Resource SV OU Post-HOME Viability Ranking Thread [ Final Update: Post #280 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
:garganacl:: -1 Subranking (A+ to A)
Call in False Swipe Gaming to make the Garganacl Theorem, because it is the face of a Pokemon that puts a chokehold on the metagame when simple adaptations fall out of favor, but when they come back, it loses that broken kick. Covert Cloak isn't quite as common as it used to be, but instead it's really Encore, Taunt, and Substitute that get in its way this time.[/spoiler]
I though it was the Golurk theorem. Seriously, I've played a lot of NU and EVERY SINGLE TIME Golurk became popular itemless Vileplume became popular to check it reliably. Same for gen 8 OU Mandibuzz, gen 7 Greninja, gen 5 Terrakion or even straight up Walking Wake, Ursaluna and Zamazenta this gen.

Last edited:
I though it was the Golurk theorem. Seriously, I've played a lot of NU and EVERY SINGLE TIME Golurk became popular itemless Vileplume became popular to check it reliably. Same for gen 8 OU Mandibuzz, gen 7 Greninja, gen 5 Terrakion or even straight up Walking Wake, Ursaluna and Zamazenta this gen.
Itemless Vileplume takes me back.

Question, is rank determined mostly by usage? What I mean is, if there's a pick that can do some significant damage to the meta, but is...slept on, so to speak, is it still possible to be ranked fairly high?

Or did I just describe the purpose of lower ranked?

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Question, is rank determined mostly by usage? What I mean is, if there's a pick that can do some significant damage to the meta, but is...slept on, so to speak, is it still possible to be ranked fairly high?
Correct! There are a lot of Pokemon that see higher use but aren't exactly top tier (Hisuian Samurott being #5 in usage but only A rank, for example), and the opposite can be true as well. Viability =/= usage, essentially

tyranitar no longer being UR is unfortunate but i have to ask why frosmoth is ranked? from what i can tell it only really has a good matchup against great tusk and its defensive typing and speed stat make it too inefficient to reliably sweep with QD. sure theres terastallization but i wouldnt have expected that to singlehandedly give it a niche in OU
What Rootb said, but yes it's explained in the rises

Itemless Vileplume takes me back.

Or did I just describe the purpose of lower ranked?
Is partially by usage, partially by effectiveness, generally of the archetype the pokémon is used on. Cresselia for example did not got higher rating despite higher usage because the niche she had was been known for experts since very early on (Probably due to NatDex and Espathra the devil), and so did the counterplay (This is a reason Kingambit stayed in OU btw. The other one is Dragapult) which made her a solid pick on some balance teams, fitting for a B+ but not much else.

Weekend? I meant week; it definitely autocorrected, trust me :worrywhirl:

Rises
  • :gholdengo: A+ to S-
  • :cinderace: A- to A
  • :walking-wake: A- to A
  • :hatterene: B+ to A-
  • :rotom-wash: B+ to A-
  • :glimmora: B to B+
  • :iron-moth: B to A-
  • :greninja: B to A
  • :meowscarada: B- to B+
  • :rillaboom: B- to B
  • :scream-tail: B- to B
  • :torkoal: B- to B
  • :clodsire: C+ to B
  • :hawlucha: C+ to B-
  • :iron-hands: C+ to B-
  • :moltres: C+ to A-
  • :scizor: C+ to B
  • :alomomola: C to C+
  • :blissey: C to C+
  • :maushold: C to C+
  • :polteageist: C to C+
  • :thundurus-therian: C to B-
  • :armarouge: D to C
  • :breloom: D to B-
  • :floatzel: D to C
  • :abomasnow: UR to C
  • :brute-bonnet: UR to C+
  • :froslass: UR to D
  • :frosmoth: UR to C
  • :iron-jugulis: UR to C+

