Resource SV OU Teal Mask Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Personally I think Weavile is fine where he is. While it is mostly outclassed by Moon (assuming it doesn’t get banned), Weavile has a few key traits of its own. Threatening to OHKO Gliscor with STAB Ice moves gives it an edge in the mu over Moon who has to Tera and carry Taunt/Sub to beat it. Speaking of Moon, STAB Ice Shard is perfect for picking off weakened offensive sweepers, especially Moon. The speed tier of 125 lets it outrun Cinder who often speed ties with Moon. Its frail and heavily support reliant, but it does its job solidly. Now for some of my noms.

IMG_8858.png
A+ > S-: This one is pretty obvious and I agree with this cause Wellspring has been meta defining since last month. Not just its tried and true SD set, but also its pivoting sets and several utility moves like Spikes, U-Turn, Knock, and especially Encore. The latter of which has become a Top 5 move, off the existence of Gambit and slower setup sweepers. Even its checks like Rilla, Amoonguss, and Dnite have their set of problems. Rilla gets U-Turn’d on, Amoonguss is very passive within the Ghold/Gliscor dominated meta, and Dnite can loses its Boots to Knock or get 2HKOd off a predicted switch via Play Rough. Easily one of the best offensive threats in OU only next to Gambit.

IMG_8868.png
A > A+: There is a sentiment with Dnite that alot of people might share but never spit it out. Dnite can basically check the entire tier off of Multiscale, its typing, and E-Speed alone. One of its biggest roles since IoA was being a splashable Wogre check and it has proven to fufill that role better than anyone else thus far. Band sets thrive off the overly offensive metagame while also having the horsepower to truck even physically bulky walls. Offensive and Bulky DD are great, there has even been recent experimentation with Sub-DD which shits on Gliscor. It does suffer from a 4MSS, but it’s so splashable, versatile, and so good at its job that it offsets that weakness. Often times there isn’t a matchup where Dnite can’t find itself good into just cause of how good Multiscale is, especially when paired with Wish support from Mola. Speaking of which.

IMG_8862.png
B+ > A-: Mola is just way too good at its job to be just B+. It does get hardwalled by Wogre without Tera Flying Blast, but Amoonguss is chilling up in A- despite Ghold’s existence. Pivots into physical powerhouses, provides slow Flip Turn, Wish support, and Scald burns. Pairs especially well with Dnite who has an excellent mu into Wogre while it restores Dnite’s Multiscale. Not just a solid defensive glue, but also potent for BO styles. Gambit is annoying as shit, but imagine this thing just healing Gambit back to full. Very few physical attackers can actually one-shot it, and players like Pinkacross have taken full advantage of its strengths, being able to safely bring in dangerous offensive threats due to its sheer physical bulk + Regen.

IMG_8893.png
C+ > B-/B: Beta Bax. Like Weavile, Mamoswine shows how strong Ice STAB and priority Shard is in the current meta. I’d argue Mamo is even better due to its higher Atk stat and lack of SR weakness letting it afford coming in more frequently. Not to mention Ice/Ground STAB is still ridiculous as proven by the late Bax. Even in current gen OU, its 130 Atk stat is still impressive, unfortunately its outsped by Ghold (seriously what was GF smoking with these stat distributions?) and common offensive threats like Valiant and Zama scare it off, so I can’t rank it any higher. However if you are looking for a breaker with decent bulk and priority, Mamo might be a solid pick.

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Great VR, agree with almost all of the placements here, glad to see Zama so high because it's definitely been better than it's ever felt since it dropped post-Home at least to me, just a couple of things I'd shift a tiny bit.

:Ogerpon_Wellspring: A+ -> S-

Gonna have to second (third? fourth? not sure how many times it's already been mentioned so far) this recommendation, Ogerpon-W feels like one of the strongest mons in the metagame rn, with different options being hard to account for in the builder; Ivy Cudgel and Power Whip provide some incredibly strong STAB options, Horn Leech is still strong while improving survivability, Knock Off can force progress against "counters" like Amoonguss who can die to +2 Tera Water Cudgel if max hazards go up (remember this is a Ghold meta), defensive teams struggle heavily with Encore variants while this also gets use to check slower setup sweepers particularly Manaphy, and other more niche options like Taunt, Synthesis and Trailblaze are worth serious consideration. Its hazard weakness and low physical bulk limit it to the extent that I wouldn't go as far as to propose S in the current metagame, but this is a fantastic mon that I could see being potentially a cut above the rest in A+.

