and should be tackled first, and then Ghold if it's still broken.

Some of the mons included in the list are suboptimal yes, but I didn't make the VR. It was more intended to be a snappy commentary on how Ghold only really restricts Corv than any ironclad argument (which is what the main body of my post moreso was). Also you're underrating Weezing. Also Cyclizar definitely can beat Ghold, the most popular pre-DLC stall team used it for this purpose (among others). Cyclizar and Mandibuzz are restricted by Gliscor is mostly why they're not OU.

The fact of the matter is that hazard-stack wasn't this bad before Gliscor. Samurott and Ting-Lu were powerhouses in the tier, but Pokemon were at least allowed to run items other than boots lol, and leftovers reliant Pokemon like Heatran and Garg were actually good. My biggest fear is that banning Gholdengo would massively catapult the usage of Corviknight (an extremely obnoxious Pokemon that actually feels reasonably strong in this meta for once). The ensuing Corviknight/Amoongus meta sounds like it could very well be duller than this one (and probably even more braindead, which makes the implication that I'm "reliant on Ghold" particularly amusing lol). At the end of the day, Corviknight is the only significant hazard remover that can't deal with Ghold. A single Pokemon, and a notably irritating one at that historically speaking. Unless you're reliant on Corv for whatever reason then using literally anything else would work, except for the fact that Gliscor invalidates most of them (e.g. Cinderace, Mandibuzz, Tusk).

To summarise, the biggest priorities for the time being should be to go after the Gliscor's, Waterpon's, Gambit's, Light Clay's and whatever else needs to go until DLC2 where we can hopefully re-examine how tera has lead to one of the most volatile and heavily banned metagames ever. We can look at Ghold then, since don't get me wrong it's a top 3 mon sans some of the obvious brokens, but there are such more important things. Also you don't need to be Tera Dark Shadow Ball on stall Blissey, I prefer flamethrower myself.

P.S. At this point this is absolutely derailing. If you wanna respond can you tag me in the OU Discussion thread please? This is at the end of the day about Moon first and foremost and I don't want to take away from that. My stance on moon remains Ban for reasons listed by Finch and everyone else.
I agree with some of this but I feel like we should be tackling all of these broken threats (Gliscor and Spikes in general/Webs/Veil) at the point that's common among all of them (besides setup sweepers but i think those should go as well and will be more obvious once we get back to a meta where balance is viable) The point of commonality really exists in Gholdengo. Light Clay/Webs weren't really broken in any OU prior to this gen, and I don't really see why we should be considering it as broken now when there IS something that is new that is contributing to it being seen as broken (as well as spike-stack in general which is the more pressing matter)

Personally I just disagree with a lot of the assessments here. Realistically Ghold is blocking hazard removal from a lot of these mons even if it is sacrificing its own life. It does come down to playstyle, but if you can play Gholdengo in a way that blocks hazard removal from Tusk/Treads/anything that tries to beat it with coverage, you can use Ghold to stop these mons from doing their job, so I don't understand when people say "its only blocking Corviknight". It just isn't in practice. And what that means is actually really impactful for the tier since no spinblocker has ever had this level of viability in all the gens where defog wasn't removing hazards. I'll admit Gliscor and the tons of other hazard removers are playing a part, but this really does imply a lot by utterly preventing removal. I've said before but even having one instance of getting off a spin/defog consistently changes the tier dramatically.

This is a reason I don't see Gliscor as that much of a threat, in the context of hazards. If we COULD defog once it makes gliscor waste more turns getting up hazards again just for another potential defog. I've played games against gliscor where I have defog and they don't have gholdengo, I don't think its really that bad. In essence Gliscor as a pokemon just gets really annoyed, which will reduce its viability by some amount. Whether its still broken afterwards I'm not sure it matters. Because if we go the other route and we ban Gliscor but not Gholdengo, we still continue to see spike stacking in the other pokemon I mentioned before :samurott-hisui: :Glimmora: :ting-lu: . I personally think hazard stacking is bad with any of them to face, all forms of hazard stacking even Glimmora teams really just ruin balance's viability unless they love boots on every mon. I know Gliscor *feels* the most impactful right now when we play, but keep in mind so much of the tier is already warped around what works in and around Gholdengo so you won't feel its presence until its gone.

