Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
RMT Leader
Doing that puts you at an extreme disadvantage though, which is the problem. You are essentially forced to win both SM and ORAS/SV (Depending on if we talking Masters or STour) every time if you forfiet SS. I'm not bashing SS OU to be clear (I'm actually pretty fine with how it is in its current state), I just wanted to bring up that it's really not that simple.
Your post was clear enough to me, don't worry! But I do think the answer to that is still relatively straightforward: you play these games for fun at the end of the day. If gen 8 is truly unenjoyable to the point that you are constantly chasing shadows in a gen 9 metagame discussion thread, you should prioritise your enjoyment of Pokemon over a few pixels on an online forum.

Last edited:

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
So, we got confirmation of at least most of the old legendaries coming back. The trailer didn’t show Tapus or our Gen VI box mons, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they did return.

The mon I feel like is the most discussion worthy for OU is easily :Kyurem:. It got banned last gen, but it presumably is losing Roost and it traditionally has started OU, despite getting buffed to the moon in Gen VIII. What do yall think of it coming back to OU presumably?

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
New trailer: revealed almost nothing from what we already knew

Quick thoughs:

:suicune: this could be potentially good if pex stays down and the tapus don't come back, he is bulky enough to take on a lot and could work on some balances or hazard stacks

:entei: it has sacred fire, but doesn't feel appealing

:raikou: I guess it's another electric type with ice coverage now but idk, doesn't seem very appealing

:latias: and :latios: both are pretty similar, heavy prediction reliant and overall pult is better, but I can see them having a niche, I hope they keep defog, if they do then at least there's that

:cobalion: S+++++++ in UU

:virizion: S++++++ in RU? I have no idea what's going on in the lower tiers

:terrakion: I have no idea where this guy is gonna end up, but I guess justified + dark resistance could mean gambit check?

:kyurem: this thing got banned because of too many deadly sets, and while the power creep is bigger, tera could be the thing it needs to keep up and maybe get banned again

:kyurem black: remember when this thing was OU? He is never coming back, but I felt the need to mention it

:magmortar: lower tier

:exeggutor: lower tier

:cinccino: lower tier

:toucannon: lower tier

:galvantula: lower tier, but has sticky webs + compound eyes, so if he gets sleep powder I can see it having a niche

:vileplume: lower tier

:flygon: gamefreak I'm begging, please buff this thing

:keldeo: this one did not appear in the trailer, but I'm assuming he is back since his brothers and sister are back, this seems outclassed by both greninja and walking wake, I don't know what kind of niche he could have

People are sleeping on Venusaur, mon is just ludicrous under sun,
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Venusaur Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Skeledirge: 185-218 (45 - 53%) -- 28.5% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 312-368 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Venusaur Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 299-354 (98.3 - 116.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Venusaur Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Heatran: 608-717 (157.5 - 185.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Tera Fire Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite in Sun: 133-156 (41.1 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It does have a bit of 4mss with sbomb for d-night and tera grass tran and earth power for pre tera tran clodsire and dirge.

So, we got confirmation of at least most of the old legendaries coming back. The trailer didn’t show Tapus or our Gen VI box mons, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they did return.

The mon I feel like is the most discussion worthy for OU is easily :Kyurem:. It got banned last gen, but it presumably is losing Roost and it traditionally has started OU, despite getting buffed to the moon in Gen VIII. What do yall think of it coming back to OU presumably?
:sv/kyurem-black:
Got a question for ya: remember Baxcalibur? You know... that one Dragon-Ice type that was obscenely broken under Veil and Snow. Now what if we made it EVEN STRONGER??! A DD Kyurem Black is 1000% stronger than Swords Dance Baxcalibur. Earth Power isn't even much of a drawback for it -- and losing Roost didn't mean shit for Baxcalibur (who had 0 source of healing)

Normal Kyurem also got obscenely good because of Dragon Dance + Icicle Spear. Sub Roost might be gone, but what's stopping Kyurem from doing what it did in gen 8 again? Don't you DARE say Terastallization -- because just like you can become a Steel type, so can Kyurem. Yea no thanks

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
Got a question for ya: remember Baxcalibur? You know... that one Dragon-Ice type that was obscenely broken under Veil and Snow. Now what if we made it EVEN STRONGER??! A DD Kyurem Black is 1000% stronger than Swords Dance Baxcalibur. Earth Power isn't even much of a drawback for it -- and losing Roost didn't mean shit for Baxcalibur (who had 0 source of healing)

