Team Intuition

Introduction

The team started of very simply, I wanted to be the very best. Like no one ever was. Hahahahaha, no. I wanted to be good at Wi-Fi :D The team started with me losing my first match to a friend. Anyways, onto the team.

At A Glance

Dissecting The Team

The Lead

Krystal|
Froslass @ Focus Sash

Ability| Cursed Body
EVs|
Nature|
Spikes
Taunt
Shadow Ball
Destiny Bond

How Does It Work?
It's a pretty simple lead. This team, as I stated, was made at first, to counter my friend's team. His lead is a Tyranitar. So the strategy is simple. Send it out, lay down Spikes. Get hit, PROBABLY to 1 HP, thanks to Focus Sash. Then I place Destiny Bond on the Pokemon, and take it down with me. If I have time I can either Shadow Ball or Taunt, depending on where the battle is going.

The Offense

Slice+Dice|
Scizor @ Choice Band

Ability|Technician
EVs|248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Nature|Adamant
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit

How Does It Work?
Amazing HP and Attack, great for scouting, tanking, and sweeping. Pursuit can do good damage to Psychic- and Ghost-types switching out, such as Gengar and Reuniclus. Superpower can do huge damage to some of Scizor's counters. Bullet Punch revenge kills a lot of dangerous things. U-turn gives it a great scouting move that can deal huge damage to Reuniclus and Tyranitar.

BamBam|
Conkeldurr @ Leftovers

Ability|Guts
EVs|120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
Nature|Brave
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Stone Edge

How Does It Work?
624 Attack and 339 Defense after a Bulk Up. Need I say more? Yes? Okay then, Bulk Up is obvious. Mach Punch to hit first in a tight situation to get the KO. Drain Punch + Leftovers allows it to stay in for a while to sweep. And then Stone Edge adds variety to the set.

T-Tar|
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf

Ability|Sand Stream
EVs|
Nature|Jolly
Earthquake
Crunch
Superpower
Stone Edge

How Does It Work?
This set relies on Tyranitar's massive Attack so that he doesn't need a set up. The set contains 4 different types of attacks to counter more enemies.

Glion|
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb

Ability|Poison Heal
EVs|252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Nature|Impish
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Protect

How Does It Work?
Earthquake and Facade gives excellent coverage and two strong moves to attempt a sweep with. Still checks Doryuuzu amd similar threats. Beats Skarmory and Nattorei due to Taunt, completely shutting them down. A spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly can still be used to make better use of Gliscors decent attack and speed stats, possibly making a sweep easier.

The Trick

Jello|
Reuniclus @ Life Orb

Ability|Magic Guard
EVs|192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Nature|Quiet
Trick Room
Psychic
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball

How Does It Work?
Low Speed makes it natural candidate for a Trick Room sweeper. Excellent Tyranitar lure. Needs teammates that can help it break past Blissey and Chansey; Scizor, Conkledurr, Tyranitar are good choices. Great coverage between attacks making it hard for offense to deal with this set.

you have waaaaaaaaaay too much going on. youre trying to accomplish a lot with just one team and you have too many pokemon trying to set up to be successful. Its never a good idea to set a team up to counter just one team

you have waaaaaaaaaay too much going on. youre trying to accomplish a lot with just one team and you have too many pokemon trying to set up to be successful. Its never a good idea to set a team up to counter just one team
Not quite sure what you mean that's where the team started. but not what its for