The last point I disagree on is with the fear of an incoming Corviknight/Amoongus meta. I know we are all afraid of things becoming gen 8 again, but I do not think that is even possible right now. With tera, along with the myriad of options offense has right now, there will always be more ways of getting around stallier pokemon than ever before. I don't think many of the stallier pokemon are really that viable in OU right now. Corv sits at a B+ which i personally think is really high for it, its incredibly passive. Amoonguss is better since it has Spore, but keep in mind we're in a HO meta and spore does incredible work vs HO. Removing the Hazard stack issue like i think Ghold's removal would do would in turn revive balance making a single spore not quite as devestating (as well as other things we're afraid of, webs, certain setup sweepers). And while corv would without doubt rise in viability after Ghold's removal, I think we are still so far away from a stall meta and so deep in the HO swamp that seeing a bit more viability in these bulkier mons would actually be a welcome change. Hell, I know people we're arguing about Moon's worthiness for a ban in that thread- I think every setup sweeper gets worse when balance becomes more viable. It means we can start running actual defense evs into more pokemon like tusk. So yeah the stall mons will get better, honestly that's my whole point. HO is warping OU disgustingly this gen, even regardless of tera. Let's return to a point of normalcy please. I would rather have that that needing booster-speed priority boots sash trick room or full stall to play the tier. HO meta is stinky.

Also sorry for the essay. Lot of thoughts on this mon. I don't like responding to every post regarding Gholdengo which I've kinda been doing in this thread, but I hate seeing the arguments for it go uncontested in a discussion because it is just so warping IMO and should be priority #1. Sentiments that it isnt even broken to begin with i feel like should be challenged/thought about aggressively by the OU community.

TLDR if Ghold goes hazard stack in general is worse as opposed to if Gliscor goes which is just one leg of hazard stack. A lot of issues with common OU strats that were never broken before (screens/spikes/webs) literally all are fine without defog-blocking. Bulkier pokemon need to be thrown a bone stall nerfs were insane and it may even be contributing to all these bans. You cannot have strong offensive pokemon in OU without having equally strong defensive pokemon to answer it. This is the whole yin and yang of HO and stall.

Last edited:
If you look at the OU Viability Rankings, something becomes abundantly clear.

Hazard Management Methods which bypass or otherwise threaten Gholdengo:

* :great-tusk:
* :cinderace:
* :glimmora:
* :hatterene:
* :torkoal:
* :mandibuzz:
* :maushold:
* :hawlucha:
* :iron-treads:
* :weezing-galar:
* :cyclizar:

Hazard Management Methods That Lose Outright to Ghold

* :corviknight:
* :scizor: (no Thief)

It's pretty clear to me that Gholdengo is not the issue with the hazard metagame in this tier, and the people who insist it is are probably the same people who leaned on Corviknight as a crutch during Generation 8. Gholdengo has been mostly fine all Generation and it's clearly Gliscor, a spike-setter with infinite sustainability that comes in on itself, that is the main offender. No other hazard setter can achieve feats like setting up 3 spikes, getting them Court Changed, and then coming in to setup another three reliably. Even if you slot Ice Spinner on Tusk (lets be honest, mandatory right now), Gliscor just eats it, toxic's the Tusk and clicks Protect to take a net 50% that it can heal later against most physical attackers in the tier, winning the trade. The proof is in the pudding; Zamazenta used to run Band and now can only run boots. Sneasler used to run Protective Pads and now can only run boots. Even Kingambit, a Steel-type, these days seem to be mostly boots. Without Gliscor this becomes so much less of a problem. Sure, a Samurott-Hisui can set up a few hazards reliably, but it'll probably die doing it, meaning the problem goes away once you remove the hazards left behind.

