Team I couldn't think of a good name so I just typed this [OU RMT]

Ok, so I was getting bored with my old team and decided to make a new one. There was one Pokemon that I really wanted to try out, so I sort of built the rest of the team around it. This is a very offensive team, so please rate it as such. Without any further ado, here is my team.
Overview:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -Satk)
  • Iron Head
  • Trick
  • U-Turn
  • Stealth Rock
I have faced this lead many times in the past, and it has annoyed me incredibly. That is the reason that I chose to use it. Unlike most leads I have used in the past, with this one I don’t set up Rocks on the first turn. If the opposing lead is fast and will most likely Taunt, I use Iron Head to get some good damage and possibly get the flinch. If the opponent is a slower lead, the I will Trick my Scarf onto them. If the opponent doesn’t mind a Scarf and resists Iron Head, something like Starmie, for example, then I will U-Turn out to a counter and get some decent damage in.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 48 HP/252 Atk/208 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
  • Swords Dance
  • Mach Punch
  • Seed Bomb
  • Spore
I really love this Breloom set. Most people run a SubSeedPuncher, but I like using the Swords Dance set because it has more power. I Spore on the first turn out to cause a switch. On the switch, I Swords Dance and see what the opponent sends in. Mach Punch is my main move because of STAB and priority. Seed Bomb is there as a fairly powerful physical STAB. I realize that Grass and Fighting don’t offer the best type coverage, and I have been thinking about swapping out Seed Bomb for something like Stone Edge. I would really like your opinions on whether I should switch or not.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 Atk/216 Satk/208 Spe
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
  • Draco Meteor
  • Fire Blast
  • Earthquake
  • Roost
I, in the past, told myself that I wouldn’t use Salamence because I thought it was vastly overhyped and I liked Dragonite more. Well, I lied to myself. This Salamence is my team’s wall breaker and one of its most powerful attackers. I have Draco Meteor because of its sheer power and its ability to hit most Pokemon for at least neutral damage. Fire Blast is used for hitting more physically defensive Pokemon, most notably Steel types. Earthquake is for those who switch into Fire Blast, expecting it to be an all-special set, as well as most Steel types that aren’t floating. Roost is for healing off damage quickly. I went back and forth between Roost and Outrage, for physical STAB, but decided on Roost to heal off Life Orb recoil and residual damage from omnipresent entry hazards.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Timid nature: (+Spe, -Atk)
  • Thunderbolt
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hydro Pump
  • Trick
I removed my beloved Porygon-Z for this thing, so it had better work well. I'm using it as a special attacker as well as my Gyarados counter. Thunderbolt is for the KO on said flying sea dragon as well as being a great STAB move. Shadow Ball is also for STAB. I went for Rotom-W and Hydro Pump over Rotom-H and Overheat for two reasons. The first is that Hydro Pump doesn't lower my special attack after using it. The second reason is because it hits Flygon for neutral damage, as well as Scizor, whereas Overheat would KO Scizor but not hurt Flygon much.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/156 Def/216 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
  • Surf
  • Thunderbolt
  • Rapid Spin
  • Recover
Starmie is the Rapid Spinner and, to an extent, the status absorber of the team, since it has Natural Cure. Surf is for a STAB move. Thunderbolt allows Starmie to somewhat counter Gyarados. Rapid Spin is obviously for spinning away entry hazards and Recover is for quick health gain. In my opinion, Starmie is the odd man (fish?) out on this team. Only one of my Pokemon is weak to Stealth Rock, and only 1 is adversely affected by Toxic Spikes. I am very open to removing Starmie from my team in order to replace it with something that might have a little more synergy with the rest of my team.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/96 Satk/160 SpD
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hidden Power [Fighting]
  • Calm Mind
  • Will-O-Wisp
When I first started using this team, I had a Machamp in this slot. He worked OK, but I noticed I had quite a large Gengar weakness, so I switched to Spiritomb. So far, this is the Pokemon that has surprised me the most. Shadow Ball is for hitting Gengar super effectively, while HP Fighting complements it wonderfully in terms of type coverage. Calm Mind is to boost its Special Defense a little more while boosting its Special Attack. It allows Spiritomb to become a makeshift sweeper if the need for one would ever arise. Will-O-Wisp is to cripple Physical attackers who try to switch in on it. This EV spread and moveset is an amalgamation of a few from the Strategy Pokedex, so I’m not sure how it will do against specific opponents. If you have any opinions about them, please tell me as I am looking to make it better.

We there’s my team. It has done very well so far, but I want it to be as good as it can be, so all of your opinions are needed. My threat list and team building process are to follow.