Normal Kyurem also got obscenely good because of Dragon Dance + Icicle Spear. Sub Roost might be gone, but what's stopping Kyurem from doing what it did in gen 8 again? Don't you DARE say Terastallization -- because just like you can become a Steel type, so can Kyurem. Yea no thanks
Kyube is not making it to OU, let’s not kid ourselves. But if Kyurem is losing roost that is a decent nerf to its longevity. It makes sub sets harder to abuse and it makes its item usage even more constrained. You want loaded dice for DD, but want Boots due to hazards being ass. You want lefties or specs for special sets (pending choice or sub) but boots is a hard sell to give up .

I would not be shocked if Kyurem is banned, but it probably is starting Ou and wouldn’t be banned for a little bit.

Eh from what I remember, Kyurem's ban was in part due to it having the option to run SubRoost and stall out/overwhelm its usual checks and counters

I might be wrong as I started gen 8 right after it's ban but from what I can tell, it havin roost was a pretty big deal

Ofcourse this was pre nerf roost, if it retains roost the SubRoost set wont be nearly as effective as last gen

+2 200 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 145-171 (47.5 - 56%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Yeah bro real weak.
my brother in christ do you have reading comprehension +2 200 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Tera Ground Serperior: 582-686 (190.8 - 224.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Tera Ground Serperior: 306-362 (100.3 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Quick thoughs:

:suicune: this could be potentially good if pex stays down and the tapus don't come back, he is bulky enough to take on a lot and could work on some balances or hazard stacks

:raikou: I guess it's another electric type with ice coverage now but idk, doesn't seem very appealing

:latias: and :latios: both are pretty similar, heavy prediction reliant and overall pult is better, but I can see them having a niche, I hope they keep defog, if they do then at least there's that

:terrakion: I have no idea where this guy is gonna end up, but I guess justified + dark resistance could mean gambit check?

:kyurem: this thing got banned because of too many deadly sets, and while the power creep is bigger, tera could be the thing it needs to keep up and maybe get banned again

:kyurem black: remember when this thing was OU? He is never coming back, but I felt the need to mention it

:galvantula: lower tier, but has sticky webs + compound eyes, so if he gets sleep powder I can see it having a niche

:keldeo: this one did not appear in the trailer, but I'm assuming he is back since his brothers and sister are back, this seems outclassed by both greninja and walking wake, I don't know what kind of niche he could have

:suicune: I had a pretty good team in SS OU (balance team ofc), which was great, and had fun with it (which was by itself a notable achievement, since SS OU is the most boring meta of all time). Idk if it can deliver this gen, too many good water types (like the most stupid mon in OU rn, waterpon)

:entei: The only good dog is :suicune: Even its past version rocks, just like :salamence:

:raikou: Meh, another crappy dog suited for RU

:latias: and:latios: are back, and in a meta plagued by darks, fairies and ghosts. Good luck staying in OU lol

:cobalion: I'm more excited for its future version, the upgraded :metagross:

:virizion: This mon is just like all of us: we suck right now and we will still suck in the future. Being a plebeian in a late capitalist world does that.

:terrakion: Ehhh, could be a revenge killer I guess. It is outclassed by hisui :arcanine:

:kyurem: and :kyurem black: are also back and straight to Ubers. They are like :baxcalibur: but on meth, speed, steroids, cocaine and any other stimulant you might think of

:magmortar: :exeggutor: :cinccino: :toucannon: :galvantula: :vileplume: :flygon: Nothing to say here, unless you want an endless rant about how SS OU is the worst meta ever

My thoughts about mons appeared in all trailers:

Kyurem might be ou without roost, but loaded dice dragon dance with scale shot icicle spear can make it banworthy. Kyurem Black and Solgaleo are here for the joke, they're uber.
The sets aren't good, I made these quickly for fun.
I don't know about Suicune, I hate facing this mon, but if it loses Scald, it will be soooo bad.
Skarmory could find a niche with hasards, maybe iron press, maybe whilrlwind.
Smeargle can have a niche thanks to gholdengo, but I think it's bad, because taunt exists and it's way to slow.
Basculegion F > Kingdra.
Reuniclus in a gambit metagame seems not good at all.
Blaziken is unpredictable, this set isn't good off course, but with tera and other moves, it could be good.
Latias and Latios seem both bad, because of gambit, ghold, ting-lu and booster IV.
About Swampert, I don't see it being ou, but maybe uu depending on the moves it learns.
Feraligatr is funny but definitely too slow, perhaps even for UU.
Primarina could check a few mons like iv, samurott-h, gren, depending on the ev spread, but it doesn't seem so good.
Necrozma doesn't seem good in ou at all.
Terrakion can be a wallbreaker, but is easily encore or revenge killed. Cobalion may be a strange lead.
Malamar is very bad, but funny with Tera.
Cinccino seems funny with loaded dice technician in lower tiers, it can do real damage.

Keldeo, my favourite mon, isn't confirmed, but could be UU, perhaps there would be a niche in ou but I'm not sure. Moreover, my little poney may lose scald (sorry for the surname lol).
Screenshot_20231207-161124_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231207-161205_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231207-161310_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231207-161020_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231207-162647_Chrome.jpg

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Well its obvious, it checks Kingambi…

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 283-334 (87.6 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Outsped by Wogre and Valiant, and outclassed by Gren and Wake. Maybe a CM set could work since Pex and the Pink Slowtwins are rarely ever seen, but I don’t see a reason to use it in OU.

Well its obvious, it checks Kingambi…

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 283-334 (87.6 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Outsped by Wogre and Valiant, and outclassed by Gren and Wake. Maybe a CM set could work since Pex and the Pink Slowtwins are rarely ever seen, but I don’t see a reason to use it in OU.
Sub + Secret Sword = No more gambit
However, I think Keldeo will be UU, except if my mon receives some big buffs, but perhaps even Nasty Plot wouldn't be enough...
Keldeo is too slow, too easy to revenge kill (Rillaboom, iv, enamorus scarf, dragapult, ogerpons), may lose scald, and choice sets would be too prediction reliant, especially in a meta ruled by ghosts and Waterpon. Amoongus beats Keldeo ( The unicorn can learn air slash but it's not an ohko and Amoongus has regenerator). Without scald, Keldeo wouldn't even threaten to burn mons like dragonite and dragapult on switch-in.
Clearly, Keldeo has nothing to do in ou, except with awesome buffs, even tera sub cm can just be beaten by encore or a band pult in rarer cases.

Just play Gren or Wake like you said.

Hopefully Keldeo loses Scald. I remember Specs Keldeo in ORAS and BW being good and have big resentment towards it. Fuck this Mon, he deserves to be bad and suffer in irrelevance from now.

Will use this post to comment the other new Mons:

Quick thoughs:

Suicune: Probably still annoying with Pressure, but hard to use. Tera Grass and Dragon look promising defensively. Hopefully it loses Scald.
Entei: If Heatran usage goes down again (hopefully so), this guy looks good, especially in Sun.
Raikou: I hope this one does keep Scald, Tera Water CM looks promising if so.
Latias: Cute, CM + Stored Power + Weakness Policy is always fun.
Latios: Hopefully irrelevant, but will get some usage due to great coverage and Stats.
Cobalion: Hello, Gambit check.
Virizion: Has way too low offensive power to be worth using with that typing. Doesn,t get defensive utility either unlike Chesnaught.
Terrakion: Actually interesting, Tera can get rid of his bad defensive typing and the STAB combo is very strong (except vs Gholdengo).
Kyurem: Probably gets banned due to Tera. I think his ban last Gen was an undeserved one, but this time is needed.
Kyurem-B: This has no place in OU even without Tera.
Kyurem-W: Same here.
Magmortar: Give Armor Cannon NOW. Won,t make it OU, but will make it fun to use. Tera Poison and Steel are perfer Amoonguss counters btw.
Electivire (if Magmortar is in, its safe to assume this one gets in too): Boltbeam Mon, but not enough speed and power. Needs Plasma Fist urgently.
Jynx: Always OU viable, Tera gives it more defensive power in Rain... or Boltbeam, being better than Electivire at this due to Lovely Kiss.
Exeggutor: Fully outclassed by a lot of things.
Alolan Exeggutor: Decent in TR. Can get rid of bad typing with Tera and abuse Sitrus Berry Harvesting.
Cinccino: Needs Tidy Up to not be outclassed by Maushold.
Toucannon: Has a very interesting move that burns Mons that make contact. His typing was not very good, but Tera does give it potential. Still far from being dominating OU threat, but I can it being usable.
Galvantula: Webs + Boltbteam, aka good.
Vileplume: Strength Sap is worse than the Regenerator Amoonguss has.
Bellosom: Tera Fairy Quiver Dance user. Stats don,t help, but movepool is actually good.
Flygon: If it has Defog, could be good. Otherwise, just a mediocre DD Sweeper outclassed by SD + Scale Shot Chomp. Can,t break Dondozo.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Fire Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex in Sun: 294-347 (96.7 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Bruh wtf lol I can’t wait for this.