:Weezing_Galar: C -> C+

Okay this is less of a clear pick but I genuinely think that Weezing-G has a semi-solid niche in OU, able to Defog vs Gholdengo and ruin Gliscor with Neutralising Gas or hard wall Tusk/Scor with Levitate while actually having solid defensive utility with high physical bulk and other good support options in Will-O-Wisp, Haze, Pain Split and Toxic/Toxic Spikes. It's definitely not a great mon but I find it to be something I'd think of as much more viable than pretty much all of the garbage in C, it's honestly a mon I'd typically consider over Mandibuzz and even sometimes Corvi when looking for a bulky mon with removal although that might speak more to the types of teams I typically enjoy using (Corv is definitely 100x better on stall/less offensive builds).

Also cosign Ace, Alo and Dnite maybe being slightly higher but have nothing much to say about them which hasn’t already been posted here, and I think Corv and reg Slowking are a little worse than their rankings suggest but again dont have enough to say to rly form a case either way.

The new viability rankings are looking mostly great! I would second a change for Weavile's viability as previously mentioned.

461.png
--> B+/A-

I don't know if all the way up to A proper is warranted, but Weavile is definitely a potent force in the metagame with its access to knock off restored. I have used sets including loaded dice and choice band to success in high ladder (currently ranked 36 at 1899 on ladder alt FOXxH0UND), though obviously heavy duty boots is the most consistent item to use overall. Its the same as it always has been, with its potent stab combination and high speed tier allowing it to harass offensive and defensive teams alike. Loaded dice Weavile is particularly powerful because the extra strength offered from new stab icicle spear as opposed to crash/ice spinner allows it to more consistently muscle past threats such as Great Tusk, offensive Zapdos, and Ting-Lu. Here are some calculations for reference:

+2 252 Atk Weavile Icicle Spear (4 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 512-608 (99.6 - 118.2%) -- approx. 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Weavile Icicle Spear (4 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 360-432 (112.1 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Weavile Icicle Spear (4 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 488-584 (112.4 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Using icicle crash vs Tusk and Zapdos gives only a 75% and 62.5% chance to OHKO respectively. Obviously these are still in your favor, but with weavile's inherent frailty sometimes its good not to leave things up to chance (not to mention to icicle crash's miss chance)

One of the strongest merits of the loaded dice set is the ability to heavily pressure and sometimes invalidate HO structures that rely on focus sash or sturdy. Weavile has a chance to OHKO Ribombee at four hits, which is then guaranteed if you roll five hits, denying webs. It also OHKOs ogerpon-cornerstone, at worst forcing a tera.

252 Atk Weavile Icicle Spear (4 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ribombee: 232-280 (88.8 - 107.2%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Weavile Icicle Spear (4 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Cornerstone: 360-432 (119.6 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It is also particularly strong into psychic spam teams which rely on focus sash on mons like Polteageist, and are generally weak against dark type attacks. I like to use tera ice on this set for added power to muscle through threats like Clefable and Corviknight, both of whom can be OHKOd with a 5 icicle spear roll. The set generally offers as surprise factor which allows for many additional kills.

+2 252 Atk Tera Ice Weavile Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 450-540 (114.2 - 137%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Tera Ice Weavile Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 370-440 (92.7 - 110.2%) -- approx. 62.5% chance to OHKO

Besides the loaded dice set banded and boots sets are also viable. Banded beat up, though less potent than last generation due to a lack of high attack OU threats (namely kartana) can still give certain stall and balance teams extremely hard times when terastalizing into the dark type, not to mention the immediate power added to ice shard and knock off as well. Weavile's inherent speed and access to ice shard also make all sets useful in knocking out common metagame threats Roaring Moon and Dragapult, which can be KO'd, although there is a need for significant prior damage if not terastalizing or using band.

