Tales of Vesperia (360/PS3) and Tales of Symphonia DotNW (Wii) Discussion

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
August 7th confirmed for Japan.
August 2008 confirmed for North America.
2009 confirmed for Europe.

Demo in June on Xbox Live Marketplace.

God I can't wait to get this game. Loved Symphonia, glad I got my 360 a while ago.

Just curious, is Vesperia some sort of sequel/prequel to Abyss? I haven't finished Abyss yet (PS2 broke down...), so I'm a bit anxious if Vesperia spoils the ending for me. ;-;

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tales of Vesperia is completely unrelated to any other game in the series. The only games with storyline connections are:

Tales of Destiny -> Tales of Destiny 2* (the only main series direct sequel)
Tales of Phantasia -> Tales of Symphonia (Symphonia is a prequel to Phantasia, but very loosely so)
Tales of Symphonia -> Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (DotNW is a spin-off, but it's a direct sequel story-wise)

Also, all the various Tales of the World, Tales of Fandom, and whatever other fan service games use characters from throughout the series.

*Tales of Destiny 2 refers to the Japanese game. The English "Tales of Destiny 2" was actually Tales of Eternia, which was later re-released as Tales of Eternia on the PSP in Europe as well. Tales of Destiny 2 has never been translated.

Wait, so Dawn is confirmed for August? Awesome, this means I can play it before I go off to college.

This post implies that I love Tales of Symphonia.

Firestorm

No, Vesperia is confirmed for August. Dawn of the New World is likely near the end of the year. Nintendo Power said Winter 08. Amazon.ca has November 19th or something.

Dawn of the New World got 8/8/8/7 in Famitsu (31/40). Symphonia got 34/40. So obviously Namco gave them more money for Symphonia than Dawn of the New World.

Firestorm

Tales of Vesperia Demo is out on Japanese Xbox Live Marketplace!
Download by following these instructions (takes like 3 minutes):
http://www.destructoid.com/eternal-...l-make-your-japanese-account-now--31512.phtml

I tried it for a few minutes. Will play again when I have more time.

- this was a really stupid story point to demo
- the environments don't look that great
- Yuri's mouth doesn't even move when he talks
- character models are awesome close-up

But the reason I played was to check the battle system. It's great but the controls can hopefully be changed. I'm finding it awkward to use B for artes and A for regular attacks. I'd much rather they be switched around. Also, I'd rather use the right trigger for switching targets rather than the right button.

Firestorm

The demo is also on US marketplace as I'm sure people are aware. Anyway, there's going to be a limited edition of the game :D Here are the two box arts.

Hi everyone, my name is Dennis Lee. I’m a senior marketing manager at Namco Bandai Games America working on Tales of Vesperia. Today I’d like to reveal something very exciting for all our fans – a special edition version of the game. Since it is the 10th anniversary of the Tales franchise here in North America and Vesperia marks an important new milestone for the series, we really wanted to prepare something special for all the fans that have followed the series for the past decade.

The special edition version of the game comes in a SteelBook case with its own unique cover art by longtime Tales character designer Kosuke Fujishima. The packaging itself is really high-quality, but what’s inside is even more exciting. We’ve combed through the music archives at Tales Studio in Japan and put together a bonus 10th anniversary soundtrack CD that will be included in every special edition package. Covering some of the series’ musical highlights from past and present, the CD contains 25 tracks, with 14 songs from Tales of Vesperia, two from Tales of Phantasia, two from Tales of Destiny, four from Tales of Symphonia and three from Tales of the Abyss.

The special edition version of Tales of Vesperia will be available in limited quantities exclusively through select retailers for a suggested retail price of $69.99. Tales of Vesperia ships to retailers on August 26, so check back here soon for more information about the game!
http://blogs.ign.com/NB_TalesOfVesperia/

Firestorm

The Affinitive marketing site, Tales Brigade is finally open for Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Been checking it relgiously for days @_@

Tales of Symphonia has to be one my favorite games, this pseudo sequel is going to rock. It's gonna rock harder than anything else on the wii anyway. Put it right up there next to Sonic Unleashed for most anticipated (for me anyway).

That being said I really hope Lloyd's playable.

Firestorm

He's playable but only for a part of it. If you've got a 360, check out Vesperia as it's by the same team that made Symphonia. Abyss on the PS2 is also made by Team Symphonia.

He's playable but only for a part of it. If you've got a 360, check out Vesperia as it's by the same team that made Symphonia. Abyss on the PS2 is also made by Team Symphonia.
Seriously? When'd they say that. I haven't looked it up since a while so any info would be great. Though I wish I had a PS2 or 360... the wii sucks these days...