Lot of cool shit I’m seeing coming back.

Legendary dogs, Suicune will be its usual self. Entei is underrated. Raikou will still suck.

Pert will probably be OU as a rocker that beats Tusk, Treads, and Cinder.

Reuniclus will be stupid cheese with Tera .

Kingdra will be a worse Basculegion-F (loses spin blocking ability and Shadow Ball > Dragon STAB)

Keldeo and all the legendary bovines check Gambit (in theory).

Latias? Stored Power + Tera + Agility. Gah.

Latios = screens Dragapult with Memento

Kyurem = busted. Ban.

Blastoise / Primarina / Feraligatr will be OU viable Pokémon that end up in UU.

Since darkrai is available now, will we have to go through the decision of dropping/keeping it in ubers rn or will we just wait for the dlc proper anyway? Not like this meta has much time left
This wouldn't really be the impetus, as Darkrai was already in-game through Home, the distribution just gives an easier means to access it, compared to the Pre-Home Starter/Paradox Raids where the mons were impossible to obtain before those Raids and thus hadn't been considerations until they were announced for those.

Latias? Stored Power + Tera + Agility. Gah.

I can see this, but cresselia basically does the same thing, and it isn't a huge issue. Latias is more offensively oriented, though. I can see it being annoying as fuck with t wave and healing wish though, as well as being a good check to tusk without knock off.

By the way, are gambit and ghold getting suspected at any point? Or will the dlc add mons that can deal with them? I suppose that the swords of justice deal with gambit, but gholdengo cooks all but one of them, so it might actually rise in the metagame. Just wanted to hear other's opinions on the subject.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:Suicune: Will be OU / UU material, depends if it has Scald or not to be honest will be the breaking point to see which ledge it leans towards but the Sub / Protect PP stall sets have been pretty good in the past maybe not as much currently with all the Encore running around but I'm sure it will still be a very solid UU Pokemon with some light niche in OU.

:Entei: Will not be viable, pretty much a worse version of :Arcanine-Hisui: excluding Sacred Fire being something cool to spam probably RU-NU IMHO.

:Raikou: I can see it being pretty viable strictly because of the speed tier and something else to abuse Volt Switch + very good set of moves (coverage), I don't think it will be OU but I can see it being UU / RU

:Latios: It's pretty good in Natdex UU, variety of moves and always a good choiced user. I see it being UU.

:Latias: Same as above, with a bit of OU usage honestly.

:Cobalion: - Really good UU mon, access to Stealth Rock / Volt Switch will always welcomed plus taking on Kingambits Iron Head and Sucker Punch will give it some viability in OU I think (Niche)

:Virizion: - Will be bad, will be most likely a PU Pokémon maybe chance of being NU. Bad typing bad overall type, and move pool is average

:Terrakion: - Really good Pokemon will probably be UU / RU unless introduction of new moves but pretty bulky for its speed and is still an extremely threatening sweeper, very niche in OU.

:Kyurem-Black: - Quick banned, moving on...

:Kyurem: - I can see it being OU, I don't think it's an auto-uber depending on what moves it keeps or loses it's essentially a worse version of Baxcalibur before DLC1 minus the versatility of it's various sets it can run (Physical / Special / Fat)

:Flygon: - Yeah will probably be RU / NU, won't elaborate further then that since it has no shot of being OU.

:Galvantula: - Worse version of Rimbombee as a webs setter but I think it will be better then last generation especially if Gholdengo decides to stay with us. Probably PU / NU.

:Serperior: - Will be a very good OU Pokemon, in Natdex UU where Tera is banned and only has access to HP Fire, I can see it offensively being much better in OU with conjunction of changing its type and a stronger attack like Tera Blast (Fire). Also don't forget how good Glare is.