252 Atk Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roaring Moon: 164-194 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 66.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 158-188 (49.8 - 59.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Overall weavile is a potent metagame threat which can force early game wallbreaking situations, setting up for sweeps for both itself and its teammates. Even mons that commonly switch in like Kingambit (which can be threatened by low kick variants), Zamazenta, and Dondozo generally hate their items being knocked off, allowing further opportunities for Weavile to pressure later in the game. The meta is very conducive to its utility, with widespread use of threats like Gliscor, the aforementioned Roaring moon/Dragapult, and Gholdengo all of which fear Weavile's STAB. At its absolute worst it provides almost guaranteed utility by removing opposing items. I believe the above factors put Weavile above the power level of its contemporaries in the B tier. I've added a replay that displays the general idea of Weavile's power vs fat, though obviously this is an exemplary performance and should not be taken as Weavlie's average threat level across matches.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1966648603-1bo6gmbmommvpbrartkguewzjpe8z4vpw

Last edited:
I've ran Weavile on similar structures, and while it is decent, I feel that CB Roaring Moon always provides more due to its better power, lack of Stealth Rock weakness and better movepool (which includes key options like U-Turn. Its certainly feels much easier to play since it has less risk in switching in due to the better bulk and taking less chip damage from hazards. It can also emergency check stuff like non-Tera Kingambit better due to the better bulk. I will admit, the Ice STAB on weavile is extremely nice. I could see a rise to B+, but A rank seems too high, especially since Roaring Moon feels drastically better than Weavile to me due to having more spots it can safely switch in.
I get your point but, as you said, Ice stab is very good. Actuyally that's what makes weavile unique. Not to mention that roaring moon may get banned and:
1: does not have access to priority
2: it has significantly lower speed. 119 means it ties with Cinderace and other roaring moons. It is outsped by Greninja, meowscarada, Sneaseler and of course by weavile (that can also pick it up after a dragon dance thanks to ice shard). Weavile being faster than all previously mentioned mons is incredibly important. Weavile would be much weaker if it had 119 speed that, by itself, is a really good speed stat. The fact is that 125 in this particular meta feels (and in fact is) and very valuable benchmark that roaring moon does not have.

Now i'm not saying weavile is better than roaring moon, as you said roaring has deffinitely alot of perks in addition to the significantly higher power. Nonetheless The Ice Stab and weavile additional capabilities (priority, higher speed etc.) make it different enough than roaring moon that it isn't just outclassed by it. Matter of fact I tried roaring moon on the team I linked and the performance was much worse on the ladder with a solid 100 points less on average.

I would like to share my thoughts on some mons:

:Dragonite: (A→S-) : Dragonite is imo S- tier for the simple reason he can defeat any mons from S to A tier, the only threat on that list is Gliscor who's THE S rank when considering tera water+toxic set so your opponent needs to tera even with Gliscor. Looking at other mons Dnite can set up on most of them like Gholdengo, Specs Pult, Rmoon, Valiant, Ogerpon, etc., with the access to encore he can also set up on Zama or Gambit (gambit is more subject to 50/50 though). He's also a good RK to opponent's sweeping mon such as Rmoon, Imoth, Sneasler, WWake, Enam, etc.
In other words I don't see Dnite below any mons except Gliscor.

:Great-tusk: (A+→S-) : Great Tusk is indeed suffering more in this meta with Gliscor tanking Ice spinner while clicking toxic+ healing back with tect or just putting spikes and switching Dengo or even just teraing water, he's also suffering from being slower and weak to Ribombee, making it useless to remove Webs and in that case Treads is better to remove hazards. Even though with all these new weaknesses from Dlc1 Tusk remains the best hazards removal in SV OU, I think why Tusk is now A+ and not S- in this list is mainly due to players failing to put the optimal set of Tusk in their teams since it can run many different sets, defensive/offensive BU, booster spinner, Band, AV, are all GREAT sets, (yes AV is very good.) so that said Tusk isn't only a spinner but will also reliably force dengo switch ins and weakening/killing a Dengo can be a considerable progress in a game, Tusk checks Gambit decently, way more than most mons.

:Cinderace:(A→B+) : Cinderace is a fake removal, he obviously pressure mon like Glimmora and Ribombee from putting their hazards but it doesn't make these bads and in reality a good webs or good HO will probably still put their hazards in front of Ace since they have a mon to remove them like Tusk or since their others mon can prevent/defeat Ace which makes it a dead slot. Cinderace is even more useless against Hstack teams, he's just forcing them to click hazards twice, doubling turns of a game won't make you win. Race is B+ imo.