Firestorm

Seriously? When'd they say that. I haven't looked it up since a while so any info would be great. Though I wish I had a PS2 or 360... the wii sucks these days...
When did they say what? I'm just saying which ones were made by Team Symphonia. They've done Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, and Tales of Vesperia.

When did they say what? I'm just saying which ones were made by Team Symphonia. They've done Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, and Tales of Vesperia.
that Lloyd's playable for part, sorry for being vague. But yeah I know about the team that does them, I've played tales of Phantasia and looked up tales of the Abyss and I have to say it's one of my favorite RPG lines mainly because of the battling interface.

Firestorm

Most of Phantasia's core team no longer works for Namco actually. They left after Namco made a bunch of changes in marketing Phantasia. After leaving, they formed Tri-Ace (Star Ocean series, Infinite Undiscovery, Valkyrie Profile series, etc).

As far as I know, there's only Emil and Marta who are playable for the whole game. The other two party slots are taken up by monsters you tame. From time to time, Symphona cast members fill in a spot or two but they're all temporary. I guess it's not confirmed whether or not Lloyd will be a party member at one point, but I doubt it'd be permanent.

For most purposes, Symphonia: DotNW is a spin-off. It's only a sequel in the story sense.

Firestorm: would it be wrong to hope for them to eventually port Vesperia to the PS3? I will buy either a PS3 or a XBOX360 sometime, but I was hoping on getting the PS3 only (Kingdom Hearts, mostly.)

Firestorm

Kingdom Hearts hasn't been announced for the PS3 yet so don't buy it before it's announced. I still there's there's a decent chance it could go Wii. Although I forgot whether or not it was Nomura who said he hated the Wii.

I think a PS3 Vesperia port is more likely than not. It's Bandai Namco after all. Whether or not that port will ever leave Japan is 50/50.

I say get both ;) 360 now, PS3 later. 360 gets its price drop to $299.99 for the 60GB unit on September 7th.

Also, I disagree with IGN on their graphics score.

Firestorm: would it be wrong to hope for them to eventually port Vesperia to the PS3? I will buy either a PS3 or a XBOX360 sometime, but I was hoping on getting the PS3 only (Kingdom Hearts, mostly.)
I'm having the same dilemma man. I can't choose whether to just suck it up and get a 360, or go for it and get a PS3. I hope that Vesperia gets ported to PS3, as that would be the tipping of the scale in the PS3s favor...

I think half of Firestorm post's were made in this thead. haha

Anyways, i'll be getting the Special Edition box art due to the fact that I think the original box art is horrendus. I don't care if I have to spend like 10 more bucks. I think it's worth it.

(I really think those flames are REALLY out of place, and they should have put more main characters in the original boxart?)

Firestorm

Namco fucking sucks and the collector's edition was delayed until today morning. Got it.

And before I start the game, here's the track listing for the soundtrack:

Tales of Vesperia
1. Youthful Days
2. March of Brave Vesperia
3. 1000 Year Slumber of the Blastia
4. Evolution and Harmony
5. Furnace of War
6. Burning Fighting Spirit
7. Undying Resolve
8. Fury Sparks
9. The Final Showdown
10. Absolute Victory
11. The Link
12. Around the World

Tales of Phantasia
13. I Miss you..
14. Final Act

Tales of Destiny
15. Bare Its Fangs
16. Silent Night + Endless Dream

Tales of Symphonia
17. Old Familiar Scent of Iselia
18. Derris-Kharlan ~Shrine~
19. Eternal Oath
20. Last Battle ~Decision~

Tales of the Abyss
21. Wing of Hope
22. Never Surrender

So no Fighting of the Spirit (unless Burning Fighting Spirit is a remix), Fatalize, or Meaning of Birth =( Maybe Volume 2's got them?

For some reason I have no French on my copy of the game. No where. Not on the box or instructions. Instruction booklet is huge, full colour, and has a few extra pages of artwork by Kosuke Fujishima and screenshots.

I just got my copy (regular edition) from UPS today, and I noticed something similar; except my version didn't have Spanish, only English and French.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I bought the game and having enjoyed Symphonia I'm loving this game. The best improvement so far IMO is the weapon skill system which give you skills based on the weapon you have equipped. Use it long enough and you'll learn the skill. It's cool in that I'm actually waiting to put on my more powerful weapons in favour of getting every skill.

Although this game doesn't seem to tell you when you get titles, or what the titles even do, what is up with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)