It's not like Ghold going even really helps that much for Corv vs Gliscor. Corv comes in, and gets knocked while Defogging, which when hazards are so easy to set seems like a winning trade to me. It's not like Corv can threaten Gliscor at all, you're just letting it heal, losing your item, and giving it a free switch and therefore momentum into anything that beats Corv. In theory, Gholdengo shouldn't even be a great counter to Corviknight and Scizor, as they can U-Turn on the obvious switch and gain momentum while popping the likely balloon. The problem is, Corviknight is forced to run Iron Defense in this meta to cope with the insane physical threats such as... the one this suspect thread is about (which I recognize and apologize for the off-topic rant).

If you wanna say Ghold is broken for shit like breaking stall with NP Psyshock, as someone who uses stall fairly often I would retort:
1. Good stall teams all run Tera Dark Blissey these days
2. Psyshock Ghold is suboptimal into most other things, being a dedicated stallbreaker isn't ban-worthy or else mons like Hoopa-U and Ursaluna would be on the chopping block

Clearly to me, this mon is a positive contributing force to the meta (imagine fighting an Amoongus without it. Not fun.), and its versatility opens up a lot of doors in teambuilding, which I like. As I said, it hasn't been a problem until now, and maybe getting rid of the clearly-warping Michael Jordan of Spikes and Healing first is the right move. If Ghold is still broken after that, maybe, but, there are clearly far bigger meta warpers to address first, such as (to keep this on topic), tera-abusing set-up sweepers like Roaring Moon.
(moving this discussion to the correct thread because even though i like how you managed to fit roaring moon in here this is not relevant to the suspect)
hatterene crumbles to both ghold's stabs, mandibuzz is too weak to actually threaten ghold, mold breaker defog lucha is a meme set, geezing is better with levitate (and i say this as an advocate of neutralizing gas), no one has ever or will ever run iron punchline treads because tusk exists, and cyclizar has been irrelevant since approximately january.

having said all this, i still believe that you're right and gliscor needs to be suspected first

View attachment 564497

Pult is still bullshit imo, particularly against many balanced squads that elect not to run Garganacl or Kingambit. Specs pult has no switch-ins, forcing you to run crap like Tera Dark Gholdengo in order to not get 6-0'd. I have been trying to get suspect reqs and doing it with balanced feels very hard because Tera Ghost Specs Pult is quite common on low ladder and these teams often don't have the tools to deal with it too well outside of their own Tera. Clefable gets completely bopped by Tera Ghost Specs Shadow Ball, as does Clodsire.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Gliscor is a clear suspect candidate before Gholdengo (not that Gholdengo itself is immune to tiering though).

Gliscor is the best setter we have had all generation while also providing a ton of value as a potential SD sweeper or utility presence. It limits what you can do in the builder to the point that we see a lot more extremes in the metagame; in addition, it continues to evolve with the tier as we saw slow U-turn and SD sets to feast on opposing passive Gliscor followed by faster/Ice Fang sets to feast on opposing SD Gliscor and so on.

Obviously Gliscor is beatable and a larger discussion is needed, but if either is to be suspected -- and I wholly believe that should be the case -- then Gliscor should be suspected. And it should be the next suspect. Nothing else is bigger.

Kingambit, Manaphy, and even Ogerpon-Wellspring deserve suspects. You can even argue for Sneasler or Gholdengo as alluded above. But once the Roaring Moon suspect is over, I hope the attention shift to Gliscor is reflected in the survey results and whatever discussion is out there.

lots of clear good stuff
That's dope. For real, really good to have you guys working. When I last played we were still in Gen 5 and the then/now contrast is absurd.