Drops
  • :dragapult: S to A+
  • :iron-valiant: S to S-
  • :garganacl: A+ to A
  • :roaring-moon: A- to B+
  • :ursaluna: A- to B+
  • :volcanion: A- to B+
  • :slowking: B+ to B
  • :basculegion-f: B to B-
  • :tornadus-therian: B to B-
  • :arcanine-hisui: B- to C+
  • :mew: B- to C+
  • :articuno-galar: C+ to C
  • :ceruledge: C+ to C
  • :braviary-hisui: C to D
  • :kleavor: C to D
  • :regidrago: C to D
  • :slowbro: C to D
  • :zapdos-galar: C to D
  • :electrode-hisui: D to UR
  • :tyranitar: D to UR
Rises:

:greninja:: +4 Subrankings (B- to A)
To anybody who has been playing on the OU ladder or paying attention to WCoP lately, this meteoric rise should be a surprise to nobody. Even with its nerf, Battle Bond is still a shockingly great ability, providing +1 Special Attack and Speed to Greninja who packs an elite dual STAB combination, great coverage, and very serviceable power that's able to be augmented by its own Spikes, HO-oriented teammates, or Rain support. With this, Greninja can not only be a very potent wallbreaker, but also a monstrous cleaner that can be hard to stop without dedicated tools.

:moltres:: +4 Subrankings (C+ to A-)
Moltres's good bulk and defensive typing alongside access to Flame Body and threatening natural power allows for it to serve as one of the tier's best Iron Valiant checks while also packing utility into Kingambit, Great Tusk, Dragonite, and Zamazenta-Hero with the combination of Will-O-Wisp and Flame Body. With very respectable usage in WCoP and high ladder alike, Moltres has found itself rising quite dramatically alongside Greninja.

:breloom:: +3 Subrankings (D to B-)
Even with the power creep brought in by Pokemon HOME, its access to Spore, powerful priority that threatens Kingambit, and solid resistance profile into rising star Greninja and Hisuian Samurott enables it to be a solid revenge killer, wallbreaker, and good check into many deadly options at offense's disposal, while being a boon for offense itself.

:brute-bonnet:: +3 Subrankings (UR to C+)
Brute Bonnet has proven to still be an excellent resource for Sun in WCoP lately with the raw power of Protosynthesis and Loaded Dice-boosted Bullet Seed alongside the utility of Spore and Sucker Punch. This helps greatly for the structure's otherwise inconsistent matchup into Kingambit while also being generally useful for cleaving past annoying bulky Water-types like Dondozo and the obnoxious Garganacl.\

:iron-jugulis:: +3 Subrankings (UR to C+)
The distant future isn't without its own UR to C+ candidate; Iron Jugulis has seen success as a versatile tool for HO. Alongside Speed-boosting Quark Drive, it is able to make effective progress with the combination of STAB Knock Off regardless of its middling base Attack and Taunt to remove items and block recovery/Court Change while also packing a punch. Relying on Hurricane, though, can be a really dicey Achilles' Heel.

:iron-moth:: +2 Subrankings (B to A-)
Iron Moth has seen a resurgence, boasting very respectable success on Sun and HO structures with its Speed-boosting Quark Drive sets and its weirdly flexible defensive profile into Iron Valiant and Sneasler. Its set flexibility enables it to run Substitute to blank Garganacl and take advantage of its bulk alongside Tera, or it can choose to dive deep into its great coverage profile or simply go balls to the walls with Tera Water or Ground Tera Blast.

:meowscarada:: +2 Subrankings (B- to B+)
Meowscarada's Speed tier alongside access to STAB Knock Off, Spikes, U-turn and Taunt keep Meowscarada a reliable lead and offensive pivot. Its Speed tier alongside Protean give it some nice utility as a Choice Scarf user, too, which can be useful against dangerous cleaners like Iron Valiant, Speed-boosting Great Tusk, Greninja, and non-Ice Shard Baxcalibur.

:clodsire:: +2 Subrankings (C+ to B)
While its passivity can hurt, its great special bulk and access to Water Absorb enable it to serve as one of the tier's few reliable checks to Greninja, while being an effective option into Iron Valiant, Dragapult, and Walking Wake. This alongside its access to Toxic and hazards give it far more applicable utility on bulkier structures than before.

:scizor:: +2 Subrankings (C+ to B)
Scizor's access to powerful priority that threatens Iron Valiant and Enamorus alongside a solid defensive typing, Swords Dance, and STAB U-turn give it solid cleaning and revenge killing ability.