he means that your team has bad synergy. Your team has to go well with one another but this team just just looks like a bunch of pokemon piled into a team. You are trying to accomplish too much. At a glance at your team i saw 2 stallers, 2 choice banders, 1 bulk up guy, and one swords dancer. That is just way too jumbled. You should pick a team theme and go with it. By team theme i mean like sandstorm, rain dance, baton pass, stalling, etc. there are many themes to choose from and it helps your team a lot once you pick one. After you pick your theme you build your WHOLE TEAM around it not just 1 other pokemon. Lets take rain dance for example. you have two options starting out. You can go drizzle or rain dance. Drizzle makes it so you dont have to continueally use rain dance however rain dance makes it so you can have swift swimmers on your team. After you pick you then want about 3 abusers of the rain. some examples are azumarill, toxicroak, rotom-w, ludicolo, blastoise, vaporeon, etc. After you pick about three pokemon that make use of your theme you then want to get 1 or 2 counters. If you pick 1 counter then your last should be a pokemon that works well with the team that is a good wall. If you pick two you want them to be strong sweepers that have a variety of attacks. One good option on a rain dance team is Garchomp because he is strong, has a variety of attacks, and helps co unter sand sstorm teams. After you build your proto-type team you should then TEST it. Once you do a few battles you could usually figure out some of the flaws there are. Most people will post their teams and say in their introduction "hi this is my team it has a few flaws but i want some advice from you guys out in smogon" it usually is something like that. IF YOU KNOW THE FLAWS THEN WHY ARE YOU ASKING US. so once you work out the flaws you know about then post it and we can help ya then.

Overall this team probably wouldnt work too well online. I am sorry if i was a bit rude or offensive.

he means that your team has bad synergy. Your team has to go well with one another but this team just just looks like a bunch of pokemon piled into a team. You are trying to accomplish too much. At a glance at your team i saw 2 stallers, 2 choice banders, 1 bulk up guy, and one swords dancer. That is just way too jumbled. You should pick a team theme and go with it. By team theme i mean like sandstorm, rain dance, baton pass, stalling, etc. there are many themes to choose from and it helps your team a lot once you pick one. After you pick your theme you build your WHOLE TEAM around it not just 1 other pokemon. Lets take rain dance for example. you have two options starting out. You can go drizzle or rain dance. Drizzle makes it so you dont have to continueally use rain dance however rain dance makes it so you can have swift swimmers on your team. After you pick you then want about 3 abusers of the rain. some examples are azumarill, toxicroak, rotom-w, ludicolo, blastoise, vaporeon, etc. After you pick about three pokemon that make use of your theme you then want to get 1 or 2 counters. If you pick 1 counter then your last should be a pokemon that works well with the team that is a good wall. If you pick two you want them to be strong sweepers that have a variety of attacks. One good option on a rain dance team is Garchomp because he is strong, has a variety of attacks, and helps co unter sand sstorm teams. After you build your proto-type team you should then TEST it. Once you do a few battles you could usually figure out some of the flaws there are. Most people will post their teams and say in their introduction "hi this is my team it has a few flaws but i want some advice from you guys out in smogon" it usually is something like that. IF YOU KNOW THE FLAWS THEN WHY ARE YOU ASKING US. so once you work out the flaws you know about then post it and we can help ya then.

Overall this team probably wouldnt work too well online. I am sorry if i was a bit rude or offensive.
Wrong. building a team around a "theme" as you call it, isn't the right way (or the wrong way for that matter).

The rest of what you said is a pile of crap.

Also it sounds to me that you just got into competitive battling yourself. so you can't tell him what works or not, having 2 choice banders or 3 or 4, is not what makes a team bad or good.

You with the OP need to stop posting and check this beginner's tutorial, it will help get a grasp on how to start building a team and what to look for when choosing pokemon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgxkZ8HXmg&feature=channel_video_title

I don't see how frosslass can counter tyranitar with sand storm running. Trickroom doesn't seem to go well with your team. I think a calm mind variant would be superior.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
The team isn't that horrible although a few things do seem a little out of place. The first thing that I recommend switching out is Frosslass. Frosslass overall is inferior to other set up pokes less Forretress, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and the Deoxys Forms. While these pokemon usually get up multiple layers of hazards consistently Frosslass doesn't. I'd recommend Deoxys-S if you want a conventional lead. With screen support you can set up your pokemon more easily to get your sweeps off. On the other hand, you don't have a very solid defensive core with just Gliscor. Ferrothorn works very well with Gliscor if your need a set up poke and core. I recommend Sp Def ferro.

The spread on Ferrothorn should be
Nature Relaxed Item Leftovers/Shed Shell
EVs 252 hp 252 sp. def and 4 attack
Spikes/SR
Power Whip
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball

If you want you can run protect/t wave instead of gyro ball or power whip.
If you want to keep trick room you need to use slower pokes. For better team symmetry I'd recommend using calm mind instead of trick room.