Pult is still bullshit imo, particularly against many balanced squads that elect not to run Garganacl or Kingambit. Specs pult has no switch-ins, forcing you to run crap like Tera Dark Gholdengo in order to not get 6-0'd. I have been trying to get suspect reqs and doing it with balanced feels very hard because Tera Ghost Specs Pult is quite common on low ladder and these teams often don't have the tools to deal with it too well outside of their own Tera. Clefable gets completely bopped by Tera Ghost Specs Shadow Ball, as does Clodsire.
I dunno man. Clodsire? It can take a hit for sure
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 192-226 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Ghost Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 158-186 (34.1 - 40.1%) -- 36.6% chance to 3HKO
The issue is the 20% spdef drop chance. Maybe Covert Cloak to ensure consistency (and a solid plan to keep hazards out :worrywhirl: )
---

Unrelated: I wonder if the next inevitable Kingambit suspect will be another overwhelming majority just like Bloodmoon. Unless my memory is failing me, I recall some DNBs mentioned tera was the issue, but now that things have settled and it was clearly communicated that balance goals are for the immediate meta (pre-DLC2 and tera suspect) those voters may change their minds and we could get another "yeah, just checking lol" suspect

Gliscor is a clear suspect candidate before Gholdengo (not that Gholdengo itself is immune to tiering though).

Gliscor is the best setter we have had all generation while also providing a ton of value as a potential SD sweeper or utility presence. It limits what you can do in the builder to the point that we see a lot more extremes in the metagame; in addition, it continues to evolve with the tier as we saw slow U-turn and SD sets to feast on opposing passive Gliscor followed by faster/Ice Fang sets to feast on opposing SD Gliscor and so on.

Obviously Gliscor is beatable and a larger discussion is needed, but if either is to be suspected -- and I wholly believe that should be the case -- then Gliscor should be suspected. And it should be the next suspect. Nothing else is bigger.

Kingambit, Manaphy, and even Ogerpon-Wellspring deserve suspects. You can even argue for Sneasler or Gholdengo as alluded above. But once the Roaring Moon suspect is over, I hope the attention shift to Gliscor is reflected in the survey results and whatever discussion is out there.
How much is Gholdengo paying the council to downplay its terrible crimes and release propaganda on other mons as distraction? This menace must be stopped!

Don't ignore how the corrupt council (led by crooked Finchinator!) is ignoring the crimes of Sleepy Gholdenjoe while at the same time trying to ban a Real Paldean Patriot in Roaring Moon. They ban Pokemon, stall becomes viable again. Just watch! The Fake Radar of this website will continue to ignore Psycho Gholdenjoe in favor of the woke stall agenda. Sad!

I don't know how to make this simpler for you. I'm sorry if I sound condescending but I laid everything out very clearly in my post, and your posts read like they're only looking at the first half of my sentences. Therefore, I'm going to elaborate on everything to make sure nothing is misunderstood.

Tiering policy is to stay as close to cart as possible, but exceptions can be made if there's no better option. I think you don't understand what the phrase "as possible" means in this context. 100% cart accuracy all the time for everything would include glitches like acid rain and Gen 1 Fly/Dig that can create unplayable game-destroying battles. Either you are advocating for having those glitches implemented into Showdown's official competitive formats, which means you are not intelligent enough to take seriously in the first place, or you don't want glitches that hurt the game that badly included, which means you do agree with me that, at bare minimum, there is a threshold where inaccuracy is preferred and changes can be made.

Changes to the status quo must justify themselves when presented and not the other way around. I'm not obligated to defend Sleep Clause because it is already precedent. You are obligated to defend the position that Sleep Clause should be removed. No, your argument is not self-evident. Make some points.

The fact that it's not on cart is irrelevant because Sleep Clause is implemented knowingly in spite of this fact. You going "Sleep Clause should be removed because it is not replicable on cart" is going to be met with "Yeah, we know, but it was decided that this improved the metagame at one point, so it was deemed an acceptable compromise". You have to have something else. Even one more thing. Come on. You keep saying I have yet to refute your argument, but that's only because you have yet to make an argument.