:thundurus-therian:: +2 Subrankings (C to B-)
Choice Specs and dual dance sets go brrrnt.

:abomasnow: + :frosmoth:: +2 Subrankings (UR to C)
Abomasnow and Frosmoth are partners in crime, so it probably makes sense to discuss them together. Abomasnow's ranking is mostly carried by Snow Warning and Aurora Veil, making it a decent dual Screen setter that also can enable Frosmoth (and other teammates) easier setup opportunities by setting Reflect and Light Screen simultaneously. Frosmoth, on the other hand, is truly what reaps the reward of this rise. With Snow, Tera, Aurora Veil, and Ice Scales, it can easily accrue several Quiver Dance boosts and use the combination of Tera Blast and STAB Ice Beam to wipe out unprepared teams.

Drops:

:dragapult:: -2 Subrankings (S to A+)
With the extremely commanding success of Kingambit and the annoying presences of Ting-Lu, Amoonguss, Speed-boosting demons like Iron Valiant, Garganacl, Dragapult's strength can be very hit or miss. Though, it is still a phenomenal option in the metagame with its unparalleled Speed tier, spammable dual STAB combination, pivoting, and fantastic status spreading ability, just not one that was as dominant as it used to be.

:iron-valiant:: -1 Subranking (S to S-)
Its versatility precedes it, but the metagame is continuing to adapt to its presence in spite of its absurd offensive flexibility. Widespread use of Galarian Slowking, Amoonguss, and an uptick in Moltres/Clodsire usage means that moveslot limitations are continuing to catch up with it. As such, it isn't quite able to succeed Magearna or Volcarona in the realm of beating anything it wants to anymore.

Call in False Swipe Gaming to make the Garganacl Theorem, because it is the face of a Pokemon that puts a chokehold on the metagame when simple adaptations fall out of favor, but when they come back, it loses that broken kick. Covert Cloak isn't quite as common as it used to be, but instead it's really Encore, Taunt, and Substitute that get in its way this time.

As per usual, the thread will also be open for anybody who has questions about any rises/drops that haven't been explained in the list above or for any Pokemon that received no changes for about 24 hours or so. Nominations will not be open yet!! Furthermore, If you have a question, please just see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Thank you for your patience!
Slowking is still listed as B+.

fixed, ty - ausma

I'm suprised that Ursaluna dropped to a B+? I really only played at HOME's launch and I'm surprised that it's now this low. What happened?
It was never that good after Magearna got banned. Too slow, common switch in to it's STAB moves (ghost and flying), special bulk not that great even with Max HP, defensive typing isn't that great either (weak to water, grass, fighting, ice). Fighting weakness sucks in a meta with Great Tusk and Iron Valiant everywhere. Spikes + Burn makes its big HP much less impressive than it should be.

Essentially, it's not a brainless 1 click win Mon, it has decent amount of counterplay and has several downsides. Still very good, but far from broken, and not as splashable

It was never that good after Magearna got banned. Too slow, common switch in to it's STAB moves (ghost and flying), special bulk not that great even with Max HP, defensive typing isn't that great either (weak to water, grass, fighting, ice). Fighting weakness sucks in a meta with Great Tusk and Iron Valiant everywhere. Spikes + Burn makes its big HP much less impressive than it should be.

Essentially, it's not a brainless 1 click win Mon, it has decent amount of counterplay and has several downsides. Still very good, but far from broken, and not as splashable
Yeah, I'm trying to make something spicy, but he needs so much support.

CaptainSC

THE 'Hype Boy'
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm suprised that Ursaluna dropped to a B+? I really only played at HOME's launch and I'm surprised that it's now this low. What happened?
Frankly, it’s too slow which makes it prediction reliant. whether u like it or not just about every team is gonna have a gold or a pult or even a dirge + a ground immune. and by no means are they a reliable luna switch but it’s still a headache to try and predict around them.

And another problem you really want that free turn to activate that guts flame orb combo. and it’s not easy to get free turns in such a fast pace + insane of pivoting w glowking, pult, corv, ace, zapdos, moltres, meow all being high usage mons. which basically means that there’s too much offensive pressure for u to really get attacks off consistently.