Threat List

Aerodactyl: I usually only run into it as a lead, in which case Jirachi beats it with Iron Head.
---
Alakazam: Spiritomb is a reliable counter. It is immune to Psychic and Focus Blast and KO’s with Shadow Ball
---
Azelf: With flinch hax, Jirachi beats it as a lead. Again, Spiritomb also counters it well.
---
Breloom: I’ll switch something with low health in to absorb the Spore, and then move to Spiritomb so he can’t Focus Punch.
---
Dragonite: Salamence outspeeds most and KO’s with Draco Meteor
---
Dugtrio: Salamence or Breloom will come in after the kill and attack with Draco Meteor/Earthquake or Seed Bomb, respectively
---
Electivire: I don’t see them very often, but Salamence can come in on a resistance and KO with Earthquake
---
Empoleon: Every member of my team except Jirachi has a move that is super effective against it, so it should be a big problem.
---
Flygon: Probably one of the hardest opponents for my team to beat. Most of the ones I see are Scarfed, which is a problem. I guess I’ll bring Salamence in on the Earthquake, but if Salamence is gone, I'll bring in Rotom-W and hit it with Hydro Pump/Shadow Ball
---
Gengar: He is the entire reason that I put Spiritomb on the team, so Spiritomb should effectively counter it.
---
Gyarados: Rotom-W outspeeds and KO's with Thunderbolt.
---
Heatran: Salamence’s Earthquake will KO, and Spiritomb, Rotom-W and Starmie can switch in fairly easily as well.
---
Heracross: Salamence hits it hard with Fire Blast. Jirachi can flinch hax it to death if all else fails.
---
Infernape: Starmie is the prime counter, resisting Fire and Fighting. In theory, Salamence has the same resistances to Fire and Fighting and could work well too.
---
Jirachi: Salamence will do very well with Fire Blast and Earthquake. Rotom-W can hit it pretty hard with Shadow Ball as well.
---
Jolteon: Another Pokemon that could cause me a ton of problems. I have no surefire counter for it, but, its fairly fragile, so a neutral STAB hit will damage it a lot. Salamence also has Earthquake for it.
---
Kingdra: Salamence outspeeds when there is no rain and can damage it heavily with Draco Meteor.
---
Latias: Salamence’s Draco Meteor, Jirachi’s U-Turn, Spiritomb’s Shadow Ball, and Rotom-W's Shadow Ball will all damage it quite a bit.
---
Lucario: Salamence again does well with Earthquake/Fire Blast. Breloom can Mach Punch it as well. Spiritomb can come in on Close Combat and hit it with HP Fighting.
---
Machamp: Spiritomb comes in with immunity to DynamicPunch and hits pretty hard with Shadow Ball.
---
Magnezone: Salamence’s Earthquake/Fire Blast. Spiritomb’s HP Fighting.
---
Mamoswine: Jirachi can come in on Ice Shard and hit hard with Iron Head, but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Salamence, Starmie, Rotom-W, Spiritomb, and Breloom all pack super effective moves too, but need to be wary of incoming attacks.
---
Metagross: Salamence with Fire Blast/Earthquake.
---
Porygon-Z: Spiritomb comes in on Tri-Attack and can hit hard with HP Fighting.
---
Rhyperior: Starmie can kill it with Surf. Jirachi can Iron Head, but should watch out for Earthquake. All 6 on my team pack a super effective move.
---
Salamence: Salamence can try to Draco Meteor before he hits me. Jirachi can Iron Head for flinch hax.
---
Scizor: Salamence can Intimidate and OHKO with Fire Blast.
---
Starmie: My own Starmie can Thunderbolt it. It won’t enjoy Jirachi’s U-Turn, and Breloom can Seed Bomb as long as it doesn’t have Psychic or Ice Beam. Rotom-W and Spiritomb can beat it up with Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, respectively.
---
Togekiss: Starmie can Thunderbolt it. Jirachi will outspeed and hit with Iron Head.
---
Tyranitar: Jirachi haxes it well with Iron Head. Salamence hits hard with Earthquake, but is scared of Stone Edge. Rotom-W has Hydro Pump for it. Spiritomb has HP Fighting. Breloom is probably the best switch, with resistances to Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Crunch, while killing it with Mach Punch.
---
Weavile: Breloom should watch out for Ice Shard, but can kill it with Mach Punch.
---
Yanmega: Fire Blast from Salamence hurts it, but it doesn’t particularly enjoy and neutral hits.