Because you seem to be allergic to any phrasing that implies even one person on Earth actually likes Sleep Clause, and I somehow am being dishonest or misrepresentative by saying that enough people liked it to make it a thing, I'm going to have to phrase it like this: At one point in time, someone thought Sleep Clause was a good idea that made the game more competitive. That person suffered a heart attack immediately afterwards and all of their supporting members woke up from the mind control that let them think it was a good idea, and now everyone hates it and wants it gone. However, the rule is in line with tiering policy (Yes it is, don't interrupt), so you also need to follow policy. Tell me how removing Sleep Clause improves the metagame and/or makes it more competitive.

But like, don't actually tell me. This isn't the policy review thread. Go complain there, where someone will listen and take you more seriously than I am. I'm only responding to this because you're deliberately cherry-picking statements without context and rephrasing what I say to make me sound less intelligent and wrong, and I don't want you to keep thinking that's a cool thing to do. Do better.
I'll take it to policy review when I get the chance. But no, I haven't rephrased anything you've said. I get that the mod was implemented with the knowledge that it was a mod; that's not the point. My argument is that it was the wrong decision to mod the simulator, irrespective of its competitiveness. Please also don't act like you haven't been cherry picking or selectively responding. I'll drop it, whether you choose to respond at this point or not, as you're right that this is the wrong place to discuss.

Unrelated: I wonder if the next inevitable Kingambit suspect will be another overwhelming majority just like Bloodmoon. Unless my memory is failing me, I recall some DNBs mentioned tera was the issue, but now that things have settled and it was clearly communicated that balance goals are for the immediate meta (pre-DLC2 and tera suspect) those voters may change their minds and we could get another "yeah, just checking lol" suspect
I doubt we're getting Gambit's retest with this DLC. Glis is all but locked to be next and we have two other mon that are further up the line than the King. Couple that with the proximity to the previous test and the fact that, imo, the reset should only happen after we know if Tera is sticking around or not given many voted DNB because of it so having that figured out first is the more prudent way to go about things imo.

Alright, which one of you just clapped me on the ladder with Banded Dachsbun? Take me out to dinner first before you whomp me like that, damn.

On another note, I'd like to share a set that I've been having quite a bit of fun with -

250px-0350Milotic.png

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Dragon Tail​

STAB Scald + Recover with Haze + Dragon Tail, Milotic is probably one of my favorite support mons right now. Condenses multiple support niches into a single slot while punishing Intimidate users + Webs teams; also works quite well on hazard stack thanks to Dragon Tail. Milotic is slept on hard rn

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Alright, which one of you just clapped me on the ladder with Banded Dachsbun? Take me out to dinner first before you whomp me like that, damn.

On another note, I'd like to share a set that I've been having quite a bit of fun with -

View attachment 564852

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Dragon Tail​

STAB Scald + Recover with Haze + Dragon Tail, Milotic is probably one of my favorite support mons right now. Condenses multiple support niches into a single slot while punishing Intimidate users + Webs teams; also works quite well on hazard stack thanks to Dragon Tail. Milotic is slept on hard rn
Think it might be worthwhile to invest a bunch of evs into speed, around 88 evs or so, to outspeed max speed Kingambit?

Think it might be worthwhile to invest a bunch of evs into speed, around 88 evs or so, to outspeed max speed Kingambit?
Personally, I haven't had too many issues with Gambit against Milotic regarding it outspeeding, so I prefer to keep the defensive EVs; Kingambit doesn't have a chance to 2HKO with Kowtow Cleave until 4 allies fainted on Supreme Overlord (14.1% chance), and 5 allies fainted is 74.2% chance

Keep in mind that 4 Speed Milotic with no investment speed ties 252 Adamant King (both at 199), so if that's important to you, you could instead run this EV spread

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Dragon Tail​

This way you're at 200 speed - I don't think dealing with Jolly Gambit is worth sacrificing more defensive EVs, dealing with Adamant is more than enough imo; Jolly's power can't 2HKO Milotic without Swords Dance boosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)