View attachment 563158

why is Fez not ranked? It walls Pult, Valiant, Iron Moth, Gholdy (With Tera), Wake, Zapdos, Enamourus. It also has U-Turn for momentum &can badly poison the opponent! It should at least be ranked B-.
Because its outclassed by mainly clefable, blissey and clodsire as a specially defensive pokemon, as they can better check the hard hitting special attackers of ou and the last two can wall non psyshock gholdengo without wasting a tera slot, it also relies on poison to not be completely passive

In my personal opinion, dragapult should still be s tier as it is very versatile, has a stunning base speed stat of 142 and can excel at many things like being a dragon dance sweeper, doing massive damage with choice specs and setting up screens, its obviously not perfect but neither is gliscor and i don’t think the dlc affected it that much

Nom time I guess:

:Tornadus-Therian: B+ to A- or A
What can I say? Regen + knock off and 121 speed is just tried and true at this point. This poke has made a massive resurgence as of late, thanks to allowing it to regain knock off, its greatest utility tool back in its arsenal. Boots torn-t is insanely good at removing items and can now once again make progress against some of the fatter pokemon in the tier by removing their items since now it has options. Sure losing defog and toxic sucks, but with knock off back its pretty much back to what it does on its offensive pivot sets from last gen minus defog, albeit slightly less effective due to no defog + powercreep. Still, like Mola it definitely feels like it should be higher on the current OUVR, as they feel pretty good to use and definitely like mola probably belongs within the A ranks for the utility and offensive power it provide. Sure not having defog and toxic is a bit of an annoyance, but tornadus-t has been feeling good to use.

:Sneasler: A to A- Sneasler is still a silly wincon that can threaten sweeps very easily if prior counterplay is dealt with from its teammates, but some stuff in the tier like Gliscor and Ghold being really popular right now can make it awkward to get it in position to sweep, as it needs a good support from teammates sometimes to take care of those pokemon, as Sneasler cannot really break past them easily at all, and often needs another pokemon to deal with them.

:Heatran: From B+ to B or B- Heatran is a very good answer to Iron Moth, and can provide defensive and offensive utility for teams. However, it still really struggles sometimes due to the nature of how strong counterplay to Heatran is right now as it still sometimes ends up doing nothing in some games, and has a rough time with all the hazards being thrown around and being reliant on tera to do its job sometimes as while better thanks to moth picking up in usage, still suffers from its same problems that caused it to drop out of OU in the first place.

:Hatterene: A- to B+ maybe? Hatterene is still a great bulky magic bouncer, however its fellow bulky offensive fairy Clefable is back to give it a run for its money yet again, as while Hatterene is still a great answer to the hazard problem, as a bulky pokemon that hits hard and supports its team it feels a bit hard to justify over Clefable sometimes on certain teams that already have answers to hazards, as Clefable can make good use of unaware and magic guard, along with its expansive support and offensive movepool that allows it to do a ton of things hatterene cannot that allows it to compete for hatterene's team slot. I'm not sure if hatt should drop a subrank, but Clefable being an easier bulky fairy to slot onto teams that can play all sorts of different roles definitely makes hatterene a little harder to justify running sometimes unless you really need hazard blocking.

:Toxapex: B to B- or C+ I never thought I would see the day where Toxapex would be outclassed, no less by other options like alomomola, Glowking, Gliscor, Tornadus-T and glimmora, but here we are. As a toxic spiker, its way easier to justify using glimmora or gliscor for toxic spiking. As a bulky regenerator pokemon that offers utility, its outclassed by Glowking, Alomomola and Tornadus-T for the most part in an offensive meta like this. (Albiet it does have haze to stop set-up sweepers and its great defensive type.) Point being, Pex just feels too passive for this offensive meta at the moment, with not enough utility. Granted it still walls some pokemon and can stop set up sweepers with haze, thus why I only propose a B- or C+ drop, but it definitely feels like Toxapex is really hurting right now with all of the pokemon that are easier to run than it that do most of its jobs better without being nearly as passive.

