Tangrowth Discussion.

#465 Tangrowth
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 125 Def / 110 SAtk / 50 SDef / 50 Spd
Trait: Chlorophyll (speed doubles during Sunny Day)
Trait: Leaf Guard (Tangrowth cannot be statused during Sunny Day)

Notable Physical Movepool
Power Whip
Knock Off
Earthquake
Brick Break
Aerial Ace
Payback
Rock Slide
Poison Jab

Notable Special Movepool
Grass Knot
Leaf Storm
Energy Ball
Wring Out
Sludge Bomb
Focus Blast
Ancientpower

Notable Support Movepool
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore
Tickle
Growth
Swords Dance
Reflect

Tangrowth is a force to be reckoned with. Not quite as much a force as, say, Garchomp / CBtar / CBperior, but it's still quite a good Pokemon. Resistance to Earthquake / Thunderbolt is always welcomed and it can wall HP Grass Raikou with a few special defense EVs. It walls Electivire to a lesser extent, but it's still notable.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def -SAtk)
Trait: Chlorophyll / Leaf Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 152 Atk / 160 Def
-Power Whip
-Earthquake
-Stun Spore / Sleep Powder
-Reflect

Power Whip does more damage to Gyarados than Grass Knot, and Earthquake is for the electrics that Tangrowth walls. Raikou's Thunderbolt does ~30% damage to this Tangrowth on average whereas Earthquake is a OHKO against non-Reflect Raikou. Status things as you see fit and put up a Reflect to aid in walling physical threats.

I forgot who based their team around this, but I loved the idea of the Sunny Day Tangrowth@Life Orb. I believe it had an ice move for Dragons as well, including the obvious Grass/Ground moves.

EDIT: Was Toy and this was his set

Tangrowth (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Power Whip
- Earthquake

toy uses sunny day tangrowth.
quite a bit.

I like Sleep Powder and Leech Seed varients on this for my spikes teams, with Power Whip and Hidden Power [Ice/Fire] depending on what the team needs a bit more.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MOJONBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's one badass pokemon. good stats all around, and a way to work around the bad ones. i personally like how he is one of two STAB users of power whip

This is actually quite a good Gyara counter despite the Ice Fang weak. 125 base Def and 100 base HP makes it a pretty good physical wall. Also it resists a lot of special moves (Grass, Electric, Water) and can hit back against these types for a lot more damage back. Tangela always had good Defense but piss-poor SDef and HP so it couldn't be used. Tangrowth fixed these problems, now with the physical/special split Flying types suffer so that Tangrowth can physical wall.

I like Tangrowth a lot, but seeing as how both traits benefit from Sunny Day, Fire is usually a special type, and Tangrowth is weak to it, it still has a very exploitable weakness.

Anyone think a Leaf Storm/Power Whip moveset might become popular? I see Dragonite and Salamence movesets doing the same with Draco Meteor and a physical Dragon move.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Unfortunately, a lot of stuff resists Grass moves, which is a distinct disadvantage compared to Dragon. The nice part for Tangrowth is Focus Bomb, which helps against some Grass resists (Steel types in particular) as well as Blissey. Toss on HP Ice and you've got an effective Choice Specs Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/Focus Bomb/HP Ice set.

I tend to like Tangrowth's support options, though. Especially with Sunny Day support (either from Groudon or a Hot Rock Pokemon), Tangrowth has a lot of potential.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sceptile would be much better using Choice Specs with Energy Ball/Leaf Storm, Focus Blast, Dragon Pulse and HP whatever, with that 120 base speed. Choice Specs on Tangrowth doesn't really work with only 50 base speed.

I've actually just revealed my lead Pokemon. Silly me.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Tangrowth is probably easier to get in than Sceptile is, and with Sunny Day support it can actually be faster (Sceptile hates being slower than Weavile).

He certainly does have alot of potential, but 2 or 3 ice beams on every team + that special defense of his is going to hurt him alot. It's also a shame that he can't taunt since he could benefit from an amnesia.

I like misty's choice specs set. The poor thing just has to run from too much.

Tangrowth can learn morning sun by purifying tangela through XD.
but there's so many team which will run Ttar, and sandstorm reduce the amount of HP recovered by morning sun...
Dunno if it could be really effective there, but it could help by regaining HP after walled spec pokemon like raikou.
Sleep powder is still a good choice, but so many pokemon induce sleep easier with their speed which is far away better than tangrowth one... (except the case of sunny day team)

If I use tangrowth i will maybe run him as a good support pokemon, with knock off, leech seed/morning sun/sleep powder, earthquake (with enough atk to ohko good electrics pokemon), and power whip.

The idea of Misty running a choice spec tangrowth is attractive too but so many pokemon resist to grass, even if focus blast is sexy too, he is so inacurrate and fail to 2ohko blissey which is not really interresting. In that case it's much more interesting to use AGmence with Draco meteor which is more neutral, and the pokemon itself is much more dangerous...

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Tangrowth could use Nature Power to get something like Ice Beam or Hydro Pump if different environments are programmed into Competitor...

I think Toy's set will work a fair bit better than the first set, simply because Tangrowth needs Speed.

Will a Garchomp Fire Blast OHKO Tangrowth?

lol 50 base Sp Def and sunny Day Fire Blast, yes it will but Life Orb Power whip Ohkos it =()
. Also I just bred a tangela with perfect attack and spd Ivs. Im happy =)

I'm starting to really like this Pokemon, so I'll be putting it on my Infernape team.

I'd recommend using a Choice Scarf Heatran with him too. The prospect of having a Sunny Day and Flash Fire boosted Heatran seems very appealing. Plus you've got Tangela to slap around those pesky Water types for Heatran.

heres a question about leaf guard; can tangrowth rest in sunny day without sleeping 2 turns like dewgong/manaphy can with moist body in rain? or is it just that opponents can't land a status against it? if it's like moist body, a free resting tangrowth would be something to die for

No. It cures a status when you use Sunny Day. It can still be statused when Sunny Day is in effect.

I'm starting to really like this Pokemon, so I'll be putting it on my Infernape team.

I'd recommend using a Choice Scarf Heatran with him too. The prospect of having a Sunny Day and Flash Fire boosted Heatran seems very appealing. Plus you've got Tangela to slap around those pesky Water types for Heatran.
I really don't think that grass types counter Water Types very well, the probability for a Water pokemon to have Ice Beam is like 97%(3% being Rest/Calm Mind/Roar/Surf Suicune or something, but the Ice Beamer is viable) for all Water types. yeah.

Other than that Tangrowth is a good pokemon, Heatran is a good partner because of the 4x ice resist, but the fact that Ice moves are dominant on Water Pokes is kind of meh to me. But what Water Type would switch into Tangrowth?

I think it'll be one of the best Grass Types, and be very good in Ubers.

Misty

oh
I thought the point of Leaf Guard was to prevent enemy-inflicted status, but it wouldn't prevent self-inflicted status like Rest.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Not the same deal. Hydration stops self-inflicted status as well, allowing for infinite Chesto Rest as long as rain is up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)