Team Kahuna, decent but unstable (UU)

I've managed to scrape the bottom of the Top 50 a few times, but I always managed to fall out. I think it's mainly because my team is really inconsistent because of how if my opponent discover my strategy I'm pretty much done for. Personally I think it's a pretty balance team, a good mix of sweepers and bulky Pokemon, but I've been accused of it being stall a few times on the ladder.

The premise of the team is try to get down as much Spikes and Stealth Rock as I can with Smeargle and Registeel. From there, I either try to break walls with Blaziken or forces switches with my RegiBro defensive combo. It works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It just depends on if I get lucky or not.

Team Overview:

Lead

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Magic Coat

Alright, this makes a decent anti-lead, and can occasionally catch people off guard. If it's a sleeper lead (Roserade, Ninetales, Rapidash) then I would Mirror Coat first, bouncing off their Powders and Hypnosis back to them. If it's something faster than me, I would just Spore 'em, and from there proceed to Spikes. Thunder Wave is mostly filler, as it's just there if I have an extra turn when using Smeargle as death fodder or something. The lead works fine, except if I'm facing the same person twice, then I have problems mainly because they can either read the mirror coat and I have to predict whether they're gonna attack me or status me.

Problem Pokemon for Smeargle:

Ambipom, Kangaskhan- I grouped these two together because they serve similar functions as Fake Out+Attack leads. If I face these two, I just go directly to Registeel.
Honchkrow- Doesn't do nicely with Spore, and I'm only allowed two layer of Spikes. It's not a bad thing, it's just I'm down 5-6 with two layers of spikes, which can be a mix blessing.
---

Spin Blocker

Mismagius (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

My spin-blocker. The set is explanatory: Shadow Ball for STAB, HP Fighting + Thunderbolt for coverage and trick when I wanna predict Sucker Punches or when Registeel or Chansey is going to switch in. This thing beats pretty much all spinners immediately, or at least scare them from spinning. I get to keep my Spikes on the field, and yep. It can also clean up late game if my opponent is weaken enough because Missy certainly has the stats to sweep at the same time.
---

Wall Combo

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/168 Atk/88 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 212 HP/252 Def/44 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

These two are pretty much unanimous with each other, so I'm hoping I can just do one description for them. Registeel deals with grass types, normal types, and Mismagius while Slowbro plays with the bulky waters and fighting types. Together, not many Pokemon can break through them, but if one of them is alone then I start struggling in the game. Speedy fighters tend to switch into Registeel so I decided to just give Thunder Wave in order mess around with them, plus, paralysis can really aid my team against annoying threats. Stealth Rock hits levitators and it guarantees that all Focus Sashes are broken by the time my opponent switches something in. Slowbro on the other hand is a bit more offense orientated using its psuedo-boltbeam to deal with stuff. These two force alot of switches, and with Spikes, that can be lethal for my opponent's team.
---

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 236 Atk/20 Spd/252 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave

I shamelessly ripped this off of HeySup, and I don't regret it one bit. Blaziken forces so many switches that every time I switch this in that something is going to get hurt (if I have Spikes+SR up). I went with Grass over Electric is because I needed something hit Lanturn and Quagsire, and I also needed some grass coverage on my team. There isn't much to say about Blaziken except for the fact that it's crucial to my team's success, and if it goes down too early, then I really have to pick up the pace again.
---

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch

The reason I chose Hitmontop is because of one line the analysis:
It functions particularly well as a late game sweeper, where residual damage from entry hazards and your other attacks start to take their toll on your opponent's Pokémon. With all the Spikes, SR, and residual damage flying around, it's pretty much guarantee that by the time I bring Top in, something has taken some damage. Mach Punch + Fake Out has really saved me from losing situations. Gah, I love it so much.
---

This is my second RMT and I'm hoping that maybe you guys see something that I overlooked. I really like this team, but maybe there are better alternatives to everything I have right now? All I know is that Milotic can be a bitch to me...

Well I'll give it a go since i played this team a couple teams with my alt team.

One thing i discovered is your Charizard Weakness, but im the only one who uses Charizard in the first place...so moot point i guess. But in all seriousness a sweeper Moltres could do the same.

Smeargle Lead+Registeel will usually work fine, but you should add Hitmontop leads as an issue, because i was using one, and you effectively couldnt do anything but switch out, due to Fake Out+Mach Punch. Also, Magic Coat works on Taunt to, which could really help youl.

Another thing that happened was Missy dying early almost every time, due to not being bulky enough imo.

Without a proper Special Fire Resistance, you had to go to Missy and Blaziken to take Fire Blasts after Charizard 2HKOed Slowbro.

Technitop is Technitop, fine.

Offensively you rely alot on Blaziken, who is too "slow" to rely on imo (my main team sort of remedies it by using Roserade and Espeon, and not relying on Blaziken). Blaziken forces switches, correct, but it cant effectively "Sweep", which puts alot of pressure on Technitop, who although is awesome, cant get passed certain Pokemon.

But you get cool points for using my Blaziken.

So now on to proposed changes:

~Smeargle is fine, consider Roserade though, as Roserade can effectively do the same thing while also havnig some offense but it does not have Magic Coat. Probably Keep Smeargle. Though, Roserade helps you with Shaymin and Milotic.

~Bulk Missy up imo, a Taunt/Pain Split/Wisp(or Twave)/Shadow Ball Missy can work wonders, especially when people expect the CMer. 252 HP, 220 Speed, 36 SAtk w/ Timid would work.

~Finally the biggest change i suggest, change Slowbro and Registeel, for Steelix+Milotic. Milotic is a much safer switch into the Wall Breaking Fires that are running rampant in the tier at the moment with its awesome Special Defense. All you need to do is Bulk up its Physical Defense and you have a nearly unkillable wall. With a Priority sweeper, you dont need Thunder Wave too badly, and it also allows you to use WoW on Missy without creating problems. Steelix can take Physical, and some special hits quite well, minus Fighting, Fire and Ground attacks from exceptionnally strong Attackers (E.G. Blaziken, Charizard).

If you notice, Missy+Milotic cover all of those weaknesses, while Steelix covers Milotics Electric weakness. Grass attacks are the only Neutral attack on the Combo, but weak ones can generally get Blaziken a free switch in. If you opt for Roserade, then you can even take the Grass attacks with ease. Shaymin is still, and will always be a problem though...

I'm trying out your suggestions right now and Steelix and Milotic is looking pretty fabulous right now. They resist each other weaknesses and the type coverage of Milotic is pretty fun for me. Although, I'm kind of iffy about Mismagius. I've tried your set and I'm really missing out on the ability to nail psychics.

But really, thanks for the suggestions on Milotic and Steelix. They work great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)