Also spikes are at an all time high as of rn thanks to the prominence of samurott-h and or ting-lu effortlessly setting up spikes. So your switches are even highly limited.

and frankly just ab all the top pokémon can threaten big 60-70% damage to mama bear and with its hazard vulnerability, piss poor speed and it basically requiring a free turn where free turns aren’t the most common place……. it makes sense that it’s at B+ despite its unparalleled power with guts facade.

also a quick side note…. bold physdef moltres always lives 1 guts facade from luna……. so yah…….

(tbh i think it might fall even lower)

Last edited:

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Don’t mean to be petty but bulk is definitely not Ursaluna’s issue. 130/80 special bulk puts it at roughly 99, almost Mew levels, which is very high for an offensive Pokémon.
the problem with its bulk is that it becomes less impressive with hazard and burn chip and it also has no reliable recovery to offset it

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Not surprised at all by this, high spAtk, decent bulk and typing, an amazing ability, AND reliable recovery. Not to mention great coverage with Focus Blast, Dazzling Gleam, Thunderbolt, Psyshock as well as other useful moves like Trick and Thunder Wave. Able to run defensive, offensive np, and Scarf (even seen a few using specs which is hard to switch into). Perhaps the only things holding him back are mediocre speed and Kingambit's (and recently Ting-Lu's) big presence in the meta. Had the king gotten banned I could see this potentially being the number one Pokemon. Apart from being pretty diverse, this is one of the best Pokemon on hazard setting offense teams, being able to naturally block both Rapid Spin and Defog. Also offering some defensive utility while not being too passive is great.

One thing I feel you need if you're running hyper offense/bulky offense is a reliable special attacker. A lot of hyper offense teams rely on physical attackers (SD Val, Bax, King, Sam, Dnite etc.) And they're known to be taken advantage of by none other than Curse Dondozo.

Without a strong special attacker Pokemon like Curse dozo, ID Garg and to a lesser extent ID Corv and BU Tusk will likely cause you a world of problems. For example in the recent wcop game Malekith ran the German 6 with Zap>Enam making the strongest special attacker a lot weaker, as a result Curse Garg was a massive pain to KO (admittedly Tera Electric is unexpected but I feel the point still applies).

All this to say Ghold is a great example of a good special attacker that is almost always very useful and never dead weight for all reasons listed above.

Nominating Tauros-Paldea-Aqua from UR to C rank.

Don't have time for a huge essay so here's my reasoning in short: Tauros-Aqua checks gambit and bax decently well, even taking into account them teraing. If they still have their tera, click bulk up to scout for their tera instead of close combating into a resisted tera. I run tauros on a rain team, so rain-boosted raging bulls / wave crashes is good mid ground for doing reasonable damage no matter what they tera into. Furthermore, switching around to take advantage of intimidate can also prevent these guys from getting out of control (eg random gambit reverse sweeps). Obviously tauros isn't a counter that's going to consistently 1v1 gambit/bax, but teams need multiple checks for them anyway, especially gambit, and tauros does a good job keeping them temporarily at bay for offensive teams.

Aside from checking gambit/bax, Tauros notably finds itself switch-in opportunities to popular threats such as tusk, lando-t, and sam-h. Conveniently, its base 100 speed tier is just enough to outspeed all five of these mons I've mentioned so far. With these switch-in opportunities, Tauros can then be a formidable threat, particularly under rain. In my opinion, Tauros has two sets: Bulk Up and Choice Band (see spoilers below), and just enough tools to make progress. With Bulk Up, you can threaten a late game clean, which is useful since your opponent will likely keep their gambit for late game anyway. One free turn may be all you need to make significant progress, which is possible if your opponent doesn't respect / isn't aware of bulk up or if you tera electric to flip the matchup on Zapdos. Saving Bulk Up for later and throwing out rain-boosted water moves may also make progress and notably damage water-resists for other team members (eg swift swimmers). Secondly, Choice Band offers immediate power, takes advantage of Tauros's high bp dual stabs, and Tauros has the coverage for common switch ins (Zen Headbutt for pex/amoongus/water absorb clod, Stone Edge for Zapdos), and Aqua Jet is also an option.