:Blaziken: - I think it will be OU or Uber because I think of all the unaware Pokemon running around it has a chance to stay OU, but yeah changing it's type plus getting 1 Swords Dance up can be a lot to handle in any position.

:Reuniclus: - Think of this, Magic Guard + being a better version with what Cresselia already did. Only thing to stop you is encore. Imagine Tera Electric + Grassy Seed combo with Rillaboom, can't get paralyzed, EQ is resisted, and you have Calm Mind and Acid Armor if you want or you can just go the Stored Power + Focus Blast route with recover. Yeah easily OU / UU material IMHO.

:Necrozma: - Y'all sleeping on blood, fantastic ability, solid bulk, ability to Tera and option to Calm Mind sweep or Dragon Dance sweep? Yeah I think it will have some sort of niche in OU calling it now, probably not a usual but still.

Yeah, I fear the lati twins won't make it to OU but I think they'll be good or way too good for UU. They're "fast" (The 4th faster in the tier) and somewhat bulky and let me not get into their utility which is amazing. They'll still have their niche in OU.

I see the Lati Twins running solid Tera Steel sets. Tera Steel + Levitate is a very good defensive combination as Hydreigon has shown us. That said, Hydreigon's resistances to Dark are Ghost in its base typing are far more favorable than Latios and Latias's weaknesses to those types, particularly in Gholdengo and Kingambit's Turf. Hydreigon also has far better coverage, which is invaluable in a few key MUs. The lati twins have recovery and better speed, but even with that, I'm not sure they will be better than Hydreigon.

Blaziken is a wild card. It most likely will do fine in this metagame, particularly with its old checks like Toxapex no longer being as good, but 4MSS and its poor base speed will make it harder to position I think. Dying to its own recoil from Flare Blitz won't be fun. It likely will wind up similar to Quaquaval - a Pokemon that can be very difficult to respond to under the right circumstances, but needs a bit of support with its checks before it can get to that point.

Serp to me seems like a Volcarona level threat with Tera Blast. That being said, I think Volcarona should be OU, so Serp will likely find it self in a similar spot - top tier OU, but not overpowered. If Dengo winds up getting banned, I see this mon having a lot of potential on webs teams and Spikes stacks as a way to disincentize Defog with its ability raising evaision lmaooooo.

I promise not to spam the forums with my love of all things Vileplume. It would be nice if it could have a Sinistcha niche.

I wanna try Tera Fighting Serp. And we don't even know if it has any new toys that it gets in particular!

:Suicune: Suicune's mono-water typing and wonderful stat distribution will always allow it a place in OU, however, its viability will be severely hampered without access to Scald if it doesn't get that move. Without the ability to threaten physical attackers with a burn on the switch-in, a lot of Suicune's potential utility is shattered. Would likely run a Calm Mind Scald Rest Talk set (unless it gets some new, even more viable options).

:Entei: Sacred Fire - could potentially be a solid offensive utility attacker with Sacred Fire, Extreme Speed, Crunch, and Tera Blast (leaning towards Tera Blast Ground at the moment) as it's not required to run Choice Band like Harcanine is.

:Raikou: This is going to be Raikou's best generation offensively since GSC/ADV imo - Calm Mind with Tera and the myriad of its coverage options is fantastic (recall that last gen it had access to Aura Sphere, Extrasensory, Scald, Shadow Ball, and Weather Ball - if it gets even a few of those alongside Tera Blast, it'll have a solid OU niche).

:Latios: Latios still hits hard and is decently fast, but being a Pokemon weak to Dark, Ghost, Bug, Ice, and Fairy in this current meta is going to hurt its viability quite a bit (although Tera will alleviate that somewhat). Levitate, great coverage and solid offensive stats are working for it.

:Latias: I think this will be the first generation where Latias is going to be the consistently better choice compared to Latios - Tera Steel/Poison defensive variants with Levitate sound nasty with its access to reliable recovery; it's a great lure for Pokemon like Iron Valiant and I'm looking forward to using it in OU.

:Cobalion: Steel/Fighting is a great type combination, and 108 Speed is a pretty usable but frustrating benchmark (although Jolly 252 Cobalion does outspeed Enamorus, Adamant Cinderace, Modest Greninja, Adamant Ogres and all the base 100s, which is nice). Plus, Cobalion has a nice base 129 defense stat in addition to the ability Justified (helping it in its potential role as a check to non-Low Kick Kingambit variants). It could have a neat niche in OU as a Taunting Stealth Rocker with momentum via Volt Switch and the ability to check Kingambit. (+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 156-183 (48.2 - 56.6%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO).

