Swinub (LC Analysis)

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I went and edited in the 4x thing (still seems wrongly reverse to me >_>), thanks Komodo!

But, I think my GP check wasn't implemented yet. Check my second to last post here.

Oh, and I'll address this. "This one is up to you, but what does Swinub's decent Speed have to do with counters?" If Swinub's slower, then it can't really fend off its counters well, right? I think that's kinda logical. Swinub's Speed is 50, and anything above that Speed, that can at least switch into one of Swinub's attacks with ease and KO it, can be called a counter.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Flora, don't worry about this, I sent metsrule an easy copy + paste version with both our edits in PM, just to be sure :)

Edit - I don't think "decent" is the right word, I believe it should be "average" or something along the lines, suggesting something can outrun it. When decent is used, it suggests Swinub is very fast.

metsrule158

Don't disturb him on his break.
is a Contributor Alumnus
thank you komodo. I really do appreciate it. You too Flora

Edit: I have made those changes and the analysis is ready to be GP checked one more time.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just remembered you requested a check from me ages ago... now I have a bit more free time, here it is.

GP Check [2/2]

REMOVE
ADD

COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Although Swinub is an uncommon sight in Little Cup, it can pack a serious punch in this fast-paced metagame. Its offensive stats are quite decent enough; its Speed allows it to outpace key threats while dishing out good damage thanks to its good Attack. Swinub is usually seen on hail teams because of its ability, Snow Cloak, which boosts its evasion in hail. The only trouble problem Pokemon that Swinub actually faces usually runs into is Bronzor, which resists both of Swinub's STAB attacks. Even though Swinub is a decent Pokemon all around, its defenses are lacking and it does not resist any priority attacks. Swinub also doesn't have a reliable way of boosting its own stats outside of the risky Curse. Although many Pokemon can easily outspeed and bash Swinub, it can still succeed in this metagame.</p>