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Raging Bull / Wave Crash
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Trailblaze / Zen Headbutt / Aqua Jet

Additional notes: I recommend using Wave Crash + Zen Headbutt together because this combination really limits what can switch into tauros, allowing it to function more as a breaker opposed to cleaner. Aqua Jet gets a special mention if you really wanna play mindgames with gambit sucker punches, or your team lacks priority.

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wave Crash
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt / Aqua Jet
- Aqua Jet / Stone Edge

Additional notes: Stone edge is for zapdos, and zen headbutt is for pex/clod/amoongus, but aqua jet gives more utility and solid power with rain + tera water.

For more of an explanation, check out my RMT that peaked #17 using Tauros-Paldea Aqua rain.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1884823722-ar32x52bitemwjpwvk3rpn5auvm34ucpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1884800250-28xnnmzfrxn7cb18kb6ccpoi0tekxmdpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1888181405-c5csuitm2idezix9mt9iou4md43h1eupw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1889627325-lotvhs4gzizz9uaq7qj8yx1f72u2ja6pw

Sorry the replays are a little old; I did not realize Tauros was unranked otherwise I would have posted sooner. Fwiw no new bans have taken place since these replays anyway, and gambit/bax are still just as dominant in the current meta.

Last edited:
Why hasn't garchomp dropped any subranks? Definitely feels like a C+ or B- rank mon considering where it is in the meta right now and how its really struggling at the moment

Weekend? I meant week; it definitely autocorrected, trust me :worrywhirl:

Rises
  • :gholdengo: A+ to S-
  • :cinderace: A- to A
  • :walking-wake: A- to A
  • :hatterene: B+ to A-
  • :rotom-wash: B+ to A-
  • :glimmora: B to B+
  • :iron-moth: B to A-
  • :greninja: B to A
  • :meowscarada: B- to B+
  • :rillaboom: B- to B
  • :scream-tail: B- to B
  • :torkoal: B- to B
  • :clodsire: C+ to B
  • :hawlucha: C+ to B-
  • :iron-hands: C+ to B-
  • :moltres: C+ to A-
  • :scizor: C+ to B
  • :alomomola: C to C+
  • :blissey: C to C+
  • :maushold: C to C+
  • :polteageist: C to C+
  • :thundurus-therian: C to B-
  • :armarouge: D to C
  • :breloom: D to B-
  • :floatzel: D to C
  • :abomasnow: UR to C
  • :brute-bonnet: UR to C+
  • :froslass: UR to D
  • :frosmoth: UR to C
  • :iron-jugulis: UR to C+

Drops
  • :dragapult: S to A+
  • :iron-valiant: S to S-
  • :garganacl: A+ to A
  • :roaring-moon: A- to B+
  • :ursaluna: A- to B+
  • :volcanion: A- to B+
  • :slowking: B+ to B
  • :basculegion-f: B to B-
  • :tornadus-therian: B to B-
  • :arcanine-hisui: B- to C+
  • :mew: B- to C+
  • :articuno-galar: C+ to C
  • :ceruledge: C+ to C
  • :braviary-hisui: C to D
  • :kleavor: C to D
  • :regidrago: C to D
  • :slowbro: C to D
  • :zapdos-galar: C to D
  • :electrode-hisui: D to UR
  • :tyranitar: D to UR
Rises:

:greninja:: +4 Subrankings (B- to A)
To anybody who has been playing on the OU ladder or paying attention to WCoP lately, this meteoric rise should be a surprise to nobody. Even with its nerf, Battle Bond is still a shockingly great ability, providing +1 Special Attack and Speed to Greninja who packs an elite dual STAB combination, great coverage, and very serviceable power that's able to be augmented by its own Spikes, HO-oriented teammates, or Rain support. With this, Greninja can not only be a very potent wallbreaker, but also a monstrous cleaner that can be hard to stop without dedicated tools.