For CM Reuniclus I recommend
Nature Bold Item Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs 252 hp 252 Defense and 4 Sp A is
Moves
Calm mind
Psyshock/psychic
Focus blast
Recover.

On scarf tar I'd recommend switching superpower to fire punch to better deal with ferrothorn since blissey/chansey aren't very common. Lastly, I recommend swapping CB scizor for Specs Latios.

Nature Timid Item Choice Specs
EVs 252 Sp A 252 Speed 4 def
Moves
Draco Meteor
Surf
Tbolt/HP Fire/HP Fighting
Trick

I recommend the switch from Scizor to Latios because you already have 2 sweepers and a revenge killer. You need a pokemon that punches holes in your opponents team and helps open up sweeps. Latios does this incredibly well because of it's massive special attack and speed. The last slot is a matter of preference. HP Fire will let you hit Scizor and Ferrothorn while HP Fighting lets you hit ttar for 2hkos. TBolt is for hitting Jellicent.

Wrong. building a team around a "theme" as you call it, isn't the right way (or the wrong way for that matter).

The rest of what you said is a pile of crap.

Also it sounds to me that you just got into competitive battling yourself. so you can't tell him what works or not, having 2 choice banders or 3 or 4, is not what makes a team bad or good.

You with the OP need to stop posting and check this beginner's tutorial, it will help get a grasp on how to start building a team and what to look for when choosing pokemon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgxkZ8HXmg&feature=channel_video_title

Buddy i never told him what was right and what was wrong i just said that having a bunch of random things going on isnt very good. And i personally tested this team too so why don't you actually try competetive battling and i didnt tell him what team to build i just used an example. And using a theme to build around is not a load of crap. If you do not have something to build around then it isnt going to be as successful. I doubt you have been playing for awhile or you would have known that. Maybe you should take a look at all the other successful teams on smogon because im willing to bet that 99% of those teams will be built around a theme or goal.

And finally one more thing its about that "you cant tell hi what works or not" why dont you read this rule for the forums
"8. When posting a team, do realize that you are posting it mainly for the purpose of people looking at it and criticizing it. If you cannot take that, do not post your team. It is fine if you explain why you are using your set and not the one they suggested, and of course you are always free not to take advice, but going all-out against offered help is not the way to do it."

That means that if i am critisizing his team i can tell him what i THINK. the key word in that sentence is think because people post their teams here asking for what people THINK of it that does not mean that everything that everyone posts is what YOU agree with.

Good Baton Passers in 5th Gen include:

Blaziken, Chandelure (W/chain setup), Smeargle, Ninjask, Scyther (I think), Ambipom.

As for making a team, I'm new too at competitive battling. The easiest thing for me to do is find a unique/strong pokemon I can base a team around. OR with milder success I do a check-list team, and incorporate things that I feel are important (Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, Phazer, Wall, Physical Attacker, Special Attacker, Status Absorber, Wisher, etc.) and try to get some nice synergy. But you always should have a base. And at the basic level, it's better not to try to have multiple bases with 2+ core pokemon until you can handle one. Yes pokemon naturally have synergistic partners, but sticking with one solid base helps keep everything centered and organized. When you get comfortable you can try themed teams and a Fire-Water-Grass Triple Core + others.

k first off ambipom is not a good baton passer he is very fragile and does not have the support moves like ninjask does. Second off blaziken with speed boost and baton pass is either banned or not possible (can't remember which sorry). As for chandelure you do not want a chain baton pass team in generation V. it will take too long and there are better options. Smeargle is one of the most fragile fully evolved pokemon i know but it makes up for it being able to learn every single move so it is more of an opinion on choosing that one or not. Ninjask is good. Never tried scyther though. Another good one that i prefer doing is this.

Gliscor
Poison Heal
Toxic Orb
Relaxed Nature
252 hp 200 spdef 56 def
Baton Pass
Swords dance
Substitute
Roost

This is a defensive gliscor set that provides swords dance and substitute for the baton pass and gives roost so gliscor doesnt get killed. It also has toxic orb + poison heal for a little more healing. Oh and also for omnipotente look at the post before me. Look at what he says. I am reffering to the "pick a pokemon and build a team around it" part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)