Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

No doubt. Just haven’t heard anything about it. Despite being a new Pokédex entry it’s only been available in spin offs so far.
Let's Go isn't a spinoff because it was developed by Game Freak and has ポケットモンスター in its title. (Reminder that neither "core series" nor "main series" is a thing in Japanese - it's "Pocket Monsters series" as in literally the games that don't abbreviate the word "Pokemon" in their titles.)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
It's interesting how being that one idiot that plays Pokemon with Status Moves only affects how I see things. For example, Dynamaxing.

Anything I Touch @ Item
252 HP/??? Def/??? SpD
- Max Guard
- Max Guard
- Max Guard
- Max Guard

Unless Max Guard is a 100% rate Protect, even I think this looks useless. Either way, Dynamaxing looks like the stupidest thing they've ever done. I'm on the fence about if it's stupid as in hilarious and awesome or stupid as in stupid.

I like both legends enough that I'd usually wait to see the other version exclusives before choosing, but Shield felt too right for me. That said, I like Shield's Legend more anyway.

Dreadnaw's head is weird, but the rest of its body looks cool.

My first thought about Gossifleur and Eldegoss is I'm surprised they're not Grass/Fairy. Then again, Florges isn't Grass/Fairy... :\ I don't have much to say about other their looks other than Glossifler is cute and Eldgloss's normal coloration looks normal even though those shades of green are usually reserved for Shiny Grass Types... What if the shiny is a shade like forest green? :P Anyway, they're probably early game Pokemon if the apparent first gym has them. They also have Regenerator and the seeds in Eldegloss's fluff practically scream that they learn Leech Seed... Is it too early to plan teams?

Corviknight is my favorite Gen VII Pokemon. I'm not saying favorite so far because I'm sure it's going to stay my favorite. I really hope they're found around the time you can find TM 06. (Side note: In a dream its base attack was either 159 or 194 and I decided it's still worth using purely defensively.)

Wooloo is very cute. 'nuf said, right? Well, read what they say about it.
The white fur that covers their bodies grows throughout their lives, and it will fully grow back in three months even if the Wooloo has been completely shorn. The fur is used for clothing and carpets and the like, and it is very popular as a specialty product of the Galar region. Wooloo live as a herd and mimic the actions of their Trainer or herd leader. They dislike conflict, and if they need to escape from enemies, they will simply roll away.
I'm imagining Wooloo like a fluffy fainting goat that just happen to roll away. XD

Some minor things:

A Black Belt was shown throwing a Pokeball in the trailer. He throws like he's doing a palm strike.

Dynamaxing your Pokemon appears to return the Pokemon to its Pokeball, which then grows, then sending it out again. Between this and how the "Dynamax Ball" looks, it feels like hacking the Pokeball to alter the size of the Pokemon inside. Hacking Pokeballs is cheating, right?

Serebii has a screenshot showing Scorbunny's moves at Level 15 and it knows Double Kick! You know what that implies?

In the trailer shot that goes around the Grass Gym, there's some details like light frame corners and a watermark that make me pretty sure it's the Rotomcam's point of view.

Edit: Just thought I'd clarify because it's hard to tell the intended tone over forums, I just mentioned Double Kick for trolling purposes. But seriously, after two generations, I feel like they should be able to make another Fire/Fighting Starter as long as they don't do it three generations in a row again. :P

Last edited:
I'm imagining Wooloo like a fluffy fainting goat that just happen to roll away. XD
Little do you know, but there's a scene where you can see Wooloo actually rolling to move...

Serebii has a screenshot showing Scorbunny's moves at Level 15 and it knows Double Kick! You know what that implies?
Luckily, nothing, Litten learns it too.
I wildguessed that both are given a fighting move for same reason Eevee and Pikachu get one in Let's Go (in fact, the same move, Double Kick): easing matchup against the inevitable early Rock types if you decide to pick the Fire starter.

Please NO fire fighting, please no fire fighting, please no fire fighting!!!!!!!!!