:moltres:: +4 Subrankings (C+ to A-)
Moltres's good bulk and defensive typing alongside access to Flame Body and threatening natural power allows for it to serve as one of the tier's best Iron Valiant checks while also packing utility into Kingambit, Great Tusk, Dragonite, and Zamazenta-Hero with the combination of Will-O-Wisp and Flame Body. With very respectable usage in WCoP and high ladder alike, Moltres has found itself rising quite dramatically alongside Greninja.

:breloom:: +3 Subrankings (D to B-)
Even with the power creep brought in by Pokemon HOME, its access to Spore, powerful priority that threatens Kingambit, and solid resistance profile into rising star Greninja and Hisuian Samurott enables it to be a solid revenge killer, wallbreaker, and good check into many deadly options at offense's disposal, while being a boon for offense itself.

:brute-bonnet:: +3 Subrankings (UR to C+)
Brute Bonnet has proven to still be an excellent resource for Sun in WCoP lately with the raw power of Protosynthesis and Loaded Dice-boosted Bullet Seed alongside the utility of Spore and Sucker Punch. This helps greatly for the structure's otherwise inconsistent matchup into Kingambit while also being generally useful for cleaving past annoying bulky Water-types like Dondozo and the obnoxious Garganacl.

:iron-jugulis:: +3 Subrankings (UR to C+)
The distant future isn't without its own UR to C+ candidate; Iron Jugulis has seen success as a versatile tool for HO. Alongside Speed-boosting Quark Drive, it is able to make effective progress with the combination of STAB Knock Off regardless of its middling base Attack and Taunt to remove items and block recovery/Court Change while also packing a punch. Relying on Hurricane, though, can be a really dicey Achilles' Heel.

:iron-moth:: +2 Subrankings (B to A-)
Iron Moth has seen a resurgence, boasting very respectable success on Sun and HO structures with its Speed-boosting Quark Drive sets and its weirdly flexible defensive profile into Iron Valiant and Sneasler. Its set flexibility enables it to run Substitute to blank Garganacl and take advantage of its bulk alongside Tera, or it can choose to dive deep into its great coverage profile or simply go balls to the walls with Tera Water or Ground Tera Blast.

:meowscarada:: +2 Subrankings (B- to B+)
Meowscarada's Speed tier alongside access to STAB Knock Off, Spikes, U-turn and Taunt keep Meowscarada a reliable lead and offensive pivot. Its Speed tier alongside Protean give it some nice utility as a Choice Scarf user, too, which can be useful against dangerous cleaners like Iron Valiant, Speed-boosting Great Tusk, Greninja, and non-Ice Shard Baxcalibur.

:clodsire:: +2 Subrankings (C+ to B)
While its passivity can hurt, its great special bulk and access to Water Absorb enable it to serve as one of the tier's few reliable checks to Greninja, while being an effective option into Iron Valiant, Dragapult, and Walking Wake. This alongside its access to Toxic and hazards give it far more applicable utility on bulkier structures than before.

:scizor:: +2 Subrankings (C+ to B)
Scizor's access to powerful priority that threatens Iron Valiant and Enamorus alongside a solid defensive typing, Swords Dance, and STAB U-turn give it solid cleaning and revenge killing ability.

:thundurus-therian:: +2 Subrankings (C to B-)
Choice Specs and dual dance sets go brrrnt.

:abomasnow: + :frosmoth:: +2 Subrankings (UR to C)
Abomasnow and Frosmoth are partners in crime, so it probably makes sense to discuss them together. Abomasnow's ranking is mostly carried by Snow Warning and Aurora Veil, making it a decent dual Screen setter that also can enable Frosmoth (and other teammates) easier setup opportunities by setting Reflect and Light Screen simultaneously. Frosmoth, on the other hand, is truly what reaps the reward of this rise. With Snow, Tera, Aurora Veil, and Ice Scales, it can easily accrue several Quiver Dance boosts and use the combination of Tera Blast and STAB Ice Beam to wipe out unprepared teams.