[SET]
Name: Lead
Move 1: Protect
Move 2: Ice Shard
Move 3: Stealth Rock
Move 4: Earthquake / Superpower
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a movepool just right for leading, Swinub can fend off most leads while setting up Stealth Rock. Protect prevents Fake Out leads such as Meowth and Aipom from breaking Swinub's Focus Sash. Ice Shard allows Swinub to pick off several Pokemon, most notably leads that have activated their Focus Sash. Stealth Rock should be set up as soon as possible so that it can take effect right off the bat. Earthquake is Swinub's primary STAB attack,(comma) which that can deal immerse damage to most leads. Since the combination of Earthquake and Ice Shard KOs KOes Meowth but not Aipom, Superpower can be used in Earthquake's place for the KO on Aipom; Superpower is also able to dent Bronzor. Focus Sash guarantees a set-up of that you will set up Stealth Rock,(comma) as well as granting another turn to use Ice Shard. The given EVs maximize Swinub's Attack and Speed stats, while increasing Swinub's bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are several leads that can easily take down Swinub, such as Machop and Drifloon. Machop can smack Swinub with a super effective DynamicPunch, which also causes Swinub to only have a 50% chance of moving, due to the confusion effect. Drifloon can survive Ice Shard while denting Swinub back with Shadow Ball; it can then finish Swinub off with Sucker Punch, which out-prioritizes Ice Shard. Pokemon like Duskull, Slowpoke, and Munchlax can easily eliminate those leads. Duskull is immune to Fighting and can burn Machop with Will-O-Wisp, Slowpoke has a Fighting-type resistance and can OHKO Machop with Zen Headbutt, and Munchlax has great special bulk to take on Drifloon's attack Drifloon with and Pursuit to remove the balloon.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Ice Fang / Ice Shard
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Superpower
Move 4: Return
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice Scarf, Swinub reaches 22 Speed, outspeeding all non-Scarfed Pokemon. This means that Swinub can easily revenge kill a plethora of slower Pokemon. Ice Fang and Earthquake are its two main STAB attacks and are Swinub’s main form of damaging the opponent. Superpower is Swinub’s best way to damage Bronzor, as it resists or is immune to all of its other moves. Return dishes out great neutral coverage on Pokemon like Surskit and Koffing. Ice Shard can be used over Ice Fang to outspeed and KO Bagon and Dratini after one Dragon Dance.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Swinub appreciates entry hazards on the opponent's side of the field, as they gives give Swinub an easier time KOing the target. Chimchar is a decent Stealth Rock user that also resists Swinub's Fire and Steel Fire- and Steel-type weaknesses. In terms of Spikes, Omanyte is a great partner to consider due to its 4x Fire-type resistance. Snover is very helpful to Swinub as it provides a never-ending hailstorm, giving Swinub the Snow Cloak boost. There are quite a number of Pokemon that give this set some trouble, like Bronzor and Choice Scarf Mankey. Magnemite traps and beats Bronzor, while Slowpoke walls all of Mankey's attacks, bar U-turn, and cripples it with Thunder Wave or OHKOes it with Zen Headbutt.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Snover is Swinub's best partner, mainly because of its ability. it with Zen Headbutt.</p> Snow Warning provides a never-ending hailstorm, which activates Swinub's Snow Cloak ability. Additionally, Snover provides an easy switch-in against enemy Water-types, which are threatening to Swinub. Munchlax can be considered because of its high Special Defense stat and Thick Fat, which stops Fire-type attacks aimed at Swinub cold. Mantyke has good synergy with Swinub as it can take on Fire-, Water-, Steel-, and Fighting-type attacks while Swinub absorbs Electric-type attacks. Bronzor is capable of stopping physical threats, such as Barboach and Paras, from ruining Swinub due to its great defenses. Another Pokemon that benefits from Swinub is Elekid, since Swinub can remove Electric resistances opposing Pokemon who resist Elekid's STAB, such as Gligar and Dratini. With such Pokemon out of the battle, Elekid doesn't have to worry as much about being stopped and can now attack freely.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Swinub has quite a small, yet unique pool of other options that can be utilized to your advantage. As another set, you could opt to use an Endeavor set, with Endure, Ice Shard, and Earthquake, holding a Salac Berry. If needed, Rock Slide could be used instead of Superpower or Earthquake to KO those pesky Bug-types easier more easily than the Ice your Ice-type STAB attacks; unfortunately, Swinub doesn't get Stone Edge. Also, Swinub could be using a use mixed set, as with Hidden Power Fire and a Life Orb, Swinub deals 40% - 56% damage to Bronzor and OHKOes Snover. This isn't recommended because it has little use outside of those Pokemon,(comma) and,(remove) Superpower is just good enough to deal with both Pokemon anyway. You could opt to use Curse, as Swinub's Ice Shard can get rid of Curse's side effect, but Swinub will still be forced out easily. Dual screens sounds like a good idea, but Swinub's defensive stats just aren't good enough for it to be a substantial benefit.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Due to Swinub's mediocre defenses, and lack of resistances, it has a plethora of counters. One hit from any powerful super effective attack will always result in an OHKO against Swinub. Fighting-type Pokemon such as Mankey and Machop can easily smash Swinub with Fighting-type their STAB attacks, though they must avoid switching in on Earthquake. Physical walls like Bronzor can take hits from Swinub with ease and deal damage back. Choice Scarf Houndour can OHKO Swinub with any Fire-type attack with ease, but cannot switch in on Superpower or Earthquake. Almost any faster sweeper that isn't weak against Ice Shard, such as Staryu, Ponyta, and Choice Scarf Magnemite, can beat Swinub as long as they switch in on the right move. Because of Mantyke's Speed and Water-type STAB, it is another great counter to Swinub. Surskit receives a special mention because of its resistances to both of Swinub's STABs and access to Hydro Pump. Priority users, including Squirtle, Carvanha, and Croagunk, can all destroy Swinub once it has been weakened enough via residual damage.</p>

Lots of spacing errors here, probably from the last GP check. I'd advise that you go through this after you implement this check and make sure there are none left over.

metsrule158

Don't disturb him on his break.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Those changes have been made. Thank you bugmaniacbob. This analysis is now ready for uploading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)