Other Noms I agree with:
IMG_8858.png

A+ > S-

IMG_8868.png

A > A+

IMG_8862.png

B+ > A-: Should be A- or A, crazy support pokemon rn

Also if any of the forum mods are reading this fix gren's placement on the VR, as it should be A- as finch said before

In my personal opinion, dragapult should still be s tier as it is very versatile, has a stunning base speed stat of 142 and can excel at many things like being a dragon dance sweeper, doing massive damage with choice specs and setting up screens, its obviously not perfect but neither is gliscor and i don’t think the dlc affected it that much
Dragapult is fine where it is. The specs and ddance sets both struggle against Gambit. The ddance set in particular is tera-reliant and from a sweeping perspective doesn’t really offer much over Roaring Moon. The screens set has fallen off as it has been largely replaced by Alolatales veil teams. Pult does provide good speed control but it can’t revenge kill things like Booster Valiant, +1 Roaring Moon, and Scarf Ghold which all OHKO it. The mixed wisp hex is probably the most splashable Pult set right now. Still feels like an A+ mon to me rather than S.

Sinistcha: D -> C

What the fuck is this thing doing in D rank?

Sinistcha-Masterpiece @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Heatproof
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Matcha Gotcha

You can improvise on the speed evs, but this set wins games. The combination of its typing, Heatproof, Strength Sap, and spreading burns makes it a bitch for a lot of teams to deal with. So, you have a mon that resists or is immune to Grass, Water, Ground and Fighting while also being neutral to fire. It can also keep itself healthy quite reliably between Matcha Gotcha and Strength Sap, and it isn't passive due to Calm Mind

Its characteristics allow it to check mons like Ogrepon-Wellspring and Zamazenta (two mons that people have been bitching about a lot lately). as well as deal with stuff like Great Tusk, Dragonite, Sneasler, Rillaboom, Lando-T, and Dondozo and can even turn some of them into set up bait as they struggle to break it. Tera Poison lets it flip the switch on stuff that needs Toxic to threaten it (Gliscor/Amoonguss, w/e) or get rid of its Ghost weakness (plus turn its Fire neutrality into a resist) allowing it to potentially kill back other ghosts like pult/gholdengo, and turn Cinderace, Iron Moth and Iron Valiant into its bitch.

Don't have a ton of replays but here:

Seriously, why is it D rank? lol

Nickos

Quack
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Sinistcha: D -> C

What the fuck is this thing doing in D rank?

Sinistcha-Masterpiece @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Heatproof
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Matcha Gotcha

You can improvise on the speed evs, but this set wins games. The combination of its typing, Heatproof, Strength Sap, and spreading burns makes it a bitch for a lot of teams to deal with. So, you have a mon that resists or is immune to Grass, Water, Ground and Fighting while also being neutral to fire. It can also keep itself healthy quite reliably between Matcha Gotcha and Strength Sap, and it isn't passive due to Calm Mind

Its characteristics allow it to check mons like Ogrepon-Wellspring and Zamazenta (two mons that people have been bitching about a lot lately). as well as deal with stuff like Great Tusk, Dragonite, Sneasler, Rillaboom, Lando-T, and Dondozo and can even turn some of them into set up bait as they struggle to break it. Tera Poison lets it flip the switch on stuff that needs Toxic to threaten it (Gliscor/Amoonguss, w/e) or get rid of its Ghost weakness (plus turn its Fire neutrality into a resist) allowing it to potentially kill back other ghosts like pult/gholdengo, and turn Cinderace, Iron Moth and Iron Valiant into its bitch.

Don't have a ton of replays but here:

Seriously, why is it D rank? lol
Seconding this nom, Sinistcha is actually so damn annoying and has given me plenty of trouble, Strength Sap is a very bs move, Matcha Gotcha is broken af with its burn chance and integrated healing effect, and Tera makes it so much more annoying (like with every bulky setup sweeper out there), there are matches you legit can't damage it enough before it just clicks Strength Sap and heals back to 100% and makes your hits weaker simultaneously.

And of course, it has great matchups into some of the broken stuff, this alone should make it much higher than the stuff at D and more in line with mons at C+, I feel like it could even fit right between B-, it is certainly much more dangerous than stuff like Azumarill or Hydreigon given it doesn't hard lose to the top tiers.

Last edited:
I would argue that Vaporeon is really underrated and should be somewhere on the list. It has the same merits Milotic has (Haze, Scald, Flip Turn, high hp/spdef), but with Wish as well (the same idea and speed behind the Alomomola slow Wishpass peak #1 posted the other day around here).