Defensive Threat List:
Blissey: Jirachi can flinch it to death, Salamence can Earthquake it for massive damage, Breloom has Mach Punch. Spiritomb both has HP Fighting, so it can hit it fairly hard.
---
Bronzong: Salamence Fire Blasts it, and Rotom-W can wear it down with Shadow Ball.
---
Celebi: Really hates U-Turn from Jirachi and doesn’t like Fire Blast.
---
Cresselia: Jirachi can U-Turn. Rotom-W can deal with it nicely too.
---
Donphan: Ice Shard doesn’t kill Salamence with Intimidate and I can kill with Draco Meteor.
---
Foretress: Salamence’s Fire Blast.
---
Gliscor: Salamence with Draco Meteor hurts. Starmie can damage it with Surf
---
Hippowdon: Draco Meteor and Surf are good to get rid of it.
---
Skarmory: Salamence with Fire Blast and Rotom-W with Thunderbolt are good choices.
---
Snorlax: Two of my Pokemon have fighting moves, one being physical. Breloom handles it well.
---
Suicune: Salamence takes a chunk of health with Draco Meteor, but is afraid of Ice Beam. Seed Bomb hits it hard as well.
---
Swampert: Draco Meteor and Seed Bomb should work.
---
Tentacruel: Salamence can Earthquake, Rotom-W can Thunderbolt.
---
Vaporeon: Breloom’s Seed Bomb will hit hard, but he needs to be wary of Ice Beam.
---
Zapdos: Draco Meteor can hit it hard. Jirachi can flinch hax.

Team Building Process:
As I stated at the beginning, there was one Pokemon that I really wanted to try out, so I built a team around it. That Pokemon was Porygon-Z.

On offensive teams, I really like to have at least one attacker that is purely Special and one that is purely Physical. I had the Special one covered with Porygon-Z, so now I need to look for a physical one. I picked Breloom to cover this role.

I am a firm believer that, if you don’t have a good lead, you won’t have a good team. I also needed a Pokemon that could take a few hits, because Porygon-Z and Breloom are both relatively frail. I went with Jirachi.

Now I need a Pokemon that could take Fire and Ground moves aimed at Jirachi. A few that came to mind were Dragonite, Salamence, Flygon, and Gyarados. I also needed a mixed sweeper/wall breaker. Gyarados’ special attack sucks so I ruled him out right away. Flygon’s isn’t a whole lot better, and he’s out. I originally wanted to go for Dragonite, but I realized after a little testing that it just wasn’t fast enough to pull the job off as well as Salamence could. Pokemon number four is Salamence.

The next thing I wanted was something that could support the team a little bit, while still bringing some offense to the table. Not a whole lot of Pokemon do both at the same time extremely well. I also realized that with Salamence’s weakness to Stealth Rock and his Life Orb would be whittling away at his HP quite quickly. I resolved to rid him of one burden, and it wasn’t the Life Orb. I thought I needed a spinner, so I went with Starmie.

The final Pokemon was a Machamp. I had not used one in the past and wanted to try out a Restalk set.

I used it and had some success with it. One thing I did notice, though, was that it was kind of off on its own. It didn’t have much synergy with the rest of the team. Then, one match I was completely swept by Gengar. This was when I realized that I needed a Gengar counter. I removed Machamp and added Spiritomb in his stead.

A few different raters said that Rotom-W would make a better special sweeper that Porygon-Z. I tried it out a little bit and found they were right.

These six Pokemon have come together to make my current team. The team is effective, but no doubt flawed, which is exactly why I posted it here.

As youve said you kind of have no way of handling Gyarados other then Starmie who can lose to offensive variants with Life Orb. I suggest you get rid of the adorable PZ sorry it has to go. Sweepers in OU in my experience need to be excellent or resist Scizor's Bullet Punch. I suggest you replace it with a Rotom appliance. "H" gets overheat to take out Scizor with though you will have to watch out for Heatran and Tyranitar a "W" has Hydro Pump and can beat these though. Whatever you feel neccessary. This spread will always outspeed Gyarados who can be a problem for this team .

Rotom W/H @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Thunderbolt
Trick
Shadow Ball
Hydro Pump/Overheat

Rotom also helps you against bulky Waters such as Suicune that can calm Mind and proceed to sweep this team both offensive and defensive variants could be hard to take down.

Im not to keen on Spiritomb, unless it has been overly succesful for you, running Calm Mind. I think it will be more of a thorn in the opponents side with Pain Split instead. Overall this is a pretty unique team. I hope my suggestions help Good Luck.