Drops:

:dragapult:: -2 Subrankings (S to A+)
With the extremely commanding success of Kingambit and the annoying presences of Ting-Lu, Amoonguss, Speed-boosting demons like Iron Valiant, Garganacl, Dragapult's strength can be very hit or miss. Though, it is still a phenomenal option in the metagame with its unparalleled Speed tier, spammable dual STAB combination, pivoting, and fantastic status spreading ability, just not one that was as dominant as it used to be.

:iron-valiant:: -1 Subranking (S to S-)
Its versatility precedes it, but the metagame is continuing to adapt to its presence in spite of its absurd offensive flexibility. Widespread use of Galarian Slowking, Amoonguss, and an uptick in Moltres/Clodsire usage means that moveslot limitations are continuing to catch up with it. As such, it isn't quite able to succeed Magearna or Volcarona in the realm of beating anything it wants to anymore.

Call in False Swipe Gaming to make the Garganacl Theorem, because it is the face of a Pokemon that puts a chokehold on the metagame when simple adaptations fall out of favor, but when they come back, it loses that broken kick. Covert Cloak isn't quite as common as it used to be, but instead it's really Encore, Taunt, and Substitute that get in its way this time.

As per usual, the thread will also be open for anybody who has questions about any rises/drops that haven't been explained in the list above or for any Pokemon that received no changes for about 24 hours or so. Nominations will not be open yet!! Furthermore, If you have a question, please just see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Thank you for your patience!
It is indicated here that Thundurus-T is mounted in B-, yet we still see it in C on the first post

fixed - ausma

Last edited by a moderator:
Bascu-M is in a higher rank than Bascu-F? I thought Bascu-F was overall better than M due to the better statspread for its movepool (Excluding Last Respects ofc). What makes M better than F in OU?

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Bascu-M is in a higher rank than Bascu-F? I thought Bascu-F was overall better than M due to the better statspread for its movepool (Excluding Last Respects ofc). What makes M better than F in OU?
Tera Water Wave Crash is just that devastating. Don’t get me wrong, i’ve tried Bascu-F on rain. Access to actual Ghost STAB and ability to use Ice Beam is definetly amazing, but Glowking is easily one of the worst downsides to using it, since it can just Tera Water and swap the weather on it. Glowking cannot take Wave Crash from the Male as easily, and the recoil is easily worth the accuracy increase. This is in comparison to the Female’s usage of Hydro Pump, and you better believe me when i say it needs the extra power. 100 Special Attack? Dragapult makes it work, but it’s naturally fast and has a better offensive type to begin with.

FFK

formerly Foufakirby
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi!

I think Houndstone :houndstone: should be at least D rank because :

Positive Points (+) :

- Its ability Fluffy and its correct bulk allow it to counter many physicals pokemons and burn them such as Sneasler :sneasler: (take only 63% from a +2 Sneasler Night Slash crit), Samurott-H :samurott-hisui: (it does only ~33% to Houndstone with Ceaseless Edge LOL), Kingambit :Kingambit: which is a top tier (3HKO with Kowtwo cleaves but you can invest 192 EVs in speed to outspeed jolly Kingambit and defensive Heatran :heatran: and still have a decent bulk) (this dog have body press), Great Tusk :great-tusk:, Dragonite :dragonite:, Baxcalibur :baxcalibur: (even if it can only Bpress), Ursaluna :ursaluna: ect...

- It has many good status move such as Will-O-Wisp and Destiny Bond (that’s why I love this mon)

- Night Shade deal a fixed amount of damage to defensive mons such as Slowking-Galar :Slowking-Galar:(with WoW it works very well), Corviknight :Corviknight: ...

- Prevent Rapid spin users to spin, this the only reliable mon that can prevent Tusk from spinning (Gholdengo :Gholdengo: is weak to koff and eq)

- Here’s a good example that peak 1750 on my OLT account : https://pokepast.es/cdd74c3d4ce83c17

Negative Points (-) :

- restrict the teambuilding as It doesn’t have any recovery Moves

- Very weak to fire moves

- only used in Balance mostly with Scream Tail :scream-tail:

Some thoughts after Wcop:

-Ting-Lu for me is not A+ at all. Too passive, too many weaknesses unless Tera, very easy to switch into with the greatest spinner (Tusk). It does wear down Tusk for a late game Gambit sweep, but the rest of hazard setters already do that too. Useful movepool, but severe case of 4 slot syndrome.

