XY OU Team Help/Advice?

Hey guys :) This is my first post here on Smogon, so yeah, Iv'e been into competitive battling for a while now, and I've been trying to focus on making a solid team. I have a couple teams actually, but this is the one I really like the most (It has some of my favorite Pokemon in it)

Azumarill
(M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Bounce
- Ice Punch
- Play Rough

Azumarill is actually a really good bulk/sweeper Pokemon. The reason that I choose Sap Sipper vs Huge Power is that since Azumarill is weak to Grass, alot of grass moves come his way. Instead of taking damage, he gets an attack boost :) Aqua Jet makes up for his lack of speed, Play Rough has great power and gets STAB too, and Bounce and Ice Punch are for grass coverage. Bounce and Ice Punch are both there to provide more type coverages, plus Bounce can be used to stall for a turn.

Breloom
(M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Force Palm
- Rock Tomb
- Seed Bomb

Breloom is also a physical sweeper, and I usually have him use Spore first. Rock Tomb gets Technican bonus and compensates for speed, plus covers flying weakness. Force Palm gets the Technican bonus too, and has a chance to paralyze. Seed Bomb I chose over Bullet Seed because I generally don't have good luck with Bullet Seed. It always goes 2 or 3 turns for me, but always seems to go 5 times for everybody else -_- lol.

Pinsir
(M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Pinisr is like, death with this setup. All you really need to do is Swords Dance once or even twice if you get a chance, and sweep from there. Mega Pinsir generally outspeeds most Pokemon I've come across except for high speed Pokemon like Deoxys S and Greninja. In those situations where he is out-speeded, Quick Attack provides the coverage :) It becomes Flying type, gets a bonus, and STAB, plus it has priority. Earthquake and Close Combat are just solid moves with great power, covering Pinsir's rock weakness and fire weakness.

Raichu
(M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Static
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Tackle
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch

Raichu is my favorite, and he's also my lead :) Generally, I have him use Fake Out, followed by a Knock Off. I can't tell you how helpful Knock Off is here on my lead Pokemon. Knock Off can cripple so many good strategies, and take out some of the most useful items like Leftovers and Evolites. Volt Tackle has amazing power and STAB, however I usually only use that if I really have to. I usually have him attack with that, or come back with Volt Switch so he can repeat the Fake Out + Knock Off combo again for another opponent later.

Dragonite
(M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Weakness Policy and Multiscale is just beautiful on Dragonite. I usually use Dragon Dance the first or second turns I have him out. If somebody tries to use a Super Effective move against him, he'll likely survive thanks to Multiscale, and the Policy will active giving him the extra boost :) Fire Punch compensates Ice Weakness, and Earthquake is just decent all around. Dragon Claw I perfer over Outrage, I don't like confusion and multi-turn moves. They can often set yourself into a trap since you can't switch out or use a different move.

Meowstic
@ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Psychic/Dark Pulse
- Light Screen

Mewostic is usually my second lead. He starts off with Thunder Wave, which can cripple alot of fast sweepers since he has priority with Prankster. I usually have him use his screens and come back, unless he can do some damage with Psychic. Sometimes I replace Psychic with Dark Pulse, since most people expect him to have a STAB move. Dark Pulse can give him ghost coverage too.

So yeah, thanks so much for reading and hopefully if you have any tips, please leave them! I love constructive criticism :) I'm open to replacing Meowstic with someone else, and I'm not sure about keeping Breloom either. So again, thanks for reading :)

Pictures were all found on Google Images and all rights to them go to their respective owners :)

Nice team you have here. I have a few suggestions.

Huge Power makes azumarill is a big threat where as Sap Sipper is pretty gimmicky as you have to come in on grass type moves to get a boost which are rare. Life Orb and Sap Sipper has a lower damage output than Huge Power and has recoil. Huge Power doubles attack so it's useful in nearly every situation. You also have several pokemon that resist grass type moves such as Breloom, Dragonite and Pinsir.

The common sets that most azumarill run are: Assault Vest, Choice Band, Belly Drum.

Assault vest can make Azumarill very bulky and can allow it to take super effective moves. Waterfall and Play Rough are its most powerful moves, Aqua Jet for priority and Knock Off / Superpower for utility and coverage.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Superpower

Choice band locks you into one move but when paired with Huge Power make Azumarill a ridiculously offensive threat.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Superpower / Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Aqua Jet

Belly Drum sets usually paired with a sitrus berry allows Azumarill to get a +6 in attack which can become an immediate threat. After Belly Drum, Waterfall and Play Rough stay as its most powerful moves for pokemon that are slower or cannot OHKO. Aqua Jet is to pick off weakened.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Breloom can’t really take a hit as its defences are fairly terrible. Focus Sash allows it to safely spore an opponent and to ensure you aren’t OHKO’d.

If you want it to be bulky then Poison Heal would be the better ability paired with a Toxic Orb. Max Hp and attack investment with allow it to hit as hard as possible and take some hits. With Poison Heal and Drain Punch you can recover quite a bit of HP fast. Mach Punch is for that priority as Breloom is slow while Seed Bomb is your secondary STAB move. Substitute can be setup when you know your opponent cannot get rid of one or when you predict a switch. Rock Tomb is to lower speed on switches.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute / Rock Tomb

Mach Punch, Bullet Seed and Rock Tomb are all affected by the Technician boost allowing Breloom to hit hard and as fast as possible. Mach Punch is a 90 BP move as well as has +1 priority this allows it to pick of weakened pokemon. Bullet Seed can break Substitutes while Spore is to put things to sleep successfully with Focus Sash intact.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Running Frustration / Return on Pinsir not only gives it another powerful STAB but also gives it better coverage than Close Combat and you won’t have to suffer the stat decrease.

Pinsir (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Frustration / Return

Raichu is fast but having a positive speed nature will allow not to get outsped by pokemon with base speed of 109 or less. A Timid or Hasty nature would work best to ensure this.

Seeing as how you have no fire coverage on this team Fire Punch would be beneficial on Dragonite. Extreme Speed give Dragonite a powerful priority to pick of weakened pokemon as well as using it as a last ditch effort when its about to go down. Speed investment can allow it to outspeed most pokemon after on Dragon Dance.

Dragonite (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Meowstic have the ability Prankster so three of its moves will go first when not facing priority users. A defensive spread with allow it to get up dual screens and T-Wave opposing pokemon easier.

Meowstic @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold
Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Psychic/Dark Pulse
- Light Screen

Hope I helped :]

Last edited:
Wow you're pretty thorough, haha. But yeah, I'll try out what you said, thank you :)
No problem :)

Ahh forgot to mention a hazard remover is going to be pretty important since dragonite gets it's multiscale broken upon entry and mega pinsir loses half it's hp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)