I'm also glad that my bro Hawlucha is on the list - mold breaker defog, 118 base encore and STAB brave bird/acro is too good to completely ignore in this meta

Tusk and Ting-Lu should fall like a brick. Gliscor forces Tusk to run Spinner, which in turn limits its sets really hard, and just does Ting-Lu's job better.

Seeing Gliscor in S+ makes me believe that most people agree that Gliscor is busted and constricts teambuilding, which I will refuse to elaborate for now bc it's a topic that is already beaten to death and just seeing it in team preview flares up my anxiety
Vape is simply outclassed by galarian slowking, zapdos and even clodsire, its just not worth a team slot and i would argue its overrated in ru

I'd like to nominate
from B- to B+.

The set Ive been running is Scald, Haze, Recover, Mirror Coat. The smogon set runs 116 speed ev presumably to outspeed uninvested Gliscor but I find that to be unnecessary as its a significant amount of bulk to give up. If the Gliscor isnt low enough to get OHKOd by Scald then it doesnt matter if you hit it before or after the Toxic. If it is low enough then it wont be attemping to do so in the first place and usually would be worth the trade on your end. 8-12 speed ev are the sweet spot imo to outspeed max speed neutral natured base 50s such as Gambit and potentially mons trying to speed creep them such as sdef heatran.
Mirror coat I consider to be quite important to reliably beat stuff such as Dengo and Tera Grass moth and to prevent stuff such as Dpult from just eating up your recover pp by clicking Sball in your face. Its also still catching people by surprise for some reason even at 1900+

The reason for that is that it's doing an extremely important job for balance teams in countering some dangerous threats such as Iron Moth, specs pult, gholdengo, heatran and to an extent Manaphy which are notoriously difficult to reliably answer. This was historically often done by Ting Lu but the very vital advantage Milotic has over Ting Lu is the ability to wear boots and not being prone to being worn down. Ting Lu still works fine for faster paced teams but one of the most common and succesful team structures in this meta is Gliscor + Clef balance which essentially revolves around stacking full hazards up while ignoring enemy hazards. These teams need an answer for the aforementioned threats and Ting Lu can't do it consistently vs Spikes, whose prevalence are unfortunately the reality we live in however especially with Gliscor being able to set them up right in its face. Boots Ting Lu also feels terrible in slower teams as it will get worn down fast especially if depending on it for checking two threats such as Dengo + Moth. Unlike Ting Lu Milotic also doesn't just fold vs Dengo clicking Tera.
I have seen some teams try to cover this angle with Mandibuzz but the unfortunate reality is that Mandi can beat neither Dengo nor the fire types. Unlike Ting Lu and Mandi its also not giving a free switch in to Gliscor whenever it enters the field.

Aside from that it also just provides a blanket check to some less common special attackers that you might not necessarily specifically account for while teambuilding but still want to have an answer for such as Greninja (LO grass knot doesnt 2hko), Kommo-O, certain ival sets, Walking Wake (specs hydro under the sun with satk boost from proto does 30%), Enam etc.
As its final pro before diving into its cons I'd like to point out its impressive speed tier for a defensive wall. This not only allows it to heal back up in situations where it was in one hit range of their entire team but also allows you for example to Haze some slower setup sweepers such as Clefable or sacrifice Milotic in a lategame situation vs Kingambit or Azumarill to nullify its Boosts and fish for a burn (both of which you outspeed with only 8 speed ev).

I'd say the biggest con to Milotic right now is Waterpon. While scald is generally a fantastic move to make progress and disincentives a lot of mons that generally would love to switch into Milotic such Rillaboom, Rockpon, Moon etc. Waterpon obviously doesn't have that problem and anything that allows that thing to freely switch in needs to be accounted for since there are notoriously few reliable switch ins for it. You can mitigate that to an extent with DTail if you have hazards up but only if you arent forced to recover / haze. Other than that its not that great outside of the balance structures I mentioned earlier. While it is tanky enough to not be forced to click recover every turn its also not getting hazards up or talking the opponents hp whenever it comes in unlike Ting LU. Once we ban Wellspring I think there could be a place for Flip Turn Milotic in slightly more offensive teams as well though that want a reliable answer to the aforementioned threats though.

