Tank and Sweep

Introduction

I just recently began Tournament play and Wifi Battles and I found out the hard way that the level I was playing at before just wasn't cutting it. Attempting to ride in on a stallion made of destruction just did not work in meta play and I was sent home with my tail between my legs much more than I would prefer. So I began thinking long and hard about what type of Trainer I was and came to realize how much I adore strong defensive types, thus "Tank and Sweep" was born.
My favorite saying is "A great offense is a great defense." I couldn't agree more, and I believe this teams works well to emulate that very saying. With a variety of tanks and sweepers, this team can withstand many things thrown at it, and still have time for a nice cup of tea afterwards.

Dragonite- BRAVE (+ Attack/- Speed) EV: 252--Attack 252-- Special Defense
Ability: Multi Scale
Fire Punch
Dragon Tail
Extreme Speed
Roost
Item: Yache Berry

Dragonite was a fan favorite for an incredible amount of time until people began leaving Dragonite behind in favor of what they deemed as better dragons (Salamence and Flygon.) I still support Dragonite fully. With the higher defensive stats than both Flygon and Salamence, Dragonite and the wonderful Multi-Scale ability and the Yache Berry, as the great Lance once told us "Dragonite is nearly indestructile." Which in this case, could not be any closer to the truth. Fire Punch can deal with the intimidating Ice types such as Frosslass (once Trick Room is in effect) and can due massive damage to tanking Steel types as well. Dragon Tail works wonders with destroying HP slowly but surely (once coupled with Stealth Rock and 3x Spikes) and can be the bane of the majority of tanks and fast sweepers. Extreme Speed works as a quick revenge or switch in kill, regardless of Trick Room or not. Roost ensures the pain keeps coming and keeps Dragonite's Multi-Scale ability in play.

Ferrothorn SASSY (+Sp. Def./-Speed) EV: 252--HP. 252--Defense. 6--HP
Ability:Iron Barbs
Spikes
Power Whip
Toxic/Thunder Wave
Protect/Leech Seed
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Ferrothorn is my new best friend in Pokemon White. The wonderful combo of Grass and Steel coupled with Ferrothorn's incredibly high defense and special defense create a wall in which few can penetrate. Rocky Helmet paired with Ferroseed's Iron Barbs would cause 22% of the opponents HP to be diminished for every physical attack dealt to it. Spikes is used to stack 3 times (which causesa 25% HP loss on entry-if stacked) and to do damage to walls like Milotic and Snorlax. Power Whip is an excellent Grass type offensive move and works well with Ferroseed's medium Attack stat. Now Toxic vs Thunder Wave is a little hard for me. Now while I like the added damage Toxic does while the tanks I have on my team stall for damage (as well as implementing Ferrothorn's Protect for a longer stall and a flesh out of the opponents moveset.) While Thunder Wave is excellent for cutting speed and acticating the occasional Paralysis on a turn (leaving Ferrothorn open for Power Whip), the speed cut will work against me in a Trick Room set-up (which I will be running.) Leech Seed coupled with Leftovers will keep me in the game but offers no protection from attacks. Thus is my dilemma.

Jellicent RELAXED (+Def./ -Speed) EV: 252--Defense 252--HP 6-Sp. Att.
Ability: Water Absorb
Recover
Will]-O-Wisp
Surf
Shadow Ball
Item: Leftovers

Jellicent is a wonderful Water-type tank that rocks the best facial hair in the game (I'm looking at you Emboar) and works well in a variety of situations due to the Ghost type added as well. Water Absorb allows Jellicent to switch in on offensive Water Pokemon like Blastoise and Samurott and walk away unscathed. Recover ensures that Jellicent stays in game for as long as needed while waiting for statuses to take their victim (as well as move damage.) Will-O-Wisp can scare off other tanks like Metagross and Quagsire without too much trouble and as a bonus Will-o-Wisp cuts the attack and just adds to Jellicent's already significant bulk. Surf and Shadow Ball are added to work with Jellicent's significant Special Attack Stat and just gives Jellicent something to do as added damage. Leftovers works to keep Jellicent in the game for more time and works in conjunction with Recover.

Metagross BRAVE (+Attack/-Speed) EV: 252--Attack 252--Defense. 6--HP
Ability: Clear Body
Earthquake
Explosion
Stealth Rock
Bullet Punch
Item:Lum Berry

From pre/post games to meta play, Metagross is a force to be reckoned with both defensively and offensively. Clear body assures that nothing will stop Metagross's tanking and rampaging andthe held Lum Berry keeps off Sing/Yawn/Will-O-Wisp and any other annoying statuses long enough to put a counter in to finish off the status abuser. Earthquake does wonders with Metagross' problem with other steel types and can deal with Fire types before a move can be played out (with Trick Room active.) Stealth Rock is coupled with Spikes to add a hurt to any switching pokemon and Bullet Punch gives a fast hitting STAB technique for quick kills with weakened Pokemon switching in on Metagross. Explosion is a last ditch effort to wipe out any threats that just cannot be conquered with traditional techniques.

Typhlosion BRAVE (+Sp. Attack/ -Speed) EV: 252--Sp. Attack 252--HP. 6--Sp. Def
Ability: Blaze
Eruption
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Hidden Power: Grass
Item: Shucca Berry

Typhlosion is a great Fire Type boasting evenly balanced stats and exceptional Speed. Full Health Eruption and Flamethrower (coupled with Sunny Day) can OHKO or 2HKO anything that doesn't resist it first. Sunny Day works as both a boost to Typhlosion and Dragonite's fire techniques but also cancels out Rain Dance teams and as a bonus, lowers Water type techniques' power. The held Shuca berry weakens the ever-present Earthquake and Hidden Power works well with Typhlosion's high Special Attack and can finish off weakened Water Types as well as Sunny Day affected Water types.

