Tailwind Team

A team that will be used for Random Matchup doubles. Posted it here because Random Matchup follows same rules as VGC. Could be used for VGC'12 and maybe next year if the rules are the same.

Eelektross-252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpDef
Item: Flying Gem
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Adamant

Acrobatics
Wild Charge
Crunch
Protect

Eelektross is a Pokemon that can do so much. It's not easy to predict weather it is running physical, special, or even mixed. But with the physical set, it gives you more options like BW2 give it Aqua Tail. Flying Gem Acrobatics is it's strongest move. Has a great chance to use it. Once BW2 come out I might replace it with Aqua Tail, and give it an electric gem or some other item. Wild Charge is it's STAB move. Crunch can hit psychic, and ghost pokemon with super effective damage. It's useful against Cresselia. Then Protect allows it to be safe while an ally takes out the current threat.

Metagross-252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant

Bullet Punch
Zen Headbutt
Earthquake
Protect

Metagross' great stats let it stick around for a while while dishing out major damage. Bullet Punch is a great priority move hich single handily takes out Archeops. It's also useful for those Pokemon with a little HP left. Zen Headbutt serves as it's primary stab move which with Tailwind always has that little chance of a flinch. Earthquake is a nice spread move which is effective against a handful of different Pokemon. Then protect is to be safe while a partner takes out the threat.

Blaziken-4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Jolly

Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Sky Uppercut
Protect

Blaziken is my major damage disher. Speed Boost helps once Tailwind peters out. Flare Blitz is it's main STAB move as well as it's strongest. Sky uppercut serves as a type coverage move, and it gets a boost from STAB. Then Brave Bird is another type coverage move. Protect is to once again stall while the other Pokemon on my team takes out the threat. Also it can be used to raise speed.

Togekiss-160 HP/96 SpAtk/252 Spd
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid

Thunder Wave
Air Slash
Tailwind
Roost

Togekiss is my secondary provider of Tailwind. Not as useful because it does not have Prankster, but useful in a different way because of it's bulkiness and ability to annoy other pokes with flinching. Thunder Wave is useful for paralyzing. Then Roost is great to make Togekiss last longer.

Kingdra-4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
Item: Water Gem
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Timid

Dragon Pulse
Muddy Water
Ice Beam
Protect

I chose to use Swift Swim instead of Sniper because if this Pokemon gets a Ccrit it will more than likely 1HKO anyway. Also if I use Whimsicott in against a Rain Team, and it uses it's priority Sunny Day. Opposing Thundurus uses HP Flying, then Politoed uses Surf, Whimsicott is dead. Thundurus then uses priorty Rain Dance, and I'm left with no Tailwind. Thats where I can use Swift Swim to take Advantage of that, especially if they switch into Kingdra, and I use Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse is to take out dragons. Muddy Water I think, is a good spread move. Water Gem makes it a powerful one to. Ice Beam is there for type coverage. Protect is there for the same reason it is there for the past 3 pokes.

Whimsicott-252 Spd
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Jolly

Sunny Day/Helping Hand
Tailwind
Endeavor
Protect

I am honestly torn between Sunny Day, and Helping Hand. I've tried both of them out multiple times on Random Matchup, and they are both very good. I just don't know which one to make "official". Tailwind sets up several Pokemon on my team like Kingdra, Togekiss, Blaziken, and Metagross who just have average speed stats. It allows them to do an effective sweeping job. Endeavor is for after Sash kicks in to lower any Pokemon to 1 HP which is more damage then a 252 SpAtk Whimsicott would do. Protect is for me to wait while I take the threat out with another Pokemon. Then I can maybe pull off another Endeavor.

Alright, here's what I can rate:

Eelektross: Haha, I enjoy seeing Acrobatics Eelektross being used. EV spread looks good, I've used this kind of Eelektross before to good effect.

Metagross: Hm, I think giving it a Choice Band or Scarf would be a good idea, replacing Bullet Punch with Iron Head and Protect with Ice Punch, the extra power has proven more worthy for me than extra survivability against Fire.

Blaziken: Considering the good amount of Flying coverage you have, I think Brave Bird really isn't necessary. I'd replace it with Rock Slide, which is coverage your team is sorely lacking.

Togekiss: Hmm, this bulky Togekiss set looks pretty good, but personally I find that Protect > Roost in the VGC format. I'd also suggest giving it a King's Rock because Air Slash flinching is the only real reason why most people fear Togekiss.

Kingdra: I... really don't see his point of Kingdra not being on a rain team. I might suggest replacing it with Hydreigon or Latios, which are much more reliable to run, and more powerful. Also it is worth noting Latios does indeed have access to Tailwind.

Whimsicott: Helping Hand over Sunny Day, definitely. Sunny Day really doesn't really benefit anyone outside Blaziken. It also looks like complete Taunt bait, as if it's Taunted, it's going to be useless in a second, which is why I would suggest Mental Herb over Focus Sash. I personally don't like Whimsicott that much in this VGC season, but if he's working out for you, then hey, go ahead.
Also, he's missing the rest of his EVs.

Overall nice team, it's cool to see people using some more awkward Pokemon. Honestly Random Matchup isn't the exact same as VGC, as there is no strict time limit and Pokemon like Zapdos aren't seen as much, but this looks like it works. I would just add a bit more to the descriptions and study a bit more and detail on how your team deals with common threats.

I'm pretty much done with this metagame, but I'll add on to TKoWL's rate:

Blaziken: Since you're running TW, you need to change the Jolly nature to Adamant since you have that speed boost + TW boost.

Togekiss: A bold or calm nature would really benefit it's defense's.

Kingdra: A TKoWL said, Kingdra really isn't necessary on this team if it has no rain. Latios is great synergy with Metagross, and as TKoWL said, it gets tailwind, great for some extra TW support.

It's a pretty standard tailwind team overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)