This is a very meta dependant nomination but at the current state of the game I feel like Milotic provides an almost unique role to a very prevalent team structure in being capable of switching into some very prevalent threats consistently throughout the game even under hazards.

Last edited:
:Empoleon: -> B
Been running Empoleon lately and while its not AMAZING perse, I think it has a lot of use in compressing a solid amount of utility into one slot, with multiple options like Knock Off, Flip Turn, Stealth Rock, Roar, Haze, and a decent defensive profile vs various threats such as Clefable, Manaphy, Slowking-G, Greninja, and Walking Wake. It does suffer from MASSIVE 4MSS though, so you likely won't be able to fit all the utility moves you want and it has a terrible MU vs Waterpon, but I think the utilities it brings to a team make it worthy of being B. I've also seen offensive variants here and there, which can become quite difficult to deal with due to its wide coverage and a potential boost from competitive. It also has vaccum Wave to destroy Gambit (which I've been victim to a few times here and there).

:Iron Moth: -> A+
This mon is insane. Extremely strong and fast & combined with a potential Fiery Dance boost, it can snowball out of control fast. It does very well vs both Veil and Webs teams and often times, it feels like the best counterplay to it is your own Iron Moth. It also feast on the multiple Tera Fairy users with its STAB Sludge Wave. Matches up very well vs many high tier threats like Gholdengo, Kingambit (if it runs Sub) and Clefable.

:Corviknight: -> A-
I'm not too big on Defog Corviknight atm, but it is an extremely useful tool vs stall teams due to Pressure completely depleting the PP of mons like Clefable, Clodsire, Gliscor, etc. That being said, ID + BP Corv is really good pokemon that provides good defensive coverage vs top dogs like Kingambit, Dragonite, Gliscor, and ID+BP Zamazenta while also providing valuable support with a slow U-Turn. Yes, its MU vs Dragapult, Iron Moth, and Gholdengo is bad, but its slow U-Turn lets its team respond to these threats more effectively by granting a free switch in to partners that are able to more effectively respond to these threats such as Weavile, Dragonite, Iron Valiant, etc. Pressure is better than ever in Gliscor's OU as you can more effectively PP Stall its various moves like Toxic, EQ, etc, esp if you have your own Gliscor to infinetly switch between the two.

:Garganacl: -> A-
Still one of the most annoying Rockers to face in the tier. Yes, we do have Clefable to absorb Salt Cure, but on the flip side, increased Knock off distribution combined with a stronger Spikes setter in Gliscor makes old counterplay to Salt Cure, such as PP stalling it by infinitely switching between two Regen mons, less reliable. It offers incredible utility to a team with its Ghost resistane and is an incredible Tera user still, with sets like Tera Electric having great utility vs Pokemon like Gholdengo and Thundurus-T which are annoying for more balanced teams to switch into.

:Clodsire: -> B
I stole a few teams that ran this guy and its honestly not THAT bad. It does face competition with Gliscor, which provides much of the same utility and completely hard walls it, but it has a unique defensive profile that makes it better equipped to handle key threats like non-Psyshock Gholdengo, Walking Wake, Greninja, non-Tera Heatran, etc. The poor Gliscor MU doesn't matter THAT much since its best bud Corviknight completely owns that mon. Its still gonna be making progress with Spikes.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
:Garganacl: -> A-
Still one of the most annoying Rockers to face in the tier. Yes, we do have Clefable to absorb Salt Cure, but on the flip side, increased Knock off distribution combined with a stronger Spikes setter in Gliscor makes old counterplay to Salt Cure, such as PP stalling it by infinitely switching between two Regen mons, less reliable. It offers incredible utility to a team with its Ghost resistane and is an incredible Tera user still, with sets like Tera Electric having great utility vs Pokemon like Gholdengo and Thundurus-T which are annoying for more balanced teams to switch into.
I second this. Garg is still a fantastic wincon with the Curse set. I’ve run Ice Punch which poses a more immediate threat to Gliscor. It has positive mus into Hex Pult who often poises an annoyance for Balance structures. Covert Ghold has noticeably dropped in usage and combined with Gliscor’s Spikes, Garg can make excellent progress with Salt Cure. The only thing you have to be careful with is Encore or CM Clef, and Encore users in general.