I was afraid someone would say I should get rid of Porygon-Z, even though I love him. Is there any way that I could get rid out Starmie instead and still be successful?

On Spiritomb, I was pretty torn between Calm Mind and Pain Split myself, but the Calm Mind one has actually been quite successful for me. I'm still up in the air on it though. I assume that after more laddering on Shoddy one of them will become more useful than the other to me. I'll just see what happens.

I like this team a lot. I would run Pain Split over HP Fighting on Spiritomb, like latois6393 suggested. Stone Edge or Facade over Seed Bomb on Breloom. Vaporeon would be great over Starmie. Wish support is great for any team, and it can take Fire and Ground moves aimed at Jirachi, and Ice moves targeted at Salamence. Pretty nice team.

Hope I helped!

As youve said you kind of have no way of handling Gyarados other then Starmie who can lose to offensive variants with Life Orb. I suggest you get rid of the adorable PZ sorry it has to go. Sweepers in OU in my experience need to be excellent or resist Scizor's Bullet Punch. I suggest you replace it with a Rotom appliance. "H" gets overheat to take out Scizor with though you will have to watch out for Heatran and Tyranitar a "W" has Hydro Pump and can beat these though. Whatever you feel neccessary. This spread will always outspeed Gyarados who can be a problem for this team .

Rotom W/H @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Thunderbolt
Trick
Shadow Ball
Hydro Pump/Overheat

Rotom also helps you against bulky Waters such as Suicune that can calm Mind and proceed to sweep this team both offensive and defensive variants could be hard to take down.

Im not to keen on Spiritomb, unless it has been overly succesful for you, running Calm Mind. I think it will be more of a thorn in the opponents side with Pain Split instead. Overall this is a pretty unique team. I hope my suggestions help Good Luck.
I agree with this, but Discharge over Thunderbolt. Paralysis is always useful on a team with several relatively slow members.

salamence MAY have EQ for it, but jolteon in their right mind wont switch into a salamence hit SE or not. Jolteon is a big threat that some teams just dont have a sure fire counter for... Alternate way to deal with it would be switch in Rotom hit it with an attack and mach punch it with breloom and pray for a K.O.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Your team looks pretty solid and I can't imagine that there are too many things that need fixing, but I'll give you my thoughts on it.

First of all, in my personal opinion Breloom is a bit outdated. Having a physical sweeper is always important but I don't think Breloom is right for the job, seeing as he gets checked by too many things in this metagame. From looking at your team, I think Scizor would be a much better option over Breloom. Better typing and pretty much a better movepool. In our current OU metagame, scouting is great and can give you a huge advantage in certain situations, which is why I'd suggest CB Scizor to replace Breloom. Also, Quick Attack instead of Pursuit on your CB Scizor (assuming you take my suggestion) is something I think you should consider. Pursuit may be able to trap Ghosts, but most intelligent players will expect a Pursuit and keep their Ghost in for another turn to attack, in which case Bullet Punch would do the job just as well. Quick Attack gives you a way of dealing decent damage to Zapdos and Infernape, and having two priority attacks isn't bad at all. In a fast metagame, priority is essential.

The other problem I see is Spiritomb. Lately there are much better options than to use Spiritomb, one of them being Rotom-A, which you already have on your team. I really don't see what Spiritomb adds to your team and I'm sure you could make much better use of that last slot. You mention that you used to use Machamp instead of Spiritomb, but you ran into a Gengar weakness. Well, with CB Scizor instead of Breloom, you won't have that weakness anymore which means Spiritomb doesn't need to be on your team (neither does Machamp). With Scizor instead of Breloom, that gives you two Pokemon resisting Ice and Dragon, which means you can afford to add in another Dragon to your team without putting yourself at too much of a risk. I suggest using Scarfed Flygon as your second Dragon and second Pokemon with the ability to scout via U-Turn. I realize this leaves your team with 4 choiced Pokemon, which is why I'd like to mention that a Calm Minding Latias can also be viable as a replacement for Spiritomb, but it's your choice.

Anyway good luck with your team, and if you ever need advice with anything then feel free to send me a PM and I'd be glad to help.

Great advice, Thanks. I will try out Scizor instead of Breloom and I've been wanting to try out Latias anyway, so now is the perfect time. Do you think I should go with an offensive CM Latias or Defensive? Also, do you have any opinion on Starmie? I really don't think it fits in well, but I'm not sure what to replace it with.

As for the thing about 4 choice users (with Latias, it'll be 3), I'm not really too worried about it, since, chances are, Jirachi will Trick its Scarf onto something sooner or later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)