I like the direct a lot, just hope for a Bagpipe version of the pokemon theme, that would be awesome

I feel like I'm the only person who would be fine with Scorbunny being Fire/Fighting. It's not a jerk I've ever understood, especially since I don't see anyone worrying about Sobble and Grookey being pure Water and Grass, which we've had the same number of times as Fire/Fight. And I'd rather have any dual type than a pure typed starter.

Not being disingenuous, I legit don't really understand the argument.

Few more things I want to add:

Chloe noticed that Zacian and Zamazenta are based on the CMYK colour model and that yellow and key (black) are missing...
inb4 the third legendary is a wolf names Zazytron (citron) with a giant ballista on its back.

That Nidoqueen and Nidoking are Fire/Fighting?

Seriously though, while I understand the concern (tho TBH Scorbunny is really screaming Fire/Fighting even as a first stage, so it wouldn't be *so* bad), moves alone do not a typing make. TBH what we really need is a Fire/Fighting that *isn't* a starter.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My rather quick and dirty thoughts on some of the new Pokemon as well as other Pokemon connected features:

POKEMON:
Corviknight:
Already liking the region bird(?)! It looks awesome! Makes sense for them to be a raven fused with a knight, FUN FACT: The Tower of London has a tradition of keeping six ravens as their presence is believed to protect "The Crown" and the tower. Not a bad typing and Pressure is a decent Ability, guessing it'll probably be a physical leaning Pokemon (and maybe Speed, they're the air taxi of the region after all). Most obvious comparison is Skarmory, but if they focus on Attack and maybe Speed more I think it can make a mark of its own.

Drednaw: While Turtwig was based on a snapping turtle, it quickly lost that basis after evolving and focused more on being a world turtle. It's appearance I think takes a bit to get used to (and I think the stock art is better than the 3D model), but Drednaw is the real deal if only because it actually has Strong Jaws (and Shell Armor but that's pretty standard for a turtle Pokemon, but I think Strong Jaw is the main Ability on focus here). Like with Corviknight above, probably will focus on Attack and Defense but obviously slower (maybe putting those extra points for higher HP and/or Special Defense, though not sure how much that'll help if up against Grass-type moves...). But there is one problem I see: it's a Water/Rock-type but there's no biting Water- or Rock-type move. It would be odd to give it an Ability without a STAB to work with it, so I think/hope we get one (or both, Sharpedo and Bruxish would love a Water-type and Tyrunt family a Rock-type one; not to mention the other Pokemon who would like it like the Totodile family (how do they not have Strong Jaw?)).

Zacian & Zamazenta: As expected, both are wolves though I wasn't expecting them to look so much alike. That's not a bad thing, just something interesting and curious if this affects the game's story and lore. Focusing on them individually, I was not expecting Zacian to literally be wielding a sword, and yes it does bring to mind Sif from Dark Souls (and Repede from Tales of Vesperia). I think it does fair a bit better than Zamazenta, the shield face/beard making it look a bit too busy (but on its own it doesn't look too bad). I also notice both look to have wings, and while for Zamazenta looks like it could unfold to be part of its shield beard for Zacian kind of looks out of place. I think it goes without saying that Zacian would be offense focus and Zamazenta defense (playing on the old tale/paradox of the unstoppable force (sword/spear that can cut through anything) vs the immovable object (unbreakable shield); what happens when those two forces collide?). Not going to guess Abilities but I'll make a small Type prediction: I think Zacian will be Steel/Fighting (gotta get STAB on Sacred Sword after all) while Zamazenta will be pure Steel. Also, can't help but notice all the "Z"s and "A"s in their names, hmm...

Huh? Where's my opinion on Gossifleur, Eldegoss, and Wooloo? For all the none of you who thought that, keep your eyes on the Flying Press soon. ;)

POKEMON OTHER:
Wild Pokemon Encounters:
So turns out they are bringing in Let's Go's mechanic of having wild Pokemon on the field! :D Not only that, they'll also have normal wild encounters in tall grass but you're told where via a "!". Still, looks like there may be no more random encounters. Curious if that means they'll be retiring the Repels, unless you can use them to prevent battles from happening/keep Pokemon from chasing you. Also curious if that also means they'll bring in the Lures and Let's Go's catch chaining in some form.