:Heatran: B+ -> A-
Not 100% on this yet, but it's been making a decent comeback with SCL showing the strength of air balloon sets. Compressing rocks, temporary extra ground immunity and offensive pressure in one slot is great. It also gives teams a crucial buffer to Iron Moth that can be challenging to answer, and balloon Heatran sits on it nicely. Wisp user also and quite nice at it. Generally a good mon rn.

:Garganacl:B+ -> A-
laddering with this, it's still good. The influx of spikes support makes it much easier to pressure via salt cure and stealth rock sets are fine. Yeah clef is annoying, but that's one mon. Gliscor isn't nearly as big an issue as has been made out given salt cure cuts off poison heal and SR damage ends up adding up. Plus set up garg can do work vs it anyways. Increases knock off users also works to cut down Regen spamming back and forth against it. Mon still brings really crucial defensive value for bulky teams and especially added on with tera.

Alright so quick change to my :Heatran: nom from earlier

:Heatran: From B+ to B or stay B+ Heatran is a very good answer to Iron Moth which helps it a ton, and can provide defensive and offensive utility for teams. However, it still really struggles sometimes due to the nature of how strong counterplay to Heatran is right now as it still sometimes ends up doing nothing in some games, and has a rough time with all the hazards being thrown around and being reliant on tera to do its job sometimes as while better thanks to moth picking up in usage, still suffers from its same problems that caused it to drop out of OU in the first place being just a massive tera sink and being really easy to play around in a tera format. I think B is a reasonable place for it at the current moment as Heatran can wisp things and trap them as well as check iron moth, just like what caused it to drop it feels like in practice that it struggles to do what it wants to in a tera meta, and that hasn't changed.

I think Heatran will likely be a UU lifer unless tera gets banned, as it is a bit too easy to play around sometimes in a format where anything can change their types, as well as the fact Heatran is a general tera sink that oftentimes can be used on better tera abusers.

Alright so quick change to my :Heatran: nom from earlier

:Heatran: From B+ to B or stay B+ Heatran is a very good answer to Iron Moth which helps it a ton, and can provide defensive and offensive utility for teams. However, it still really struggles sometimes due to the nature of how strong counterplay to Heatran is right now as it still sometimes ends up doing nothing in some games, and has a rough time with all the hazards being thrown around and being reliant on tera to do its job sometimes as while better thanks to moth picking up in usage, still suffers from its same problems that caused it to drop out of OU in the first place being just a massive tera sink and being really easy to play around in a tera format. I think B is a reasonable place for it at the current moment as Heatran can wisp things and trap them as well as check iron moth, just like what caused it to drop it feels like in practice that it struggles to do what it wants to in a tera meta, and that hasn't changed.

I think Heatran will likely be a UU lifer unless tera gets banned, as it is a bit too easy to play around sometimes in a format where anything can change their types, as well as the fact Heatran is a general tera sink that oftentimes can be used on better tera abusers.
Heatran dropped in usage in the span of 14 days
While there’s was a new Mon just came out
It’s combination of new toy syndrome and not stabilized meta yet

It’s very hard to determine the actual reasoning for the Mon to drop just based on that

I personally think heatran A or A-
It can deal with a lot , cripple wall and offensive threats with willo
Shut down blissey and CM clef in stall or balance
as Long as you land magma storm

Heatran was always that way you land magma storm you win games you don’t land magma storm you lose it for no value

I would say it is rising to ou in this upcoming tier shift just based on what I saw and it’s usage + utility in the tier

Just curious, why did Great Tusk drop?
-Gliscor is the best Spiker, threatens it with Toxic and lives Ice Spinner. (While forcing it to run it).

-Clefable is one of the best rockers and beats Great Tusk 1v1.

-Ogerpon-Wellspring and Manaphy are top meta threats and both outspeed and beat it.

-Great Tusk is no longer a consistent Kingambit answer when Spikes are staying on the field most games and stuff like Rillaboom + Gambit renders Earthquake sets unable to check it.

-Great Tusk loses to common leads like Ninetales-Alola and Ribombee, being unable to remove Sticky Web when baloon Ghold both outspeeds and gets one free switch-in after webs go up. (This also makes cinderace preferable for this match-up over Tusk).

-HDB spam teams's consistency is generally superior to Great Tusk based ones, when it comes to making sure your team doesn't fold to hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)