:Virizion:As much as I love Virizion, it's got extremely strong competition this gen; Breloom is a much better utility Grass/Fight Pokemon overall, while Lilligant-H is a much better offensive Grass/Fighting type overall. Chesnaught is very solid and Decidueye-Hisui has a small niche. If they give Virizion access to additional utility moves (Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, etc), I could see it being a specially bulky SubSeed user with the ability to check Kingambit, but otherwise, its potential for a place in OU is very shaky.

:Terrakion: Most likely the most solid of the trio - Rock/Fighting is a phenomenal offensive typing in the current meta, with its STAB combination nailing OU Pokemon like Blissey, Ceruledge, Cinderace, Dragonite, Enamorus, Garganacl, Greninja, Heatran, Iron Moth, Kingambit, Rock-Oger, Ribombee, Hamurott, Skeledirge, Ting-Lu, and Zapdos super effectively (that's a huge portion of OU right there).

:Kyurem-Black: Baxcalibur on steroids. Kyurem-B is likely not staying in OU if it drops.

:Kyurem: While it has less attack than Baxcalibur (Baxcalibur has 145 attack while Kyurem has 130 attack and Kyurem is additionally rumored to have lost access to Roost) and lacks the Thermal Exchange ability, Kyurem's bulk (125/90/90) is far better than Baxcalibur's (115/92/86) and Kyurem can additionally run mixed sets thanks to its base 130 Special Attack stat as well. On top of that, Kyurem's base 95 Speed stat is critical compared to Baxcalibur's 87 speed stat which allows Kyurem to outpace both Great Tusk and Landorus-Therian (Baxcalibur has a speed tie with Tusk and is outsped by Landorus-T). Regardless of whether Kyurem loses both Roost and Earth Power, I don't see him staying in OU.

:Darkrai: If it drops to OU for testing in DLC 2, I can see it being strong but not overwhelming. Darkrai usually needs a setup turn regardless of the main sets it would likely be running, and choice items are situational at best. Additionally, being limited to Focus Blast/Tera Blast for fighting coverage is pretty disappointing. The tier is already in a state of hyper-dark-type awareness due to Kingambit, Greninja, Ting-Lu, and Hamott so some potential checks and counters are well documented. Along with those previously mentioned woes, Darkrai feels very pressured Tera-wise (both against threats it could potentially take down and what Tera-type to use itself). Overall, I think it would be a solid addition to the OU meta (likely A- to A rank imo).

:Flygon: Depending on Flygon's utility movepool, it could have a small niche as a technical utility Pokemon (especially if it retains access to Defog and U-Turn). Its stat spread is looking pretty meager by OU standards these days though. Hopefully it will get some buffs, but otherwise, it's looking like Flygon will likely not see much OU play.

:Galvantula: Potentially a really fun Sticky Webs setter - Compound Eyes with STAB Thunder along with STAB Bug Buzz and access to coverage like Giga Drain is solid. Its 108 Speed tier is frustrating (although outpacing Manaphy and potentially threatening an OHKO is nice), and its bulk/defensive typing are paltry, but then again, so are Ribombee's. If Galvantula gets access to Sleep Powder, it will definitely have a niche as an OU webs setter.

:Reuniclus: Reuniclus is a great mon overall with multiple fantastic abilities, access to reliable recovery, and Tera to alleviate its problems with Dark-type and Ghost-type threats. I can see both Magic Guard and Regenerator variants becoming solid niche choices in OU.

:Necrozma:I have to agree with awyp that Necrozma is extremely slept on and is only going to get better with the advent of Tera + likely some small additional movepool options. Great setup moves, a fantastic ability, a wide offensive movepool, and solid stats all across the board, I can see Necrozma being placed UU but being a frequent niche mon used in OU.

Last edited:
This wouldn't really be the impetus, as Darkrai was already in-game through Home, the distribution just gives an easier means to access it, compared to the Pre-Home Starter/Paradox Raids where the mons were impossible to obtain before those Raids and thus hadn't been considerations until they were announced for those.
I'm stupid as shit dog I forgot this guys been in here forever :tymp:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)