Wild Area: So between the starting town & steampunk city and between steampunk city & dragon city those large area of wilderness is a new feature. They are constantly changing environments where many species of Pokemon live, the weather affecting what species are available. And you can, GASP, control the camera! This sounds both exciting and also a little intimidating. Exciting as it'll give us something we'd be wanting to see: beautiful environments with all sorts of Pokemon living there. But it's intimidating because this will probably be the main location to catch Pokemon. How much time are we expected/would want to be there? Would there be other things to do besides battling/catching Pokemon? And how will they handle level progression? Like the screenshots are showing a lot of strong and fully evolved Pokemon in a location that looks like it'll be accessible early in the game. Would The Wilds get stronger and stronger Pokemon as we beat the Gyms? But what if we want to go back and train our weaker Pokemon? Sure, we'll probably still have the Routes levels stay the same though it feels like they're trying to make the Wild Area the place you'd want to be for your Pokemon catching and battling.

Rotom Phone: Now this is a surprise, Rotom Dex is coming back but now as a mobile phone! Hopefully they heard our complaints about it and have made it less intrusive while also giving it more things to say/ask about. Though I do like that it'll have more uses like giving your bike additional abilities like being faster or travelling over water (curious if it'll give it any other like being able to smash rocks, pretty much being the replacement for Poke Rides). This also has interesting implications for the anime, does this mean that Rotom Dex may be travelling with Ash now? Also, looks like Hop gets to have a blue Rotom Phone, I want a blue Rotom Phone! This is the whole "Barry getting a unique color Poketch" all over again.

And this is all for now. Sorry, don't have much free time these days. Next post will probably be the more interesting as I have a few thoughts on the characters shown and the Dynamex mechanic. And of course after all that I got plenty of pages of posts to comment and like. Seeya then!

Dynamaxing your Pokemon appears to return the Pokemon to its Pokeball, which then grows, then sending it out again. Between this and how the "Dynamax Ball" looks, it feels like hacking the Pokeball to alter the size of the Pokemon inside. Hacking Pokeballs is cheating, right?
I suppose it is now authorised enough to allow using it. Besides, Max Raid is also a thing, so it seems they are simply replicating what the nature offered to them. (I'll be honest that I'm interested in this kind of "trivia talk" about world-building)

On Fire/Fighting, one problem with it is that, in the setting of starters, we would eventually run out of roles for it, not just that it is freaking annoying to have 3 family lines in a row as of now. We had the speed-offensive Blaziken, and then Infernape invalidated it, and then Blaziken counter-invalidate it with Speed Boost and Emboar become the bulky Fire/Fighting (and failing to do that). If there'll be another Fire/Fighting, the other will be invalidated unless they have unique enough capability.

Still, Fire/Fighting is pretty much a sin that will not be cleansed for... at least until Gen10 at least. While on that, they should try using new combinations they haven't done or rare combinations.
Rotophone snip
One thing I dislike about Rotom Phone is it's design, though. The "wisp leg" on its lower part look off, or I'm just too used with RotomDex's mini-foot. The Rotom Dex seems to have overall more thoughtful design too while RotoPhone is just a phone with Rotom's appendage things. And I may be more tolerant to Rotom's useless Advice Corners we didn't even ask for, but I think there'll be much less map-blocking due to how Switch is only one-screen unlike 3DS where he can "freely" tell us something we already knew on 2nd screen.
Unless GF decides Rotom to intrude us in the only screen, which is pure evil.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So here are some Pokemon "almost worst case scenario" base stat estimates thus far, with screens to boot! These are assuming max IVs and Not enough EVs to make a difference (hence worst case scenario in most cases, lower IVs = higher base stats), and a neutral nature for everything unless otherwise stated. When there are multiple screenshots, I sorta "venn diagram" the stats to get the range down.

EDIT: I fixed Sobble's stats. What the hell at its SpA stat tho o_O

Grookey

HP: 39-41

Dynamax Grookey

HP: 112-114 (holy shit, how the hell are they determining these HP boosts o_O)

Scorbunny

HP: 43-48

Sobble (thank you SadisticMystic !)

This one is cool because we got a full stat range! For some reason, Sobble has a massive SpA stat for a level 6 starter mon, so I almost wonder if Gamefreak hacked in max SpA EVs o_O. I'm assuming +SpA too because of this.