-Garganacl on the other hand, fully deserves the A+ rank. People have been adapting to it with Cloaks or Subs, but despite that, it has been consistently winning. Garay and McMeghans games (which featured Tera Electric btw) in finals are good examples of that. There are still some unexplored options such as Avalanche (should beat Sub Lando) that can further boost the versatility.

-Similarly, Hisuian Samurott is a better Spiker than Ting Lu, should be A+. Has a million sets, adapts to almost all styles (could even be used with Restalk in Stall), gets the job done in 90% of the games (Ceaseless Edge accuracy), threatens Tusk.

-Zamazenta to A-. IronPress sets are straight up bad. Offensive sets are better, but still have enough answers on all styles.

-Heatran to B. Very unexplored Mon this Gen, but so far haven't seen it doing worthy things. This Gen is much more offensive than last one and it means Magma Storm accuracy is much more painful, misses are punished harder. It's also very hard to fit on teams, Gholdengo is superior as Steel, Moltres and Iron Moth are better Fire Mons.

-Rotom-W to B+. Nothing has really changed, but I haven't seen this Mon too often recently, and when I did, it didn't do much.

-Azumarill to A-. Baxcalibur is broken. With Protect + Leftovers + 3 Attacks, Azu checks pretty well almost all sets. Band and Drum are a thing too. Apart from Bax, Azu soft checks Valiant, Wake (outside of Sun) and Hisuian Samurott, each of them extremely dangerous Mons.

-Roaring Moon to B. Hard to fit, doesn't sweep nearly as reliably anymore. Still viable on Sun, but not so much outside of it.

-Torkoal to A-. Sun is very good and versatile, Sun setter should be higher therefore. Glowking (and Johtoking too) are annoying, but Sun has many tools to beat both.

-Clodsire to A-. One of the few Wake switch-ins with Water Absorb. Very good with Unaware on Stall. If Pdef, checks every single Iron Valiant set except Specs Psyshock, which it still takes. Tera Dark stops Stored Power Hatto, even when Pdef, but especially with Sdef. Enamorus is checked by Clod too.

-Lilligant Hisui to B+. It's a Sun Mon, one of the few that actually outspeed Booster Valiant. It has the problem of not being able to beat Zapdos, Gholdengo and Moltres at the same time, but it has a very good support Movepool, being able to boost in 2 different ways, sleep something or Defog (+Tera Blast Fire for Gholdengo). Being weak to the birds is not a big problem, since most of the time the switch-in to them is telegraphed (LO CC + Solar Blade + Tera Blast is hard to check without birds), so you can switch Wake in to wreck those birds.

-Sandy Shocks to A-. It's either a Sun or an HO Mon. Sun is good, HO is good, Shocks is hard to check and switches into U-Turnless Zapdos for free.

-Slither Wing to C. Another good Sun Mon. With Tera Ghost Band versions of this Mon are very hard to check, due to being.

-Typhlosion Hisui to C. Unexpectedly, this does not require Sun to work, though it appreciates it. Specs Eruptions demolish almost the whole Tier, even when not at full. When it's low, Specs Blaze Flamethrower also hits very hard. Status support is appreciated to power up Infernal Parade, but even by itself, the move can burn on the multiple switches Typhlosion causes. In my final Wcop battle, I used a Typhlosion with 3 Mons capable of paralyze and 2 capable of pivoting (well, 3 if we count Meowscarada, but mine didn't have U-Turn) to bring it safely in. People that have seen the battle can tell I played it very poorly (and I agree with that) , but Typhlosion still managed to contribute to my win. Typhlosion needs quite a lot of support to work, but it is a very competent breaker.

-Umbreon to D. It's a Bax check with Inner Focus + Tera Fairy. Bax is broken. Apart from Bax, it supports with Wish + Thunder Wave. Umbreon hard checks all versions of DD Nite. At full, it lives everything except Tera Fairy Blast from +2 Kingambit, which means it can para it. Pult is very well checked too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)