Reuniclus SASSY (+Special Defense/ -Speed) EV: 510--HP
Ability: Magic Guard
Psychic/Psyshock (opinion?)
Trick Room
Recover
Focus Blast
Item: Life Orb

Reuniclus has the weakest Defense and Special Defense of any of my listed Pokemon but works splendidly as a Sweeper for late game (as well as continuously reapplying Trick Room.) Reuniclus has incredible Special Attack and Psychic boosted with both STAB and Life Orb can 2HKO most any Pokemon in the meta-game especially the ever present Gengar. Recover works to keep Reuniclus alive for a continued assault boosted along with the completely EV packed HP of Reuniclus, while Focus Blast can be used on a switch in to completely decimate a variety of Dark/ Steel/ and Rock types.

So there's my six. If you have any suggestion on nature, items, moves, or of course pokemon, just post them below. I'm trying to go with 3 tanks and 3 sweepers. The metagross can play as both a sweeper and a tank. Now remember this is a team for Single Battle Tournament Play.

I cant really help much aside from saying Your ev's arent the best. actually no they're down right horrible. I suggest using Smogons Strateydex for proper Evs and or movesets, as I'm sure this team would function about 10 times better after adjusting the Evs. Also Im not to sure about Typhlosion as it is rather outclassed by other firetypes like Infernape or volcarona.... Hope this helps

I cant really help much aside from saying Your ev's arent the best. actually no they're down right horrible. I suggest using Smogons Strateydex for proper Evs and or movesets, as I'm sure this team would function about 10 times better after adjusting the Evs. Also Im not to sure about Typhlosion as it is rather outclassed by other firetypes like Infernape or volcarona.... Hope this helps
The reason that I did not add Volcarona or Infernape is due to both their speed and how many counters they have in the meta-game. I absolutey hate Infernape and Volcarona just had too many exploitable weaknesses. Infernape is fast, completely against the point of my team, Typhlosion is about medium in the Speed stat, which works well for me. Now I would add Heatran but considering that would leave 2 pokemon with a massive weakness to ground attacks, I passed it up for the hard hitting Typhlosion. Yes I'm aware that Typhlosion has a weakness to ground but not a 4x weakness to it. As for the EV, I will look into it and see what can be changed.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team is incomplete as far the standards set. You need to adjust your EVs because all of your Pokemon will be at a major disadvantage in circumstances where fully EV trained teams will be wielding a more competitive edge.

Maximize your EVs or your thread will locked.

Hey man, see this is a TRICK ROOM TEAM I'll give you a rate. FIRST THIS TEAM IS HORRIBLE! BUT IT CAN BE FIXED.

1) You only have one pokemon that uses Trick Room which is bad. You need to put Trick Room on Jellicent.

2) Your EVS are WRONG ON ALMOST ALL OF YOUR POKEMON!
Use this set for Reuniclus
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
172 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Quiet
ability: Magic Guard
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

This is a great set for a Trick Room sweeper.

3) Also on Metagross use this set
Metagross @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
Move 1: Meteor Mash
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Bullet Punch / Zen Headbutt
Move 4: Ice Punch

In 5th Gen Metagross's EXPLOSION power has been cut in half. Also, you need 4 moves on your pokemon. Ice Punch is used to hit Gliscor and Dragon Types hard. Bullet Punch is here to for priority move for after Trick Room. Since you have Ferrothorn you don't need Stealth Rock on Metagross.

4) Get rid of Typhlosion and add Heatran
Heatran @ Air Baloon
Quiet Nature
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 4 Def
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power [Grass]

Heatran has perfect synergy with Ferrothorn, b/c it will absorb the Fire Attacks going to Ferrothorn which will help with you sweeping. Also it has good Synergy with Jellicent, b/c when water attacks go toward Heatran you can switch to Jellicent.

5) Now I would recommend taking out Dragonite and get a Choice Scarf Moxie Salamence.
B/c once Trick room is over you need a faster pokemon to handle with the other faster pokemon.
Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Jolly or Naive NAture
Moxie
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp Atk / 252 Speed
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Earthquake / Brick BReak
move 4: Fire Blast

This set is for revenge killing a lot of pokemon, and getting some quick KOs which means you get a +1 from Moxie.

6) Ferrothorn's set needs to be changed.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Move 1: Power Whip
Move 2: Stealth Rock
Move 3: Spikes / Leech Seed
Move 4: Protect / Gyro Ball

With this set this Ferrothorn will help stall out your opponent. And rack up the Entry Hazards which will help your sweepers get some much needed KOs and since you have Jellicent you have a Spin Blocker to keep your Entry Hazards in play, with Trick ROom up you will go first.
Hopefully I helped your team, if you have some concerns just VM or PM me.

I would suggest having a second trick room user to truly abuse the fact all your pokemon are rather slow. I like how you went with extremespeed for dragonite, as priority is wonderful synergy for trick room teams. When in trick room, ordinary attacks kill everything. When out of trick room, priority attacks weaken/kill everything.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Maybe a Choice Band Ferro would fit this team better?
Try Gengar or Bronzong for another TR user. Maybe even Dusclops. Oh lets not forget Cofagrigus either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)