EDIT: Turns out, it could be lower depending on how the level up screen adds stats. If it "rolls the numbers over" like some games, they're higher. If they just add them immeditly, then its lower. If I were a betting man, I'd go with the lower stats because they seem... more normal, if low defensively lol.

Max IV stats (Lower end if numbers are not rolled over)

HP 39-49
AT 60-79
DF 27-49
SA 77-89 (68-79 if they demoed one with a +nature)
SD 25-41
SP 52-69

Max IV stats (if numbers are rolled over)

HP: 43-49
Attack: 60-67
Defense: 35-42
Special Attack: 93-101 (WTF THATS STILL HIGH WITH A +SPA NATURE, and higher than Lugia's SpA LOL. If Gamefreak hacked it to have max SpA EVs, it goes down to a more reasonable 62-69 SpA lol)

Special Defense: 25-29 (Something tells me this is the minus nature. If its Rash, then SpD is 27-42, in line with the Defense stat)
Speed: 69-76

Eldegoss

HP: 55-56

Drednaw

Drednaw is a lot more shakey because of the high level. Hard to tell if its a fresh caught late game mon or if its been raised for a while. Also, I wasn't able to effectively venn diagram this one either. It seems like the US one has a lower IV or less EVs than the Japanese one, however.

HP with max IVs and 0 EVs: 77-80

HP with max EVs (for ref): 45-48

HP with 0 IVs and 0 EVs: 92-95

Corviknight

Corviknight is a lot more shakey because of the high levels. Hard to tell if its a fresh caught late game mon or if its been raised for a while. Also, I wasn't able to effectively venn diagram this one either.

HP with max IVs and 0 EVs: 91-93

HP with max IVs and max EVs: 59-62 (So worst case scenario, it has an HP stat a bit lower than Skarmory's, neat!)

HP with 0 IVs and 0 EVs: 106-109

Dynamax Corviknight

(Once again, thanks to SadisticMystic !)

HP with max IVs and 0 EVs: 142 (!)

I think its safe to say with this and Dynamax Grookey, Dynamax gives a 50% boost to your raw HP stat!

Last edited:

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(Thanks Theorymon for reminding me to post this given the post above)

It's important to note that when attempting to calculate base stats given screenshots in the trailers, GF has used 15 HP IVs and messed around with EVs/natures to make the new Pokemon seem better than they are. Some of you are aware of this, but it's always useful to remind everyone whenever there are new Pokemon.

For example, when USUM was about to be released, we saw in a trailer that a Level 40 Bewear used Hammer Arm and did 96 damage to a Level 43 Lycanroc-Dusk which had 123 HP. If you assumed uniformity between all of the Bewear's and Lycanroc-Dusk's characteristics, you would calculate that Lycanroc-Dusk has well over 100 base Defense. We now know that it only has base 65 Defense, and thus they probably gave it 252 EVs and a Defense-boosting nature, along with giving the Bewear fewer than 31 Attack IVs, 0 EVs, and possibly an Attack-reducing nature.

There was also a little variance in the possible HP stat, but now that we know Lycanroc-Dusk has base 75 HP, a Level 43 Lycanroc-Dusk with 15 HP IVs and 0 HP EVs would have 123 HP, which is the most likely scenario. I believe GF may have used 15 IVs in other trailer scenarios as well.

So, when estimating the HP stat based off an in-battle screenshot, 15 IVs and 0 EVs is not a bad assumption, and when estimating base stats from damage rolls, you should always consider and calculate the scenario in which they tried to make the Pokemon as powerful or as bulky as possible.

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(Thanks Theorymon for reminding me to post this given the post above)

It's important to note that when attempting to calculate base stats given screenshots in the trailers, GF has used 15 IVs and messed around with EVs/natures to make the new Pokemon seem better than they are. Some of you are aware of this, but it's always useful to remind everyone whenever there are new Pokemon.

For example, when USUM was about to be released, we saw in a trailer that a Level 40 Bewear did 96 damage to a Level 43 Lycanroc-Dusk which had 123 HP. If you assumed uniformity between all of the Bewear's and Lycanroc-Dusk's characteristics, you would calculate that Lycanroc-Dusk has well over 100 base Defense. We now know that it only has base 65 Defense, and thus they probably gave it 252 EVs and a Defense-boosting nature, along with giving the Bewear fewer than 31 Attack IVs, 0 EVs, and possibly an Attack-reducing nature.

There was also a little variance in the possible HP stat, but now that we know Lycanroc-Dusk has base 75 HP, a Level 43 Lycanroc-Dusk with 15 HP IVs and 0 HP EVs would have 123 HP, which is the most likely scenario. I believe GF may have used 15 IVs in other trailer scenarios as well.

So, when estimating the HP stat based off an in-battle screenshot, 15 IVs and 0 EVs is not a bad assumption, and when estimating base stats from damage rolls, you should always consider and calculate the scenario in which they tried to make the Pokemon as powerful or as bulky as possible.
Great points, I'll try to update these later with that assumption!

As a note, Sobble's SpA seems REALLY high for a starter, with it being 93 base SpA minimum, MUCH higher than the offensive stats of any other Water-starter. Does make me wonder if Gamefreak hacked in max SpA EVs for once, since without them, it has a 62 minimum for base SpA, which seems much more inline with a starter.

Sobble's actual stat range, assuming it has no more than 1 EV by level 6 and no more than 7 in each stat by level 10, is:
HP 39-49
AT 60-79
DF 27-49
SD 25-41
SP 52-69

Also curious if that also means they'll bring in the Lures and Let's Go's catch chaining in some form.
A way to "chain for IVs and HAs" obviously has to be reintroduced, as it was a staple of last titles (Horde in gen 6, SoS in gen 7, chains in Let's Go).
However, I doubt it could be chaining: the reason that "worked" in Let's Go was because the game itself is mostly about catching a lot of pokemon of same type for candies and experience, which obviously would not really work in a main series title, and even if they changed the mechanic of the chain from "catch" to "defeat", there's still the issue that while Let's Go mostly had routes where at most 4 or 5 species would show up (bar rare spawn), SwSh could potentially feature 3-4 times more Pokemon in each route, making chaining just extremely impractical.

Personally, I think they will simply repropose SoS or Horde battles as "IV/HA farming mechanism".

Theorymon

Sobble's actual stat range, assuming it has no more than 1 EV by level 6 and no more than 7 in each stat by level 10, is:
HP 39-49
AT 60-79
DF 27-49
SD 25-41
SP 52-69
So we were just chatting tabout this on discord, it seems like this may depend on how the level up animation works in the game. Some of the games don't apply the stat boosts until the + numbers are "rolled into" the Pokemon, some just apply them immeditly. When I get out of the house I'll just put both spreads in for now.

Has there been any actual footage of a level up in Sword and Shield yet?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Theorymon

After getting tipped off by SadisticMystic (big thanks) it looks like that 166 HP Level 50 Corviknight has an HP after Dynamaxing of 249.

Considering that 249 is exactly 166*1.5 and 61 is 41*1.5 if you truncate the decimal, it seems fairly likely that rather than being a change to the base stat, Dynamax might be a 1.5x increase to the raw HP stat (along with whatever changes happen to the other stats). It'll definitely be something to look out for in the future to confirm/deny this.

Looking forward to the new Choice Bracer, which will grant any Pokémon a 50% HP boost while in battle at the cost of only being able to use one move.
I'd be expecting the HP boost to come in the form of the Assault Helmet, personally.

Reactions: Ivy

Theorymon

Theorymon

After getting tipped off by SadisticMystic (big thanks) it looks like that 166 HP Level 50 Corviknight has an HP after Dynamaxing of 249.

Considering that 249 is exactly 166*1.5 and 61 is 41*1.5 if you truncate the decimal, it seems fairly likely that rather than being a change to the base stat, Dynamax might be a 1.5x increase to the raw HP stat (along with whatever changes happen to the other stats). It'll definitely be something to look out for in the future to confirm/deny this.
Woah, is there a screenshot of this anywhere?

If so, man I totally want to start doing damage calcs assuming Dynamaxing, there might be some crazy shit there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)